The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Master bath is carpeted.
I will never understand why people put carpet in a bathroom or other high traffic messy area :headshake: My great aunt and uncle had carpet in their bathroom and kitchen for years. Off-white carpet, too. By the time their daughter sold their condo unit, the carpet was horribly dingy and stained and the floor under the carpet in the bathroom was rotted and moldy especially around the toilet.

My new detectors are in :woohoo: Well, two of them anyways. It turns out that I don't have 2 smoke and 1 CO2. I actually have 2 CO2 and 1 smoke:rolleyes:. The malfunctioning one is a CO2. The maintenance person replaced that one and the smoke one in the hallway. They're from 2007. The bedroom one is a CO2. The maintenance person took a look at it and it has a date of 2012 so it's technically still good but I'd like to replace it anyways to keep it on the same replacement schedule as the other two detectors. So the extra smoke detector is going back to Amazon and will be replaced with another CO2 one. I'll give the maintenance person a call when it comes in so he can replace it.

The cats and I can now sleep at night without fear of a sudden ear piercing chirp:bliss::sleep2:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your house if fine. Don't worry about it. You are lucky you and your husband can do the work. My house needs new floors and paint but I can't do it myself.

I'm just curious. How many cats do you have?

Ellen
I am not really sure. I was embarrassed by the number for a while so I blanked it out but when PAWS didn't give a rip how many we have as long as they are healthy I got braver.
They are Bitty, Happy, Green Bean, Bellamy, Purple, Lovie, Luvvie, Louffa, Gesso, Bingo, Rabbit, Babbie, Cubby, Bear, Crunch, Munch, Omen, Dude, Diva, Tux, Polly, Al, Meow, Mei Mei, Jeep and 7 kittens; 4 or 5 of which will be going to shelter on the 21st.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
So....

The depression is worse. I'm actually sad now, and I couldn't even summon the energy to go to work a couple of days. I'm now on FMLA leave, since I'm useless at work. The irony of it all. I could be productive in folding and hanging clothes and handling baby items with my arm in a sling, but I can't be with my brain chemicals all funky. It's hit hard, the one time I've been to work since for grocery shopping, I cried in the parking lot after. I've been on FMLA before for mental health issues, but that was "as needed" so I actually couldn't make myself work only a few days.

I'm at home now, two days so far, and I'm making myself do stuff. Yesterday though I didn't go to the fitness center to keep myself in shape nor did I look for a channel with exercise videos to follow. I won't be going to the fitness center today either, I already know it. But my kitchen and bathrooms are nearly sparkling clean, and I did all my home exercises.

Speaking of cleaning, I have found the greatest stuff for cat puke/hairballs and for the visual cleanup part of poop/pee. I store my bike in the dining room and it made a mess of the carpet. The smaller stains might have been tire rubber but the big one was definitely dirty oil from the bike chain. I used Spot Shot on them and my carpet is clean. Even the huge oil stain is completely gone. One warning if any of you try it - it says on the can to finish cleaning with a white cloth. Make sure it's white. I was smart for once and did so, and while I can't see a difference in the carpet even where it's been used more than once, the white shirts I use have some of the carpet dye on them which bleach can't get out. I hate to think what would have happened if I had used a brightly colored cloth and that dye was transferred onto the carpet.

I know they say you can't catch colds from being wet, but I gotta wonder. One of the last days at work it was 40 degrees, wind chill made it feel like 34 degrees and it was pouring rain. I was soaked from head to toe going to work. I actually did wring out a sock and I had enough water in my sweats that I could have wrung those out too. About two hours after starting work my throat was sore and my sinuses were running. I'm still sick which probably isn't helping my mental state.

I'm so cold all the time now. If I weren't losing weight so easily I'd think I have thyroid problems. I'm getting bloodwork tomorrow, TSH is on the prescription. It's definitely a wise thing to check because of the depression, and because of personal and family history. I have an abnormally enlarged thyroid though it's always functioned just fine. Then again I've also only recently switched back to regular salt after a couple of years of sea salt, so I hope the reduced iodine intake didn't cause problems. My grandmother had horrible thyroid problems, to the point where they decided to destroy the whole thing and put her on synthroid for life. Note: If they have to get rid of your thyroid and they give you a choice between surgical removal or radiation treatment, choose the surgery. My grandmother chose radiation and was so miserable she wished she had done surgical removal instead.

Oh, and about the weight loss, Halloween made me gain 6 pounds really suddenly, in a week. I didn't think I ate that much candy. I've already lost 3 of those pounds though. I thought at first it was a fluke, I can vary by up to 3 pounds a day, but not with the way the scale is going down. I really hope I don't gain a lot of weight during the leave. I guess some is unavoidable though, unless I get the energy to go to the fitness center or starve myself.

