The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In town a couple of times this summer I have seen guys with tattooed faces. Live & let live, yeah, but that seems extreme to me.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In town a couple of times this summer I have seen guys with tattooed faces. Live & let live, yeah, but that seems extreme to me.
Not just extreme - stupid.  Yeah, people are always talking about not judging a book by its cover, but use some common sense!  If you have a tattoo covering your face or your neck, you're gonna look like a thug.  People may not want to be judgmental.  They may not even do it consciously.  Still, a lot of people will see you and their initial reaction will be fear or trepidation.  Even if they try to look past that, if you're competing for a job, you will likely lose to someone who does not make the interviewer feel uncomfortable.  That's just the way things are.  Making a good impression depends on a lot of things.  Skills, experience, attitude, and appearance.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just extreme - stupid.  Yeah, people are always talking about not judging a book by its cover, but use some common sense!  If you have a tattoo covering your face or your neck, you're gonna look like a thug.  People may not want to be judgmental.  They may not even do it consciously.  Still, a lot of people will see you and their initial reaction will be fear or trepidation.  Even if they try to look past that, if you're competing for a job, you will likely lose to someone who does not make the interviewer feel uncomfortable.  That's just the way things are.  Making a good impression depends on a lot of things.  Skills, experience, attitude, and appearance.
It's got to be so painful, I would think, having face tattoos. Don't know how people can stand it. And some tattoo their inner lips. Ugh.

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope this a good place to type what just happened. 

Cally has been watching the Christmas tree every night from her cat tree. She was in her tree tonight meowing like crazy. I had fed her already so I know it was not hunger. She has fresh water + I pet her. Well I noticed the Christmas tree was not turn on yet. I turned the tree on and she stop her meowing. I think that is cute. She was missing the twinkling little lights.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And what if some day you regret having them?  Tattoo removal DOES NOT remove the entire image.  It leaves a negative image which is almost as visible as the ink.

So far, I've come to accept Jackson Galaxy's tattoos because he's such a great guy and it's part of his whole look.  That's about it when it comes to tattoos.  

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people don't think ahead.  I plan my tattoos carefully.  Well, after the first one, anyway.  My first tattoo was a playboy bunny with my ex-husband's name under it.  Thank God I had it done unprofessionally and the guy didn't stick the needle deep enough so it completely faded out.  So I got it redone after we split.  Kept the bunny cuz it was my first tat and had sentimental meaning but changed the words.  I think it's quite fitting.

I want to get a tattoo in memory of my grandpa, but I can't find anything that's "right."  I want it to be special.  I never had a dad, but my grandpa more than filled the position.  He took me fishing, taught me to use tools, taught me to change a tire, check and change the oil, and handle basic repairs, and he even taught me to drive.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cally has been watching the Christmas tree every night from her cat tree. She was in her tree tonight meowing like crazy. I had fed her already so I know it was not hunger. She has fresh water + I pet her. Well I noticed the Christmas tree was not turn on yet. I turned the tree on and she stop her meowing. I think that is cute. She was missing the twinkling little lights.
It's adorable.  But beware the withdrawal when you take the tree down.

Margret

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A lot of people don't think ahead.  I plan my tattoos carefully.  Well, after the first one, anyway.  My first tattoo was a playboy bunny with my ex-husband's name under it.  Thank God I had it done unprofessionally and the guy didn't stick the needle deep enough so it completely faded out.  So I got it redone after we split.  Kept the bunny cuz it was my first tat and had sentimental meaning but changed the words.  I think it's quite fitting.

