The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I won't hear news about Treasure til tomorrow unless he takes a bad turn (no news is good news), Sopdet has not returned. However she was abused as a kitten and is easily spooked so I'm really hoping that she's hunkered down. People are still shooting those things off at 7:30 am. Don't they believe in sleep? The visiting cats from the other colonies passed through however. Gypsy, Latte, and Spirit. No sign of Onyx for days since he tried to have a "chicken" dinner from neighbor's live chickens so I'm hoping he's ok. Raccoons were huddled in the stairwell outside the basement door whimpering. I really feel so bad for all of wildlife during this time. I on the other hand had no sleep. Not just because of the cats but because of the non stop fireworks that, like I said above, are still being shot off. And how convenient that Bel Ridge MO outsourced the police department 3 weeks ago and the new force can't do a thing until august 1st for some reason. I'm tempted to buy a fire hose, build a moat around the house and do it myself.

Anyway I need an espresso machine, forget the coffee.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you have had such a rough night. I on the other hand decided not to be on cat watch last night but instead get some sleep. My kitty did come out at about 12:30 but didn’t stay long. Now it’s time to re strategize my cameras around the other part of my property closer to my pool area. I think I’m going to let things settle down for a couple of nights and try again to trap her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you have had such a rough night. I on the other hand decided not to be on cat watch last night but instead get some sleep. My kitty did come out at about 12:30 but didn’t stay long. Now it’s time to re strategize my cameras around the other part of my property closer to my pool area. I think I’m going to let things settle down for a couple of nights and try again to trap her.
Even if I didn't have the feral cats there is no way I could sleep through this war zone from last night. As I'm getting older I'm finding it harder to sleep through all this ruckus. 5 houses in St Charles Missouri caught fire last night. They should really try and enforce public fireworks shooting instead of just walking out the front door and throwing the fireworks in any direction they please. Just my opinion. I don't remember fireworks being this bad 55 to 60 years ago. Of course my parents supervised me when I went to shoot off fireworks which were the sparklers. They didn't just hand me a bunch of fireworks and turn me loose.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We don't have firecrackers here. We used to , when I was younger. But we're so prone to really bad bushfires that they've been banned.

Treasure got hit with a firecracker. I took him to animal emergency. Hoping it's not bad but he doesn't look well. I despise fireworks. I always have. Please, prayers and good thoughts. We pulled Tourmaline through that way, hopefully we can with Treasure too.
I just don't understand how this can happen. Someone did it deliberately? Surely he wouldn't be so close as to be hit as it went off.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it happened deliberately although not every human being is kind hearted. That's a reason why I stated above our Wildlife Rescue wants us to haze friendly raccoons as said raccoons can and will approach all humans. I wish they would ban fireworks here. It's illegal in St Louis City and County but with police being defunded or eliminated there's only so much that they can do. He just ran in the line of fire. But people are careless with shooting of fireworks. They aim/point the fireworks at other people's homes. They shoot them off for hours on end. They never stopped last night. Some people reported damage to their roofs or windows. The fireworks that are used here can fly a distance. We had 5 house fires in St Charles MO last night from MO. Most people in the states will agree that fireworks are a huge debate because of the safety. My friend who works a hospital said every patient last night was a burn victim. Treasure has to be the one cat that crouches in bushes and all near the danger areas because he just has to know what is going on. He's also the one that aggravates and torments the foxes, coyotes and raccoons around here. He's not smart like the other ferals are. Sadly. It's really hard to understand how bad it can be. We never had all this commotion over fireworks when I was a kid. 60 years ago we were supervised and allowed 30 minutes tops to shoot off fireworks then it's back inside the house. There never was the hand your kid a bucket of fireworks, close the door to watch netflix and the kid just shoots anywhere at anything. And right now I'm sitting here with a fractured humerus (again) so there isn't much that I can do for me and Mom to get out if our house caught fire. We did lose another screen window though from last night.

And maybe I panic too easily but after I 100% failed Tourmaline I am not about to fail the other cats. Yes Tourmaline is fully recovered but he would not have been so sick had I just did what I should have done to begin with. Now that I'm getting SSA I took out ASPCA insurance for the cats (including Tourmaline) to avoid another such tragedy from happening. I'd rather panic over nothing then see another one of these cats wind up like Tourmaline did April 25th.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most pet insurances won't cover a pet if they haven't had a wellness check-up in the last 6-12 months (depending on age) before enrollment. And they won't necessarily tell you that until you go to file a claim and then they're like "oh dear, we never got proof of vet visit at the beginning, he may not be covered". And that can be difficult when it comes to ferals/neighborhood cats. So maybe give the ASPCA insurance people a call and grill them about that, hate for you to be paying for nothing.

Yeah, a house near Sioux Falls burned down because they didn't put their used fireworks in a bucket of water, just threw them in the trash. You'd think everybody should know to put used fireworks in a bucket of water, maybe the fireworks sellers should have a paper they hand out.

