The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness, I'm exhausted. I didn't make it home in time for John to take the car to work and he walked. I don't want him walking home in the cold and dark at midnight - plus it's been kinda misty out - so I'm fighting sleep until it's time to pick him up. Found the new Beauty and the Beast on Netflix. I adored it so I'm watching the first half. I'll finish it tomorrow.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to Denver would definitely cause anemia. The air is considerably thinner than sea level so you need more red blood cells to collect the same amount of oxygen. I grew up in some mountains that are not as high up as Denver. The rare times the football team went to a certain part of the state that was about 3000 feet lower, they had to re-inflate the footballs when they arrived. When those teams came to our area, they had to partially deflate their footballs before leaving to keep them from potentially splitting from being over pressurized, and they were warned they would be more winded than usual.
I lived in Phoenix for 38 years - an altitude of about 1,086 ft. When I moved up here to the mountains- an altitude of 5700 ft. and the neighboring town of 6200 ft. it took me months to adjust.

I had to do a turnaround trip today to Phx, and when I got back up here, I'm not feeling too good. My heart was pounding, I could feel my BP rise, dizzy and light headed and my chest was hurting. I'm feeling much better now. It could have been going from high to low and back to high altitudes. Either that or I had a stroke, which I'm sure it wasn't. (I'm still light headed, but everything else is back to normal)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was living in California, I got into a very abusive relationship. He nearly killed me, and I called the cops and ran - after I was released from the hospital. I found a space at a DV shelter in Big Bear. On top of a mountain. The altitude and thin air had me really messed up. I was there for about 2 months before my mom got the money together to buy me a plane ticket home to Missouri. I was just starting to get used to it when I left. I was lightheaded a lot, short of breath, constantly exhausted. I would have been concerned if they hadn't warned me that all of that would happen when I arrived. A rapid change to a high altitude really messes with you.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They told me that my blood would gradually thicken to make my body more suited to the altitude. If you left for a while, you're blood might have thinned out and had to thicken up again. I'm not a doctor - just making an educated guess.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They told me that my blood would gradually thicken to make my body more suited to the altitude. If you left for a while, you're blood might have thinned out and had to thicken up again. I'm not a doctor - just making an educated guess.
And a very good one at that.
I just had a big glass of rich eggnog and I feel a bunch better. I just realized that all I ate today was a tiny 2" mini sub and one fry (12 hours ago). I just am not hungry. So, probably my blood sugar was low. I'm still not hungry though. I'll eat something tomorrow.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm mildly hypoglycemic so I get pretty sick when my blood sugar gets too low. I have to keep snacks with me because if I don't eat something within 30 minutes of feeling hungry, I'll start getting lightheaded and nauseous. Easier to deal with than issues with high blood sugar, though. I just have an overactive pancreas that processes sugar too quickly and a high metabolism. It also makes it very difficult to put on weight while pregnant, apparently.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had your problem. I eat one helping of dinner, and that's usually it all day. My metabolism has come pretty close to shutting down (although the thyroid meds have it under control). I could stand to lose about 30 lbs. It doesn't matter how much I exercise, I just don't lose the weight.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is very rare for that to happen here. This is one of the nicest group of people I've found on the net.
I have come to realize this but I am still very careful. I saw a post where a person abused another person who was asking for help and an Administrator came to the defense of the poster. That made me really happy.
I know nothing is perfect and sometimes there will be unreasonable people but at least it is a place where a person can safely ask a question.

I just realized that all I ate today was a tiny 2" mini sub and one fry (12 hours ago). I just am not hungry.
I can relate. So much.

On a personal note there is a new cat hanging around the yard but he might not be a stranger.
bob3.jpg

This is Bob Hoopla. He disappeared in the spring of 2015 at the age of 4 years old.

bob.jpg

Wasn't he a cute baby?(December 2011)
Bob was my best pal. During a time when we were trying to curb breeding(we were unable to afford a neuter or a dozen neuters)we allowed the males out of the house. They came inside to eat and when the weather was bad.
Bob had only disappeared once before, in 2013, he came home with a broken leg the very same week that I broke my leg. At that time he came home weak and hungry, the break and other injuries(hit by a car)were a couple of days old.
He was very devoted. When he disappeared I waited weeks for him to come home, expecting him to be sick or injured but he never turned up.
Until now... I think.
I never really give up. When I was a kid I had 2 cats who returned to me after years of separation. One was a tom who had left on his own and returned on the day we moved from our house, The other was a female that my dad dumped in the desert wilderness of Eastern Oregon. 2 years later she walked up to me as I was talking on a pay phone.
Recently my neighbor's youngest son told me that his dad used to capture the cats that were running loose outside and he would release them somewhere else far away from where we lived. He stopped doing it because they always came back.
The new cat looks very much like Bob. He responds to my voice but is still pretty scared. He is determined to have this property too. The big black cat who took up residence here last spring is looking pretty well chewed and beaten.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've read, you're pretty much right. Not thicken as in taking a consistency of molasses, but your marrow starts producing a lot more red blood cells so there ends up being a lot more red blood cells in the same volume of blood.

