Vibes for my Tolly please

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail- have you tried Hill's A/D? (I didn't check back through the thread, so sorry if you already tried the A/D ) You could get a can or two from the vet. It is highly nutritious and for cat's and dog's alike. I have been syringing some into my sweet old baby Wilbur (dog). He does love it and I then feel he is getting something healthy and calorie packed too :nod:.... Maybe Tolly might like it :dk:.. Just very "thankful" you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Tolly :heart3: :clap::clap::clap::clap: Continuing with sending the vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you for reminding me! My vet suggested the a/d too, but I forgot about it. In times past he wouldn't touch it but it certainly is worth another try.

If he likes milk, you might try some half and half. I know with my kitties, it doesnt cause any upset tummies like milk does. I believe it is lower in milk sugars than regular milk, but it does have fat. I'm sure its not the best option, as Im sure you would prefer it from food, but I just thought I would throw that out there just in case.
Thank you! Tolly used to like my cereal milk but hasn't had any interest in it in years. I did ask my vet about butter, which he loves, but she was worried it might give him diarrhea. He loves cheese too, so he might get some fat that way. Meat fat is so much better for him than dairy fat though....sigh...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! for passing that link along :nod:!! AND wow, Tolly really has had some serious health issues from the start. Bless you for loving him and caring for him all of these years :heart3: :heart3: He was on lucky little tiny baby to have found you in the middle of a rain storm - makes me sniffle and smile all at the same time!!!!
Aw thanks. I've always felt that Tolly and I were meant to be together. We are One, Tolly and me.

Just checking in to see how he's doing. I'm glad he's enjoying the turkey so much. I guess that means you'll have to roast a turkey leg for him every week now!
LOL! Whatever it takes.:lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry your vet's out sick! Hope she feels better soon! (I hope she wasn't sick yesterday!)

I think I smell roast turkey leg in your future..... :D :hugs:

Yes, whatever it takes. :lol3: Continued :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for you and Tolly!

Sounds like it was a lovely Thanksgiving. :heart3:

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in, I'm still thinking about you and Tolly.. I'm glad to hear Tolly's been enjoying his turkey, and I hope he starts wanting to eat more (cat)foods too!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If he likes milk, you might try some half and half. I know with my kitties, it doesnt cause any upset tummies like milk does. I believe it is lower in milk sugars than regular milk, but it does have fat. I'm sure its not the best option, as Im sure you would prefer it from food, but I just thought I would throw that out there just in case.
We give our cats Sip and the Whiskas milk for cats. It's supposed to be better for them and many cats who can't digest regular milk seem to do pretty good on Sip. It might be worth a shot for some a bit of extra fat.

I'm glad that Tolly had a good day and you felt comfortable holding off on his vet visit. (Banshee was on prednisone for about three years or so, due to very bad asthma issues. I know it's different with each kitty, but thought I'd mention that she got very hungry and was more than ready for her food....something about the prednisone can do that sometimes. It takes awhile for the pred to really kick in, but hopefully it will make Tolly want to eat more.)

Sending more
for your little guy! And some
 for you, too.

juliec

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just reading about Tolly's story for the first time. Will be keeping you & Tolly  in my thoughts.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking on us you guys. Tolly is doing okay. He's large and feeling a bit awkward from the bulk of the fluid. I've put a litter box up here in my bathroom since he seems to be having trouble with the stairs now. He gets down them okay I think, but after he uses the litter box, he sits at the bottom of the stairwell and stares up for a long time before he comes up.

He still likes getting up on the middle shelf of the Tower and I have set up two ways for him to get up and down with out too much effort.

I don't know if he has used the box up here or not yet. Mazy and Queen Eva (The Litter Box Police and her Deputy) are having a fit about the box in the bathroom, it's hysterical. I've seen those two each use it, but there was a pee in it overnight that might have been Tolly's. I hope so, but I'm going to hang around here today and watch and see if he's using it. Tolly is a very smart cat and makes connections quickly, but he is also a creature of habit.

Tolly will eat a little canned, maybe about a half an ounce. Then he waits for me to get on the floor and hand feed him the other half. After he eats at least an ounce of cat food I give him some of his dark meat chicken. He prefers to be hand fed the chicken too. He has lost some weight, he is boney, but weighing him doesn't tell me much because of all the weight from the fluid. I am feeding him as much as he will eat at any given time.

His breathing is still regular 28 breaths a minute.

