The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll start out with a starter stud, no doubt, which is thicker than some nose jewelry because you need the piercing to be large enough to accomodate whatever you want to wear and to let the piercing heal like that. If you are just going to wear the small pins it will get smaller eventually, but if you are ever going to wear larger ones, you'll need to make sure it heals large enough. Ask the tech about this if you need more information.
Thanks for the tip!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saved a precious life today. I was in the pump house looking for something and rearranging boxes. I had set - more like dropped - a big box on the floor. I eventually got around to putting the box back where I wanted it, and saw this.
IMG_20191025_120311.jpg

She (calling it a she because I want to) was stuck to the tape that had come off the bottom of the box. You probably can't see it, but the tape is still attached to the box and she was attached to the tape.
This is the same species as my Hathor and I just couldn't let her die like that. It took 45 minutes and almost a cup of oil to get her unstuck. She was trying to bite at first, but then just put her head on my finger and let me work.
This is something I never thought about. What if I hadn't come in there and moved boxes, then one day I find a baby Hathor dead stuck to tape? It would have broken my heart.
That's it, I'm buying plastic tubs and relocating everything that's in a cardboard box. Lesson learned with no fatality.
IMG_20191025_121759.jpg

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saved a precious life today. I was in the pump house looking for something and rearranging boxes. I had set - more like dropped - a big box on the floor. I eventually got around to putting the box back where I wanted it, and saw this.
View attachment 305076

She (calling it a she because I want to) was stuck to the tape that had come off the bottom of the box. You probably can't see it, but the tape is still attached to the box and she was attached to the tape.
This is the same species as my Hathor and I just couldn't let her die like that. It took 45 minutes and almost a cup of oil to get her unstuck. She was trying to bite at first, but then just put her head on my finger and let me work.
This is something I never thought about. What if I hadn't come in there and moved boxes, then one day I find a baby Hathor dead stuck to tape? It would have broken my heart.
That's it, I'm buying plastic tubs and relocating everything that's in a cardboard box. Lesson learned with no fatality.
View attachment 305078
That's awesome!:rock: I'm glad you found her in time. She has a pretty cool design.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome!:rock: I'm glad you found her in time. She has a pretty cool design.
She is actually a sub-species of my Hathor. This little one (13" long) is a Desert Night Snake where as Hathor is a Chihuahuan Night Snake. Just some trivia in case you care. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is actually a sub-species of my Hathor. This little one (13" long) is a Desert Night Snake where as Hathor is a Chihuahuan Night Snake. Just some trivia in case you care. :)
Oh, she's gorgeous! TYSM for saving her life! You may have seen our beloved Slither, who shared her land with us when we lived in the Mojave (and I hope is growing and doing well there now!)
IMG_0997.JPG
She is a Pine-Gopher Snake and when we left, she was about 7' long or more.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's gorgeous! TYSM for saving her life! You may have seen our beloved Slither, who shared her land with us when we lived in the Mojave (and I hope is growing and doing well there now!)View attachment 305080She is a Pine-Gopher Snake and when we left, she was about 7' long or more.
How beautiful. We have some gopher snakes up here, but they are usually not as vibrant as Slither. They look more like bull snakes or rattlers.

Still trying to figure out this little one. I can tell she's a DNS because of the markings, but I have never seen one (either type) with a band across the eyes. I wonder if it's a hybrid or a new sub-species.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How beautiful. We have some gopher snakes up here, but they are usually not as vibrant as Slither. They look more like bull snakes or rattlers.

Still trying to figure out this little one. I can tell she's a DNS because of the markings, but I have never seen one (either type) with a band across the eyes. I wonder if it's a hybrid or a new sub-species.
I noticed that, too. Be sure to let us know if you find out, won't you? She is beautiful!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's gorgeous! TYSM for saving her life! You may have seen our beloved Slither, who shared her land with us when we lived in the Mojave (and I hope is growing and doing well there now!)View attachment 305080She is a Pine-Gopher Snake and when we left, she was about 7' long or more.
Slither is a very beautiful girl!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slither is a very beautiful girl!!
I think so too, thanks! Hopefully she is doing well up there. The buyers of our land promised they'd let her stay and not harm her. She could often be found slithering along up by the barn compound, where she had a plentiful supply of mice and rats. She'd slither right up the side of the metal barn wall to the overhead lights because there would often be rodents running along there. Sorry I couldn't get this to flip, but this is her starting up the wall.
IMG_0999.JPG

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a beauty!! Are you going to keep her? She must have known you were helping her.
No, I've already got Hathor and she's hard enough to feed, because she's So..Bloody..Picky. I don't know if this little one will survive. She was so emaciated and it's been in the 20's the past few nights...But at least she has a chance now.
(Just in case you are curious, yes, Hathor is female. I really don't have any idea about the little one.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've already got Hathor and she's hard enough to feed, because she's So..Bloody..Picky. I don't know if this little one will survive. She was so emaciated and it's been in the 20's the past few nights...But at least she has a chance now.
(Just in case you are curious, yes, Hathor is female. I really don't have any idea about the little one.)
I hope that now she's free she'll have some access to whatever her diet is! I think Slither hibernated. A lot of snakes do.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that, too. Be sure to let us know if you find out, won't you? She is beautiful!
I sent a picture to the Arizona Herpetilogical (sp?) Society and they told me that it isn't a night snake, it's a senoran gophersnake. I never even noticed the eyes are round and not slitted. I must be getting old. I asked why it was up here and they haven't answered yet.

I think Slither hibernated. A lot of snakes do
Hathor is already hibernating. It's been 60°/25° up here.

ETA: Now they are asking all kinds of questions and want the photos I have. I guess there was only one other recorded sighting of this snake in the White Mountains.
I saved something rare. :yess:

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent a picture to the Arizona Herpetilogical (sp?) Society and they told me that it isn't a night snake, it's a senoran gophersnake. I never even noticed the eyes are round and not slitted. I must be getting old. I asked why it was up here and they haven't answered yet.

Hathor is already hibernating. It's been 60°/25° up here.

ETA: Now they are asking all kinds of questions and want the photos I have. I guess there was only one other recorded sighting of this snake in the White Mountains.
I saved something rare. :yess:
*GOOD ON YA!* Now we just hope she will be able to survive and thrive! If she's a gopher snake, she'll eat rodents, too, like Slither. Gopher Snake Care Sheet

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*GOOD ON YA!* Now we just hope she will be able to survive and thrive! If she's a gopher snake, she'll eat rodents, too, like Slither. The Sonoran Desert is below the Mojave and the rodents are similar from one to the other.
Except I don't live in the desert. Yes we do have rodents, but she is smaller than the smallest rodents we have. I hope she can find some bugs before too long. It's getting darn cold.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except I don't live in the desert. Yes we do have rodents, but she is smaller than the smallest rodents we have. I hope she can find some bugs before too long. It's getting darn cold.
Yeah, she's probably out after her normal brumation start period. Did you let her go? She could be fed and cared for over the cold weather seasons pretty easily, it looks like.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she's probably out after her normal brumation start period. Did you let her go? She could be fed and cared for over the cold weather seasons pretty easily, it looks like.
Yes, I let her go. I had a piece of tin on the ground and it was as warm as a heating pad on low (good thing it's not full on summer). She lied on it awhile and then took off. Hopefully, I'll see her next spring. Hopefully, much bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.