Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a surprise!Timmy usually makes it clear for anyone to get off HIS ottoman if he wants it..... but he still wants his first friend ,Sami

Sami was sleeping soundly on tye ottoman & Timmy was eyeing him up until Sami noticed ,then Timmy gently hopped up and they both remained- bravo

It was something to watch,Timmy knew to wait until Sami saw him or he'd of been startled and left..... the smart boy very slowly lowered his body down until Sami closed his eyes and then Timmy put his head down....an entire conversation without one word- cats are wonderful

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure some folks look at this thread and think "wow,must be nice" - of course it is but it did not happen overnight and there's still a hiss here n there,occasional swats and stares but it all takes time and clearly communicating that it is NOT acceptable behavior-
This is what makes Mom( top cat) happy!❤

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished brushing Graycie who was next to me on the couch and she got down so I got busy on TCS ,staring at my phone I felt Graycie jump back up and started petting her - hmmm,didn't feel like Graycie,too my surprise it's Timmy who for the first time wanted to put his head on my lap- such a Joy!Oops,brb....

Timmy was nudging my hand so I couldn't manage a photo- here he is

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally got clearance for surgery( Total knee replacement)-YAY

My biggest concern is Timmy- because I live alone in patient rehab would be ideal BUT my little boy ,I fear,will not fare well without me for two weeks - not even one week.... it's too much to risk imo after very many years of some awful stuff I've seen with transitioned ferals that are extremely dependant on " their person"

I believe 3 days is maximum- I'm concerned for his getting depressed and not eating or drinking- my friend will cone once a day to put out wet food ,the others will eat it and eat Timmy's too because he will hide ..... I'm so not comfortable as everytime I leave this house he stays in the exact same spot I left him in until I get home

I imagine a little pre- school child,who would leave them for a week- they have no idea where their Mommy went,when & if she'll be back....

My surgeon says I can probably do okay after 3 days but I won't be able to bend to feed or do the litter boxes----thats okay,someone can put the food down,leave and then I can be there to say" it's okay baby- Ma is here"

I'm kind of just thinking out loud- this boy has been through enough without having to endure separation anxiety.....I can do this,I know I can!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So I finally got clearance for surgery( Total knee replacement)-YAY

My biggest concern is Timmy- because I live alone in patient rehab would be ideal BUT my little boy ,I fear,will not fare well without me for two weeks - not even one week.... it's too much to risk imo after very many years of some awful stuff I've seen with transitioned ferals that are extremely dependant on " their person"

I believe 3 days is maximum- I'm concerned for his getting depressed and not eating or drinking- my friend will cone once a day to put out wet food ,the others will eat it and eat Timmy's too because he will hide ..... I'm so not comfortable as everytime I leave this house he stays in the exact same spot I left him in until I get home

I imagine a little pre- school child,who would leave them for a week- they have no idea where their Mommy went,when & if she'll be back....

My surgeon says I can probably do okay after 3 days but I won't be able to bend to feed or do the litter boxes----thats okay,someone can put the food down,leave and then I can be there to say" it's okay baby- Ma is here"

I'm kind of just thinking out loud- this boy has been through enough without having to endure separation anxiety.....I can do this,I know I can!
Hope you get a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery after that.

I think Timmy will do fine. Get your friend in earlier so that Timmy will get use to her presence and also get her to feed him and so that while you are gone for the 3 days, Timmy will get use to your friend’s feeding. Yes, Timmy will miss you but he knows he’s safe at home.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to envision all options that might happen when you have your knee replacement, rather than an unexpected "Oopsy!"

That said, (and yes I have a husband so not home alone with two cats. Himself was there.) When I had my left knee replaced in summer 2021 I was sent home the same day. Walked upstairs (slowly and clutching banister, rolling chair upstairs ready for me to move down the hall) and slept in my own bed that night. Went to PT for intake the very next day and started therapy in two days.

It will be painful. Do use analgesics - I needed oxycodone only for a day or so, then managed with acetaminophen. Lots of black and blue on leg.

Get some gel pacs that can be chilled. They're helpful with pain and swelling. Try to sit with leg at least somewhat elevated. Remember "nose over toes" when getting up from sitting down - it does help.

It takes about 14 weeks until you are no longer aware that something was done to your knee.

You'll be so pleased with the results that you'll wish it could have been sooner.

Looking forward to updates and reports.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you get a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery after that.

I think Timmy will do fine. Get your friend in earlier so that Timmy will get use to her presence and also get her to feed him and so that while you are gone for the 3 days, Timmy will get use to your friend’s feeding. Yes, Timmy will miss you but he knows he’s safe at home.
Thanks TT- we've been trying to get him a little used to people but Timmy's not having it- they come in & he does not want to be seen,understandably as it's how he survived 7 yrs.