And, starving, for some reason I've been craving carbs like no tomorrow. Maybe my body needs quick energy? For a week and a half now I've been surviving on potatoes and ice cream. No, not at the same time. Yesterday I'm pretty sure the only protein I had was 2 ounces of cheddar cheese. Today I made myself eat eggs.

I've given up on the shoulder ever being pain-free. The PT is confused by the fact that pain is still present. And not just pain, he and his assistant can feel the inflammation in both the tendon and the muscle it's connected to. It does need strengthening though, to prevent other problems from cropping up. After all, there's plenty more tendons, ligaments, muscles and bones in there to screw up. So I'm continuing PT, for that reason, even if it isn't going to make the pain go away.

Aspirin was helping, I figured it would be the best choice because it takes such a tiny dose to reduce inflammation in blood vessels all day. But no more aspirin. My psych is putting me on lithium and he doesn't want to overtax my kidneys.

Years ago my husband and I had been given Magic the Gathering cards. I'm going to find someplace local where someone can teach me. I have to get out of the house during this leave time, I have to have social contact. But first I'm organizing them. They are like baseball cards, some actually have serious money value. Last thing I want is to have a $1000 card and not realize it and someone else fast-talking me into trading it for a different worthless one.

Midway is a freaking alarm clock, he's always yowling within minutes of 7am. I don't know what it is, but at 7am he wants everyone up. When one of us gives up and gets up, he runs fast downstairs. And there's still food in his bowl from the evening feeding, so it's not that, though he will grab three or so bites before entwining himself around your feet. Last night I went to bed very early to see the doctor early this morning (an hour and a half away) and Midway apparently felt I went to bed too soon and didn't give him enough attention because he started yowling at 11pm. He's lucky he looks cute when sleeping because murder was definitely on my mind after a half an hour of yowling last night.

Murder. Today the psych asked if I felt suicidal, I said no. I'm old enough to know that it will eventually go away, I'll cycle upwards. He asked if I felt homicidal. I said I don't have the energy for that.

Sigh. Time to quit stalling and do my PT exercises. And vacuum upstairs. And the actual stairs. And maybe find an exercise channel. And maybe some Dayquil for the sore throat and stuffed nose.
You may also be having some problems with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Mine comes on about this time of year. The doctor told me to get daylight bulbs for the house to simulate sunlight. It does help, but getting out in the real sunlight does better. I found those lights make it easier to read, too.

Hang tough. This will pass and things will be better. I promise.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
:lolup:

In point of fact, you've gone a long way towards proving this hypothesis.

It's a theory; I can't tell you how plausible it is, since we apparently don't have enough data. You may want to run it by a few defense attorneys.

By golly, I think you've got it! :flail:

Thanks for the review; I'll have to look for that movie. I normally just avoid anything that's labeled "horror."

:yeah:

Yech! I hate carpeted baths. Give me a nice, washable throw rug for the bathroom any day.
I wonder whoever dreamt up the idea of putting carpet into a bathroom, how unsanitary! In some European and Asian countries there is a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor so you can just slosh a lot of water onto the floor to get it clean and the water just drains down that place in the floor. Some also instead of using toilet paper have a hose attached to the wall you can use to wash your nether parts and to hose down the floor. Now that's REALLY clean.

I don't know where you live, but if it's close to one of us someone here might be able to help you.

Oh, yes. Excellent idea.

That sounds a heck of a lot like how menopause presents in some women.

Margret
The Keurig machine itself is expensive. That's why it was put on my Christmas list. There's some other brands that use the same pod setup, a couple are less than $30 but I don't know how well they work.

The stupid little pods are expensive as gold-dipped crap. The way around that though is a reusable pod. I get the metal mesh ones. The $5 one I got at Walmart lasted a year before the mesh started rusting and I had to toss it. The current one is Keurig brand, because it and the off-brand one at Target are both $15 and Cartwheel had the entire Keurig brand for 20% one week. There's a second reusable type, a plastic frame with disposable filters, but I don't want to have to buy a pack of filters all the time, even though it's $5 for 50 filters. However some people swear there's a metallic taste with the mesh ones, so they would probably go for that style.

If you drink a lot of coffee or tea on a regular basis, the Keurig is not for you. If you are like me where you only want a cup now and then, and even when you want a lot of hot drinks you are bouncing between what you are drinking, then it's for you. With a regular coffee pot I'd have one or two cups and then have to dump the rest of the coffee because it was cold. Too wasteful. The Keurig, I can get hot water in seconds for steeping any of the 5 or 6 different teas I have in the house, I can put in one of the two loose teas and not have to worry about steeping, or I can put in any of the three different flavors of coffee I've got.
The Keurig machine itself is expensive. That's why it was put on my Christmas list. There's some other brands that use the same pod setup, a couple are less than $30 but I don't know how well they work.