I want to get a tattoo in memory of my grandpa, but I can't find anything that's "right."  I want it to be special.  I never had a dad, but my grandpa more than filled the position.  He took me fishing, taught me to use tools, taught me to change a tire, check and change the oil, and handle basic repairs, and he even taught me to drive.
Mine are all planned well also. They can be covered super easily as most of them are on my feet and one is on my chest where my shirts cover it. I would never get a neck tattoo or probably anything on my arm. Way too visible. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I don't like any kind of tattoo and I don't like to see them on others. Plain skin is beautiful to me, why paint it up with permanent or even temporary paint? If you need adornment I prefer jewelry that can be changed with the occasion. I don't even want to think about what tattoos look like after 50 or 70 years. My daughter had one on her shoulder blade and she lived to regret it, it was hard to recognize after just 15 years. If she had lived I shudder to imagine it after another 15 years, probably would have looked like a dark blue blob. My other children have no use for them and consider them to be low class or belonging only on the skin of native peoples where it is a custom but not on civilized people. I wholeheartedly agree but I also know that not everybody feels that way. To each his/her own.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't like any kind of tattoo and I don't like to see them on others. Plain skin is beautiful to me, why paint it up with permanent or even temporary paint? If you need adornment I prefer jewelry that can be changed with the occasion. I don't even want to think about what tattoos look like after 50 or 70 years. My daughter had one on her shoulder blade and she lived to regret it, it was hard to recognize after just 15 years. If she had lived I shudder to imagine it after another 15 years, probably would have looked like a dark blue blob. My other children have no use for them and consider them to be low class or belonging only on the skin of native peoples where it is a custom but not on civilized people. I wholeheartedly agree but I also know that not everybody feels that way. To each his/her own.
I disagree. I believe tattoos are a form of expression and some are actually quite beautiful.

I also don't believe people should judge people with tattoos and call them "low class" just because they disagree with what someone else does with their own body. Same goes with piercings. It's a personal choice, and most people who get tattoos, get them for a certain reason (like memorial tattoos and such) and not just because they look pretty. And EVERYONE who makes the decision to get a tattoo KNOWS it is permanent and won't look the same when they are old. The difference is that they don't normally care about that. And I feel like it is really shallow to care about something so trivial as what other people's skin is going to look like when they are old.

Even though I have no tattoos of my own, I have nothing against them. I have my ears pierced 3 times + one cartilage pirecing (so I have 7 holes total in my ears) and I have the right side of my nose pierced (I only ever wear small studs though).

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree. I believe tattoos are a form of expression and some are actually quite beautiful.

I also don't believe people should judge people with tattoos and call them "low class" just because they disagree with what someone else does with their own body. Same goes with piercings. It's a personal choice, and most people who get tattoos, get them for a certain reason (like memorial tattoos and such) and not just because they look pretty. And EVERYONE who makes the decision to get a tattoo KNOWS it is permanent and won't look the same when they are old. The difference is that they don't normally care about that. And I feel like it is really shallow to care about something so trivial as what other people's skin is going to look like when they are old.

Even though I have no tattoos of my own, I have nothing against them. I have my ears pierced 3 times + one cartilage pirecing (so I have 7 holes total in my ears) and I have the right side of my nose pierced (I only ever wear small studs though).
I have 3 holes in each ear, too.  Cartilage, lobe, and middle; still in the lobe area.  I used to have rings in my navel and tongue, too.  I'm considering getting my tongue redone.  I've always really liked those little nose studs, but I don't think it would be a good idea.  I used to have horrible nose bleeds.  I had a weak vessel in my nose and the nose bleeds were triggered by my allergies and dry air.  I had one that lasted for 4 hours.  I haven't had one since I was 19 but I'm afraid to get a piercing because I really don't want to trigger them again.  They went on for 10 years!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen a heck of a lot of tattoos that were quite lovely at first, but faded over time.  They seemed to have a muddy color.  And I've seen a few that managed to retain their original color.  I don't know what the difference is, but I suspect it has something to do with either the quality of ink used or the quality of the artist (or both).

Personally, I don't like tattoos very much, or body piercings.  I have pierced ears, but just one piercing per ear, in the lobe.  I would be very leery of getting a cartilage piercing.  The lobe piercing was plenty painful enough for me.  As for tattoos, even if I liked them I wouldn't get one.  It strikes me as extremely painful, and I'm against pain.

But I have friends with tattoos, and it doesn't especially bother me.  If they like it, well, they have the right to do what they like with their bodies.  I even designed one of the tattoos, by request.