I'm going to try starting her putting down the food and leaving while I'm here to show him it's fine to eat it ,lol Only he doesn't go in the kitchen unless I'm in it...... 3days will be fine and then I'm going home

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to envision all options that might happen when you have your knee replacement, rather than an unexpected "Oopsy!"

That said, (and yes I have a husband so not home alone with two cats. Himself was there.) When I had my left knee replaced in summer 2021 I was sent home the same day. Walked upstairs (slowly and clutching banister, rolling chair upstairs ready for me to move down the hall) and slept in my own bed that night. Went to PT for intake the very next day and started therapy in two days.

It will be painful. Do use analgesics - I needed oxycodone only for a day or so, then managed with acetaminophen. Lots of black and blue on leg.

Get some gel pacs that can be chilled. They're helpful with pain and swelling. Try to sit with leg at least somewhat elevated. Remember "nose over toes" when getting up from sitting down - it does help.

It takes about 14 weeks until you are no longer aware that something was done to your knee.

You'll be so pleased with the results that you'll wish it could have been sooner.

Looking forward to updates and reports.
Thanks for your encouragement- yep,I already bought 2cases of instant gel packs-hot n cold packs..... I believe I'll manage,I'll have at home therapy though -no one to drive me

I'd have had it long ago but oncology would not clear me for anesthesia----its way overdo❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay for surgery clearance!

Has the friend come by before. It might be a bit odd but she could play a recording of your voice or wear a shirt of yours. Or perhaps set his food on a shirt of yours.
Is his cage still up?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for surgery clearance!

Has the friend come by before. It might be a bit odd but she could play a recording of your voice or wear a shirt of yours. Or perhaps set his food on a shirt of yours.
Is his cage still up?
Thank you - yes yes,a big " YAY"
Funny you mentioned his cage- it is not any longer but it's the first thing I thought of " if only"

I think my mind is made up- I always consider worst case scenario,in my profession we must because it's a living,breathing being and any thing potentially life threatening should never be left to chance

So worst case scenario :if the boy shut down,would not eat or drink for 3 days he would survive- beyond that is far too risky and I will not take that chance with his precious life

I've been around captive big cats and reconditioned ferals far too long to ignore any possible life threatening situations,seen them simply shut down and not survive so I believe the decision is easy- do not stay away more than 3days..... he can survive without food and water for that duration if he remains frozen in hiding and then I'll be home

I like the idea of food on a shirt of mine- I'll show her his " people" hiding spot and she can set a bowl near it on my shirt as he will not go into the kitchen if I'm not around..... great idea!

Timmy is not fond of recordings,cell phones on speaker etc( yet).... I have videos on my cell phone with me working the cats,fetch ,jump up up up and other commands that they all run to watch the little cats( themselves,lol) on the screen with my voice- except Timmy. So I'd imagine if he's not thrilled with me showing him or playing my voice.... lol,you know what I'm saying

Most everyone is sent home the following day after joint replacement but they have help or someone around- I don't but I believe I can figure out how to get by that's first week and then it only gets easier- right?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you - yes yes,a big " YAY"
Funny you mentioned his cage- it is not any longer but it's the first thing I thought of " if only"

I think my mind is made up- I always consider worst case scenario,in my profession we must because it's a living,breathing being and any thing potentially life threatening should never be left to chance

So worst case scenario :if the boy shut down,would not eat or drink for 3 days he would survive- beyond that is far too risky and I will not take that chance with his precious life

I've been around captive big cats and reconditioned ferals far too long to ignore any possible life threatening situations,seen them simply shut down and not survive so I believe the decision is easy- do not stay away more than 3days..... he can survive without food and water for that duration if he remains frozen in hiding and then I'll be home

I like the idea of food on a shirt of mine- I'll show her his " people" hiding spot and she can set a bowl near it on my shirt as he will not go into the kitchen if I'm not around..... great idea!

Timmy is not fond of recordings,cell phones on speaker etc( yet).... I have videos on my cell phone with me working the cats,fetch ,jump up up up and other commands that they all run to watch the little cats( themselves,lol) on the screen with my voice- except Timmy. So I'd imagine if he's not thrilled with me showing him or playing my voice.... lol,you know what I'm saying

Most everyone is sent home the following day after joint replacement but they have help or someone around- I don't but I believe I can figure out how to get by that's first week and then it only gets easier- right?
I understand. Our first trip away from home was only for 3 days and we had done practice meals beforehand with someone coming to feed them while we were out. The practice meals went well. Magnus did the first two days well and then a bit underfed on the third. Then we had an emergency trip shortly after and he did less well, but it couldn't be helped.

