The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's just sick and wrong. I had someone ask me the other day if mine were declawed and how I was gonna keep them from scratching the baby. After I told her what declawing was, she said, oh that's awful!
I like to believe that most people are just ignorant and don't know what it entails. If they were educated about it, I think they'd be less likely to do it. Of course, there are still some truly horrible people who just don't care about anything but their own convenience but I really hope they're in the minority.
I disagree. Nearly everyone knows what it is.

Think about people who only have a post or two and an account started within the last day. When I get graphic and compare it to chopping off their own fingers, not a single person has said "Is that what they really do?". They instead accuse me of being mean to them about their choice and doing a ridiculous comparison. So they know, but in their mind the furniture is worth amputation because it's only a cat, not a human like them.

The very few people who think it's cauterizing the nail bed would have the process thoroughly explained by the vet as part of informed consent prior to surgery, and would have opportunity to change their minds once the facts are laid out.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that's just sick and wrong. I had someone ask me the other day if mine were declawed and how I was gonna keep them from scratching the baby. After I told her what declawing was, she said, oh that's awful!
I like to believe that most people are just ignorant and don't know what it entails. If they were educated about it, I think they'd be less likely to do it. Of course, there are still some truly horrible people who just don't care about anything but their own convenience but I really hope they're in the minority.
The Denver City Council just voted to make it illegal to declaw a cat in the city of Denver. :clap: :clap2: There was one major argument against it -- that the law was unnecessary since most vets already refuse to declaw cats. I think the Council decided based on that one word: "most."

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I haven't seen the posts where people were defending declawing.
I was thrilled when I saw that Denver had banned it. I have a great aunt with a declawed cat. She mentioned it when my grandma and I stopped to get her while on the way to a funeral last summer. I didn't argue with her about it. It seemed like an inappropriate time, plus - this may sound kind of horrible but it's not meant that way - she's in her late 70's and I figured she probally won't be getting another cat in her lifetime and I didn't think I should start a family feud. She's very opinionated.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thrilled when I saw that Denver had banned it. I have a great aunt with a declawed cat. She mentioned it when my grandma and I stopped to get her while on the way to a funeral last summer. I didn't argue with her about it. It seemed like an inappropriate time, plus - this may sound kind of horrible but it's not meant that way - she's in her late 70's and I figured she poetically won't be getting another cat in her lifetime and I didn't think I should start a family feud. She's very opinionated.
Not to mention that it isn't as if you're trying to talk her out of it for this cat -- what's done is done.

I didn't tell my brother about it when I saw him in 2014 and found out that he'd had all of his cats declawed. He wasn't married then; he is now and it appears that the marriage is happy, and his wife is allergic, so they aren't going to be getting any more cats either.

I guess I haven't seen the posts where people were defending declawing.
They don't generally last long. People join the site, start to defend declawing, get jumped on by everyone here, and decide that TCS isn't for them, or they get educated by TCS members and start asking for suggestions of how to help their cat now that the deed has been done.

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt bad for the kitty, but you're right - it's not like I could reattach the claws. She's on my Facebook - she's disagreed with my political views in a very rude manner - and I'm sure she's seen my anti-declawing rants so I'm just going to leave it at that. I can't say I even know her well. She's my grandma's brother's wife and I really only see her at funerals now that I'm an adult and not living with my grandma anymore.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I have a declawed Persian but she was that way when I got her. The original "owners" (I would not call them cat parents) apparently had her declawed in front right away and as if that was not bad enough they abandoned the poor thing after a year when they returned to Japan, locked up the house and put the cat outside to fend for itself. Poor baby was obviously traumatized as nobody could catch her although the neighbors fed her. The lady next door finally did manage to entice her inside, got her cleaned up and kept her for 10 years when the old lady passed away. That's when I got her as her son could not keep her. I have now had her for over 6 years which makes her going on 18. She's perfectly happy but will bite when I comb her and the comb or brush gets stuck in the tangles. She's a real joy and I hope to have her many more years. She DOES NOT like her feet touched and I'm not surprised. I do wonder though if they still hurt her. She still has the instinct to "sharpen her claws", she looks really cute "scratching" the furniture, never the scratching post which is probably too rough for her tender feet.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a declawed Persian but she was that way when I got her. The original "owners" (I would not call them cat parents) apparently had her declawed in front right away and as if that was not bad enough they abandoned the poor thing after a year when they returned to Japan, locked up the house and put the cat outside to fend for itself. Poor baby was obviously traumatized as nobody could catch her although the neighbors fed her. The lady next door finally did manage to entice her inside, got her cleaned up and kept her for 10 years when the old lady passed away.
That's so sad. Poor little thing.

She DOES NOT like her feet touched and I'm not surprised. I do wonder though if they still hurt her. She still has the instinct to "sharpen her claws", she looks really cute "scratching" the furniture, never the scratching post which is probably too rough for her tender feet.
Claw sharpening does more than sharpen the claws. It works those muscles, stretches the cat's back, and is a very deeply ingrained instinct for cats. They pretty much have to do it, with or without actual claws. And yes, her feet probably do still hurt.