The stupid little pods are expensive as gold-dipped crap. The way around that though is a reusable pod. I get the metal mesh ones. The $5 one I got at Walmart lasted a year before the mesh started rusting and I had to toss it. The current one is Keurig brand, because it and the off-brand one at Target are both $15 and Cartwheel had the entire Keurig brand for 20% one week. There's a second reusable type, a plastic frame with disposable filters, but I don't want to have to buy a pack of filters all the time, even though it's $5 for 50 filters. However some people swear there's a metallic taste with the mesh ones, so they would probably go for that style.

If you drink a lot of coffee or tea on a regular basis, the Keurig is not for you. If you are like me where you only want a cup now and then, and even when you want a lot of hot drinks you are bouncing between what you are drinking, then it's for you. With a regular coffee pot I'd have one or two cups and then have to dump the rest of the coffee because it was cold. Too wasteful. The Keurig, I can get hot water in seconds for steeping any of the 5 or 6 different teas I have in the house, I can put in one of the two loose teas and not have to worry about steeping, or I can put in any of the three different flavors of coffee I've got.

Just get a French press, really good for just one or two cups of tea or coffee.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't have temptations here, anyway. They make Connor puke.
Our coffee broke several months ago and we had to replace it. We splurged on this off brand coffee pot that can switch back and forth from a full pot to using k cups and it came with a filter that you can use to make a single cup without buying the pods. It was around $80, I think. We like it.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really sure. I was embarrassed by the number for a while so I blanked it out but when PAWS didn't give a rip how many we have as long as they are healthy I got braver.
They are Bitty, Happy, Green Bean, Bellamy, Purple, Lovie, Luvvie, Louffa, Gesso, Bingo, Rabbit, Babbie, Cubby, Bear, Crunch, Munch, Omen, Dude, Diva, Tux, Polly, Al, Meow, Mei Mei, Jeep and 7 kittens; 4 or 5 of which will be going to shelter on the 21st.
I think you would be considered a hoarder unless you have a set-up like Norachan Norachan in Japan has. With this many cats aren't you supposed to have a kennel license?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you've got me beat! I have 22 indoors. Dakota, Petunia, Tugger, Mamacat, Tippy, Patch, Nacho, Jellybean, Dot, Curtis, Callie, Bunny, Foxy, Pixie, Bosco, Tabbs, Rocco, Badger, Hazel, Onyx, Jasper, and Moxie. And the farmcats who go back and forth between my house and the neighbors. But they're all fixed so no kittens, thankfully! That's the last thing I need. . .

How did you end up with Lovie and Luvvie? And how do you tell the difference, lol?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've got me beat too dahli6 dahli6 25 plus 7 kittens!?

:thud:

I have 22 plus four foster kittens at the moment. As long as your cats are all fixed and there won't be any more kittens it's probably manageable. Are the cats all indoors only? Does your city have a limit on how many pets you can have?

I honestly don't think I could cope with this many cats if they didn't have their big enclosure. Some of the boys are really high energy, they need to go out and let off steam or they'd completely trash the house.

o_O

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm over the Keurig. DD is going to inherit it when she moves out. I won't miss it. :wave2:

I have a 5 cup Black & Decker coffeemaker that I just got because my Hello Kitty pot broke. :bawling: :ohwell: :sigh:

I agree about the pods being expensive and IMO, the coffee is little better than instant and instant is the worst. I have tried different kinds and wasn't impressed. I have a French press on my Amazon wish list. :agree:

I think I will order that when the Keurig moves out with DD. I might even put it on the same order as the new cat tree that's going in DD's room after it's empty. It will be their new playroom. :anticipation::dancingblackcat::dancingblackcat:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
W Willowy living out in the country, I can imagine that many of those cats FOUND YOU. You didn't go looking (hoarding). Thats what has happened with us.... I just wish we could get a catio FINISHED! DH says it is HIS project, I just get to add to the inside, which I haven't finished either..:paperbag:

As long as they are healthy and happy !
It is kind of embarassing when I go get cat litter & food. That's people's first question and I am really good at changing the subject. ;)