Have you ever seen There and Back Again: By Max Merriwell, by Pat Murphy ()?  In real life, Pat Murphy wrote it; Max Merriwell is a novelist character in another of her books who presumably wrote it.  (Yes, I know.  That makes no sense, except that it does.  To make it even stranger, each of her books by or about Max Merriwell contains a character named Pat Murphy. 
)  The book is a space opera homage to The Hobbit, with nods to the Alice books by Lewis Carroll.  The character on the cover, with the fantastic facial tattoo, is Gitana, who fills in for Gandalf.  (The eye patch is actually an implant that allows her to directly access some kind of computer stuff or something -- I need to re-read the book.)  Good books, but I bring them up primarily for the Amazon link so you can see a picture of the facial tattoo.

Good night, all.  I may not be on-site very much before Christmas; I just have too much to do getting ready, as well as local celebrations to attend.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ink quality/artist skill do play a big part.  My ankle tattoo is almost 10 years old and it's still pretty perfect.  The shop who did it also redid my waist tattoo and the one on the back of my neck.  They guarantee their tattoos - I have free touch ups for life.  I did have to get a small touch up done on my ankle.  I cut it pretty bad on some barbed wire and messed it up.  They fixed it and didn't charge me a dime.

They did hurt, though.  I get all mine in bony areas so they'll be less likely to stretch out if I ever gain weight.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, John was talking about this guy he works with - Ammanuel.  I just gave him a blank look trying to figure out who he was talking about.  He said I'd told him I knew the guy and described him and then it clicked.  He was calling by the wrong name!  He's not Ammanuel - he's Bub!!!  He's my best friend's older brother.  Joanie and were friends from birth.  And, yeah, I know Bub is Ammanuel, but he's always been Bub. So it just didn't click.  I thought it was funny.  He's the big brother I never had.  And he will never be Ammanuel as far as I'm concerned!  LOL

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Neck

Ankle

Waist

See, your tattoos are tactful, discreet, and full of meaning. I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos in general, just front and center on the neck. (I've even seen a couple that were on the face that were well done and works of art. This one woman I went to anatomy II with had a small, blue butterfly on her left cheek that looked really nice.)

Hmm. What happens when the tree comes down?

I think the new words on the bunny tat are better, and a good motto. I hope you find something for your grandfather.

To which I say, people can be strange, sometimes, and I try not to judge. 

Okay, I'll tell you true; I don't have any tattoos. (Not only do I have a deathly fear of needles, but also skin so sensitive that I end up with strange rashes and no idea what causes them.) I, personally, don't think tattoos label someone's "class." (Lifestyle choices, careers, and taste in art most certainly, however.) I may think that front and center neck tattoos are tacky and offensive, but I try to be understanding about it and not bring it up. The only  reason that conversation happened was because he started in on my nice, warm hat in the winter in a building with no heat. So, yes, I did get snippy, lippy, and snide with him about it--and I felt annoyed that while I was doing my best to contain my distaste for his permanent tattoo he  started in on my hat. (Did I mention the building had no heat? It was freezing  in there!)

All right, I just need to rant about last night's shift, so feel free to skip and ignore this part. First of all, when I got to work last night the store had no gas. (Our low gas alarm, that lets us know we're supposed to call for an extra shipment, never went off.) The store smelled like gas, but sometimes it does that when we run out (for reasons unknown and that I am not about to ask.) To top it off some club across the river had this huge  party, and it felt like when they closed they sent all their people to our store for more alcohol. (I can't sell it when the customer is obviously blotto. Not only is it wrong, but it's an automatic firing offense.) None of the people I explained that too were happy. The other half of my customers were on their way to Target because apparently they were getting a shipment of something called "hatchimals" (I think) this morning and they all wanted to be in line for it. About halfway though my shift I noticed that there was pink stuff leaking onto the floor. (My first thought was, "Here we go again." Please remember, I mentioned the hot pink stuff in the most recent babble thread.) The original pink stuff was sticky, but mopped up just fine. This  stuff just sort of--spread around. It didn't mop up, it was sticky and slippery at the same time, and I kept interrupting tasks to try and clean the (rapidly spreading) mess up--and failing miserably, FYI. I didn't manage to get nearly everything done. Then I had a customer come up to the counter and ask if we had any bread that wasn't ripped open. Shocked (because none  of our bread was supposed to be ripped open) I went back to the aisle (slipping on the pink stuff) and saw that yes, indeed, someone had ripped open the bread. Every single bag. They didn't take any of it (which I might have understood--I think most of us have been starving at one point or another), just ripped it open. And, behind the torn loaves of bread, I discovered what was causing the pink, sticky and slippery stuff. It was transmission fluid. Someone had opened one of the bottles of transmission fluid and poured  it  all over the shelves. As I was trying to clean up the fluid (I figured if I got it off the shelves it would stop leaking out onto the floor) I discovered that someone (probably the same  someone) had opened one of the bottles of injecter fluid (as in the stuff that goes in  a gas tank) and squirted it all over the cat food cans. As I was trying to clean that  up (we had to pull the cans from the shelves because there was no way to make sure that we had gotten it all off of them, and we didn't want to accidentally poison any pets), a customer reported that there was an opened bag of potato chips. And there was. Someone (once again, probably the same  someonehad ripped open one of the bags--and just left it there. Didn't take any, didn't eat any, just left the opened bag right there on the shelf. I was not  happy. I work hard to make sure that store is as clean, presentable, and welcoming as possible on my shift. 

