The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leg cramps are miserable. Just another brilliant aspect of pregnancy. It helps me if I stretch before I go to sleep and I try to take in a lot of potassium. If all that fails, I have to wake John up to massage the cramp out because it just won't stop and then my leg is sore for days. I'm also taking an extra magnesium supplement. The doctor told me to take it to help prevent my migraines, but it seems to do double duty and helps prevent leg cramps as well. Maybe you should try it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, they changed my cat litter formula. The reason I use clay is because it is not scented. Poor Onsa is wheezing and coughing like crazy. Didn't even know they changed it to 'new scented formula'.
My son is at the store now getting unscented. It was in small letters and I didn't even notice it. Poor baby. I feel so bad now.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People don't realize that not only is it hard to breathe at first, but the sun is brutal at these elevations.
I spent my whole life outside, riding my horses, tubing the river ect.. and never had a sunburn. Until I moved up here. Within a few weeks of moving up here I had a severe burn. I don't burn anymore, but just didn't think about it. I do still notice that the sun is a force to reckon with up here though.
Oh, yes. There's less atmosphere to attenuate it, and it's even worse when snow is on the ground because it's reflecting up at you as well. Sun screen is a must; long sleeves are very helpful, and I almost always wear a hat outdoors. And since my cataract surgery a few years ago I've found that I need two pairs of sun glasses!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leg cramps are miserable. Just another brilliant aspect of pregnancy. It helps me if I stretch before I go to sleep and I try to take in a lot of potassium. If all that fails, I have to wake John up to massage the cramp out because it just won't stop and then my leg is sore for days. I'm also taking an extra magnesium supplement. The doctor told me to take it to help prevent my migraines, but it seems to do double duty and helps prevent leg cramps as well. Maybe you should try it.
Thank you. I'll give that a try.

It was actually a foot cramp, but then the tendon on top of the foot tensed up, trying to pull the muscle out of its cramp, and things kind of went downhill from there. The last time this happened to me was after I had had to walk a couple of miles, mostly uphill, in hot weather, and I had rehydrated but forgotten to recharge my electrolytes (i.e. salt), but I knew that wasn't the problem this time. I could very well be low in magnesium and potassium.

Man, they changed my cat litter formula. The reason I use clay is because it is not scented. Poor Onsa is wheezing and coughing like crazy. Didn't even know they changed it to 'new scented formula'.
My son is at the store now getting unscented. It was in small letters and I didn't even notice it. Poor baby. I feel so bad now.
I'm at the point where I'm very careful with the labels on litter; Roger is allergic to scented litter and it's just so easy to miss that detail. There are several litters that I've considered trying and have given up on without ever buying because I couldn't find an unscented variety in the store.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm mildly hypoglycemic so I get pretty sick when my blood sugar gets too low. I have to keep snacks with me because if I don't eat something within 30 minutes of feeling hungry, I'll start getting lightheaded and nauseous. Easier to deal with than issues with high blood sugar, though. I just have an overactive pancreas that processes sugar too quickly and a high metabolism. It also makes it very difficult to put on weight while pregnant, apparently.
When I was in my early 20s, a long-time friend developed very sever hypoglycemia. She had to eat every four hours around the clock or risk actual hallucinations. Now, this did NOT have to be a full meal, a package of peanut butter crackers worked very well indeed.

The new cat looks very much like Bob. He responds to my voice but is still pretty scared. He is determined to have this property too.
Crossing my fingers that Bob is home! It isn't unheard of, to have them come back after that long.

The local independent grocery store across the street got their shipment of fresh holiday trees overnight:evergreen:. They're all displayed out front now. It smells soooo good but it's too early to buy trees and holiday decorations and stuff.
When I still had my condo in Tennessee, the Owner's Association set aside an acre of unused ground for planting live Christmas trees. We would sign up for a space in September, the yard crew would dig the holes in November, and on New Year's Day there would be a tree-planting ceremony. I really miss that.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really tired again tonight. I tried to take a nap this afternoon but one of the neighbors thought it would be funny to howl like a dog in the hallway. People are so weird. And annoying. I'm gonna try to stay up a little later - I don't want to wake up at a ridiculously early hour.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret someone told me to try seltzer water with Quinine. I didn't find it helped right away but a few hours later my leg cramps finally went away. The person who told me about this is a workout buff. Also can you eat sweet potatoes or bananas for potassium?
My dad was prescribed Quinine for leg cramps, and developed an allergy to it fairly quickly. Since he and I tended to have the same allergies I'm not inclined to go that direction.

Sweet potatoes, yes, cautiously because they are sweet. Bananas no. Not without major diabetes meds to counter the sugar. This applies even to green bananas I've found. Thank you for the suggestion, however.

