Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by artiemom, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arouetta

arouetta Slave of Bastet's acolytes Top Cat

Mar 31, 2016
    Spoiled cats would definitely work as an excuse, some woman at Target was buying tons of cat food and kitty litter, she said she had three. Yet she was easily buying three times the amount that I ever bought at one time for my three. (She also was a :censored:.)

For shipping, most online sites state the method of shipping when they offer shipping options, before you actually place the order.

Mamanyt1953 and dahli6 purraised this.

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    No, it comes UPS or FedEx. I work for USPS, and, yeah, I wouldn't want to do that to the mail carriers ;). But (and I tease the UPS/FedEx guys about this), it's OK for them to do it because they only deliver parcels and don't have to take letters and catalogs out too, lol. USPS prefers not to take the heavier parcels so I don't think clay litter would ever be shipped that way.

Some brands are cheaper online, some aren't. If it only costs a little more I'll still pay it for the convenience of having UPS dropping it on my doorstep instead of hauling it all over the place while I'm shopping. Currently I'm using Arm & Hammer Double Duty, it's only $13.55 for 40 pounds, from chewy (that's on Autoship; it's $14.26 without).

We don't have a local Petsmart, or any other store to support other than Walmart. And they don't stock well no matter who buys what :/. If I buy them out they just don't have any until the next shipment comes in. If there were a locally owned store to support I might support them. . .

3. dahli6

dahli6 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 16, 2016
    I simply haven't looked into the method for the litter I buy yet.

Margret purraised this.

4. dahli6

dahli6 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 16, 2016
    We don't have trash service. We have convenience centers. We stopped using clay because it was so heavy. OMG so heavy.
    I am still getting used to being able to use Fedex. They used to have trouble finding our house, usually leaving packages at the neighbor's house and once we found a package in the middle of the road. It was a fuel tank, bad form Fedex. Very bad form.

Mamanyt1953 and Margret purraised this.

5. Margret

Margret TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    I went to college in Northern California, near sea level, and when I moved back to Denver (the "Mile High City") I had some major problems with depression, until I found out I was anemic (altitude adjustment?) and started eating foods high in iron and cooking in an iron skillet.

Margret

6. arouetta

Mar 31, 2016
    Going to Denver would definitely cause anemia. The air is considerably thinner than sea level so you need more red blood cells to collect the same amount of oxygen. I grew up in some mountains that are not as high up as Denver. The rare times the football team went to a certain part of the state that was about 3000 feet lower, they had to re-inflate the footballs when they arrived. When those teams came to our area, they had to partially deflate their footballs before leaving to keep them from potentially splitting from being over pressurized, and they were warned they would be more winded than usual.

Margret purraised this.

7. arouetta

Mar 31, 2016

8. Alicia88

Alicia88 TCS Member Top Cat

May 25, 2016
    Kirksville, MO
    We order food and litter online all the time - miserly from Amazon but someone's from chewy if they're having a sale. I think it comes ups but I've never paid that much attention to the boxes.
    Just got back from the doctor. I've gained 3 pounds so the ensure must be working. Yay! And it seems that Murphy has separation anxiety. John is almost never home alone - he's either at work or goes with me whenever I leave but my appointment today was cutting it pretty close to when he had to be at work so we didn't chance it. Apparently Murphy wandered all over the apartment meowing sadly. I wasn't even gone that long!
    He didn't seem to do well when we went on our honeymoon, either. We were gone 2 nights and figured they'd be fine. We gave them extra food and they had their kitty fountain. When we got home, Murohy released this horrible smell. We did some googling and found out that cats have a scent gland they release when stressed. The smell was totally gone within about 10 minutes but it was awful. So, now I'm worried about how he'll deal when I'm in the hospital for 2 or 3 days when the baby comes. Yeah, John will be there at night but Murphy is a mama's boy.

9. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    Mine said Siamese. I'm guessing that was decided by my blue eyes and the fact that I yell when I'm angry.

Margret

10. arouetta

Mar 31, 2016
    Are you in the position for another cat? Shadow had a bad case of separation anxiety when we first got her, understandable since she clearly had a family she lost and wasn't confident we would come back. So my solution was to get her her own cat. And even though she didn't like him and protested the loss of being an only cat, it stopped her separation anxiety that very day.

Margret purraised this.

11. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I think alicia88 has 2 other cats, I suppose Murphy just wants his humans to entertain him!

