The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Personally? I'd let the whole thing drop. You were kind enough to offer assistance to a friend and he knows that you are more than capable of handling it. If his son wants to go to all the trouble of handling that job himself, fine. He doesn't know you and he doesn't know what you are capable of but YOU do and his opinion will never change your reality. Since you won't be helping him that day, do something fun instead. Something just for you. You deserve it.
Thank you, it just happened today so this will help me sleep instead of letting it gnaw on me. Your answer makes good sense. I'm not sure I want to meet the son, at least not in the near future. and who knows how I'll feel in the future about the whole thing.:yeah:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, it just happened today so this will help me sleep instead of letting it gnaw on me. Your answer makes good sense. I'm not sure I want to meet the son, at least not in the near future. and who knows how I'll feel in the future about the whole thing.:yeah:
This is so not worth getting upset over and it is definitely not worth losing sleep over. All you can do is offer to help someone. If they choose not to accept, it's on them and not on you. :hugs:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, tonight I went into the bedroom to fill my pockets before heading to Home Depot and the grocery store, and I looked down and there was the missing earring! (I had found the back in the kitchen and had thoroughly searched there for the earring before giving up.) The post was slightly bent, and the stone had popped out, but the stone was also right there and was easy enough to pop back in, and the post straightened easily. I'll still want to take a good look at it with a lighted magnifier to make sure the stone is secure before I wear it again, but I'm optimistic.

I still bought the Rust-Oleum at Home Depot, though. It increases my options, plus which I have a brooch that's been getting scratched by the shoulder harness rubbing on it when I drive and I want to shine it up and protect it from further damage.

Margret
I have a suggestion for how you can hold and protect small pieces when spraying them. Take a piece of wide blue painter's tape and poke the stud through from the sticky side, then stick the tape to a piece of cardboard, leaving just the post exposed. When the coating is well dried, tear the tape to release the post without scraping it off in the process.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so not worth getting upset over and it is definitely not worth losing sleep over. All you can do is offer to help someone. If they choose not to accept, it's on them and not on you. :hugs:
I agree with@ Kat0121

Not worth losing sleep over. I think son is just overly protective of his father.
She's right, do something for yourself. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The son and his family had been down here just a few months ago, for a birthday or dinner or something so he knew quite well how Jim was doing and how he lived etc.
You said your friend wasn't mentally fit. Maybe the son figured your friend couldn't handle the trip.
Let it go, you, being a good friend, offered. That's all you can do. The son is looking out for his dad and not thinking of offending anyone. Take a deep breath and think what you would do for your parent.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
You said your friend wasn't mentally fit. Maybe the son figured your friend couldn't handle the trip.
Let it go, you, being a good friend, offered. That's all you can do. The son is looking out for his dad and not thinking of offending anyone. Take a deep breath and think what you would do for your parent.

I didn't say he was not mentally fit he is just as not as sharp as I am and he is getting cataracts but says he's ok to drive which I doubt and that is why I won't ride with him and have told him so. With a lopsided grin he said "Asians can't drive" (which I never would have said). He said there is quite some truth to that as people particularly in Taiwan don't have to go to driving school or pass a test, they just buy a car and go, that there are also few rules of the road in Taiwan and thus many accidents. So when they come here they do have to pass a driving test but don't pay much attention to the rules of the road just like they don't in Taiwan. Remind me never to go to Taiwan and attempt to drive there!:argh:
He also took one of those DNA tests that allegedly tells people if they have gene that predisposes them to various illnesses and one of his says he has a slight chance of developing Alzheimers and so he went on the Keto diet because of it (really difficult for someone who is used to eating rice with every meal as Keto calls for high fat/low carbohydrates) and walks several miles every day etc just so he won't succumb to that. I think that test has made him paranoid about his mental health. Of course, like most older people, including me, his memory isn't what it used to be and so he sees the beginnings of Alzheimers in that. He has moved here from Ohio just under a year ago so I don't expect him to know all of Orange/LA county thoroughly. Heck, I've lived here since 1971 and still don't know it all. But he thinks that is another sign of the beginnings of Alzheimers. If he would get those cataracts taken care of and thus could see better he might not have half of the problems he thinks he has.
Perhaps he as not told his son that he has cataracts and so the various symptoms can appear as if he was not quite here. I think he also has a bit of a hearing problem and that can also make his symptoms worse.:(
So far I don't have any of these problems, my doctor has just given me a clean bill of health at my recent yearly besides that I can't see without my glasses, pretty short-sighted but then what else is new, I've worn those since I was 11 years old.
So I will excuse his son's behavior as being overprotective.