He is my own special boy. I refuse to dwell on who he was only 2 weeks ago, my slim active cheerful boy, and focus on who he is now, keeping him happy and comfortable so he'll want to stick around a long time. I tell myself it's not time to grieve yet, this is just another phase of his life. Though it threatens to overwhelm me sometimes, I won't allow the fear of the pain I will feel when he leaves me to come out just now. I just will not allow it!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Just the approach and attitude Tolly needs right now! It's a good mantra. :nod:

I did have to giggle at him wanting to be hand fed the rest of his meal and the chicken. :heart3: Our sick kitties know what they want and how they want it, and it makes me smile to know they really do enjoy being spoiled so. :D Now that Lazlo's eating on his own, he doesn't like eating alone. I don't have to hand feed him, but I do have to be with him. :lol3:

SO glad to hear his breathing remains regular!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Tolly could not be more loved or in better hands. :heart3: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is my own special boy. I refuse to dwell on who he was only 2 weeks ago, my slim active cheerful boy, and focus on who he is now, keeping him happy and comfortable so he'll want to stick around a long time. I tell myself it's not time to grieve yet, this is just another phase of his life. Though it threatens to overwhelm me sometimes, I won't allow the fear of the pain I will feel when he leaves me to come out just now. I just will not allow it!
EXCELLENT words of wisdom, Gail :heart3: That is exactly how I am able to deal with my baby Wilbur. And your words just helped me tremendously, :thanks:... It is another phase of their lives and we have to accept and not dwell on what "should" be or what "could" be - that is not reality. Reality is NOW and each day we have with them is a blessing. I learned the hard way a few weeks back to heed my own advice after many days of breaking down about the panic/fear of losing my precious boy. I no longer allow that part of me to surface and will be positive, upbeat and joyful for Wilbur and myself. Each day IS a gift!!!!!! :nod: :D :D :D Hoping for many, many more days of joy for you and Tolly :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Tolly is now eating the dark meat chicken, since it's got more fat than the breast.  I'm in the same boat as you (Gail) and Lauren, with my Sven.  Just taking it one day at a time, and trying to keep him as happy as can be.  Every day is a blessing.  It's been more than a year now since we thought we were going to lose him any day, so he keeps surprising us
.  I swear, he can understand me, because not one week ago I told my DH that I thought it was time let him go, and the very next day Sven perked up and started eating again and taking his "spiked" pills again, etc. (after 3 days of literally running away from me whenever I came near him with any kind of food!  I thought this was him trying to tell me he was ready to leave me, because I also had a heart to heart with him telling him I wouldn't keep him around for MY sake (even though he is MY special boy), and all he had to do was let me know when he was ready to go to the bridge.  Well, enough of me and mine! 

Hoping today is a good day for all

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to leave Tolly at the vet this morning, Monday, Nov 28. it's time to try draining. I noticed yesterday his feet are starting to swell. And his voice has gone up to a squeak. My vet, usually very optimistic, does not hold out much hope for this. She says he is very uncomfortable.

Pray for him, please. I just don't want him to suffer. I can't bear that.

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: I am there in spirit with you today - I am so very, very sad to here this and will pray so very hard for Tolly this morning. I am so thankful you did have a good last week with Tolly and that he was happy, feeling good, playing and just being with you, his meowmy :heart3: I am praying that he is comfortable right now at the vet under their care and whatever happens, he is surrounded by great love :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:. Just truckloads of prayers and vibes to you Gail and to you Tolly :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Praying very hard that draining can buy some more time for your sweet Tolly. His illness and this situation are sad beyond words. My heart is breaking for you and Tolly.  (((HUGS))) and many, many heartfelt prayers.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no.  I'm hoping and praying that you and he will get some extra time with this "draining procedure", but I know you will do what is best for Tolly, because that's who you are. 

I'm so sorry, and am truly praying the magic TCS vibes will be working extra hard today

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: I am there in spirit with you today - I am so very, very sad to here this and will pray so very hard for Tolly this morning. I am so thankful you did have a good last week with Tolly and that he was happy, feeling good, playing and just being with you, his meowmy :heart3: I am praying that he is comfortable right now at the vet under their care and whatever happens, he is surrounded by great love :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:. Just truckloads of prayers and vibes to you Gail and to you Tolly :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Add my prayers and vibes too. :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly is home! Sooooo skinny. They drained almost 3 pounds of fluid. He is only 8 pounds. We are hoping he will eat better now that all the fluid is gone. So far he isn't, would only eat a little hand fed, just now.

There is no way to know how fast he will fill up again, so we go one day at a time. I've been on the floor with him for raptures, tried to get him to eat, but now I have to go to work.

Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers, they're working I think, but he is very tired.

Now I am late for work, I wish I could stay home with him, but the money has to come from somewhere.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am keeping you both in my thoughts. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Tolly :vibes: :heart3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm SO glad he's home!!!!! I'm SURE he'll feel much more comfortable now!

I've been holding you and Tolly close in my thoughts and in my heart all day. :heart3:

Still sending :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heart3:

Status
Not open for further replies.