The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been kinda worrying about Marcy's spay. It took so long for her to really warm up to us, I'm afraid ou'd betraying her tiny trust. I know it has to be done. I'm just afraid it'll cause us to have to earn her trust all over again.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a little nervous to post this but I promised to make updates on my "kitty corner". Yeah, corner. hehe
A month or so ago I bought a roll of used carpet from Habitat for Humanity Restore. Those places are amazing and they do fantastic work.
The carpet is in good shape but fairly small and it was $10. I waited for my son to move out so I could move the treadles into the spare room and open up the space to make an area for the cats. They do gravitate to the carpets and toys. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a child sized yard swing(like a porch swing but miniature)and maybe a slide too.
This is what I have today.
IMG_20171113_113426[1].jpg
IMG_20171113_113510[1].jpg

I post nervously because my house isn't nice. It needs a lot of work. 2 years ago we pulled up the living room carpet because it was too hard to maintain and we thought it would be easier to protect the OSB if we could see it. The kitchen linoleum needs to go but that floor will be a bit of a job so right now it looks kind of like.. ugh.
the cats seem happy with the new rug though. They set right to scratching it and rolling around on it and now I have a decent vacuum so keeping it tidy shouldn't be too hard.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
@MeganLLB Get your thyroid checked ASAP.

Alicia88 Alicia88 Could someone else do the physical transport? That way she doesn't associate you with a scary car ride and a scary place.

dahli6 dahli6 You really think we've never seen a fixer upper before? You think we haven't lived in fixer uppers before? For the linoleum I suggest vinyl tile. It feels like laminate, it's usually pretty cheap, it's peel and stick and therefore easy to install yourself. Get more than you need though, so that if a tile comes up or gets damaged you don't have to worry about matching it when you need to replace it. Especially since it could be years before anything needs replacing, which would make matching very difficult.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Alicia88 Alicia88 Could someone else do the physical transport? That way she doesn't associate you with a scary car ride and a scary place.

dahli6 dahli6 You really think we've never seen a fixer upper before? You think we haven't lived in fixer uppers before? For the linoleum I suggest vinyl tile. It feels like laminate, it's usually pretty cheap, it's peel and stick and therefore easy to install yourself. Get more than you need though, so that if a tile comes up or gets damaged you don't have to worry about matching it when you need to replace it. Especially since it could be years before anything needs replacing, which would make matching very difficult.
We got an amazing deal on several boxes of real hard wood flooring a few years back. $80 for the lot, brand new, enough to do the living room and the hallway. There are a couple of holes in the kitchen floor, all the way through, that the linoleum keeps covered so we actually have to repair the floor before we put down a covering. My husband also wants to move the kitchen to the front of the house so he is holding off on anything other than patches until my daughter moves out. That could be a while. He got a roll of linoleum when I got the rug we are trying to figure out where to use it. There are bad spots in the kitchen but it would also be good to place in the litter corner or in the Master bathroom. The Master bath is carpeted. I am utterly sick of it.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 Since you say through, I'm assuming particle board? My father used some kind of wood filler for damaged particle board before laying the replacement tile. But that wasn't a hole open to the crawlspace. If that's what you've got you can't avoid crawling in the crawlspace but you could likely use a patch piece with a support instead of replacing the entire flooring.

Alicia88 Alicia88 Talk to the vet about really good drugs for the trip in. If she's too sleepy or too high to realize she's going in, then coming out you should look like her savior to her as you are taking her away from the scary place.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, particle board. In some places the holes along the wall are a few inches long to a foot or just over. Here and there we screwed plywood over them until we can actually fix them. If cats were escaping or wild animals were coming in, possums.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The news paper said that the shipyard in Maine/NH is hiring 160 people. Tomorrow is a job fair. I have my resume on here-just need to tweak and print it out. I don't have any dress clothes that fit me. Just going to wear black jeans and my work boots. I doubt I will get hired as I haven't done the trades in a long time BUT hell got nothing to loose. Especially if this place isn't going to stay open after Feb...that's only 2 months away. The big wigs keep lying and say there is work but the truth is only 25K hours on the books for fiscal year 2018. That is a huge drop from 250K hours. Gulp.

Got my bike ride done in the rain today. I wasn't cold. In fact overheating...I think that my thyroid is all messed up. I am hot all the time but can't loose weight despite dieting and working out..next year the insurance gets much better. Will find a new primary care doc in January..only 6 weeks away. I can wait. Next year they have free blood work from one of the big name labs=which is big as I want several tests done. my thyroid. my hormones along with CBC and chem panel.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that chirping noise :cringe::angrywoman: The cats hate it too. The mice don't seem to care.
:lolup:

Maybe I'm just drinking far too much chilled beverages and I need to start drinking room temperature drinks.
In point of fact, you've gone a long way towards proving this hypothesis.