Margret

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hump Day, my week it at the halfway point. I'm been second guessing my decission to take in a dog in need while his humans move and get settled in, hopefully with a landlord that will allow him to rejoin his family as it should be. While I'm a sucker for PUPPYDOG EYES I really do not need a another family dog but do not want a young happy well trained boy to potentially be destroyed needlessly. I am only sharing my innermost thought with you "I will keep him if things do NOT work out" shhhhhhh!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got talked into dogsitting SNOOPY, HIS people are moving and until they can prove they are good renters, NO PETS! I cannot let him go to the pound (need my head examined!) there are kids that are so broken hearted and at CHRISTMAS, it makes me tear up. BTW he has never seen a kitty. Lady Clarol send me a case of blonde coloring in case overnight I go gray. I may regrwt this but we all need a second chance.
Yep, and as for the post right above mine, No, you can't let him be destroyed through no fault of his own when you can do something about it. It isn't often that we link to articles in this thread, but here ya go! Introducing Cats To Dogs

Dooo iiittt!

LOL, we're all enablers here :D.
Do it, do it, do it do it doit! You know you want that sweet little handful of fur!

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
So I could murder my cat right now. Midway's been yowling every morning at 7am for months. Since his goal is to get a human to pay attention to him, as soon as I get up he bolts down the stairs. He's also been pouncing and chasing Montressor to the point where Montressor is fearful when he sees Midway.

A few days ago my husband had an overnight business trip. Since I can handle cats whining and he can't and I really didn't want to be up at 7am again I put Midway in the bedroom with me and shut the door. We never shut doors as Midway takes a shut door to be a personal insult and will cry and claw at it no matter which side of the door he is on. Yeah, that means no bathroom privacy. That also means he has access to our room the entire night and chooses not to be there.

He went to the door and meowed one time loudly. I called his name, he stopped. About 5-10 minutes later another single meow, I called his name and he stopped. A third time a few minutes after that same thing. And then he stopped, was quiet all night. The next morning I woke up with Montressor partially covering my face, got him off, and Midway was calmly sleeping on my husband's pillows.

Since that day he is happy when locked into the bedroom with us at night. The yowling has stopped completely. During the day he is nearly always up in the bedroom with Montressor, both of them relaxed and peaceful. They even had a play fight yesterday, the first one in months. Montressor got a little spooked after a few minutes and gave a weird high pitched meow and got off the bed quickly, but Midway didn't even attempt to chase him.

Why is it the little twerp is yowling his head off and being a bully to Montressor when he has access to the bedroom 24/7, but the little twerp is happy as a clam during the day when locked into the bedroom for the entire night and cannot leave?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make you ask questions? I got home from dinner to find everyone right where I left them, sat down, and immediately had a Mickey on my lap. I'm preferred over the box. Yay! Actually, I think he just wants belly rubs. I've never met a cat who loves belly rubs as much as Mickey. Connor and Murphy like them, but Mickey demands them. The second he catches your eye, he rolls over and presents the belly. It's hilarious.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it the little twerp is yowling his head off and being a bully to Montressor when he has access to the bedroom 24/7, but the little twerp is happy as a clam during the day when locked into the bedroom for the entire night and cannot leave?
Um, cattitude?

To make you ask questions? I got home from dinner to find everyone right where I left them, sat down, and immediately had a Mickey on my lap. I'm preferred over the box. Yay! Actually, I think he just wants belly rubs. I've never met a cat who loves belly rubs as much as Mickey. Connor and Murphy like them, but Mickey demands them. The second he catches your eye, he rolls over and presents the belly. It's hilarious.
That's what we named Floppy for; she'd roll over on her back so you could first admire her beautiful white belly and then scratch it.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To quote my father yet again (it's been said on TCS before), "Who knows from cats?" and he could get anything with fur to do pretty much anything he wanted them to do at any given time.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
They kinda make you wonder why people think cats hate belly rubs. Marcy would never allow it, but she's less lovey in general. And that might change when she gets older.
A lot of cats do hate belly rubs. Allowing it goes against instinct. It takes a really tight bond between cat and human to get the opportunity.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has been a weird December when each morning temps when I leave for work are in the 30's, so I dress like Nanook of the North and when I leave for the day, it is almost 80s and I look ridiculous! I bet people think I'm homeless and am wearing everything I own!!!!! Did I mention, I'm so happy I have air conditioning in my car........

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure what happened to my previous posting but it didn't show up. Some very strange month I get ready to go to work at 6:30 in the morning and it's in the thirties so I'm dressed like Nanook of the North and then when I leave for the day I look like a fool because I'm dressed like it's in the thirties and here in California it's in the 80s. All I can say is thank goodness for air conditioning in the car or I wouldn't be able to make it home!!!!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I adopted now 13 year old Chamouti a little over a year ago and he has loved belly rubs from day one. He rolls over and if I don't rub his belly he grabs my hand, all along purring like mad. I do not know how he was treated before, I was told by the rescue that he had lived with 8 other cats and had to be given up because his mom moved to smaller quarters but who knows if that is true. He is a big very long-haired Maine Coon and a real cuddle-bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.