The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been applying for jobs since I graduated. I've gotten nothing but rejections. My parents have been helping out financially, but I don't know how long this can continue.

I've just put in another application, this one for an eye center. Not feeling too hopeful.
I understand. Went through the same thing. Majority of the companies I came across wanted 3+ years of experience.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember when I said that there was no force on this planet that would make me move to SC? Apparently I didn't take into account the strongest force in the Universe.
I'm not moving, too many obligations here, but I wish I could.
True love will make you do what seems impossible. You sound so happy!💖

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight and today I'll be thinking about the Band "Walk off the Earth" and all of Mike "Beard guy" - friends and family.

A year ago he and his bandmates were to play the Niagara Falls New Year Celebration at The Falls. They had to cancel as Mike suddenly passed away on Dec 30. (2019)

Tonight - they are going back to play the New Years Eve celebration. I can only imagine how hard this is going to be for them.

For those unfamiliar with them, Mike is the one with the Toque/Tuque on ... and of course ... the beard.

Last edited:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The production of happy chemicals in my brain is pretty low today. I'm also tired, and it's snowing, which means there will be salt all over the floor in the hospital :sigh:

My nose piercing infection has cleared up. I still got a bump, but I'll take that over the gross looking infection any day. Whoever invented the corkscrew design of nose studs need to be kicked in the nads. I made myself bleed trying to put the stupid stud back in, and the bump that was finally going away came back because of the trauma.

I think I'm going to stop giving the boys dry food during the day and just give them a little bowl for the night. If no one is going to be home then yeah I'll give them a bowl in the day, but I think they are old and beefy enough to not need so much food all the time. They fill up on dry food and then don't want their wet. If they seem hungry during the day, I'll either split a can or give them some of their treats for a snack.

I AM SO BORED WITH MY HAIR. I almost want to just do something drastic like dye it black. It could look good with my fair skin and brown eyes. It'd also make getting matching hair extensions easier because I am tired of short hair and want it long again but it's taking forever now that I actually want it to grow out lol

I'd dye my hair blue or pink but I can't put bleach on my scalp so there's not much I can do other than go darker. I'm kinda bored of red so that's why I'm thinking of going black or a really dark brown.

I should probably wait to dye my hair, anyway, considering I just did a few weeks ago.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I knew there had to be more blonde somewhere in my background. My grandma was blonde. My mother was blonde as a baby, but it changed to brown. Blonde is a recessive trait, so I had to get that gene from both parents.
I love blonde! I come from a family of blondes. Many Platinum blondes. I laugh at my Mom when she points to her hair and says "She this white hair! You kids did this to me!" then I remind her - it's always been that color. It's a running joke in the family. Then there is myself and my one cousin. Surrounded by blondes and what do we get - red. Yup. Red hair, blue eyes.

My Dad's family is all dark haired and grey,hazel or brown eyes. Yet all the kids are blonde, blue eyed. (Save for me with the red)

After many years of deciding we must be adopted we discovered that in order to be red - you have to come from blondes.

I keep waiting to be blonde though lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you look just like the rest of them! I'm glad you found your family.
we discovered that in order to be red - you have to come from blondes.
No. . .is that true? My grandpa's brother was a redhead and the rest of them had black hair. Hmmm, uh oh, I have to go look that up. ..

OK, blondes and dark-haired people can both carry the red-haired gene, phew!
Understanding Genetics

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you look just like the rest of them! I'm glad you found your family.

No. . .is that true? My grandpa's brother was a redhead and the rest of them had black hair. Hmmm, uh oh, I have to go look that up. ..

OK, blondes and dark-haired people can both carry the red-haired gene, phew!
Understanding Genetics
Yes and no. We're both actually correct W Willowy from a genetics standpoint both parents must carry the blue eyed gene for blue eyes. For Haircolor is slightly weird, but still comes from blonde. (I explained it very poorly above. (Also know as making a general statement without the detailed explanation to simplify it for people and for ease.) ) Here's how red "technically" comes from blondes:

Red is a genetic mutation. Actually a series of mutations and that mutation has to be carried by both parents. Yes lol Redheads are mutants :runaround:

It's why my Dad, being Dark produced a redhead - somewhere is the background there is an mutated MC1R gene and blonde genes.

One of the better explanations I've seen explain it is below.

science.ca View question #960 (The below is from this link)

"Red hair is not actually a recessive gene (like blonde is), but is rather an "incomplete dominant." In the world of genes, there are dominant genes, which take over any recessive gene (brown, black), recessive genes (blonde), which will be taken over by any dominant gene, or incomplete dominent genes (red). Incomplete dominant genes will "blend" with any dominant, recessive or other incomplete dominant gene. I, for example, have "auburn" hair, which is essentially red blended with brown. Strawberry blondes are red blended with blonde.

So you've got yourself a red headed parent (let's call those genes aa) and a blonde parent, which we'll represent as bb. 100% of the offspring will have one hair color gene from each parent, or ab. This means red and blonde. Since red will always blend with other genes, the resulting hair color should be a blend of blonde and red, or strawberry blonde. In the case of my parents, which both have brown hair (let's call the brown/black genes C), either one parent or possibly both are carrying one "a" in addition to their brown or black genes, with the possibility of even a blonde thrown in (CC, Cb, or Ca). My parents are probably (Ca, CC). I'm probably a Ca, or a blend of brown and red. This result has an outcome likelihood of 50%".

So somewhere down the line there was a blonde in that dark hair that my father carried, as with your Grandfathers brother. Make sense?

Genetics is - odd. LOL

So from a technical standpoint you and I are both correct!

Keep in mind I'm not going from when a redhead breeds. I'm going back to origins. Neither of my parents are redheads. Nor my grandparents, nor my great-grandparents on either side.

Edit to add - proper info on the MC1R gene if you're interested. It's pretty cool.

MC1R gene

Scary here:

Melanocortin 1 receptor - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.