Since most people don't need to have multiple tissues tested for DNA there's really no telling how rare or common the syndrome is. So how many guilty people manage to get a pass from DNA testing because no one, including them, know they are carrying two sets of DNA?
It's a theory; I can't tell you how plausible it is, since we apparently don't have enough data. You may want to run it by a few defense attorneys.

Bigfoot! (again). Must be migration season or something :D.
By golly, I think you've got it! :flail:

Jeepers Creepers is on TV. I've only seen it once, forgotten most of it, but it's one of my favorite horror movies. It's a favorite because the cute girl who is the focus of the movie, a character that normally dies at the end of every horror movie, is the strong-willed survivor. The more typical horror movie that lets the main girl live, she's captive or you think she's dead but comes back for a sequel or other gruesome non-fatal fate. This movie, the chick is yelling at the monster as she chases after it at the end.

And my favorite scene in the movie is the two kids in the car, the girl in the driver's seat, they just hit the monster with the car and are looking at it lying on the road. The guy asks "Is it dead?" Typical horror movie, they'd agree it's dead and drive off. Nope, she states firmly "They never are." And then she puts the car in reverse and runs over it again, and then back into drive to run over it a third time, and back and forth until she breaks the axle.
Thanks for the review; I'll have to look for that movie. I normally just avoid anything that's labeled "horror."

:yeah:

The Master bath is carpeted. I am utterly sick of it.
Yech! I hate carpeted baths. Give me a nice, washable throw rug for the bathroom any day.

No, I don't know of anyone who could take her for us. :(
I don't know where you live, but if it's close to one of us someone here might be able to help you.

Alicia88 Alicia88 Talk to the vet about really good drugs for the trip in. If she's too sleepy or too high to realize she's going in, then coming out you should look like her savior to her as you are taking her away from the scary place.
Oh, yes. Excellent idea.

I am hot all the time but can't loose weight despite dieting and working out.
That sounds a heck of a lot like how menopause presents in some women.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't like horror movies, you will not like Jeepers Creepers. To summarize, some monster is taking body parts from and out of people. The mutilated bodies and the sometimes still alive but dying people were pretty graphic.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so lazy today. So lazy that I didn't open the brand new box of teabags when I wanted tea. I pulled them out, sighed, put them back and chose to measure out loose tea from an open box into my reusable K-cup to get a cup of tea. Which takes more effort? Why didn't I just open the stupid box of teabags?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't like horror movies, you will not like Jeepers Creepers. To summarize, some monster is taking body parts from and out of people. The mutilated bodies and the sometimes still alive but dying people were pretty graphic.
Thank you!

I am so lazy today. So lazy that I didn't open the brand new box of teabags when I wanted tea. I pulled them out, sighed, put them back and chose to measure out loose tea from an open box into my reusable K-cup to get a cup of tea. Which takes more effort? Why didn't I just open the stupid box of teabags?
There are two questions here, so:
  1. I don't know.
  2. See my answer to number one.
(Yes, I do know you meant at least the second question rhetorically.)

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, they were both rhetorical. Taking the time to find the teaspoon hidden in the drawer that has the loose tea, three bags of coffee, several Sodastream syrups and the tablespoon I use to measure coffee, and then carefully measuring a teaspoon's worth of loose tea into the K-cup and putting that into the Keurig (name brand K-cup means an extra step, blargh) took a lot longer and far more effort than opening a box, opening the inside foil, pulling out a teabag, closing and putting the box back up, lifting the top of the Keurig up and down to make it dispense hot water and then finally dropping the teabag in the hot water. But I was too lazy to do the latter and I didn't want another cup of peppermint tea so I did the former.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, stupid idea and it would probably need someone with an understanding of engineering to pull it off. But what about burying some pipes just underground that continuously circle hot water out and back into the house?
It isn't stupid, in fact, it is rather brilliant. It won't work for my situation, but I'm keeping it in mind if things change!

I knew it had been done professionally with concrete. I just don't know about an amateur jury-rigging it.

As far as the former, I can't help Mamanyt1953. For the latter, if it could be piping screwed into an existing set of pipes, like how you screw on a shower head with a hose onto the shower piping, it could be explained as trying to keep some warmth near the wall so pipes running in that area don't freeze.
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, which is why it won't work. They'd go bugnuts immediately! If I ever manage to be in a house again, I am keeping that in mind!

because the mother developed a very real, paranoid delusion that the baby was trying to murder her before it was born.)
That is so very sad, but kinda understandable. That experience, combined with a post-partum issue could certainly trigger that delusion.

