What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Thanks for the reminder about Jodi's new book, Kailie. I have reserved it for when my library has it in April. I'm number 24 on the reserve list out of 2 copies. But I cannot afford to buy books right now.
That's why I love my ereader and go to a website where I can pretty much get any book for free.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if there are places where you can test E-readers. I don't know if it's the part in me that doesn't look change but I love cuddling up with a book. Does it feel the same with an e-reader?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I wonder if there are places where you can test E-readers. I don't know if it's the part in me that doesn't look change but I love cuddling up with a book. Does it feel the same with an e-reader?
It does actually!
I was a little apprehensive myself, as I have always loved books, but truthfully I adore my Kobo, and can't imagine not having one now.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

It does actually!
I was a little apprehensive myself, as I have always loved books, but truthfully I adore my Kobo, and can't imagine not having one now.
I'll do some research and see if I can "test drive" one! Thanks for the advice.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, it does! And when you fall asleep, you don't lose your place!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just about to start reading killing the shadows by val mcdermid

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Check out any major book chains near you - one or more of them should have e-readers on display. I've got a leather "book cover" for my Kindle, so I don't see much difference (and sometimes find myself going to turn the page instead of pressing the button.

Have you tried out the e-readers (free) for PCs, laptops, smartphones, etc.? They would give you a general idea.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the kindle app for my smart phone. I wouldn't want to use it for reading all the time. Have looked at them in shops but too expensive at the moment. It would have an advantage with some of the books i like to read tho as they can be quite thick!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What a horribly boring waste of time!

Now reading Chosen by Chandra Hoffman.
REALLY good book, very intense, and reads kind of like a Jodi Picoult book.

Read Crank by Ellen Hopkins yesterday, very fast read, pretty good.

Now reading God Hates Us All by Hank Moody.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Blue Shoe by Anne Lamont. I really liked it and the two Jennifer Weiner novels before that (Kailie were you the one who recommended her? I got three, but only like two, Little Earthquakes and Best Friends Forever, the third started so slow I abandoned it almost immediately)

Now reading Strangers by Dean Koontz. I read it when it first came out, in the 1980s. Lost my copy and have spent the last 25 years trying to remember what the book was and who it was by. Last week for some reason the title of the book popped into my head and I looked it up on Amazon and there it was, so I bought it.

This particular edition isn't so great. The print is tiny and runs all the way across the page into the edge on the inside, so you can't see the final word and have to practically break the spine of the book. Annoying.

But I'm glad to be reading it again, anyway.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm reading What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Just finished Blue Shoe by Anne Lamont. I really liked it and the two Jennifer Weiner novels before that (Kailie were you the one who recommended her?
Nope, but now I'm going to have to check it out!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and I absolutely loved it.

Now I just started The Alchemist's Daughter by Katharine McMahon.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished fever of the bone by val mcdermid, which i thought was fantastic, i could barely put it down and just starting to read a darker domain by her.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now reading The Honk And The Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts.
I really liked that.

I've just started an Ira Levin kick. This Perfect Day currently, Rosemary's Baby next. The Stepford wives after that. Then I may try some of his others.

These are library books, so I've put aside Strangers (Koonz) for the moment, since I own that I can read it when the library books are finished.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. It seems I haven't posted to this thread in forever. But, rest assured, I've been very well read during that time.

When I had jury duty back at the end of February, I read a number of books including Tick Tock by James Patterson, Cleo by Helen Brown, and These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf. I loved Tick Tock as it was very suspenseful and kept my mind working despite being physically limited to a small, overcrowded room. I was not as impressed with Cleo. I had a hard time truly getting into the book. The beginning moved very s l o w l y, but then the end was uncharacteristically fast-paced. And, it really was more about the author and her experiences than the family pet who supposedly "mended" the family. And, I really enjoyed These Things Hidden. It was a fairly easy read, but it kept my attention throughout -- I was definitely surprised at how everything ended. In fact, because of that, I have downloaded the author's other novel and am looking forward to reading that shortly.

Recently, I've read Love You More by Lisa Gardner and Bringing Adam Home by Les Standiford and Joe Matthews. I loved the Lisa Gardner book. I can't say it was my favorite, but it was an excellent read. I need to find out when her next novel comes out because I'm already going through withdrawals. And Bringing Adam Home was interesting. It's a true crime book about Adam Walsh who was abducted and murdered in the early 1980's. At times, it was very difficult to read due to the subject matter. Well, actually, a lot of the book was that way. But, it was eye-opening at the same time -- especially as the investigation was detailed. It was a trying book and, at times, had me feeling almost sick to my stomach or near tears, but it was interesting. I certainly have a great respect for John Walsh and his wife, that's for sure.

I have a number of books waiting for me. So, I should be posting to this thread again any day now

Status
Not open for further replies.