Margret purraised this.

12. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    In late 1985 (I think) a friend and I visited Bend, Oregon, coming from Denver, for a computer conference that was being held at the college there. The college is near the top of the highest local hill, and all the walkways on campus are pretty vertical, so we were huffing and puffing up the stairs and someone else at the conference said "It's the altitude." We said, "You think? Do you happen to know what the altitude is here?" "Around 3500 feet, I think." "Oh. We're from Denver, and it isn't the altitude for us; we're just out of shape." :sigh: :lol:

Margret

foxxycat purraised this.

13. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    I've thought about getting one of that type, but...I find it just as easy to microwave my coffee to reheat. I do a pot every 3-4 days. 1 min, 45 sec and it is perfect.

Bless them, they don't tend to hold grudges. Not for long, at any rate!

OH GOD NO! One on Kitty Crack is bad enough!

Another member incapussitated.

It is very rare for that to happen here. This is one of the nicest group of people I've found on the net. It has really become a family for me.

I seem to be a Maine Coon. That suits me fine.

foxxycat, dahli6, Alicia88 and 1 other person purraised this.

14. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    I tend to make tea from two different kinds of tea bags, blended together, and I have a big mug to put it in. But the bags the green tea comes in aren't terribly absorbent, so they tend to float on top when I brew my tea in the microwave, so I put a couple of bags of green tea in the brewing basket (is that the right term?), a couple bags of the herbal tea I'm blending it with in the small cup that fits under the spout of the single cup tea maker, and run it. The green tea gets properly wet, because it's hot water dripping directly on the bags, the herbal tea has no problems, when it's done brewing I put it in my big mug and fill it the rest of the way with cold water and I'm good.

Yep! :lolup:

:yeah:

Margret

Mamanyt1953 and foxxycat purraised this.

15. Alicia88

May 25, 2016
    Kirksville, MO
    Actually, with the addition of Marcy, we have 4 cats. Connor and Murphy were litter mates and they still commonly snuggle together and groom each other. Mickey isn't much for snuggling the other cats, but they play together all the time. I caught Marcy snuggling Murphy the other day - of course she stopped as soon as I saw it - and she was grooming him once. So Murphy doesn't get lonely. He's just very attached to his mama. I think he's a very codependent kitty. Lol
    Maybe we should get some feliway. I wonder if that would help him. I'll have to order it online. I checked Wal Mart earlier and they don't carry it. We have a small pet store here but they're very overpriced.
    I took my grandma grocery shopping and picked some things up myself and now Murphy is all over me. You'd think I'd been gone a week instead of 2 hours! He's just the sweetest cat I've ever known. He's more of full of love and cuddles than any other animal or human I've ever known. I sometimes wonder if he's actually a small child trapped in a cat's body! Haha
    That picture is Murphy and Connor just a few days ago. My aunt said they were inseparable when she gave them to me. Nothing has changed.

Attached Files:

Mamanyt1953, foxxycat and Margret purraised this.

16. LotsOfFur

LotsOfFur What greater gift than the love of a cat. Top Cat

Jul 13, 2015
    Texas
    That's what my results were also! I'm good with it; love those huge, fluffy, gorgeous felines :agree:

17. Alicia88

May 25, 2016
    Kirksville, MO
    I just took the quiz. Apparently, I'm a Himalayan.

18. Blakeney Green

Blakeney Green TCS Member Super Cat

Sep 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    In my opinion hoarding is not about the number of animals, it's about the conditions they're kept in and how they are treated.

If the house is sanitary (not spotless or free of clutter, but a healthy living environment,) animals of reproductive age are spayed or neutered, the animals have food and water, vet care is provided, and the animals are getting individual attention and socialization, but you just have a ton of them - you are a person who is blessed with a large family, not a hoarder.

Hoarding is when the animals are not receiving adequate care or socialization, and that isn't the case for everyone who has a lot of pets, so I think it's important to avoid assuming.

Docs Mom, foxxycat, dahli6 and 2 others purraised this.

19. nansiludie

nansiludie TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 14, 2014
    I got Maine Coon as well. Funny as my very first cat was a rescued Maine Coon. :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953, Margret and LotsOfFur purraised this.

20. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    Excellent definition of the difference between hoarding and adopting a lot of animals. Thanks, @Blakeney Green.

Margret

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.