And there were several dozen small grassfires in the area last night. I'm actually amazed the entire state didn't go up in flames, what with how dry it's been.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Most pet insurances won't cover a pet if they haven't had a wellness check-up in the last 6-12 months (depending on age) before enrollment. And they won't necessarily tell you that until you go to file a claim and then they're like "oh dear, we never got proof of vet visit at the beginning, he may not be covered". And that can be difficult when it comes to ferals/neighborhood cats. So maybe give the ASPCA insurance people a call and grill them about that, hate for you to be paying for nothing.

Yeah, a house near Sioux Falls burned down because they didn't put their used fireworks in a bucket of water, just threw them in the trash. You'd think everybody should know to put used fireworks in a bucket of water, maybe the fireworks sellers should have a paper they hand out.

And there were several dozen small grassfires in the area last night. I'm actually amazed the entire state didn't go up in flames, what with how dry it's been.
Yea I did. My local vet at Normandy Animal Hospital not only treats ferals but they make housecalls. I will ask ASPCA though. But again Tourmaline is not feral so with him that will work as he had more than a few wellness checkups since April

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Shes so young; she’ll learn! Puppies are more work than kittens. Its just going to take some time but then you’ll have her companionship and love for years! I miss that dog-bond a lot.
Yeah, and already it’s getting better as we learn more. They always joke that trainers are training owners and their dogs and I’m sure that will be the case with us.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hek is finally out from under the bed. Of COURSE, no ferals came to eat last night. Or Saturday night. It sounded like the Berlin Blitz from dusk until after midnight both nights.
Willow came out last night and the night before around 3:30 am. Both nights she came into the bed and whined/whimpered to me and then went off to eat her bedtime 10 pm snack. Outside cat bowls were still full this morning so cats, opossum and raccoons also apparently hid all night as well.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, so Lenscrafters had talked me into getting new lenses for my glasses because it's been like eight years (I only wear them at night, so it hasn't been a priority), and they came in today and it feels so strong and like I have a headache. Idk how that works since they should be the same as the contacts now, but it's definitely intense right now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they talk to you about pregnancy affecting your vision? I (very grumpily) showed up on ice covered roads for a routine eye exam at 8 months pregnant and they said if i wasn’t having issues that I needed to wait. And that it could take a whole year to go back to normal. Other people get completely different advice it seems. I left pretty hormonally angry id driven there on crappy roads just to have to go home. It took more than twice as long in downtown because they’d done a terrible job plowing. I’d probably be mad now too honestly. :lol2:

When I wore contacts I couldn’t switch between glasses and contacts. It would always feel like my eyes couldn’t adjust to them. I stopped wearing contacts after I got an infection in one cornea. It took a month for my vision to return to normal and after that they just weren’t comfortable anymore. I even frustrated the contacts lady at my eye doctors trying to get ones I could see well in. It was like I needed a different prescription for contacts or something. They felt too strong and gave me headaches; but I couldn’t see as far in the ones that didn’t give me headaches. And then my eyes were “done” with them by the end of a workday. If I could sleep for the corrective surgery I would do that in a heartbeat! 😩

So now I just stick to glasses. But DS will randomly tell me I’m prettier with my glasses anyway. So there’s that. :lol:

I’m due for new glasses next month and kind of dreading it. I really don’t like these huge frames with plastic bodies. They remind me of my childhood glasses and I feel like my face looks fatter. 😣

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read pregnancy could affect your eyes! I actually got a few floaters once in a while when I was pregnant, but it hasn't happened since she was born. The eye doctor did mention there could be another change when I stop breastfeeding. I had been down to my last pair of contacts, so I needed to go and get more.

I'm so indecisive about glasses frames, and I don't like the big ones that are in now, so I just had them replace the lenses in my current pair. They had the model number so were able to cut them down and then just pop the new lenses in when I came in.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, so Lenscrafters had talked me into getting new lenses for my glasses because it's been like eight years (I only wear them at night, so it hasn't been a priority), and they came in today and it feels so strong and like I have a headache. Idk how that works since they should be the same as the contacts now, but it's definitely intense right now.
I had that happen to me once, with Pearle Vision and another time at a different private optician.

One, was the wrong prescription. The other was the focal point was off. It was not correct for me. I have a focal point in the decimals. The chains only dealt with whole numbers, so it was off for me. They insisted the prescriptions correct.

I ended up taking the prescription to a private, good reputation optician. I have never had an issue since I began using him; it has been 30 years!!
~~~
When I was wearing contacts, I had a hard time adjusting to wearing glasses. It took several hours to get adjusted to the switch. I was told it was because agin, the focal point had changed.; normally.. There is a difference between contacts and glasses.

Now, I wish I could wear contacts. I really dislike my glasses.

Is there a difference between your contact prescription dn your eyeglass prescription? That would definitely make a huge adjustment.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.