Could your friend plan to come by as if you will be gone for the week (good case scenario in that he does eat) and then you can plan for both? If he's doing well, it does you all good to stay.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. Our first trip away from home was only for 3 days and we had done practice meals beforehand with someone coming to feed them while we were out. The practice meals went well. Magnus did the first two days well and then a bit underfed on the third. Then we had an emergency trip shortly after and he did less well, but it couldn't be helped.

Could your friend plan to come by as if you will be gone for the week (good case scenario in that he does eat) and then you can plan for both? If he's doing well, it does you all good to stay.
Yes- she's coming over Sunday( tomorrow ) so we could go over things and probably ,if she can and will,we can start doing practice feeding while I'm here and see how it goes .... at least he can get familiar with her putting the food out ( well try the kitchen ) if it doesn't go well we can see if he'll eat something by his hidey place ....we've got a couple of weeks to at least familiarize him with her coming each morning

Thank you so much for being supportive -only we pet parents can understand the bond our animals have with us,especially the special ones that really need TLC or they simply do not fare well......Timmy is definitely too new for the abrupt change in routine AND he is not socialized in the least

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also think about feeding yourself. Make some meals for the freezer than can be easily heated in the microwave - example: cook some elbow macaroni, drain, toss with a little oil then freeze. Top with shredded cheese once reheated. Freeze some peeled bananas that may be turned into smoothies. Hard boil some eggs. Marie Callender's chicken pot pies are also not bad.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Also think about feeding yourself. Make some meals for the freezer than can be easily heated in the microwave - example: cook some elbow macaroni, drain, toss with a little oil then freeze. Top with shredded cheese once reheated. Freeze some peeled bananas that may be turned into smoothies. Hard boil some eggs. Marie Callender's chicken pot pies are also not bad.
I do have plenty of microwave ready meals as it's super difficult to walk now,absolutely agonizing so it might not be much different - at least that post op pain will be temporary!!!!Yippeee

I always think of food,LOL-I'm Italian🤣

I do like pot pies,I'll try Marie C's- never have

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re the pot pies - my Shoprite sells them individually or as a 4-pack with somewhat of a discount, Costco sells 8 pack, at typical warehouse discount. Try one or two, see how you like them, then perhaps stock up. The brand also has a turkey pot pie and I think there's even a beef but all I get for Himself is the chicken.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just stopping by to wish you all the luck with your surgery. 🤗 I had to have kneecap surgery myself after a nasty work accident and spent a couple weeks on crutches, thinking someone had taken a sledgehammer to my leg. You're such a wonderful person to be more concerned for Timmy than about that, but please do look after yourself as well. I really hope and pray you'll be okay on your own looking after your lovely cat clan. 🙏 But I'm sure they'll be on hand to help you recover. They probably know that the vibrations produced by purring help to promote healing...

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom A Alldara C catapault KittyCat_chitchat KittyCat_chitchat

Y'all have no idea how much it means to me that you are so caring,supportive and encouraging- offering ideas and suggestions to help me through this - not just for myself but all the kit kats too.... It's really nice to have such wonderful people in my life and not feel so alone

I have my Cousin( my love,my bestie) but he's in worse shape than I am ,needing an ankle replacement.My really close bffs now live out of State ,one has a blind husband and is not in good health and my neighbor friends work full time so in something like this I'm very much on my own and every one besides you guys are not pet parents- they just don't get it

Anyway,I can't express how grateful I am for TCS ,I deeply appreciate you ❤I'm sure if he could,Timmy would say " thank you" so much for loving meEEEOW😺

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom A Alldara C catapault KittyCat_chitchat KittyCat_chitchat

Y'all have no idea how much it means to me that you are so caring,supportive and encouraging- offering ideas and suggestions to help me through this - not just for myself but all the kit kats too.... It's really nice to have such wonderful people in my life and not feel so alone

I have my Cousin( my love,my bestie) but he's in worse shape than I am ,needing an ankle replacement.My really close bffs now live out of State ,one has a blind husband and is not in good health and my neighbor friends work full time so in something like this I'm very much on my own and every one besides you guys are not pet parents- they just don't get it

Anyway,I can't express how grateful I am for TCS ,I deeply appreciate you ❤
Were all rooting for you! If we lived in the same country, I'd offer to come by. Since I can't, I will light a candle.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My brother just had a complete knee replacement and was out of hospital in three days, doing well on crutches. You need to take the pain meds as they tell you to, but you should be fine.