I think the blood loses the extra red blood cells pretty quickly when the air thickens up and oxygen is more plentiful. Look at babies. While in the womb they don't get a lot of oxygen so they have a crazy amount of red blood cells. Whey they are born they are all of a sudden exposed to a lot of oxygen and don't need all the extra red blood cells. So the extra are broken down so fast they can't quite metabolize it fast enough and end up with newborn jaundice.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief, I think pregnancy hormones are making me crazy. I found the new Beauty and the Beast on Netflix. I already saw it when it was in theaters and we all know how the story goes. Even the youngest children know how it ends. I still bawled my eyes out when the Beast died. I knew he wasn't really dead and I knew it had a happy ending. Didn't seem to matter. I cried all the way to the end credits.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The strange thing is that I never had any obvious altitude sickness after moving back to Denver after a year in California; no shortness of breath or anything like that. The only obvious symptom was depression, and then I got the anemia diagnosis.

I was once on top of Pikes Peak, near Colorado Springs. Altitude 14,115 feet. (It was a trek to the summit of Pikes Peak that inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write the poem that became the lyrics of "America the Beautiful.") I don't care if you are acclimatized to Denver's altitude, you're going to be short of breath at over 14,000 feet, and I was, so I went into the little café to sit at the counter, get a snack, and catch my breath. An elderly woman sat down next to me and commented about how hard it was to breathe at this altitude, and our waitress (who appeared to be a high school student hired for the summer, which is the only time the road to the summit is open) commented that you get used to it fairly quickly -- it only took her a week or two. I asked the woman where she was from, and she said Los Angeles, i.e. sea level. Then I asked the girl where she was from, being pretty sure I already knew the answer. Sure enough, Colorado Springs, altitude approximately 6,000 feet. I pointed out that, in the first place neither one of us was going to be here a week or two to acclimatize, and that it takes a person from sea level a lot longer to acclimatize to over 14,000 feet that it takes a person from 6,000 feet. A week or two might do it for me, since I'm from the Denver area (still lower than Colorado Springs) but not only wouldn't it be long enough for a person from sea level, it might actually be dangerous for her to try without first acclimatizing to the high planes at the foot of the Rockies. (And I thought, but did not say, "especially at her age.") Then I told the woman that it was very important to make sure she exhaled fully with each breath and that she needed to drink plenty of water the entire time she was visiting Colorado, since dehydration is a common problem for lowlanders who come here.
* * * * * *​
:censored: I'm so tired today. I woke up at around 6:30 (I think) with my foot cramping up horribly. I finally got it to stop so I could go back to bed, only to be re-awakened an hour later by more foot cramps! It was so early that Jasmine wasn't even interested in breakfast yet, just sleeping. And now I'm afraid to try to go back to bed again; the muscles in that foot are already sore from the earlier incidents. And I'm cold. Wearing a warm sweater, polar fleece pants, and long socks, but my metabolism just isn't ready to be awake. I think I'd better take a hot shower. It would at least warm me up, and maybe it will soothe those muscles enough to make it safe to nap. Or maybe I should pull a couple of blankets off the bed and bring those and my neck pillow and sleep mask out here to the living room so I can nap sitting up, with proper support under the feet... Yes, that ought to do it, especially if I microwave my rice pad to put under my feet. :crossfingers:

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember the pre-running exercises they taught in school? There's one where you stand far back and then lean against the wall so your ankle is bent really far when you keep your foot flat while bending the front of your lower leg as far forward and low as you can. That one stretches the tendon anchoring your calf muscle to your ankle really well, which relieves a lot of tension when that muscle is cramped up.