I found some sweet potato bisque soup at Trader Joes that isn't too bad in the carbs department; maybe I'll make some of that up for myself before bed tonight.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crossing my fingers that Bob is home! It isn't unheard of, to have them come back after that long.
:yeah:

When I still had my condo in Tennessee, the Owner's Association set aside an acre of unused ground for planting live Christmas trees. We would sign up for a space in September, the yard crew would dig the holes in November, and on New Year's Day there would be a tree-planting ceremony. I really miss that.
That sounds really lovely; I understand why you would miss it.
* * * * * *​
Well, I just talked to my husband, and he suggested V8 Juice for magnesium and potassium. What we have on hand is actually Kroger brand vegetable juice, but I checked the label and an 8 ounce glass has a full day's supply of magnesium, though it's a little light on the potassium. It also has only about 10 grams of carbs, which shouldn't do anything too nasty to my blood sugar since I haven't had any other carbs today. Even so, I think maybe I'll just sleep in the living room tonight; I do not want a repeat of last night. :crossfingers:

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, buy one now and it'll be a firetrap by Christmas. There's no way that I've found to not have it dry completely out for an entire month or more.

A few years ago someone bought a fresh cut holiday tree. In October. Before Halloween. The huge box sat in the entryway, (not the lobby, just the outside entryway) for several weeks before ether he took it to his unit or management discarded it (and hopefully charged the resident a trash disposal fee and clean up fee because the box was slightly torn and dried out pine needles spilled out). No, the resident was not on vacation or something. It was the resident who was renting the unit acros the hall from me and every night I could hear the loud tv on or loud guests.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a bit pricy but sodium free beef and chicken broth bouillon has potassium in it, but I'm not sure how much.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a real tree. I'm allergic to trees. Actually, I'm allergic to pretty much everything you find outdoors: grass, trees, pollen, mold, dust. I still enjoy outdoor activities, though. Lol. But I think a tree inside would be more misery than I could handle. Plus, the cleanup sounds like a pain. I think fake trees work just fine.
I get my extra magnesium from a vitamin pill. You coukd probably get magnesium and potassium both in pill form. They're not that expensive and you won't have to worry about them causing issues with your diabetes. Also, nuts contain a lot of magnesium. I just googled potassium rich foods for you.

Attachments

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Easiest thing in the world. I've given a Convenia injection the vet sent home with us. The shelter hasn't had you do vaccinations yet? If you've done microchips, it's way easier than that.
No, I haven't done vaccinations yet. I started with microchips at the time I did because 1.) I do daily sub q fluids on one of my personal pets so I'm used to sticking a big needle under cat skin, and 2.) I happened to say "I want to train on microchips" at the exact moment someone was available to train me and we had chipping that needed to be done. ;)

I'm going to ask to learn vaccinations this week. I've always had the vet vaccinate my personal animals, but Toad is technically still a foster (I'm going to be adopting her) so hers are done at the shelter.

I'm insane enough that my round trip for work is 90 minutes. :) I didn't want Toad to stay at the shelter all day because we have a URI going around, so I took her in on my day off.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've vaccinated chickens, pigs,houses, cows, and puppies but never a cat. I don't imagine it would be much different than the rest, though. Well, except for the chickens. You just put drops on the noseholes in their beaks.
Off to Wal Mart in a few. I want to see about finding some sweatpants. I'm carrying high and my waist hasn't changed much so I can still wear my jeans, but they're a bit snug and sweatpants would be more comfortable. I also want to drag John to the baby section. We don't have much for him. A few clothes and a couple blankets, a car seat, bouncer, playpen, and maybe a bassinet. I'm going to nurse so bottles won't be necessary but diapers might be nice to have. Lol. My sister's last baby was a girl and she already got rid of the boys' itty bitty clothes but she's gonna give us everything she has starting at about 18 months. It felt like we had so much time and all of a sudden, we have less than 9 weeks to go and I'm starting to freak out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today Hekitty decided to leap onto the plastic bin with drawers that pretends to be a dresser that sits in my closet (good God, what a sentence!). She was off-balance, and the whole thing tilted forward. Now my clothes and the drawers are lying in a tangled heap in the bedroom, and I'm here, avoiding the issue. Somebody kick my behind and get me headed for the bedroom! Of course, with just Hekitty and me here, it becomes less imperative!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't go into your bedroom and stop thinking about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Lol
Wal Mart here has a terrible selection. Their sweatpants are either hideous or so thin, I might as well be wearing panty hose. I really wish we had other places to shop. Sometimes, small towns are a drag.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't go into your bedroom and stop thinking about it. Out of sight, out of mind. Lol
Wal Mart here has a terrible selection. Their sweatpants are either hideous or so thin, I might as well be wearing panty hose. I really wish we had other places to shop. Sometimes, small towns are a drag.
Yes, I dislike WM's sweats also... is there a Target near you? Mens sweats may be a bit better or since you are so tiny, boys sweats?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
What about the workout department? I got these casual jogger pants in walmart that I love.

I found them on their online site but took some hunting to find them. They don't say casual jogger on the item page...let me see if I can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.