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With this many cats aren't you supposed to have a kennel license?
I live outside of city limits so even if there were technically they could not use it against me.
Ugh, that word, hoarder. Hoarders are mentally ill and the illness itself seems to paint people in a really bad light. The truth of it is that my locality is recovering from a very poor animal control history. Though technically hoarders we are only guilty of seeing the cats as creatures deserving of life and trying to allow them to live as well as possible within our means.
For a very long time our animal control and ASPCA were extremely poor to non-existent. Right here in the US. The spay and neuter clinic was pointless, the shelter was overpacked, veterinary costs for spay and neuter are ridiculously high and the only person who seemed to do anything useful was a mobile pet-vacc who doubled as an urgent care vet for low income people.
Our city has had an extremely high rate of animal hoarding abuse cases over the years because of animals who were being abandoned and abused.
I overheard a vet at the current spay and neuter clinic saying that the euthanasia rate at our shelter when she started was over 60%. The shelter was also used to hold animals who were kept as evidence in cases which took sometimes months. The animals linked to those cases couldn't be adopted out and they took up space, animals surrenders were held briefly and put down. The only ones who survived were the most healthy, most docile; animals were killed for stuffy noses, parasites, pregnancy, aggression even minor fear based aggression.
Most of the people penalized for hoarding were trying to save lives and just could not handle the burden.
In February Animal Control came to my house to talk with me about the cats. They offered assistance, not penalties.
The shelter had been completely rehauled; new staff, new rules and a free spay and neuter clinic. They also have a tnr program. We got all of the indoor cats done right away, we also surrendered some. There are also ferals who like my yard, that is where the kittens came from. If I can trap a mom before she gives birth then I can get control of the kittens and get the mom spayed.
In February the clinic was a drop in, it still is, first come first serve drop off at 8am and come back at 4 pm. People are now told that if the vet can't get to their animal then it may stay overnight to keep it's surgery queue.
Surrenders are by appointment only. In February of last year appointments were 2 weeks out and now they are 2 months out.
In February Animals Control could come and pick up animals for permanent surrender including trapped ferals. Now Animals Control has been told to bring in only the most dire cases. The shelter will not take in kittens under 2 months old and will not take in pregnant or nursing cats at all. In those cases they offer advice on how to trap and house the cat as well as help with food and kitty litter.
I am sorry, this is gone long for a single response and still may be taken largely as excuses. The shelter is jammed, I am trying not to add to their burden and they appreciate it. Several months back we had 5 kittens and their mother scheduled for surrender and instead altered the lot and kept them and we got a lot of appreciation for it. The current litter will effect our budget so I will let them go knowing they have a pretty good chance at a decent life. Right now they aren't restricting numbers at all and multi cat owners are left alone as long as the cats are altered, vaccinated(rabies), have food and clean water and clean living conditions.
I stay home and I keep them fed, watered and keep things as clean as I can. All of the cats get attention. They are all well fed. We buy a higher quality cat food than most people in our situation because as you know diet and health are linked.

How did you end up with Lovie and Luvvie? And how do you tell the difference, lol?
Lovie and Luvvie were from the same litter. As kittens they were identical and it was hard to tell them apart. They are what I classify as "Ecstasy" kitties, as soon as they are touched they go into fits of purring and seeking more and more touch. Sometimes aggressively. I was watching a Korean drama that had as a costar a robot named Luvvy who also seemed hyper affectionate so that was the inspiration. Their names are pronounced differently. One is called Luvvie and the other is spoken with a Korean accent so the "v" sounds more like a "b".

Are the cats all indoors only? Does your city have a limit on how many pets you can have?
They are all indoors and currently there is no limit, though I live in the countryside so city restrictions do not apply. The county requires that they are spayed, neutered and treated humanely so as long as they are not sick, starving and sleeping in filthy conditions they are fine. My house is in tatters but I work to keep it clean.
The shelter does not discourage keeping many animals, though I don't think they would let us adopt(which is fine with me). I do think they would let us register as a temporary foster though, if we found ourselves needing to find homes for all or most of the cats at a time when they are overbooked an unable to take them all.
I feel bad because I forgot 4 last night; Petie, Raj, Monster and Jin.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
W Willowy living out in the country, I can imagine that many of those cats FOUND YOU. You didn't go looking (hoarding). Thats what has happened with us.... I just wish we could get a catio FINISHED! DH says it is HIS project, I just get to add to the inside, which I haven't finished either..:paperbag:

As long as they are healthy and happy !
It is kind of embarassing when I go get cat litter & food. That's people's first question and I am really good at changing the subject. ;)
At Petsmart they don't ask. At Tractor Supply we were asked if we were a foster, because then it is tax free. At the grocery store where we get our litter we are sometimes asked if we have a lot of cats or how many cats. It is embarrassing a little because people are negatively judgemental about it.
I don't actually like it but my husband is a veteran. He saw people die and he is terribly sensitive about these kids as he calls them. sometimes he gets upset about the cost, the noise or the messes but when he is relaxed and covered in them he just looks so happy and relaxed.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to take a shower because I'm supposed to go to the doctor this afternoon, but Murphy is curled up with me on the couch and it's really comfy so I don't want to move.
I've only been awake for about 2 hours but I'm already feeling tired again. Maybe Murphy and I should take a nap together.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 I was mainly asking for information, I was not accusing you to be a hoarder or breaking the law. Obviously things are different in the country from those in the city or town and different from an apartment vs a big house. In San Diego recently a 2 bedroom apartment was discovered that had 4 people living in it with over 100 cats, most of them were black or almost all black. These people also did not go out to collect cats, but as not all of the cats had been neutered due to a lack of funds they just multiplied. Some of the cats had been brought to them because they had been abandoned and nobody wanted black cats. These people were unable to say no to another black cat without a home. They had tried to give cats away and had managed to find new homes for 15 of them but the kittens just kept on coming. The cats have been removed to shelters, most of them in good shape although one small kitten did die. The people would like to keep 6 of them but that is still too many cats for the small apartment with 4 people living in it so they may not be allowed that.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 I was mainly asking for information, I was not accusing you to be a hoarder or breaking the law. Obviously things are different in the country from those in the city or town and different from an apartment vs a big house. In San Diego recently a 2 bedroom apartment was discovered that had 4 people living in it with over 100 cats, most of them were black or almost all black. These people also did not go out to collect cats, but as not all of the cats had been neutered due to a lack of funds they just multiplied. Some of the cats had been brought to them because they had been abandoned and nobody wanted black cats. These people were unable to say no to another black cat without a home. They had tried to give cats away and had managed to find new homes for 15 of them but the kittens just kept on coming. The cats have been removed to shelters, most of them in good shape although one small kitten did die. The people would like to keep 6 of them but that is still too many cats for the small apartment with 4 people living in it so they may not be allowed that.
Sorry. I don't mean to be thin skinned about it but I really am. I often avoid socializing on specialized sites like this one because people can sometimes be so awful to each other and I have been treated badly in the past. I tried to provide you as much information as I could but I know some emotion bled through.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the grocery store where we get our litter we are sometimes asked if we have a lot of cats or how many cats.
I always say "a bunch! And they're all spoiled rotten!", which gets them thinking/talking about spoiled cats and not how many there are ;). I also order most food and some litter online (chewy or Amazon) which cuts down on gas usage AND nosy questions, lol.
living out in the country, I can imagine that many of those cats FOUND YOU
Actually, there have been far fewer cats "finding me" out in the country. Most of them came from when I lived in town. I lived near the park which seemed to be a popular dumping ground :/.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why people are cruel enough to dump cats. I think Marcy must have been dumped. She seems so content living outside and shows no desire whatsoever to go out. Then again, Mickey is the same way and he wasn't dumped - just neglected by his previous owner. She let him run outside and said it was impossible to keep him in. That's odd since he never tries to leave. When John found him, he was skinny and dirty and his paw looks like it was crushed at one time. It doesn't seem to bother him and the vet said not to worry about it.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my blood tests back. We're not going to talk about my LDL and total cholesterol, but it was right where I expected it to be. The CBC test showed a couple of results out of normal range and two more that are barely within normal, and all four of them are indicators of anemia. And all four of them are usually an indication of iron-deficient anemia, though all four can be affected by deficiencies in B12 and folate. And nope, I wasn't on my period when the test was taken, though it started very shortly after.

So I guess I know why I'm always freezing. And this could likely be part of the depression. And why I was actually struggling with endurance on the bike far more than usual despite being on it daily.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always say "a bunch! And they're all spoiled rotten!", which gets them thinking/talking about spoiled cats and not how many there are ;). I also order most food and some litter online (chewy or Amazon) which cuts down on gas usage AND nosy questions, lol.

Actually, there have been far fewer cats "finding me" out in the country. Most of them came from when I lived in town. I lived near the park which seemed to be a popular dumping ground :/.
I have considered buying online, I certainly qualify for free shipping but I think it comes down to a desire to directly impact my local economy. By purchasing at the local Petsmart I impact the ordering of the food I purchase, I actually seem to be competing with people to keep that food in stock in my home but more bags are sent to that location to meet the demand.
I could order the kitty litter and i don't think it would pose a problem at all. I don't think it would be cheaper and I think I would really want to know first how it would be delivered. There is one person who uses their personal car to deliver mail through our little town. If the litter was delivered USPS I just couldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.