Thanks for letting me rant. Sorry, but I just had to get it out of my system so I can sleep today. I have to go back again tonight. (I hope they catch whoever did it!) 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Neck

Ankle

Waist

See, your tattoos are tactful, discreet, and full of meaning. I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos in general, just front and center on the neck. (I've even seen a couple that were on the face that were well done and works of art. This one woman I went to anatomy II with had a small, blue butterfly on her left cheek that looked really nice.)

Hmm. What happens when the tree comes down?

I think the new words on the bunny tat are better, and a good motto. I hope you find something for your grandfather.

To which I say, people can be strange, sometimes, and I try not to judge. 

Okay, I'll tell you true; I don't have any tattoos. (Not only do I have a deathly fear of needles, but also skin so sensitive that I end up with strange rashes and no idea what causes them.) I, personally, don't think tattoos label someone's "class." (Lifestyle choices, careers, and taste in art most certainly, however.) I may think that front and center neck tattoos are tacky and offensive, but I try to be understanding about it and not bring it up. The only  reason that conversation happened was because he started in on my nice, warm hat in the winter in a building with no heat. So, yes, I did get snippy, lippy, and snide with him about it--and I felt annoyed that while I was doing my best to contain my distaste for his permanent tattoo he  started in on my hat. (Did I mention the building had no heat? It was freezing  in there!)

All right, I just need to rant about last night's shift, so feel free to skip and ignore this part. First of all, when I got to work last night the store had no gas. (Our low gas alarm, that lets us know we're supposed to call for an extra shipment, never went off.) The store smelled like gas, but sometimes it does that when we run out (for reasons unknown and that I am not about to ask.) To top it off some club across the river had this huge  party, and it felt like when they closed they sent all their people to our store for more alcohol. (I can't sell it when the customer is obviously blotto. Not only is it wrong, but it's an automatic firing offense.) None of the people I explained that too were happy. The other half of my customers were on their way to Target because apparently they were getting a shipment of something called "hatchimals" (I think) this morning and they all wanted to be in line for it. About halfway though my shift I noticed that there was pink stuff leaking onto the floor. (My first thought was, "Here we go again." Please remember, I mentioned the hot pink stuff in the most recent babble thread.) The original pink stuff was sticky, but mopped up just fine. This  stuff just sort of--spread around. It didn't mop up, it was sticky and slippery at the same time, and I kept interrupting tasks to try and clean the (rapidly spreading) mess up--and failing miserably, FYI. I didn't manage to get nearly everything done. Then I had a customer come up to the counter and ask if we had any bread that wasn't ripped open. Shocked (because none  of our bread was supposed to be ripped open) I went back to the aisle (slipping on the pink stuff) and saw that yes, indeed, someone had ripped open the bread. Every single bag. They didn't take any of it (which I might have understood--I think most of us have been starving at one point or another), just ripped it open. And, behind the torn loaves of bread, I discovered what was causing the pink, sticky and slippery stuff. It was transmission fluid. Someone had opened one of the bottles of transmission fluid and poured  it  all over the shelves. As I was trying to clean up the fluid (I figured if I got it off the shelves it would stop leaking out onto the floor) I discovered that someone (probably the same  someone) had opened one of the bottles of injecter fluid (as in the stuff that goes in  a gas tank) and squirted it all over the cat food cans. As I was trying to clean that  up (we had to pull the cans from the shelves because there was no way to make sure that we had gotten it all off of them, and we didn't want to accidentally poison any pets), a customer reported that there was an opened bag of potato chips. And there was. Someone (once again, probably the same  someonehad ripped open one of the bags--and just left it there. Didn't take any, didn't eat any, just left the opened bag right there on the shelf. I was not  happy. I work hard to make sure that store is as clean, presentable, and welcoming as possible on my shift. 

