What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^The same way you can charge it. Through USB.

Though if you want an eBook reader, look into other ones before deciding on a Kindle. Other readers support more formats, don't have the DRM issues, and even have a lot of free books already.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Hey, thanks for the tips! Lorna Doone is free, eh? I like that.

However don't you have to have a wireless service to use a Kindle? Which I do not have. I don't even know how much it costs to have wireless service, or how to get it?
The Kindle itself is wireless - you turn on the device, connect to the Amazon Kindle Storefront via the menu, and can browse, download books, make a wish list, etc.. The service is included in the price you pay for the device. There's a U.S. version, and an international version. I have the latter, since I live in Europe, and have downloaded books from Amazon.com in three different countries, while on the train, at school, in the car, while out walking Jamie... It's dead easy. Amazon just bills my credit card.

If you want to download free books online, you save them to your hard disk, and then just transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable (included with the Kindle). You can also have Amazon send e-books directly to your computer, and transfer them to the device the same way. I keep copies of the books on my Kindle on my laptop. Amazon keeps records of the e-books you've bought, so you can download them again to your registered devices (Kindle, PC, smartphone).

You can also get free Kindle for PC software to read e-books without a Kindle. The apps are available for the iPhone, Mac, and other devices: Free Kindle Reading Apps

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links.

Okay let me be sure I understand.

When you buy a kindle, the wireless service is included in the purchase price. Meaning you do not have to purchase or already have any other wireless service.

With a kindle, no matter where you may be, you can access amazon and purchase a book and it will be on the kindle. You don't need a wireless card, or special access code that you will be charged minutes for, to access the books on Amazon.

For books that are free, you have to download them to your computer first, from Amazon, then transfer them to your kindle via a USB cable.

Do I have all that straight now?

I know nothing about wireless services. I have a pay as you go tracfone, which is fairly ancient. I buy a 365 day card once a year. I carry it in case of emergency. I've had it five years and have used it about that many times. I've used it to call the police when seeing a dog in a locked car in a hot parking lot, to call the police when I found myself behind a drunk driver, to call a missing dog number when I saw a dog that met the description on the flier, and to call my sister once when we were meeting for a hike deep in the mountains and I couldn't find the turn off road.

I do not give the number out, and have no idea how to access the voice mail on it.

I am not tech savvy!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, you've got it straight, except for the free books, which can be downloaded from other websites to your computer. You can also buy books from other websites. Some sites already have them in the Kindle format, while you may have to convert the format of others using freeware like Stanza.
The Kindle I enables you to download in the U.S., while the newer Kindle II works in the U.S. and a host of other countries. I believe there are now 3G (download anywhere through the cellphone system; that's what I have) and somewhat cheaper WiFi versions.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I am reading Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel. I got to like Bethenny from her reality shows and this book is not bad. Not really my cuppa tea, but interesting to see her writing.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I liked that one. I was on a Plantagenet/Tudor kick last Christmas, and read quite a few "historical romances". I liked this one about her successor: The Reluctant Queen by Jean Plaidy (Victoria Holt/Philippa Carr). You might enjoy Sandra Worth's "Rose(s)" series.
I'll have to check them out! I'm on the second book in the series now, The Red Queen. I REALLY enjoyed The White Queen and am hoping this one is just as good.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm re-reading The Hole by Guy Burt, Red Leaves by Paulina Simons, and The Secret History by Donna Tartt. 3 of my favorite books!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Victoria Holt's My Enemy The Queen I never read any of those others mentioned though. I'll have to check them out.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am reading a book called Lucy (don't know the author)
and I am reading The Order of Odd-fish by Kennedy.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oooh I love that book! How's it going? I like to reread the Austen books in winter. I usually do the Brontes at the same time.
I love Jane Austin & the Brontes too. Not read them for ages though. Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books. I also love Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh.
I am currently reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Before that I read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher (the name of the author escapes me!) and The Nightwatch by Sarah Waters.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Currently reading Never Let You Go by Erin Healy. It's not bad so far, but I don't really "get" it yet and am hoping it will eventually all make sence.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

When I was a child in England, I loved the American What Katy Did books by Susan Coolidge. Did you ever read those?
I LOVED this book, just finished it. I am sad my library system doens't seem to have the others, I really can't be buying any books right now,

Reading this made me want to read Old Fashioned Girl again by Louisa May Alcott, so at least I have something else to read now that I am done with Katy for the time being.

If you have not read Old Fashioned Girl, I think you would like it, since you like Katy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I LOVED this book, just finished it. I am sad my library system doens't seem to have the others, I really can't be buying any books right now,

Reading this made me want to read Old Fashioned Girl again by Louisa May Alcott, so at least I have something else to read now that I am done with Katy for the time being.

If you have not read Old Fashioned Girl, I think you would like it, since you like Katy.
OMG! I LOVED An Old Fashioned Girl!!! I don't think I know anyone else who read it!!!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I'm re-reading The Hole by Guy Burt, Red Leaves by Paulina Simons, and The Secret History by Donna Tartt. 3 of my favorite books!
I read TSH back over the summer. That Henry was a piece of work. I also like The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, though some people find it tedious. Right now I am reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's over a thousand pages long. Whew! I've got to finish it so I can return it to my friend at work before she retires in December.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I LOVED this book, just finished it. I am sad my library system doens't seem to have the others, I really can't be buying any books right now
Glad you enjoyed WKD. I just checked on Amazon.com. For $5.80 you can buy What Katy Kid, What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next. A couple of bucks for s/h - that's not a bad price for 3 paperbacks.

Did you know that your library can order books for you? It's easy to do on line. If you request a book, they have to get it for you, even if they have to borrow it from another library.

Haven't read OFG by Alcott, never heard of it, but will check into it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

Glad you enjoyed WKD. I just checked on Amazon.com. For $5.80 you can buy What Katy Kid, What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next. A couple of bucks for s/h - that's not a bad price for 3 paperbacks.

Did you know that your library can order books for you? It's easy to do on line. If you request a book, they have to get it for you, even if they have to borrow it from another library.

Haven't read OFG by Alcott, never heard of it, but will check into it.
Yes thanks my library system encompasses 4 counties and over 70 libraries! But What Katy Did is the only book by Susan Coolidge they have. I'm so grateful to you for telling me about her though.

$5.80 plus s&h is not normally something I would mind spending on books, however I have had to place a hold on ALL personal gratification spending for the time being.

It's no good me making a budget and then saying "yes but this is only $8" every time I want something. Normally I do have a place in my budget for things like books and DVDs. Lucky for me MTM season seven had been budgeted in a couple of months ago or I wouldn't even have that!

But right now I am facing some financial challenges with an income cut, and another mouth to feed, (Queen Eva) plus her spay looming, I have to be firm with myself.

So I will have to wait to find out what Katy did next, and in school. <sigh>

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I will have to wait to find out what Katy did next, and in school. <sigh>
Otto, let me ask you this. Do you stream a lot of shows on Netflix, like I do? Because you could have streamed MTM rather than buy the DVD. I didn't realize MTM was in Netflix library so I bought the DVDs.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Currently reading Never Let You Go by Erin Healy. It's not bad so far, but I don't really "get" it yet and am hoping it will eventually all make sence.
I did not enjoy this at all! Far too "out there" and really too religious for my liking.

Now reading Last Dog On The Hill by Steve Duno and loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.