On top of that it makes an odd clicking noise when I force it to move--it doesn't hurt, not really, but for some reason the sound just ticks me off.
Of course it does. That's your subconscious saying, "HEY...SOMETHING HERE IS WRONG!"

It's recommended to change smoke and CO2 detectors every 10 years. There's a manufacture date on the back of the detector so you know when approximately you need to change the detector
One of the few really good things about living in an RD subsidized apartment complex is that HUD requires things like that to be done!

The room is 73 degrees. I checked my temperature, 97.7, so no fever. And just like every day for a month or two I'm cold. Very cold.
I do that every time we change seasons, from spring/summer to winter/fall, and then the opposite on the other side of the year. That's also when my vertigo kicks in the worst.

I post nervously because my house isn't nice.
Trust me, we are far more interested in the wonderful things you are doing for your kitties!

For the linoleum I suggest vinyl tile. It feels like laminate, it's usually pretty cheap, it's peel and stick and therefore easy to install yourself.
OH, yes. You can get some quite pretty ones for around $1 a square foot, some that even look like hardwood flooring planks! And if you put down a coat of Kilz primer on the floor, those tiles will stay in place forever!

Tomorrow is a job fair.
000000000000000.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, they were both rhetorical. Taking the time to find the teaspoon hidden in the drawer that has the loose tea, three bags of coffee, several Sodastream syrups and the tablespoon I use to measure coffee, and then carefully measuring a teaspoon's worth of loose tea into the K-cup and putting that into the Keurig (name brand K-cup means an extra step, blargh) took a lot longer and far more effort than opening a box, opening the inside foil, pulling out a teabag, closing and putting the box back up, lifting the top of the Keurig up and down to make it dispense hot water and then finally dropping the teabag in the hot water. But I was too lazy to do the latter and I didn't want another cup of peppermint tea so I did the former.
Ah, it was the peppermint that was the driving force!

I don't use Keurig -- too expensive -- so I don't know a lot about it. I do have a very old Black & Decker single cup coffee and/or tea maker, but I don't use it for much except (occasionally) making a little bit of hot water. Originally I bought it for loose tea, but I don't use that much anymore, either.

Margret

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, particle board. In some places the holes along the wall are a few inches long to a foot or just over. Here and there we screwed plywood over them until we can actually fix them. If cats were escaping or wild animals were coming in, possums.
Your house if fine. Don't worry about it. You are lucky you and your husband can do the work. My house needs new floors and paint but I can't do it myself.

I'm just curious. How many cats do you have?

Ellen

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet's office. They won't let me drug her before bringing her in. They said they just don't do that. Hopefully she'll get over it quickly and not hate us forever.
In that case, resort to bribery. "Cats who get spayed get lots of treats and snuggles afterwards, because they're such good kitties!" (Make sure the treats are healthy, of course -- no Kitty Crack/Temptations.)

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, it was the peppermint that was the driving force!

I don't use Keurig -- too expensive -- so I don't know a lot about it. I do have a very old Black & Decker single cup coffee and/or tea maker, but I don't use it for much except (occasionally) making a little bit of hot water. Originally I bought it for loose tea, but I don't use that much anymore, either.

Margret
The Keurig machine itself is expensive. That's why it was put on my Christmas list. There's some other brands that use the same pod setup, a couple are less than $30 but I don't know how well they work.

The stupid little pods are expensive as gold-dipped crap. The way around that though is a reusable pod. I get the metal mesh ones. The $5 one I got at Walmart lasted a year before the mesh started rusting and I had to toss it. The current one is Keurig brand, because it and the off-brand one at Target are both $15 and Cartwheel had the entire Keurig brand for 20% one week. There's a second reusable type, a plastic frame with disposable filters, but I don't want to have to buy a pack of filters all the time, even though it's $5 for 50 filters. However some people swear there's a metallic taste with the mesh ones, so they would probably go for that style.

If you drink a lot of coffee or tea on a regular basis, the Keurig is not for you. If you are like me where you only want a cup now and then, and even when you want a lot of hot drinks you are bouncing between what you are drinking, then it's for you. With a regular coffee pot I'd have one or two cups and then have to dump the rest of the coffee because it was cold. Too wasteful. The Keurig, I can get hot water in seconds for steeping any of the 5 or 6 different teas I have in the house, I can put in one of the two loose teas and not have to worry about steeping, or I can put in any of the three different flavors of coffee I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.