Vomiting And Diarrhea- No Other Symptoms

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still waiting on the radiologist’s report...

PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws , no they didn’t run a urinalysis. They didn’t mention that as a possible test to do either. :dunno:
Hm, that's odd. :dunno:

(abyeb, -note: even though I have my settings right, the Mention feature only works in an online Alert form for me; I get no emails indicating anyone's Mentioned me... I do get conversation email alerts, however. I'll be signing offline soon, so if you'd like to keep me notified via an email, you'll have to convo me! :hugs: )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie has just been discharged! The radiology report was delayed, but they said that he’s stable. They’ll let me know if they find anything when they receive the report. They didn’t put him on fluids, because they said that he is well-hydrated.

The diagnosis was gastroenteritis. They told me to keep him on a bland diet and to take him back in if his symptoms worsen or he doesn’t improve within three days. Charlie’s food is the Hills k/d, which they said IS a bland diet, so they told me I can just keep him on that. So, basically, no change from normal routine. :dunno:

Right now, Charlie is hiding, which isn’t like him. I hope he will come out once he has some time to relax after what was probably a stressful experience for him.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie has just been discharged! The radiology report was delayed, but they said that he’s stable. They’ll let me know if they find anything when they receive the report. They didn’t put him on fluids, because they said that he is well-hydrated.
The diagnosis was gastroenteritis. ...

Right now, Charlie is hiding, which isn’t like him. I hope he will come out once he has some time to relax after what was probably a stressful experience for him
He may hide a little while. Some cats (maybe most cats!) get what's called stress induced hyperglycemia from just visiting a vet, not to mention from having a lot of diagnostic tests done to them by a vet! That spike in blood sugar may make him feel a bit weird, if it happened to him too; seems like a lot of cats hide at times like this.

I'm hoping he will keep improving, abyeb! :vibes: :vibes:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The diagnosis was gastroenteritis. They told me to keep him on a bland diet and to take him back in if his symptoms worsen or he doesn’t improve within three days. Charlie’s food is the Hills k/d, which they said IS a bland diet, so they told me I can just keep him on that. So, basically, no change from normal routine. :dunno:

Right now, Charlie is hiding, which isn’t like him. I hope he will come out once he has some time to relax after what was probably a stressful experience for him.
But gastroenteritis has an underlying cause. Any ideas as to what that is?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
But gastroenteritis has an underlying cause. Any ideas as to what that is?
If those tests they did were clean, it might well be a virus, carried by anyone around him.
No, they didn't say what the underlying cause could be. I guess it couldn't have been bacterial, because they didn't prescribe antibiotics.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Well, some boiled chicken breast may help to settle his stomach a little bit tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip! I haven’t given Charlie anything but his prescription k/d for over a year now. Do you find that boiled chicken is gentler on cats’ stomachs than standard cat food?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends entirely on the cat, as some do not tolerate well chicken. When Freya had diahrrea, however, chicken was what would make her stools be firmer and actually the only thing she would eat with apetite.

You can serve it with some of the water you sre using to boil the chicken to help keeping him hydrated, they usually like that chicken "flavoured" water.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
No more bouts of vomiting or diarrhea for Charlie this evening! :)

He is still acting more reserved than usual, but he came out out of hiding this evening for a bit.

Good night, everyone! Thanks again for all of your kind wishes and support. I really appreciate it, and I’m sure Charlie does too. :grouphug:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he seems to be doing better! Is it possible he may have eaten a bug or something that didn't agree with him. Maybe a spider or a spider bite?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad he seems to be doing better! Is it possible he may have eaten a bug or something that didn't agree with him. Maybe a spider or a spider bite?
That could be a possibility, but it’s so cold here that there aren’t really any bugs around anymore. :dunno:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie didn't vomit overnight! And he finished his breakfast! :jive:

He did have diarrhea, though. No solid poops since Saturday morning. I just refilled his water dish, and he's drinking water as I type. Charlie does also have a water fountain as well, but he doesn't use it because the sound of running water freaks him out. I'll be monitoring his hydration throughout the day.