The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like wine. I wish I did, but for me it is just a terrible thing to do to grapes. I hate the rotten fruit taste.
I went to a dinner party the other night and one of the other guests made me feel bad. The host knows that I don't care for wine so didn't offer me any. Her sister in law made a big deal about it though. She kept trying to get me to try it. I politely refused but she kept going on and on.
Toward the end of the dinner the sister in law excused herself and was gone for about 10 minutes. When she returned she had a bottle in her hands. She had actually gone to a convenience store and bought a cheap bottle of pink Moscato. She said "Here is something anybody will drink"
I was so embarrassed. And angry. I don't know what the other guests thought, but I thought she was unbelievably rude. I said my goodbyes shortly after that.
Perhaps I am being overly sensitive. The host did text me to apologize for her sister in law's behavior.
As I have stated before, there is a word for people like that- only it can't be used in polite company.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't like wine. I wish I did, but for me it is just a terrible thing to do to grapes. I hate the rotten fruit taste.
:eek2::thud:

I get it. I can’t stand beer. My husband even brews his own beer. I always get “try this. You’ll like it. Everyone does”. It’s irritating.

I can’t believe how rude that woman was ! That’s awful!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek2::thud:

I get it. I can’t stand beer. My husband even brews his own beer. I always get “try this. You’ll like it. Everyone does”. It’s irritating.

I can’t believe how rude that woman was ! That’s awful!
It's so rare for me to go anywhere. I'm a homebody. I suppose SIL thought I wasn't quite sophisticated enough for her crowd. Perhaps she is right, but at least I have enough manners to not to make someone feel uncomfortable or awkward.
I'll just stay home the next time. My cats are MUCH better company! :catrub:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like beer OR wine (I can tolerate a flavored beer or a very sweet wine but I wouldn't choose them myself). But fortunately nobody has been a jerk about it. You have to wonder about people who try to pressure/shame/threaten others to eat or drink something. I bet they aren't very pleasant in other aspects of life either. If someone makes one comment, that's one thing, but if they can't let it go they have a personality problem.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a dinner party the other night and one of the other guests made me feel bad. The host knows that I don't care for wine so didn't offer me any. Her sister in law made a big deal about it though. She kept trying to get me to try it. I politely refused but she kept going on and on.
Toward the end of the dinner the sister in law excused herself and was gone for about 10 minutes. When she returned she had a bottle in her hands. She had actually gone to a convenience store and bought a cheap bottle of pink Moscato. She said "Here is something anybody will drink"
I was so embarrassed. And angry. I don't know what the other guests thought, but I thought she was unbelievably rude. I said my goodbyes shortly after that.
Perhaps I am being overly sensitive. The host did text me to apologize for her sister in law's behavior.
I'm with you. I don't like wine either, in fact, I don't drink at all. Don't like the taste. Don't feel bad, the sister in law had no right.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when people try to force things on you. I don't like wine, either. I like Arbor Mist - does that even count as wine - because it's sweet and doesn't taste rotten. I'm also not a big fan of beer. If I'm gonna drink - which is a rare thing - it's either Arbor Mist or a mixed drink with dinner. I like margaritas - quite a bit. And I used to have this mix for white chocolate raspberry daiquiris. OMG they were amazing.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like margaritas - quite a bit. And I used to have this mix for white chocolate raspberry daiquiris. OMG they were amazing.
There used to be a place called Su Casa in La Jolla that had the best frozen mango margarita's in the world. Those were one drink I would actually have. But, I haven't been there since the '90's and don't even know if the place is still around.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps I am being overly sensitive.
You are not being overly sensitive. This is an unbelievably rude woman! At least you now know to avoid her in the future.

I don't like beer OR wine (I can tolerate a flavored beer or a very sweet wine but I wouldn't choose them myself). But fortunately nobody has been a jerk about it. You have to wonder about people who try to pressure/shame/threaten others to eat or drink something.
:yeah: I can't even tolerate the flavored beers. A sweet dessert wine, yes, in very small amounts, but only infrequently. Come on! My dad died of liver cancer! No, it wasn't caused by drinking or drug use; it was primary liver cancer, which likely has a genetic component. I'm very careful about ingesting anything which can damage my liver, which is not the business of a casual acquaintance met at some dinner party! If I'd had weebeasties weebeasties experience I'm afraid I would have embarrassed everyone there by telling this jerk exactly what I thought of her. Her behavior may get somebody killed one of these days, by shaming someone into drinking something they should avoid.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And an alcoholic shouldn't have to mention that fact just to get someone to leave her (or him) alone! Private is private; our reasons for not wanting to drink something are our own, ranging from personal taste through medical issues all the way to addiction, and no one has the right to demand to know our reasons or to force us to defend them, or, for that matter, to speculate about them. Refusing a drink shouldn't leave people talking about whether or not you're an alcoholic behind your back.

