The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the pica might be at least partially due to her early separation from her mother. I'm not a vet or a dog psychologist; it's just a thought. Poor little pup. I hope her mother was spayed after, but from the way you described the owner, that seems doubtful.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dogs need to be older. 8 weeks at least but 12 weeks is a much better age to leave mom. My dog was a special case I guess. The lady lied to us about her age and when we went to look at her, she came clean. Wouldn't let us see her mother either. I asked if she was a breeder because she made herself seem that way online but she wasn't. He dog just "accidentally" got pregnant. And I told her she was so young but she said she thought it would be better since they'd get use to their new family more which is completely incorrect. She knew nothing about dogs at all. Fed the puppies hotdogs and junk food. I felt sorry for the little girl so I didn't fight my mom when she decided to get her for me. And I'm glad I did because it worked out fine. She has so many issues, I'm sure if an inexperienced person were to have gotten her, she'd be in a shelter by now. Like I said before, severe pica. She'll eat anything. She tried to eat a metal blade once and some coins. She also eats her own poop regularly. We've taken her to the vet but they didn't help much so we try to manage on our own. On top of that, she has a genetic mutation which she probably inherited from a parent or grandparent.
One of the dogs we had, Merlin, was a street puppy. Here's what I mean by that; someone took a litter of puppies and dropped them off on the street next to ours in a cardboard box. It sounds completely horrible--but the pups were two months old when dropped, which means he wanted to give them some kind of chance. (And they were dropped off in a wealthy neighborhood with lots of children.

While we're talking about what I do and do not know about animals--is milk fever really a thing? I heard (from a cousin who had trouble breastfeeding) that if the feeding is stopped any way but naturally (or with pharmacudical drugs) the milk can compact in the breast causing a fever. I have no doubt that's what happened to her, but does that happen to dogs and cats?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puppies are cute, fun, and DESTRUCTIVE!
Have you got that right. My Dalmatian loved drywall. He ate a hole in my bathroom wall big enough to step through.
On the other side, one day my mom was over and went to hose off the horses for me. I lived in Phoenix at the time and the temp was around 112°. She reached for the hose and my Dalmatian started to growl, showing teeth. As she reached down a little lower, he grabbed her hand and pulled her away. It was only then, she heard the rattle. It was coiled in the hose.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I definitely don't want to raise a puppy. I just don't think I'd have the energy. But I'll have to make sure whatever dog we adopt likes cats. I think Connor and Murphy will do ok. They were born in a home with dogs. Mickey and Marcy on the other hand . . . It might be an adjustment. But, if we do get a dog, it won't be anytime soon. We need a bigger place and preferably a fenced yard.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get plenty of potassium and the pains aren't really cramps. My legs just hurt and I don't get why.
Well, let's see. Could it possibly be muscle pains because your center of balance is off?

Ugh. AWM just informed me that there was a cat mess in my room (again) that I didn't know about (wrong time of month to be able to smell) and it turned out there were three distinct messes under the dresser! They'd been there a while too--I'm waiting for the third one to soak enough to clean up. (Gross, I know.) Should I just give in and put a litter box in my room? I don't want to do that, because I don't want them to think of my room as a toilet, but they're messing in there anyway. (And no, I don't know which cat it is.)
Looks like they'll be doing it in there either way, why not keep the damage down and let them have a litter box?

For what it's worth, I think "bathroom" is a human concept. I strongly suspect that, while cats may notice that humans only do that kind of thing in one or two rooms they probably just consider it to be one more evidence that humans are a bit weird. And in all fairness, the primary reason we use a specific room for it is all of the plumbing that's involved. Before the advent of modern plumbing most people kept a chamber pot under or next to the bed, for use in the middle of the night.

She'll eat anything. She tried to eat a metal blade once and some coins. She also eats her own poop regularly. We've taken her to the vet but they didn't help much so we try to manage on our own. On top of that, she has a genetic mutation which she probably inherited from a parent or grandparent.

While we're talking about what I do and do not know about animals--is milk fever really a thing? I heard (from a cousin who had trouble breastfeeding) that if the feeding is stopped any way but naturally (or with pharmacudical drugs) the milk can compact in the breast causing a fever. I have no doubt that's what happened to her, but does that happen to dogs and cats?
Remember the James Herriot books about his life as a country vet? I'm pretty sure I recall a story or two about that happening, but I could be wrong.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, let's see. Could it possibly be muscle pains because your center of balance is off?

Looks like they'll be doing it in there either way, why not keep the damage down and let them have a litter box?

For what it's worth, I think "bathroom" is a human concept. I strongly suspect that, while cats may notice that humans only do that kind of thing in one or two rooms they probably just consider it to be one more evidence that humans are a bit weird. And in all fairness, the primary reason we use a specific room for it is all of the plumbing that's involved. Before the advent of modern plumbing most people kept a chamber pot under or next to the bed, for use in the middle of the night.

Remember the James Herriot books about his life as a country vet? I'm pretty sure I recall a story or two about that happening, but I could be wrong.

Margret
You think maybe the cold weather, in conjunction with all the furniture crammed into the house, might be causing problems?

:flail: That song is great!

My cousin's problems was one of the reasons I was so adamant to my family that Rose be allowed to dictate when she stopped feeding the kits.

Try this one! :)

It humors me because AWM will occasionally go, "If that cat could talk..." and Spot will meow at her as he shakes the base of his tail (he's always done that, since he was kitten).

