Vomiting And Diarrhea- No Other Symptoms

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie has been doing well all day- he played enthusiastically this morning with his new toy and enjoyed watching the birds in the garden as usual. I went out for an hour, and when I came back I noticed that Charlie had vomited on the rug. I know for sure it wasn’t a hairball. From the looks of it, it was mostly digested. I checked his litterbox as well, to see that he had diarrhea. Since he has no other symptoms, I was planning on monitoring him tonight and then taking him into the vet tomorrow if he vomits again, or has more diarrhea. Does this approach make sense? I would be willing to take him into the emergency vet tonight if you think it’s necessary.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does he behave? Does he show any signs of pain, discomfort, lethargy? If there is nothing out of comlon in his behaviour, I would wait until tomorrow, going to the emergency vet is always stressful for cats and owners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How does he behave? Does he show any signs of pain, discomfort, lethargy? If there is nothing out of comlon in his behaviour, I would wait until tomorrow, going to the emergency vet is always stressful for cats and owners.
Thank you for your response! No, he doesn’t have any other symptoms. He’s following me around the house as usual and seems lively.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you introduced anything new into his diet? Could he have ate something he wasn't supposed to?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if Charlie behaves normally, then I would say it is, fortunately, not an emergency. Check him and litterbox in the morning to see if there are any changes so that you can answer vet's questions.

Let us know if there are any changes and hownis he feeling :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you introduced anything new into his diet? Could he have ate something he wasn't supposed to?
No diet change for a while now... but I suppose it’s always possible he licked a little piece of cheese or something off the floor. I don’t use any cleaning products on the floor or have any toxic plants.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if he's behaving normally then your approach of waiting it out until tomorrow sounds good.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s doing worse now... he’s refusing to eat and had more diarrhea...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie just threw up again :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the repeat posts, I’m just really worried about Charlie and I want to keep you updated in case you think I should take him in to the emergency vet. Charlie did just eat the bit of food I offered him earlier, which I was ecstatic about. It’s just not like him; he usually eats enthusiastically as soon as I give him his food.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the repeat posts, I’m just really worried about Charlie and I want to keep you updated in case you think I should take him in to the emergency vet. Charlie did just eat the bit of food I offered him earlier, which I was ecstatic about. It’s just not like him; he usually eats enthusiastically as soon as I give him his food.
If I were you I would take him in to the emergency vet. These symptoms sound worrying to me. I wonder if he ate something he shouldn't have. It might not hurt to just call the emergency vet and tell them what's going on and what they suggest to do. They are usually busy so they probably won't tell you to come in if it's unnecessary. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If I were you I would take him in to the emergency vet. These symptoms sound worrying to me. I wonder if he ate something he shouldn't have. It might not hurt to just call the emergency vet and tell them what's going on and what they suggest to do. They are usually busy so they probably won't tell you to come in if it's unnecessary. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.
Calling now... am still on hold. I will let you know what they recommend.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They told me that they can’t tell over the phone if it’s an emergency or not! I don’t know what to do now. Charlie seems to have perked up suddenly, and is back to following me around, as he always does. He also ate more of his food. I will continue to monitor him over the next half hour. If he doesn’t have any other issues during that time, would it be okay to wait until morning?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say, unless he is showing dehydration, a lack of acyivity, pain or any other really warning sign, that you can wait. My advice would be not letting Chatlie eat for two hours and then trying again. Of his tummy isbupset, eating too early will make him vomit again.

If he looks dehydrated, though, I would take him to the vet, since diahrrea+vomiting is a hard combo and they meay want to give him electrolites.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would say, unless he is showing dehydration, a lack of acyivity, pain or any other really warning sign, that you can wait. My advice would be not letting Chatlie eat for two hours and then trying again. Of his tummy isbupset, eating too early will make him vomit again.

If he looks dehydrated, though, I would take him to the vet, since diahrrea+vomiting is a hard combo and they meay want to give him electrolites.
How do I test for dehydration?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I usually do the skin test, but there are somenother ways of checking it. Here is a link to them, I don't want to risk explaining it wrong

How to Check Cats for Dehydration
Okay, thank you so much for the link! From the skin test, it seems he is okay. His eyes don’t look sunken, either. He doesn’t let me check his gums. He hasn’t had any other problems now, and is acting more normally too. I think I will take him in first thing in the morning. It will still be the emergency vet, because it’s New Years.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are great news abyeb abyeb

I think that is the best plan, going in the morning is way less stressful for Charly. Please let me know tomorrow how things evolve. I am going to sleep a little bit more now, but you two are in my prayers.