Vomiting And Diarrhea- No Other Symptoms

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry this is happening at a bad time. My cat was sick over Christmas too, I know what it’s like when your vet is closed. If your regular vet isn’t around tomorrow try googling vets close to you that are open on holidays. I was able to find a couple that I didn’t know had holiday hours and was able to avoid the emergency. Hopefully you can find something too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie’s doing a lot better this morning! No vomit overnight. He did have a very small amount of diarrhea, but not nearly as much as yesterday. He’s eating his food, and his energy level seems good. He’s running around and scratching his post. Should I still take him into the vet? I would be willing to, if you think it’s still necessary.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If he yas been able to reatinbfood in his stomach for longer than three hours, I think he is safe now :)
Phew! That’s great news to hear! Hopefully he is able to keep his breakfast down! I’ll still keep a close eye on him.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be here every now and then today (lots of cooking and some final cleaning to do), to check your updates on his state :hugs:

I have the feeling that he will be just fine:crossfingers:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Within an hour of eating his lunch, Charlie threw up again and had another bout of diarrhea. I’m taking him into the emergency vet now.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They are performing an abdominal radiograph to check for an obstruction. They will also test for pancreatitis and run blood work. I will keep you updated. Thank you, everyone, for your support.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the delay; it took a while to get the test results back. Charlie is negative for pancreatitis, and there was nothing clear on the radiograph, but they sent it off to a radiologist just to be sure. They said that right now they’re thinking it’s gastroenteritis. That’s all the information I have for now, I’ll update back when I learn more.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is what I thought would be the most likely cause, and the main reason I thought about electrolites yesterday, but Charlie seems to be quite strong as he had no signs of dehydration last night. That is good, hope he will be back to his normal self in a few days :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what I thought would be the most likely cause, and the main reason I thought about electrolites yesterday, but Charlie seems to be quite strong as he had no signs of dehydration last night. That is good, hope he will be back to his normal self in a few days :)
Vomiting, diarrhea, not eating or drinking can start a cat down the road to dehydration. You can almost count on mild dehydration when those are present... it's the moderate to severe dehydration that really starts in when you begin seeing the more prominent signs/symptoms of dehydration. It's really good Charlie got to the vet to be checked out!
:redheartpump:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Still waiting on the radiologist’s report...

PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws , no they didn’t run a urinalysis. They didn’t mention that as a possible test to do either. :dunno: