The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had Labrador retrievers all the years I was growing up and we started training when they were a couple months old. It was just some of the basics like sit or to come when called but these dogs love to learn and it can help with the obnoxious baby stuff.
Good to know. I was hoping simple commands would help us out! We’ve only had her just over a week, and even in that short time we’ve gotten better at handling her. I’m looking forward to tiring her little puppy brain out!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Found someone to lend me a cat trap but ended up buying one anyway. The one lent to me required you to get in front of the cage to open the door to let the cat out. If I did this Lola would come straight for me with teeth and claws. I spent $58 on a Havahart trap where the open and close mechanism is a one step on the top of the cage so I can at least keep a few feet distance between us and don’t have to crouch down to let her out.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Raccoon Mom had 7 babies. I set out food for them at night but one of the babies/toddlers (yes I know they're called kits) likes coming alone. The other day, as usual, I was outside oblivious to everything as I was just gazing off into space and enjoying the cool breeze. Next thing I know I look over and see on the the kits eating from the bowl just 6 feet from me. With his back turned to me. And that concerns me honestly that he's that trusting of humans. I'm kind to these raccoons but not everyone will be. Thing is if I put out food for the night time ferals I have to deal with the raccoons. Anyway when I got up and went inside, the kit never moved, didn't bother looking at me. He was busy eating. As soon as I locked the screen door he turned around and whimpered.
I don't think he trusts all humans. I have quite a few that come on the deck for cat food and they eat while I am sanding there.
I think they sense I am not a threat. Baby boy trusts you.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He does the same to my neighbor who is barely outside so yes, they do wind up trusting humans and not just one person. Which is extremely alarming. He approached the neighbor mentioned above as well as the neighbor on other side of my house who doesn't even live there but acquired the house when his sister died in January. We have to remember that trusting humans can be dangerous for raccoons. There is a lot of misinformation and fear (I was there at one time) that some people could wind up hurting them out of fear. So this is a behaviour that we really need to discourage. That's why if I see them come I go inside the house. I don't stand there and talk to them or anything. Our local Wildlife Rescue would have a cow if they knew that this baby raccoon was so trusting of humans.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you’ll get more use out of the trap than just for Lola. Someone will have need of it.
yes, I had that thought as well. We always have someone on Next Door searching for their lost cat and it will be nice to be able to lend. And the only way I will ever be able to get Lola to the Vet is with a trap.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m lucky with my cats because they will go into a carrier, but I really need to get a bigger carrier for them. Athena is over 14 pounds and Bubbles was right at 11 but I’m sure she has lost some weight being outside

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure got hit with a firecracker. I took him to animal emergency. Hoping it's not bad but he doesn't look well. I despise fireworks. I always have. Please, prayers and good thoughts. We pulled Tourmaline through that way, hopefully we can with Treasure too.

Last edited:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I’m sorry that happened to your fur baby! Hopefully he will get better soon! Thoughts and prayers for you all

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat was under my bed instead of hiding outside somewhere. I miss cuddling with her every night. We thought we had her caught last night but she got away once again!

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All 5 cats are in the garage in their usual hideouts and perches. They all came to us early summer, previous years, and this isn't their first rodeo with fireworks. Our new pup isn't so keen on them, though. She has been nervous and flighty.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No sign of Sopdet. House is almost on fire and 911 won't answer. Lot of good they are.

Sopdet almost got hit by a car. And the bushes in the back yard are now on fire. The same bushes that the cats run and hide in. So much for me being caretaker. Every cat under my watch had some tragedy happen to them. :(

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No sign of Sopdet. House is almost on fire and 911 won't answer. Lot of good they are.

Sopdet almost got hit by a car. And the bushes in the back yard are now on fire. The same bushes that the cats run and hide in. So much for me being caretaker. Every cat under my watch had some tragedy happen to them. :(
Well the raccoon babies are back although there are still fireworks going. So hopefully Sopdet and the ferals from the other colonies are ok. At least Treasure is in Animal hospital so he's at the moment out of this mess.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:alright: :grouphug: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hangin:How are things today?

Status
Not open for further replies.