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, we had to take kittens away from one of our cats. She had 7, then adopted 2 orphans and was still nursing them on demand at 7 months old. We gave her all the food she could eat, but she was still thin as a rail. She couldn't keep up and refused to stop feeding them, even though they could clearly eat on their own. Very dedicated mama.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats have been treated for fleas again. They all had a cow and went off to hide. I don't know why they hate it so much. It's just a tube of stuff applied to their necks. John asked if it burns or something but I got some on my hand and didn't feel a thing so I just don't know.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the pica might be at least partially due to her early separation from her mother. I'm not a vet or a dog psychologist; it's just a thought. Poor little pup. I hope her mother was spayed after, but from the way you described the owner, that seems doubtful.
Yeah, I'm sure she didn't get that dog spayed. Clearly, money was more important. Too many people do that now a days. It's like no one is even taking the breed into consideration or trying to learn how they can better it. I can assure you, if she was a real breeder and she noticed that her dog gave birth to puppies with the genetic mutation my dog now has, that dog wouldn't be allowed to breed again. There aren't health risk associated with it but it's undesirable amoung breeders of the breeds that it's common in. And I know this because I've spoken to several and done enough research to know.

The pica could be caused by her being taken early but I think it's just poor genetics. And yes, I could have refused to take the puppy at that age but she would have just sold her to someone else.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not getting notifications of new posts for this thread, grrrr.

I would say extremely possible, since mastitis happens to nursing mothers. I was fortunate to never get it, but it can happen any time a human mother is nursing, and often antibiotics are needed. Part of the remedy though is continuing to nurse because getting the milk out flushes the system and the baby doesn't get sick from it. Maybe it's nature's way of building the baby's immune system? But back on topic, I could easily see mastitis occurring during a sudden weaning and it being worsened by the milk staying in there instead of getting flushed out.

Oh, if any of you are looking for a second job, I highly recommend Target now. My weekly hours average was under 30 hours and they still gave me half my average wages after I came back following taking FMLA. I did not expect this, and it is very welcome.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not getting notifications of new posts for this thread, grrrr.
When you do get notifications, have you ever notice that the notification says that there may be other posts after the one you're being notified of? This is because you have to actually visit the thread before you'll get any more notifications, possibly you have to either post in the thread or purraise someone so the site knows you've visited (I'm not sure about that part).

If that isn't it, you may have somehow turned off your subscription to the thread.

I've flagged your post so that an administrator will see that you're having problems.

Margret

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
When you do get notifications, have you ever notice that the notification says that there may be other posts after the one you're being notified of? This is because you have to actually visit the thread before you'll get any more notifications, possibly you have to either post in the thread or purraise someone so the site knows you've visited (I'm not sure about that part).

If that isn't it, you may have somehow turned off your subscription to the thread.

Margret
I think more likely the latter as I'm not even getting notifications after visiting here. But I think it stopped when Firefox for whatever reason started blocking all notifications from all sites unless I specifically jumped through their hoops to allow notifications. Since most of the time I couldn't figure out how to do that a lot of threads from all forums I'm on stopped notifying me. Most of the threads though, once I replied again after the block the sites started sending me notifications again. Since that was happening automatically I have no idea how to manually turn it back on for the threads that don't auto-add.

Edit: Firefox stopped doing that after just a few weeks, so I guess no one liked it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that your cousin must be thinking of mastitis, an inflammation of the mammary glands that can occur in any mammal. Actual "milk fever" occurs in cows when the sudden onslaught of milk production strips the body of calcium, and if untreated can result in death. It can occur in dogs and cats, as well. Dunno about horses, and have never heard of it in humans. HOWEVER...some new moms experience chills and low-grade fever when their milk first comes in, and that has been referred to as "milk fever" by some people.

Now, there was something interesting that I wanted to be sure and tell you guys, and now I've forgotten it!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you're talking about what happens in livestock. I only have experience with horses, cows and goats.
When the mother comes into the first heat after birth, the baby will get what we call the scours if you're not careful. Farmers believe that it is caused by 'souring of the milk' due to the strong heat cycle. It is sometimes called milk fever. I have never heard of it in humans though.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firefox stopped doing that after just a few weeks, so I guess no one liked it.
You can say that again!

To fix the problem:
Post a message. Edit the message you just posted. While editing you'll see three buttons just underneath the editor:
  1. Save Changes
  2. Upload a File
  3. Preview...
Below that you'll see options:
  1. Watch this thread...
  2. and receive email notifications
Make sure that both options have check marks next to them. If they don't, put them there, before you click on "Save Changes.

There's probably an easier way, but I don't know it.

When the mother comes into the first heat after birth, the baby will get what we call the scours if you're not careful. Farmers believe that it is caused my 'souring of the milk' due to the strong heat cycle. It is sometimes called milk fever. I have never heard of it in humans though.
You couldn't have; humans don't go into heat.

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I stick with a tiny pill every day. No side effects and no oops babies. Lol
I feel bad for people who have issues with the pill. One type made me a psycho, moody nutjob but I switched and was fine and just stick with that. Until we decided to have a baby, anyway. I either had a false positive test or an early miscarriage the first month after going off it and then was pregnant with this little guy the next month.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I stick with a tiny pill every day. No side effects and no oops babies. Lol
I feel bad for people who have issues with the pill. One type made me a psycho, moody nutjob but I switched and was fine and just stick with that. Until we decided to have a baby, anyway. I either had a false positive test or an early miscarriage the first month after going off it and then was pregnant with this little guy the next month.
I got the Depo shot. You can't have an oops with that. It stops not only ovulation but also cycling. I didn't have a period for over 10 years. Had to stop it though, menopause took over and that was just too much estrogen in my system. Still haven't had one. It's been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.