Thanks for letting me rant. Sorry, but I just had to get it out of my system so I can sleep today. I have to go back again tonight. (I hope they catch whoever did it!) 

What a great video!  For some reason, my favorite carol is "Mary's Boy Child," by Jester Hairston.  I'll have to find it again, but there's an episode of Amen (the sitcom, with Sherman Hemsley as a pastor), where the church choir is involved in a Christmas carol competition with several other church choirs and can't decide on what to sing.  Jester Hairston plays Rolly Forbes, an elderly parishioner and member of the choir.  When they're all talking about their favorite carols, someone suggests "Mary's Boy Child" and Rolly says "I've never cared very much for that one" (or words to that effect).  They finally decide that everyone in choir will get to solo one verse of their favorite carol.  Somehow, Rolly ends up doing a verse of "Mary's Boy Child."  They end up winning the competition.  I wish I could remember the name of the episode.  It's on YouTube, in three parts.

@Tallyollyopia, I'm not at all surprised that drunk people aren't amenable to explanations that it's as much as your job is worth for you to sell to them.  It kind of goes with being drunk, as does the vandalism.  Sounds like you had a really rotten night.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Sometimes people are really spiteful and ugly.  This sounds like a truly horrible night.    In all the years I worked at a grocery store, I never had to deal with anything like that.  Only someone who has never gone hungry would casually destroy food.  Although I'm not  sure I believe in karma, I'm kind of hoping it does exist.  Some cosmic  justice needs to happen to this creep.    

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

What a great video!  For some reason, my favorite carol is "Mary's Boy Child," by Jester Hairston.  I'll have to find it again, but there's an episode of Amen (the sitcom, with Sherman Hemsley as a pastor), where the church choir is involved in a Christmas carol competition with several other church choirs and can't decide on what to sing.  Jester Hairston plays Rolly Forbes, an elderly parishioner and member of the choir.  When they're all talking about their favorite carols, someone suggests "Mary's Boy Child" and Rolly says "I've never cared very much for that one" (or words to that effect).  They finally decide that everyone in choir will get to solo one verse of their favorite carol.  Somehow, Rolly ends up doing a verse of "Mary's Boy Child."  They end up winning the competition.  I wish I could remember the name of the episode.  It's on YouTube, in three parts.

@Tallyollyopia, I'm not at all surprised that drunk people aren't amenable to explanations that it's as much as your job is worth for you to sell to them.  It kind of goes with being drunk, as does the vandalism.  Sounds like you had a really rotten night.

Margret
Love that Christmas Carol..."Mary's Boy Child"  and have you heard the one, "Mary, Did You Know?"  I think those are my favorite ones...

@Tallyollyopia    Thanks for Snoopy!! I have a Snoopy Winter Mug which I am drinking my coffee out of right now...

Man, what a night you had.. that is a nightmare.. unfortunately, some people are really mean drunks.. It was probably one of the ones you refused the liquor to....it was out of meanness and spite....

Hopefully, it will be quieter the next time you go in....and with nicer customers...you really have a hard job..physically and mentally....((hugs))

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This is what it looks like outside my window at the moment.

And this is what it looks like inside.

Paul in a grump because he failed to hornswaggle me into an extra meal

Chula in the Land of Nod.

It may be beautiful outside, but we're not going anywhere today! 

Status
Not open for further replies.