What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading heaps lately whilst waiting for kittens!

My last book was Thyme Out by Katie Fforde. It was fabulous.

I tried to read Clan of the Cave Bears a few years ago and every time I read a couple of pages I fell asleep. The only other book that made me do that was the Hobbit. Both boring as heck.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone read anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon?? I started her dark hunter series, I think that's what they're called, and I'm only 10% into the book and I just don't think I'm going to like it- it's all about sex so far lol...
And the plot seems sooo made up, it's about a sex slave who comes to life when he is summoned by this girl's best friend, because the best friend thinks she needs to get her laid

It just seems kind of dumb to me to be honest..
Anyway I will most likely give up on this, but I'm just asking to see if anyone has any insight as to whether it gets better as I keep reading...

Before that, I read Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay. It's about the holocaust in France, and it was very sad, but it's kind of lightened by the person telling the story who is an American journalist living in Paris, who starts uncovering all these family secrets that relate back to the time of the holocaust. Anyway I couldn't put it down, even though it was extremely sad sometimes you need a book that just stirrs your emotions and has a psychological affect on you..

Other than that I've been reading more of the In Death series by JD Robb, Kelley Armostrong's Personal Demon, and a few novels by Haruki Murakami- After Dark which was awful, and Kafka on the Shore.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been spending hours reading The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, What Does the Bible Really Teach? and peek into the Reasoning from the Scriptures in preparation for tomorrow's Memorial for Jesus Christ.

The most reading I've done at one time (due to eyes) in a looooooong time... AND my magnifying glass is a little scratchy...... eye, eye, eyeeeeeeeee, lol

Julie O'

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading The Chronicles of Narnia. The book I have is all seven books bound in one book. I am on the 4th book, Prince Caspian.

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im a mystery reader.James Patterson, Lisa Gardner, Dean Koontz are some of my favorite author's. I've just recently gotten into Tess Gerritsen, I've read about 4 of her book's so far. Right now Im reading her book Vanish...it's pretty good
Any recommendation's on mystery book author's??

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like all those authors, i think i would include Ian Rankin and Lee Child in that category. My recent favourite author is Val McDermid. I also used to read Jeffrey Deaver but not read any for a while. Also like things like Patricia Cornwell. If you don't mind legal books, John Grisham is good. Will have to look at the bookcase for more

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank's booktigger, I plan on going to the library today and will check those out. I have read some of John Grishams' book's but not very many, cant get into them as much.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I am reading The Chronicles of Narnia. The book I have is all seven books bound in one book. I am on the 4th book, Prince Caspian.
My husband had the whole series when he was little. When the first movie came out- we all read the book. I got up to Caspian- and quit reading b/c I didn't like them.

The movies are ok- on their own. It kind of aggrivated me when in Prince Caspian they made such a big deal over how much the oldest Pensive child liked Caspian.

The last movie was good too- stuck pretty much to the book.

Though I heard that there may not be anymore b/c they can't find someone to produce the rest of them.
Cheryl

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

My husband had the whole series when he was little. When the first movie came out- we all read the book. I got up to Caspian- and quit reading b/c I didn't like them.

The movies are ok- on their own. It kind of aggrivated me when in Prince Caspian they made such a big deal over how much the oldest Pensive child liked Caspian.

The last movie was good too- stuck pretty much to the book.

Though I heard that there may not be anymore b/c they can't find someone to produce the rest of them.
Cheryl
I practically learned to read on the Narnia books. Five kids, one set, seemed like one of us was always waiting for another to get finished with one of the books when I was growing up. I still re-read them periodically and had no interest in seeing any of the movies. I did have to see the first one, as part of my work, and it wasn't too bad, but I will probably not ever see any of the others.

Just finished Finny by Justin Kramon, it was very good. Now reading You Could Do Better by Stephanie Lehman. It's just fluff, but pretty good for all that. Better than Bridget Jones even.

To the poster who likes detective books you could try the Kinsey Milhone series by Sue Grafton. I'm not a big mystery fan, but I love those.

And of course there's always Agatha Christie!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How could i forget Agatha Christie, i love her books! More medical but i like Robin Cook. Also authors like Kathy Reichs and Karin Slaughter. Michel Chrichton is good too. Have read a couple of Minette Walters that were good and Peter James and Peter Robinson. More horror, but James Herbert is good.

A few years ago i bought the full Chroniclesof Na6ia set but i had never read the whole set before and had a bit of a shock at the end. I haven't watched the second film yet but it is on my to watch pile

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Finished Case Studies by Kate Atkinson which I really enjoyed! Fast paced read with an enjoyable storyline.

Just started Dark Paradise by Tami Hoag and I'm already finding it a little hokey, so we'll see I guess.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Tami Hoag but don't think i have read that one. Am just about to start reading Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I really like Ian Rankin's books.

Since it's been a long weekend, I've gotten in a bit of reading: Ann Rule's In the Still of the Night, Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear, Don Lasseter's Deady Deceit and Steve Jackson's Love Me to Death.

Other recent reads have been Jonathan Kellerman's Mystery and Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl...I've had it forever and didn't think I'd like it but it's pretty good so far
I love that book! I'm still plugging away at The Land of the Painted Caves, the sixth and final book of the Earths Children series by Jean Auel.. Very disappointing, not even close to par with her earlier work. Most of it is incredibly dull.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have nearly finished The Monster in the Box by Ruth Rendell, haven't really enjoyed it that much. Am then going to give Mr Darcy Vampyre a go but not sure it is my kind of thing. Am then going to start on some Peter Robinson books

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently, a really dumb book!!

Wuthering Bites

I ran out of reading material and saw a bunch of books either at Walmart or Safeway on sale, so based purely on book cover designs and topic, I picked up a few.

I wouldn't recommend it. I think I'm on page 60 something and it's been over a month!!! It's mostly bathroom reading

EDIT: I just read the reviews, and it seems that what people are finding so wonderful about this book has been completely lost on me. I still wouldn't recommend it!

Status
Not open for further replies.