The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, it is beautiful morning! Cat most beautiful is purring sooo oo loud. It is just such a comforting sound. Weather is perfect. Grateful to be alive and well. Hope all you associates find some humor and beauty wherever you are. So happy to know that I will learn something important today like everyday! And so will all of you, I have no doubt!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering why every time I try a new project it blows up in my face and why I cannot go a day without these stupid devices giving me headaches. I spend 95% of my time trying to fix things.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you guys consider screaming/anger as a form of domestic violence? It sure feels like it sometimes, even though it's not being physically hit.
Yes, absolutely. Emotional abuse and neglect are the main causes of Complex PTSD.

I don't know why, but this is the first time I thought of it like that. I thought to myself "This is violence."
I hope someday I can live somewhere else.
I'm sorry you've been dealing with this. Often it can be hard for people to see when they are living in it, and the fact you were able to notice is am amazing gift. Noticing gives you the power to start working to get out. You deserve to live in a safe and healthy environment. You can do this <3

Definitly. My father is like this. Very emotionally abusive. He will yell in anger at every little thing and play the victim to make my mom and I feel bad. Just this morning, he yelled at us and told us that we don't care about him and never do anything for him. Which obviously isn't true. It ruined my entire day. I'm very sensitive to being yelled at and when other people do it, I break down. He's been doing this since I was little and I was never taught healthy ways to express my emotions so I've started becoming just like him.

Anyway, tonight, I watched a movie with a friend from school and it was good. Might do it again soon with more people. Netflix Party that is... not at my house of course.
Wow, so much of this is relatable. I'm so sorry you've had to and currently are enduring that. Abusive people love to guilt and shame people as a way to control them. I'm very sensitive to being yelled at, too, and even if someone looks irritated or annoyed with me. I'll feel my body tense up and sometimes start to tremble and feel emotions rise up and want to cry. It sucks. Reading up on emotional flashbacks though has been extremely helpful to me. Although, emotional flashbacks is a newer concept, and if therapists are not educated they will not know or understand it. Basically anything, like a facial expression, tone of voice, can trigger it, and it consists of emotions that were unable to be expressed or felt during a traumatic event. It is the main flashback type in Complex PTSD, which is a newer diagnosis, and not exactly in the DSM yet, but some therapists still diagnose it. Complex PTSD is from ongoing abuse, just like children who grow up in unpredictable homes, especially where the child may not have any adult or person who will protect or stand up for them. There is no visual to emotional flashbacks, so people and those around them often don't know it is happening. It takes a while to recognize them, and after many years sometimes I don't realize it until after the feeling has passed and am like, welp... that was an emotional flashback. Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but I wanted to share for you and others, just in case. Friends who I have shared this with have gotten relief from understanding this concept and it helps them cope.

If anyone is interested, Pete Walker came out with info on complex PTSD: Pete Walker, M.A. Psychotherapy

This is exactly what I was worried about. Because when she is screaming in my face, my first reaction is to scream back. But that's just feeding into the domestic violence. So what is the right reaction? Just walk away? I'm a non-violent person, I don't want her changing that about me.
I totally get that. Maybe you will find this therapist helpful. She grew up with a narcissistic parent, and her videos help keep me sane and feeling stronger. Even if a parent is not narcissistic, but any type of unhealthy, toxic person, her videos are great. Her favorite line is, "If you were not related to these people, would you have anything to do with them? If the answer is no, act accordingly." You may find this video interesting as it deals with the term gray rock, which is a way to show no emotion when dealing with a toxic person. The toxic person is wanting a reaction, which is why the technique is recommended. If it hard for me to do, to be honest, but many people use the technique and find it helpful.
Moving out is expensive, especially with 2 cats. I just don't see a way out.
This is so relatable right now. Would you like someone to brain storm with or to go over budgeting? For me, I'm thinking of every possible reason why I cannot move out and take the job I was offered in another state, but in reality it is possible. It's just I cannot let go thinking it won't work. You are so worthy and deserving of finding a way to make this work for you. Myself and others may have resources to help you.

Yeah. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm scarred & weird/crazy from it. But maybe I'll be alright. There's always hope. My doctor said that I will always be sick with her in my life.
Posted this above, but check this information out: Pete Walker, M.A. Psychotherapy

I wouldn't call you weird or crazy because the body and mind does amazing things to cope. You found a way to survive. You are brave and strong to still be here today. It is true you will not heal with an abuser in your life. I cannot tell you how much I back slided coming home. It's like all my confidence has left me, and I feel so young and helpless sometimes. I've even been questioning my sanity. My brother was gas lighting me that he was not using scents, but I have been standing my ground and telling him to stop. When I smell something now, I question if I am really smelling something, which is so stupid because if I can smell it, it is there! Why am I questioning myself! But that is what emotional abuse does to you. It makes you question your reality and distorts your thinking. You are never allowed to have your own needs or thoughts, so you learn to push them away. So I am here to tell you, you can do this. You are capable of moving out. You deserve this. You are worth it. <3

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what I was worried about. Because when she is screaming in my face, my first reaction is to scream back. But that's just feeding into the domestic violence. So what is the right reaction? Just walk away? I'm a non-violent person, I don't want her changing that about me.
I am the same. I scream back at him or I lash out at other people for no reason.

I usually have panick attacks or a strong feeling of anxiousness when I try to stand up for myself but he mocks me and makes me feel so small.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this and I wish I could offer advice but I have no idea how to handle it myself. I was 15 years old when I started to realize that this relationship wasn't normal or healthy. My mom says that if she had the money, she'd leave him. But we don't have enough.

