The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that an evaporative cooler? I have a portable that sits on the floor but it's not powerful enough for these temps.
Yes. I can't remember any place where I had actual AC, even in Phx. You just crack a window in the direction you need the air, and it gets almost cold.

The type of pads makes a huge difference. I've tried almost all types and I always come back to the straw/grass type ones because they are the only ones that really work.

If yours in on the floor, try putting it higher, up against an open window. They need air to give air.
How do you keep the pads wet if it's portable? Where did you get it? I ask because my Arizona room is very hot and I can't open the door to it (because...Samai) so it doesn't get the benefit of the evap I have.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I can't remember any place where I had actual AC, even in Phx. You just crack a window in the direction you need the air, and it gets almost cold.

The type of pads makes a huge difference. I've tried almost all types and I always come back to the straw/grass type ones because they are the only ones that really work.

If yours in on the floor, try putting it higher, up against an open window. They need air to give air.
How do you keep the pads wet if it's portable? Where did you get it? I ask because my Arizona room is very hot and I can't open the door to it (because...Samai) so it doesn't get the benefit of the evap I have.
Mine is a misting fan. It has a small tank at the bottom with a tube that takes the water up to the fan at the top. It's like the air coolers that were out years ago. Don't remember if I got it on Amazon or QVC but here's a description on Amazon.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Swamp coolers. I remember those from living in Texas many moons ago. I never did understand why you would add humidity to a place where it is already up to 90% or more which it is Ft Worth and other undesirable places like that. Way back when there were even swamp coolers for cars that looked like a long can which protruded from the top of the passengers' window. Now El Paso is different, it's high desert and the humidity many times is in the low teens. So Arizona, New Mexico and other desert states (yes, even parts of California and Nevada) would benefit from swamp coolers, but I still prefer real A/C even if I have to stick one in the window or at least exhaust it out one. Many times here I can survive just fine with just a fan but when the desert winds (the dreaded Santa Anas) blow and the temps climb to the high 90s or more for a week then the A/C gets cranked up. Right now temps dip into the 60s at night so all windows are open and then I close up the next morning and stays cool through early afternoon when it climbs to 80 (outside it might be 85+) when I turn on a fan just to stir the air around a bit and all is well in the world.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swamp coolers. I remember those from living in Texas many moons ago. I never did understand why you would add humidity to a place where it is already up to 90% or more which it is Ft Worth and other undesirable places like that. Way back when there were even swamp coolers for cars that looked like a long can which protruded from the top of the passengers' window. Now El Paso is different, it's high desert and the humidity many times is in the low teens. So Arizona, New Mexico and other desert states (yes, even parts of California and Nevada) would benefit from swamp coolers, but I still prefer real A/C even if I have to stick one in the window or at least exhaust it out one. Many times here I can survive just fine with just a fan but when the desert winds (the dreaded Santa Anas) blow and the temps climb to the high 90s or more for a week then the A/C gets cranked up. Right now temps dip into the 60s at night so all windows are open and then I close up the next morning and stays cool through early afternoon when it climbs to 80 (outside it might be 85+) when I turn on a fan just to stir the air around a bit and all is well in the world.
That's the one bad thing about an evap. During the monsoon (right now) temps are still in the high 90's, but they don't work in humidity. So, August is a bear. Fortunately, for 11 months, Arizona's humidity is only around 7-12%, so they work well.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I did that today. I was exhausted after work and hubby was not home due to a happy hour at his office. I was wishing cooked food would just materialize. It did not happen so I ordered in dinner. Hubby normally cooks on Thursdays. He has had issues with identity theft and monitors our accounts to be sure nothing is messed up. I sent him a text saying I was ordering food. His reply was go for it. None of the food in my house looked appetizing tonight. I ended up eating Domino's Pizza- Bread Bites and Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake for dinner,

I was supposed to work early tomorrow morning but the store was over budget for the week so the store manager asked me if I wanted to take a personal day tomorrow if he could get my co-worker to come in at 6am instead of 8am. She said yes and I have a lot of unused vacation time so I will still get paid for tomorrow. I was already scheduled off for Saturday so I now have 2 days in a row off. We have company coming in tomorrow so hubby took the day off too. He has to get our car detailed inside and has promised to pick-up coffee for me too.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one who opens the fridge, freezer, and cabinets like I think something appetizing is suddenly going to appear? Repeat 25 times until I settle for what's in there?
I do that all the time. I'm hungry for something, but I don't know what. I've made a rule for myself. If I open the fridge and cabinets 2 times and haven't found what I want yet, I tell myself that I must not have been hungry after all and go do something.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know I'm hungry. I'm slightly hypoglycemic so if I don't eat within 30 minutes of feeling hungry, I get nauseous, lightheaded, weak, and shaky. I just have a bad habit of not wanting the food that I have available.
Little man is actually asleep so I think it's time for me to join him. It's storming hard and I always sleep so well when it storms. He seems to have gotten that from me.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My children used to do that and it drove me crazy. I told them if they did not know what they wanted out of the fridge then to leave the door closed until they did know, that I did not want to cool the whole house with an open fridge door. Money was too tight to waste it on airconditioning the house via an open fridge door.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for when you have a migraine. One time, I had a real bad migraine and almost crawled into the kitchen. Stood staring into the fridge for almost 5 minutes before my son finally asked me what I wanted in there. Unfortunately, the brain (or at least mine) doesn't fire correctly when I've got a migraine. My response-"the toilet. I know I've seen it somewhere but can't remember where it is".
I hate it when that happens. (and that's not the first time)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't confuse me. They just make my head literally point. I can feel my temples throbbing. And when they're really bad, they make me puke. And I can't stand the tiniest bit of light. The light from the smoke detector is too much for me.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get migraines too and can get really light sensitive. If I come home from work with one I text my hubby and tell him I am going to bed. He will usually check on me when he gets home by leaving the lights off and asking me if I feel like eating. If I tell him yes he will usually go get me a glass of ginger ale to drink and then go relax for a little while on his computer in the den. He will come and see if I was able to drink the ginger ale. If he can tell I was able to keep ginger ale down he will ask what I want to eat. Sometimes he will just go and get me a milkshake so I can get something in my stomach and just go back to sleep. He has actually sat on the bed in the dark holding a cereal bowl for me to eat when I just wanted to eat a little bit of food and go back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.