Also I had a horrible calf muscle cramp once in the middle of the day and I sat stretched out on the couch with a heating pad against that muscle for a few hours. The heat made the muscle relax and I felt very little pain by bedtime and the next day there was no issue at all with that leg.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The local independent grocery store across the street got their shipment of fresh holiday trees overnight:evergreen:. They're all displayed out front now. It smells soooo good but it's too early to buy trees and holiday decorations and stuff.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The local independent grocery store across the street got their shipment of fresh holiday trees overnight:evergreen:. They're all displayed out front now. It smells soooo good but it's too early to buy trees and holiday decorations and stuff.
Yeah, buy one now and it'll be a firetrap by Christmas. There's no way that I've found to not have it dry completely out for an entire month or more.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Margret Margret someone told me to try seltzer water with Quinine. I didn't find it helped right away but a few hours later my leg cramps finally went away. The person who told me about this is a workout buff. Also can you eat sweet potatoes or bananas for potassium?

Busy day at work, rumors, changes and still no word on how big layoff will be next spring but I suspect it will be in December...so it's wait and see.

Going to a booksale to buy more books for my booth-seems there's been an increase in wanting books-more folks not satisfied with ebooks...yay for me! And Got some money set aside to go crazy-as long as I have buyers to pay the return price-I don't mind buying. The biggest seller are those extra long paperback suspense novels-the least selling author? Tom Clancy. The most sold? Steven king and Nora Roberts.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't wait for tomorrow night! A local Mexican restaurant hosts a Tequila Tasting Dinner 3-4 times a year. It features a special 5-course menu with a different tequila-based drink for each course. And they have bottles of the featured tequilas out so you can sample them throughout the night. It's always a great time! :bunnydance:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The strange thing is that I never had any obvious altitude sickness after moving back to Denver after a year in California; no shortness of breath or anything like that. The only obvious symptom was depression, and then I got the anemia diagnosis.

I was once on top of Pikes Peak, near Colorado Springs. Altitude 14,115 feet. (It was a trek to the summit of Pikes Peak that inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write the poem that became the lyrics of "America the Beautiful.") I don't care if you are acclimatized to Denver's altitude, you're going to be short of breath at over 14,000 feet, and I was, so I went into the little café to sit at the counter, get a snack, and catch my breath. An elderly woman sat down next to me and commented about how hard it was to breathe at this altitude, and our waitress (who appeared to be a high school student hired for the summer, which is the only time the road to the summit is open) commented that you get used to it fairly quickly -- it only took her a week or two. I asked the woman where she was from, and she said Los Angeles, i.e. sea level. Then I asked the girl where she was from, being pretty sure I already knew the answer. Sure enough, Colorado Springs, altitude approximately 6,000 feet. I pointed out that, in the first place neither one of us was going to be here a week or two to acclimatize, and that it takes a person from sea level a lot longer to acclimatize to over 14,000 feet that it takes a person from 6,000 feet. A week or two might do it for me, since I'm from the Denver area (still lower than Colorado Springs) but not only wouldn't it be long enough for a person from sea level, it might actually be dangerous for her to try without first acclimatizing to the high planes at the foot of the Rockies. (And I thought, but did not say, "especially at her age.") Then I told the woman that it was very important to make sure she exhaled fully with each breath and that she needed to drink plenty of water the entire time she was visiting Colorado, since dehydration is a common problem for lowlanders who come here.
* * * * * *​
:censored: I'm so tired today. I woke up at around 6:30 (I think) with my foot cramping up horribly. I finally got it to stop so I could go back to bed, only to be re-awakened an hour later by more foot cramps! It was so early that Jasmine wasn't even interested in breakfast yet, just sleeping. And now I'm afraid to try to go back to bed again; the muscles in that foot are already sore from the earlier incidents. And I'm cold. Wearing a warm sweater, polar fleece pants, and long socks, but my metabolism just isn't ready to be awake. I think I'd better take a hot shower. It would at least warm me up, and maybe it will soothe those muscles enough to make it safe to nap. Or maybe I should pull a couple of blankets off the bed and bring those and my neck pillow and sleep mask out here to the living room so I can nap sitting up, with proper support under the feet... Yes, that ought to do it, especially if I microwave my rice pad to put under my feet. :crossfingers:

Margret
People don't realize that not only is it hard to breathe at first, but the sun is brutal at these elevations.
I spent my whole life outside, riding my horses, tubing the river ect.. and never had a sunburn. Until I moved up here. Within a few weeks of moving up here I had a severe burn. I don't burn anymore, but just didn't think about it. I do still notice that the sun is a force to reckon with up here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.