And thank you W WillowMarie . I will do more research into this topic.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie - I started planning my summer courses. Registration opens up next week. I have to pick very specific courses to fulfill my degree requirements (upper and lower level courses in arts & humanities, science, culture, and commerce, and science and technology). They have a section where you can plan ahead so that when registration opens, you get first pick. So far, I have chosen history of popular music, astronomy, music in contemporary society, cultural psychology, and extinction.

I'm trying to take all 5 this summer since I have to pay $250 for the summer semester, might as well get my money's worth out of it. I don't mind because I don't have much else doing anyway and this will keep me occupied. Plus, once I finish these courses, I won't have to take electives again for the duration of my program. I'll be able to focus solely on my programs courses after that! I hope this works out. :rolleyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving out is expensive, especially with 2 cats. I just don't see a way out.
Are you on SSI (disability) now? If so, I think you can do it. In most towns there sre subsidized apartments for people on SSI, you only pay a certain percentage of your income. And you can get your doctor to "prescribe" your cats as Emotional Support Animals. Talk to your social worker.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm scarred & weird/crazy from it. But maybe I'll be alright. There's always hope. My doctor said that I will always be sick with her in my life.
maggiedemi you are not weird at all. And I think you have overcome a great deal already by recognizing how toxic this person is to you at this moment in time. Sometime in the future (probably distant future) you may be able to maintain some sort of decent relationship, but it sounds like you should get away from the poison of abuse as soon as possible. Keep up your hopes, never give up, never give in to repeating the same mistakes that you have endured. You are better than that. You can do this. Meanwhile I'll keep sending good vibes your way dear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately in most places the subsidized apartments are full and there is a long waiting list. If you are elderly or disabled you are on the top of the list but still.
Oh wow, we have a ton of them here and there's always an empty one, or a short wait if that. But, yeah, even upstate New York probably is more populated than here.

Haha, I'd recommend moving here but not a lot of people are willing to do that!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie - I started planning my summer courses. Registration opens up next week. I have to pick very specific courses to fulfill my degree requirements (upper and lower level courses in arts & humanities, science, culture, and commerce, and science and technology). They have a section where you can plan ahead so that when registration opens, you get first pick. So far, I have chosen history of popular music, astronomy, music in contemporary society, cultural psychology, and extinction.

I'm trying to take all 5 this summer since I have to pay $250 for the summer semester, might as well get my money's worth out of it. I don't mind because I don't have much else doing anyway and this will keep me occupied. Plus, once I finish these courses, I won't have to take electives again for the duration of my program. I'll be able to focus solely on my programs courses after that! I hope this works out. :rolleyes:
Nice, a flat fee of $250? Why not take as many as you can? You've got this! That sounds like so much fun. For me, I completed all my non-major requirements at community college before transferring, so I only took wild life bio classes for the most part. It's a lot of fun only taking major classes! It's alright if you are feeling unsure, but I beat you'll really enjoy it when you start your semesters with major only classes! :)

That's a neat assortment of classes for summer. You'll be learning lots of different topics. Can't wait to hear which ones are your favorites!

Are you on SSI (disability) now? If so, I think you can do it. In most towns there sre subsidized apartments for people on SSI, you only pay a certain percentage of your income. And you can get your doctor to "prescribe" your cats as Emotional Support Animals. Talk to your social worker.

When I was researching a place for my fake career and income for my Personal Finance class, I ran into some apartments that were cheap, but only for seniors. I never knew places like that existed, but they do. I also ran into other apartments that had income caps, so you could only live there if your income was lower than XXXX amount. Not sure how to target search for them, but they were coming up in the normal apartment search engines.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww....how did he feel about going? Any phone calls about him wanting to come home?💖 :hugs:
He was so excited to leave, I could barely get a hug out of him. He cried at bedtime, but that's not terribly unusual. He doesn't want to go to sleep. John's mom called and he told her to try cartoons and cuddles. No more calls. Apparently he woke up crying at 4:30, but cuddles put him back to sleep until 8.

I, on the other hand, barely slept. And then when he got home, he was more interested in picking dandelions than saying "Hi" to mom. Little poop.

I've dealt with both emotional and physical abuse. Personally, I think emotional is worse. The physical wounds heal pretty quickly. The emotional ones last much longer and leave deeper scars.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was researching a place for my fake career and income for my Personal Finance class, I ran into some apartments that were cheap, but only for seniors. I never knew places like that existed, but they do. I also ran into other apartments that had income caps, so you could only live there if your income was lower than XXXX amount. Not sure how to target search for them, but they were coming up in the normal apartment search engines.

They're called "affordable housing". There are max income limits a household can make per year to qualify for such housing. Check with your local Housing Authority for more info. Some of these housing are not Section 8 or public housing. Many cities require new developments to set aside a certain percentage of the units as affordable. Then there is an application and lottery process to select qualified potential residents. So it's possible to score an affordable unit in a swanky luxury new apartment building and have full access to the same amenities as the wealthy residents.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
He was so excited to leave, I could barely get a hug out of him. He cried at bedtime, but that's not terribly unusual. He doesn't want to go to sleep. John's mom called and he told her to try cartoons and cuddles. No more calls. Apparently he woke up crying at 4:30, but cuddles put him back to sleep until 8.
Awww.......he's a big boy now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.