I have a friend who is legally blind. She's also, um, a borderline alcoholic? Is that the correct term? She recognizes in herself a tendency to addiction and a desire to drink that she feels to be dangerous, so she fights it by not drinking. Anyway, when she was taking some classes at a local college, after class she would go with her study group to a local bar, where she'd be the only one drinking Ginger Ale. She had a button made:
Designated Driver
I may be blind, but at least I'm sober.
Margret

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
About all this drinking or not. Wine does not taste like rotten fruit because it isn't. It's fermented which means that the sugar and yeast in it are turning into alcohol with the things that make the certain flavor of the grape still in the resulting wine although somewhat changed. The wine I made is from Concord grapes which have that certain flavor of Welch's grape juice. I am not fond of that although it makes nice jelly. My wine however does not taste like Welch's grape juice although quite fruity but I can't say what it does taste of. Probably has something to do with whatever the bees were visiting before they came to my grape vine.
Wine should be enjoyed, with food or as an after-dinner drink if it's on the sweet side and never should be drunk in excess, it will give you a headache.

Anyone who declares that they don't drink "hard stuff" but then indulges in a mixed drink or cocktail apparently does not know that the alcoholic beverage they are consuming is indeed the "hard stuff", it just goes down easier. A "wine cooler" is wine mixed with a soft drink but it's still alcoholic. So is what we used to call "7 and 7" which is 7Up mixed with Seagrams Seven, a whisky, and is certainly a cocktail and you can get very tipsy on that very fast. The various things with names like "apple wine" and the like are still wine although there are wines (and beer) without alcohol, I don't know how they make that. Some people will make non-alcoholic cocktails such as a "Shirley Temple" or a "Virgin Margarita" or "Virgin Bloody Mary" . I suppose that a reformed alcoholic might like those.
Some people don't like wine but will consume whiskey or beer. Then there are "cordials" which are highly alcoholic, usually sweet and are an infusion of fruit and sugar pickled in a neutral alcohol like vodka or tequila. Liqueurs are similar to that, also sweet but made in a different way. Brandy is another way.
I have no problem with people not drinking anything in particular, personally I don't like beer and there is a lot I have not tasted so I have no opinion on those beverages.
Around this time of year people drag out the eggnog and spike it with brandy and claim it's really not an alcoholic beverage. They are only fooling themselves.
If somebody does not indulge in any kind of alcoholic beverage that is fine too. Some are teetotalers because they used to have a drinking problem, others for religious reasons etc. Who am I to concern myself with their reasons? It's none of my business.
For someone to insist to "just try it" after having been told no thank you is just rude and becomes obnoxious if he/she becomes persistent. There are things I can't or won't eat, it's the same with that but I hardly ever see an adult trying to convince another adult to "just try it" (children are another story). That SIL should be banned from get-togethers until she learns better manners and somebody needs to sit her down and explain it to her.

Yes, you can use champagne for cooking, after all it's just fizzy wine, but I would give it to somebody who would appreciate it.

A company that hands out alcoholic beverages at Christmas perhaps means well but is behind the times. I would say thank you and use it as a present to someone else who appreciates it.

Yes, Moscato is sweet and fizzy like a soft drink but with a slight kick but it's still wine. It is also pretty cheap and most people who do drink that are after the buzz it gives them which is never a good thing. It is not something you would have with a meal, too sweet.
Off my:soapbox:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Moscato. I have a very big sweet tooth.

There's this Mexican restaurant we go to sometimes that makes horchata margaritas. I'm not normally a tequila fan, but those are good.

I don't like beer, so usually a cider is my preferred alternate in a more casual setting.

But forcing food or drink on someone is never cool.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually had someone say to me, when they were offering drinks, "Oh come on, one won't hurt you". me - "No it won't, but I don't want it".
I don't get why people want to make you do the same thing they do. I'm not saying that I never drank, but I haven't had even a wine cooler since before I got pregnant. And I don't miss it.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John is an alcoholic. He's been sober for a long time, but it wasn't easy for him to do it. He would think he could have a beer and be fine. And he would be - that night. Within 2 weeks, he'd lose control, get a bottle of whiskey, and stay drunk for 2 or 3 days. He was never mean or violent, just annoying and dumb. But it wasn't healthy. Last summer, a friend invited us to her family reunion. I've been friends with this girl since I was 8 - we're family. After we left, John told me her brother offered him a beer. "Oh, you can have one; we won't tell Alicia." If he'd told me about it before we left, I woulda slugged him. John refused, but if he hadn't . . . he would have been throwing away all the work he'd done to get where he is. I still get mad thinking about it. And I think of the guy like a little brother, but I still wanna pop him the next time I see him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is a recovering alcoholic too. He quit drinking when I was about 8 because we saw him drunk and he never wanted his kids to see him drunk. He never really liked hard alcohol but at that party they ran out of beer so he started drinking vodka mixed with grape Hi-C. You'd have to be drunk to drink grape Hi-C at all! But when we met him at the party, he picked me up and then fell over, and then he had to stop to barf on the way home. And that was it for him. His dad was drunk his whole life and he didn't want that for himself.

It's difficult for a sailor not to drink, but he managed it somehow, as far as I know at least.

He won't touch any alcohol at all now. He said he wanted a beer recently, so my mom told him she'd buy just one and take his keys so he couldn't go get more, but he said it wasn't worth trying even if he did want one. It's good he knows his limits. But, yes, definitely a reason not to pressure anyone to drink! You don't know their history.

I was always cautious about drinking because of the family history. But I recently developed a taste for Smirnoff Ice so I have one now and then, and I'll have a mojito if I'm at a restaurant that serves them. I don't feel any pull to have more than one. I don't know how people can drink a lot of alcohol, and especially carbonated drinks, anyway. I have no idea what would have happened if I started drinking at a younger age. Maybe my brain would have been more prone to addiction, idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.