Vibes for my Tolly please

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor Tolly boy has a tooth ache! I noticed the past couple days he is hiding when I am ready to give him medication, and now he doesn't want his canned food.

I took a bit of paper towel and gently rubbed his gum and it came away bloody. :(

So he will be getting kibble (he swallows it whole so it doesn't hurt his mouth) and I will be calling the vet in the morning to make an appointment for him to see the vet next week. I wish he didn't have to wait even that long, but they only see emergencies on Saturday, and while I know his mouth hurts, I don't think it's an emergency.

The worst part is the medicating. I hate doing things to him that hurt him. Sigh.....

.. ..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby...

Tolly :vibes::hugs:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys. Tolly has a long history of resorptive lesions (FORL) and doesn't have many teeth left. His last dental was only in February, and his last vet visit was in mid October, and he wasn't having any trouble then, so this has only just cropped up.

I do have some buprenex I can give him if I think he's really bad off.

Tolly is 12 + years old, has a seizure disorder and takes phenobarbital. He also has liver damage from the phenobarbital. I know we all worry when they go under anesthesia, but...ugh...I can't believe he has to go through it again so soon.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be keep you both in my thoughts....
be sure to keep us updated. :hugs:

Feel better Tolly. :vibes::heart3:

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 of course.  Do you think he may need a dental?  (Sounds like it to me.)

One time when Amy had very bad mouth pain she stopped eating completely. Wouldn't touch a single thing until she came home from the dental. 

Another time I realized something was wrong when she started grinding her teeth.  Once again all was well after the dental. 

Mouth pain can make our babies feel really, really miserable. 

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy - many vibes that you can get a very early appointment and that all goes as well as possible.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, as usual the TCS vibes are helping. :heart3: :hugs:

Tolly is doing better. The bleeding has stopped, I think it may have been caused by the dose of laxatone he'd had, that stuff so sticky. The problem there is, he HAS to have the hair ball medicine or he becomes extremely ill. So I am going to have to continue to hurt him, he is currently on a every two day rotation with laxatone. :(

I've discovered he can eat his canned food if I leave it in the big chunks it comes in. Normally he wants me to chop it fine. But when it's chopped fine, to almost pate consistency, he scoops it up with his tongue and it seems the tiny pieces land in the sore spots. This causes him to jump away from his dish as if he's been bitten. I have seen it before, in earlier times, I mean.

This is why, when his mouth hurts, he likes the dry food. It can be picked up by the mouth in one whole piece and swallowed. However I am not thrilled with the idea of Tolly eating so much dry food.

So yesterday morning I decided to try giving him his canned, but in the full sized chunks. My thinking was, he can pick those chunks up the same way he picks up the kibble. It's working! :banana1:

There is a difference from what he does with the kibble. With kibble he picks up the piece, uses his tongue to roll it to the back of his mouth and swallows it.

With the large canned chunks he picks up the piece, uses his tongue to push it to the left side of his mouth (the non-sore side) and masticates it. So the chunks enable him to move the food to where he wants it, as opposed to having to lick it into his mouth in small pieces, where it can go all over the mouth.

I called the vet yesterday morning. My vet was not on call, so I wasn't able to get antibiotics, unless I wanted to bring him in to see the on-call vet. I did not think this was necessary. I spoke to the receptionist, she is familiar with me and with Tolly's issues, and with my vet's feelings about her 'specials' (Tolly being one of those)

After hearing me out she told me that my vet is in only two days next week, Monday (her surgery day) and Tuesday, then she will be out the remainder of the week. There were no scheduled appointments with my vet available, but of course I already know that she leaves spaces for emergencies. So I left a voice mail for my vet, telling her what's going on. This way when she comes in on Monday, she can be made aware of things. Hopefully we will be able to talk, and she can let me know when I can bring Tolly in to see her.

In the meantime the recpetionist suggested I go ahead and get Tolly on my vet's dental schedule for the following Monday, Nov 21, just in case he is going to need it (which I am pretty sure will be the case). So, knowing Tolly is on the schedule gives me a feeling of security, and most likely he will get on antibiotics tomorrow, though my vet will probably not be able to see him until Tuesday morning.

Since Tolly is able to eat, and is his normal cheerful self otherwise, this is not an emergency. But even though he is cheerful and eating, I know he is hurting and I won't leave it any longer than it has to be left.

I just took this :heart3:

"More Please"

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Tolly! That was smart thinking with the big chunks of food - it's great that it's working out. Lots of :vibes: that your vet can see him tomorrow or Tuesday.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck, Tolly. Sending lots of
 that he can be examined soon and won't have to deal with the pain much longer.

Banshee had FORL, too, and started to lose her teeth.

for Tolly.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was great thinking about the food, and also great to get him lined up with a just in case dental appointment - especially with Thanksgiving coming up, schedules are getting so booked.  Let's hope you, Tollie and all the babies have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly is doing well, still eating, still cheerful, even saw him playing with his Pink Fur Mice, carrying them around and yeowpling.

But I got a glimpse of his gum when I gave him his pill, it is very red and sore looking. I hope the vet can see him before she leaves for the week, and get him started on antibiotics. She will probably want to do blood work again too, if he needs the dental since it's been two months since his last blood work. That's not soon enough, when it comes to anesthesia. He's drinking a lot, too, which is unusual for him. He also sounds a bit sniffly every now and then. Almost URI-ish, though no discharges or excessive sneezing.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll need the antibiotics to clear up the infection but NOT need the dental. Wow, that would be wonderful. I wish I didn't have to give him the laxatone. But there is just no avoiding it.

Thanks for the support. I need it!

Tolly spent some time in his Cat Nip Fort today, though it is much reduced, this time of year.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you figured out a way for him to eat his wet food, but I'm so sorry he's having this issue. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, he's just so beautiful!!!!! And that expression in front of the empty bowl was priceless! :flail:

Did you hear back? Any word? I really hope she saw him today or will be able to tomorrow!!!!!!! let's get those antibiotics going! :cross:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, he's just so beautiful!!!!! And that expression in front of the empty bowl was priceless! :flail:
Did you hear back? Any word? I really hope she saw him today or will be able to tomorrow!!!!!!! let's get those antibiotics going! :cross:
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:
Awww, thanks Laurie! He's my precious boy.

Tolly has an appointment to see his vet tomorrow morning at 11:20. The past two days, even though he is eating his canned food now, he is drinking copious amounts of water, and this is highly unusual. Being on a canned diet, he rarely drinks at all. So he will have to fast, and have blood work. It's all very strange, as he is the picture of health otherwise.

Tolly had a relapse of his liver disease in late August, but after three weeks on ursodiol and baytril his numbers went back to normal. I hope everything is okay, and he just needs antibiotics for his sore mouth. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.