The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm debating applying to a different job. I like my job and I feel like I have a lot of freedom with it, but I also want to do something that actually makes a difference. There is a job working at a dog daycare/kennel that I am interested in. It includes helping foster dogs and teaching them to be better around other dogs so they can find new homes. Wouldn't make as much as I make now, but not too much less so it would just mean a bit less would go into savings than now. At the same time I've worked where I work now for four years ...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marcy is spending more time out in the open but I've noticed that all her movements seem very careful. I think she's still sore. Should I call the vet about maybe getting her some pain meds?
Just careful movement? No licking at her stitches or anything like that?

I'm feeling so much anxiety about the orientation at the shelter tomorrow. I don't know if I'll even go. I had a job before and that painful experience has left me scared. But I still want to do something with my life... Why is this so difficult?
It sounds a lot like PTSD. What kind of job did you have before, and how was the experience painful for you? What about the orientation reminds you of that experience? Is there a person you'll have to deal with who reminds you of an authority figure at your previous job, or is it just jobs in general that are worrying you?

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No licking that I've seen. Just careful movements. She's not wildly jumping Luke she used to. When I can get her to stand up for pets, I'm able to get a look at her stitches and they look fine. I checked them last night. She hates being picked up, so I just wait until I can sneak a peak without annoying her.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marcy is spending more time out in the open but I've noticed that all her movements seem very careful. I think she's still sore. Should I call the vet about maybe getting her some pain meds?
It would not hurt to ask for some pain meds. My cats were all feral and the vet gave them a pain shot when he did the surgery.
I took them to a low cost spray and neuter clinic just for feral cats in DC. The vet there did the surgery on the females right side instead of underneath on their stomach. He said they would heal faster and there would be less chance of infection. Especially if the cats were going back outside. They did fine. In a day or two they acted like nothing happened.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's still doing the slow, careful movements, I'll ask Monday. No one is open on Sunday. I didn't notice the first 2 days cuz she mostly slept and hid. But now she's getting on and off the couch and climbing to her favorite perch on the cat tree and she's doing it kind of gingerly. I know cats are experts at hiding pain and illness. And, I can't exactly ask her if she's hurting. Well, I guess I could, but I probably wouldn't understand her answer. If I ever meet a genie, I'm gonna ask to speak cat.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Just careful movement? No licking at her stitches or anything like that?

It sounds a lot like PTSD. What kind of job did you have before, and how was the experience painful for you? What about the orientation reminds you of that experience? Is there a person you'll have to deal with who reminds you of an authority figure at your previous job, or is it just jobs in general that are worrying you?

Margret
My first employer gave off racist vibes and she would nitpick with everything I did even though I thought I worked great and the other employees thought so too. The comanager was the same. If they didn't want me to know what they were talking about, they'd all talk in Italian. They'd often do this and watch from a distance. I felt really alone because I was far from home and far from my mom. It got to the point where it was so bad, I just stopped showing up for my shift. The manager also didn't train me to do anything. She just ordered me around and made me do inventory. I'm not antisocial or anything but if I get a certain energy from people, I avoid them.

I probably won't go now since my mom was supposed to drop me off but she has to work and she doesn't finish until late. I also have a lot of school work to do.

I just want to feel useful...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 , the problem I see is that you want her being a little bit more careful than usual while she still has stitches. Beyond that, I don't know. It's been a very long time since I had a newly spayed cat, and she was too busy with her kittens for that kind of behavior to be an issue. Trust everyone else on this over me.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily , please don't automatically expect everyone else to behave so rudely. If you aren't white and you live in the U.S. then yes, you are going to encounter racism in all areas of life, but if you also pre-judge people based on their skin color then you just enable the racists. A certain amount of caution is necessary, but you can seriously damage yourself if you allow fear to totally rule your life.

All that said, I suspect that helping out at a shelter is probably an ideal starting job for anyone who is a member of TCS. Also, shelters tend to be really hard up for staff. They're likely to be so grateful that you want the job that they'll be quite happy to train you and will want to keep you happy. I would recommend calling them and telling them that your mother was unable to get you there for your scheduled training and see whether you can re-schedule for a time when your mother will be free.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily , please don't automatically expect everyone else to behave so rudely. If you aren't white and you live in the U.S. then yes, you are going to encounter racism in all areas of life, but if you also pre-judge people based on their skin color then you just enable the racists. A certain amount of caution is necessary, but you can seriously damage yourself if you allow fear to totally rule your life.
This is excellent advice. I really hate to just say 'let it roll off of you', but that is exactly what you need to do. I went to school in the '70's, and being half Indian (Seminole, not India) it was not a fun experience.
People can be rude, but not everyone is. Don't become like them, and other than work or school, don't associate with them. It will actually make you a stronger person.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max went out the open front door yesterday and of all things Mouse (the other cat) finked on him! Apparently the door was not latched and a breeze opened the door ever so slowly, and you know a cat and curiosity, busted! I spanked his fuzzbutt and he was upset with me till he came over and fell asleep in my arms! Mouse has adopted him as her baby and she does not like the great outdoors, not one bit, good kitty!♡

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max went out the open front door yesterday and of all things Mouse (the other cat) finked on him! Apparently the door was not latched and a breeze opened the door ever so slowly, and you know a cat and curiosity, busted! I spanked his fuzzbutt and he was upset with me till he came over and fell asleep in my arms! Mouse has adopted him as her baby and she does not like the great outdoors, not one bit, good kitty!♡
:crackup: It sounds like Mouse has Max well in hand, er, paw. Good for her!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone just sent me this on FB. I cried my eyes out, even though if you watch it through to the end, it's not supposed to be sad.
Alicia88 Alicia88 - don't watch this..you're hormonal enough. lol

Oh, that is gorgeous! And you're right; Alicia88 Alicia88 should definitely wait a few months before watching this one, maybe next Christmas. If she were to watch it right now she'd probably run right out and adopt a puppy.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow, that's a lot of money. Cat food and litter aren't that expensive and it doesn't take that much time. Even if this person had been taking care of her, your brother was getting ripped off! I watched my friend's kitten for a week for free over the summer. Well, John scooped the litter, but he was already doing it for our furballs so it wasn't really any extra work.
I agree completely.

Someone just sent me this on FB. I cried my eyes out, even though if you watch it through to the end, it's not supposed to be sad.
Alicia88 Alicia88 - don't watch this..you're hormonal enough. lol

Looks like what could have happened with Rose, if they lived closer to us.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
An older dog is a good idea when you are able to adopt. I highly recommend it. Especially after going through the stressful journey of raising a puppy from 4 weeks of age. I barely survived. It's really not that fun and you need a crazy amount of patience. Very expensive and time consuming. Don't think I'd ever do it again. On top of that, she has an eating disorder... Or two. Coprophagia and pica. Both are very severe so she needs constant supervision wherever she goes. She also gets overexcited very easily and it's hard to calm her down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.