I can't imagine what I would do if those were my parents as mine have passed away many years ago. My father would be 122 years old and my mother would be 109 and I have not seen them since they were 72 and 88 when they were in great shape and needed no help from anyone. They passed 2 years later. And yes, my father still drove his car,:clap2: my mother never learned to drive. Some people just have better genes than others that keep them sharp and style of living has a lot to do with it. I had a neighbor who at age 93 moved to Oregon to be closer to family as his wife had died and the first thing he did was get an Oregon drivers' license. He also played tennis 3 times a week and played Bridge 5 times a week also. That old man was SHARP! I hope I'll be like that when I reach that age still many years away:worship: although I don't play tennis but I do gardening, mostly veggies and while I don't play Bridge I do read, A LOT! So body and mind should last quite a bit longer, maybe another 20 years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't say he was not mentally fit he is just as not as sharp as I am and he is getting cataracts but says he's ok to drive which I doubt and that is why I won't ride with him and have told him so. With a lopsided grin he said "Asians can't drive" (which I never would have said). He said there is quite some truth to that as people particularly in Taiwan don't have to go to driving school or pass a test, they just buy a car and go, that there are also few rules of the road in Taiwan and thus many accidents. So when they come here they do have to pass a driving test but don't pay much attention to the rules of the road just like they don't in Taiwan. Remind me never to go to Taiwan and attempt to drive there!:argh:
He also took one of those DNA tests that allegedly tells people if they have gene that predisposes them to various illnesses and one of his says he has a slight chance of developing Alzheimers and so he went on the Keto diet because of it (really difficult for someone who is used to eating rice with every meal as Keto calls for high fat/low carbohydrates) and walks several miles every day etc just so he won't succumb to that. I think that test has made him paranoid about his mental health. Of course, like most older people, including me, his memory isn't what it used to be and so he sees the beginnings of Alzheimers in that. He has moved here from Ohio just under a year ago so I don't expect him to know all of Orange/LA county thoroughly. Heck, I've lived here since 1971 and still don't know it all. But he thinks that is another sign of the beginnings of Alzheimers. If he would get those cataracts taken care of and thus could see better he might not have half of the problems he thinks he has.
Perhaps he as not told his son that he has cataracts and so the various symptoms can appear as if he was not quite here. I think he also has a bit of a hearing problem and that can also make his symptoms worse.:(
So far I don't have any of these problems, my doctor has just given me a clean bill of health at my recent yearly besides that I can't see without my glasses, pretty short-sighted but then what else is new, I've worn those since I was 11 years old.
So I will excuse his son's behavior as being overprotective.

I can't imagine what I would do if those were my parents as mine have passed away many years ago. My father would be 122 years old and my mother would be 109 and I have not seen them since they were 72 and 88 when they were in great shape and needed no help from anyone. They passed 2 years later. And yes, my father still drove his car,:clap2: my mother never learned to drive. Some people just have better genes than others that keep them sharp and style of living has a lot to do with it. I had a neighbor who at age 93 moved to Oregon to be closer to family as his wife had died and the first thing he did was get an Oregon drivers' license. He also played tennis 3 times a week and played Bridge 5 times a week also. That old man was SHARP! I hope I'll be like that when I reach that age still many years away:worship: although I don't play tennis but I do gardening, mostly veggies and while I don't play Bridge I do read, A LOT! So body and mind should last quite a bit longer, maybe another 20 years.
Once, I heard a guy say that if you want a long and healthy life, then choose your ancestors wisely.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
whew, I'm glad for your sake!
Thank you. It was a scary 3 hours or so. I have no basement so if a tornado approached the best place for me to avoid injury would be my downstairs bathroom/laundry room and sit next to the washer and dryer. Whenever there are storms the Vincie girl wants to go outside even though she is now deaf. She was born outside in July so maybe that's where she feels safe. Big Cal hid in the cabinet
underneath the upstairs bathroom sink. When I found her 3 rolls of toilet paper were crushed, :flail:.

Now it's in the low 40s with a bit of snow!! When it stormed yesterday it was 80.
So it's back to hoodies and sweats for today.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here ever fostered dogs or cats before? If you did, what was it like?
We did, 20- some years ago. It was a feral mother and her still-nursing kittens that our landlord allowed us to take in. In 2 words, it was satisfying, and it was sad. Satisfying to see the kittens go from being little balls of fur to cuddle cats- even mama cat. Sad, when they went to their adoptive homes. Would we do it again? Yes, if the circumstances were the same, we would.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
We did, 20- some years ago. It was a feral mother and her still-nursing kittens that our landlord allowed us to take in. In 2 words, it was satisfying, and it was sad. Satisfying to see the kittens go from being little balls of fur to cuddle cats- even mama cat. Sad, when they went to their adoptive homes. Would we do it again? Yes, if the circumstances were the same, we would.
Did mama cat let you hold her babies and pet her?

Status
Not open for further replies.