The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
The bench looks wonderful. What a clever idea!
kashmir64 kashmir64
So glad it worked! I covered our old Christmas tree with bitter spray once. The cats acted like it was a condiment and chewed it even more! :doh:
foxxycat foxxycat
I usually spot good deals on cars when I don't have the money and then when I do have some cash saved and really need a vehicle, all I can find are moneypits in the making. :(

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It worked. She walked over to the wires in the protector and walked away. Right over to the surge protector. :gaah:
I thought I saw a cover for those on Amazon.
What does she want to do to the surge protector? Chew on the cord? Step on the power switch? Stick a claw in an outlet?

If you find a cover for the entire thing that won't prevent you from using it, grab it! Lacking that, if you're worried about claws in outlets go to some place like Target and find the Baby department and look for products to baby-proof your house - some of them are equally useful for cat-proofing, and in this case what you need are outlet protectors. They're cheap, easy to use, and should do the job.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
The bench looks wonderful. What a clever idea!
kashmir64 kashmir64
So glad it worked! I covered our old Christmas tree with bitter spray once. The cats acted like it was a condiment and chewed it even more! :doh:
foxxycat foxxycat
I usually spot good deals on cars when I don't have the money and then when I do have some cash saved and really need a vehicle, all I can find are moneypits in the making. :(
weebeasties weebeasties yep everything looks like it's got issues and some of the years that are available have tons of problems...seems 2011 was a bad year for the Buick Lacrosse which is just the Lesabre but renamed.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does she want to do to the surge protector? Chew on the cord? Step on the power switch? Stick a claw in an outlet?
She's chewing on the plugs that go into it.
Last night, I just unplugged the surge (everything is off while I sleep) and put an area rug over it. She didn't mess with it all night. I thought she outgrew this cord chewing thing, but rearranging the room must have set her off again.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Sometimes you can get an old car that looks terrible for a good price and which basically is in good condition. Two years ago I got a 1996 Oldsmobile 88 for $500.00. The paint was eaten by the California sun after being kept in it for 18 years, the AC needed a new compressor which is a necessity here, the rack and pinion was going, but the car had only 117,000 miles on it and the interior was flawless. It was somebody's 2nd car and the owner's wife had taken his car keys away from him due to inability to drive it anymore because of Alzheimers. I needed a car like immediately as I had wrecked my van, all by myself, no injuries but to my pride, and I had little money. I have a reasonably priced mechanic so I got the compressor and the rack and pinion replaced after a few months, about $600.00 for both, and had the car painted at MAACO the month after that, another $500.00 as the paint was so bad that the body of the car had just started to rust slightly in patches of the roof, trunk and hood and had to be sanded down, otherwise it would have been $300. So the car cost about $1,600. Last year it needed tires and I got those at a sale and a new stereo system at Best Buy for $150. I now have a beautiful, very comfortable car which my mechanic says will last me at least another 5 years. Since I'm retired I don't drive as much as I used to because I don't have to commute to work so I don't use as much gas. Sure, this baby only gets about 15 mpg but a ride in a big, quiet, comfortable car when I do have to go some distance (every few months I drive to San Diego which is 78 miles away and always seek out the least expensive gas station to fill up) is worth the price. I had rented a car while this one was being painted, a little box of a car as I just needed it be able to get around, and it was noisy, rode really hard and I felt I had no protection around me in case somebody hit me (I have never caused an accident in 47 years of driving and have only gotten 3 tickets, all of them for speeding). So I think I got a pretty good deal and hope to drive this not quite as big a car as they used to make for a few more years. Also, the insurance and registration is low so that is another good point.
When the car was painted all the little plastic decals that proclaimed the car to be an Oldsmobile came off so now hardly anyone knows what it is. The only give-away for its age is that it has a real bumper front and back sticking out about 6 inches and that it is wider than most cars on the road but not much.
new old car 010.JPG
here it is in the underground garage before it was painted, it did not look too bad but to keep it from rusting more I got the paint done. Now it looks like a new car.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling kind of down. I feel like school and work are the only things keeping my depression at bay, and it just comes rushing back when I have neither. I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday to discuss medication.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday and today in bed :disappointed:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeling kind of down. I feel like school and work are the only things keeping my depression at bay, and it just comes rushing back when I have neither. I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday to discuss medication.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I know what that feels like.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think something is seriously wrong with me. I'm driving back from town, and in front of this house, I see a cow that was slaughtered, head still on, skinned and hanging from a tree to finish bleeding out. I start laughing. Not just laughing, but laughing so hard I almost drove off the road. Why did I think this was so hysterical? It's not like I've never seen a cow butchered before, but it struck me and I couldn't stop laughing. I need help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think something is seriously wrong with me. I'm driving back from town, and in front of this house, I see a cow that was slaughtered, head still on, skinned and hanging from a tree to finish bleeding out. I start laughing. Not just laughing, but laughing so hard I almost drove off the road. Why did I think this was so hysterical? It's not like I've never seen a cow butchered before, but it struck me and I couldn't stop laughing. I need help.
Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who is as twisted as a macrame hoot-owl, but sometimes things just hit us oddly. Be glad that you were in the car alone. My dad had a fit of laughter at his mother's funeral, when he realized that the name of the funeral home was "Rideout-Underwood." My uncle had made the arrangements, and somehow, it just hadn't connected for him until then.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's chewing on the plugs that go into it.
Last night, I just unplugged the surge (everything is off while I sleep) and put an area rug over it. She didn't mess with it all night. I thought she outgrew this cord chewing thing, but rearranging the room must have set her off again.
In that case, find a cardboard box the appropriate size, make holes for the cords to fit through (make the holes as large as necessary to get the plugs through, but leave a cardboard flap), put the whole assembly in the box, and seal it with packing tape, including taping down the cardboard flaps. DIY power strip protector.

Medication may be a very good idea; it certainly works for me. You may also want to try taking some probiotics. I know that sounds strange, but listen to (or read) this story before you write it off: http://www.cpr.org/news/npr-story/gut-bacteria-might-guide-workings-our-minds. It seems to be working for my husband. Other things that may help:
  • Taking a walk.
  • Rocking in a rocking chair (basically, any rhythmic movement).
  • Learning to meditate. (Rhythmic movement is a shortcut to a meditative state.)
  • Yoga. I'm not talking about the deep, meditative end of Yoga, I'm talking about the physical practice. Yoga is basically stretching. Don't do anything that hurts, just things you're comfortable with, and you may find that you feel so much better physically that you also feel better emotionally. You can find quite a few videos on YouTube.
  • A purring cat.
  • Playing with a cat.
  • Good music.
  • Reading a good book.
  • Getting a massage.
:vibes::vibes::vibes: :alright: :grouphug2: :bouquet:

Margret

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Oldsmobile was the car my Dad always bought when I was growing up! I heard they don't make them anymore. I think he bought them because they were made in the USA.

1998 was the last time they made Oldsmobiles with that name, but the Cutlass was still made in 1999 and the Aurora through 2003, both were made by Oldsmobile.The company closed its doors in 2004. Oldsmobile was considered a luxury car sort of like a Buick but not in the league of Lincoln or Cadillac. It's the first time I have bought other than a Japanese car and it certainly is luxurious. I hope it will hold up as well as the Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.