The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am disheartened by the meanness in this country. It gets worse all the time. We celebrate people who get to the top by ripping off other people and the general tone is so awful. I feel like half the country hates the other half . Sad about this lately

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, this happened in my area recently. A comcast repairman parked his truck in the middle of the road (the roads are very icy right now) just over the top of a hill. Drivers at the base of the hill could not see him and were sliding off the road in attempt to avoid hitting his truck. Yet he STILL REFUSED to put more cones down at the base of the hill or move his truck off the road.

And he had the nerve to sit there and say "We don't cause anything". :uuh: :argh: :censor:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 I've got a dead battery in my pickup and THREE horses.....still have to wait on husband to get home so I can go to work !
[emoji]128014[/emoji][emoji]128014[/emoji][emoji]128014[/emoji] One is too old, the second too crazy, and the third, mine is 12 and isn't trained to saddle yet...[emoji]128566[/emoji][emoji]128566[/emoji][emoji]128566[/emoji][emoji]128540[/emoji]. I'm sure that he loves his unemployed status...

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Like this, only the yarn was in it for the new scarf.
Ha ha ha!  Now that's being a serious ailurophile!
 I wouldn't go that far, although come to think of it, it would make a good excuse to go yarn shopping, a favorite activity.  Asia is beyond cute there.  Her adorable floofy tummy is just begging for a massage.  It's a nice photograph as well, with the bright yellow and bright green.  [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some guy got all snitty with me because the stamps he wanted say "Winter Fun" on them. He's all like "oh, heaven forbid we ever say Christmas! Can't offend the Muslims!" I pointed out that those stamps have nothing Christmas-y on them, and in fact do depict winter fun (ice skating, snowmen, etc.) and showed him 3 or 4 selections that do say Christmas on them. He still bought the Winter Fun stamps, lol. So some people need everything to say Christmas in order to be happy? Jeez buddy. I guess we'll name the flag stamps Christmas Flags just for you cuz you're so special.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Some guy got all snitty with me because the stamps he wanted say "Winter Fun" on them. He's all like "oh, heaven forbid we ever say Christmas! Can't offend the Muslims!" I pointed out that those stamps have nothing Christmas-y on them, and in fact do depict winter fun (ice skating, snowmen, etc.) and showed him 3 or 4 selections that do say Christmas on them. He still bought the Winter Fun stamps, lol. So some people need everything to say Christmas in order to be happy? Jeez buddy. I guess we'll name the flag stamps Christmas Flags just for you cuz you're so special.
This guy sounds like a cheapskate.  It seems to me that the obvious solution would have been to buy both a book of Christmas stamps as well as the "Winter Fun" stamps he actually liked.   I just ordered stamps and the Christmas stamps are really beautiful this year.  So are the Diwali stamps,  the Kwanza stamps, the Hanukkah stamps and the EID stamps.  In fact there are a lot of gorgeous stamps available and I wish I had the need to buy more of them.  I always thought there was something magical about paying for your postage by purchasing miniature works of art.  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Been there. An older woman called to talk about some questions she had. I helped her out. At the end of the conversation, she said, "Have a Merry Christmas!" I said, "Thanks! Happy Holidays to you, too!" And she responded with, "No, you're supposed to say 'Merry Christmas!' " To which I replied, "No, I'm allowed to say whatever I choose." And she hung up on me. 

We need to buy some Christmas stamps so that I can send out cards.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had a lady get super snitty about me not saying "Merry Christmas". Except I didn't even know that's what she was mad about. She was just getting angrier and angrier and finally stomped out. I was very confused until a co-worker and i analyzed the conersation and figured out that's what she wanted. Well I can't read your mind, being passive-aggressive is not going to get you what you want. Plus forcing people to say something they're not comfortable saying is pretty much against what they claim is "The Christmas Spirit" so it seems wrong to me anyway.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How ridiculously touchy some people are!  I am not Christian and I don't like when people say "Merry Christmas" to me, because I do not celebrate it and I never know how to respond.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

This guy sounds like a cheapskate.  It seems to me that the obvious solution would have been to buy both a book of Christmas stamps as well as the "Winter Fun" stamps he actually liked.   I just ordered stamps and the Christmas stamps are really beautiful this year.  So are the Diwali stamps,  the Kwanza stamps, the Hanukkah stamps and the EID stamps.  In fact there are a lot of gorgeous stamps available and I wish I had the need to buy more of them.  I always thought there was something magical about paying for your postage by purchasing miniature works of art.  
I once had a lady get super snitty about me not saying "Merry Christmas". Except I didn't even know that's what she was mad about. She was just getting angrier and angrier and finally stomped out. I was very confused until a co-worker and i analyzed the conersation and figured out that's what she wanted. Well I can't read your mind, being passive-aggressive is not going to get you what you want. Plus forcing people to say something they're not comfortable saying is pretty much against what they claim is "The Christmas Spirit" so it seems wrong to me anyway.

How ridiculously touchy some people are!  I am not Christian and I don't like when people say "Merry Christmas" to me, because I do not celebrate it and I never know how to respond.
I don't see the sense in getting bent out of shape over it.  Why that guy, or that lady, for that matter, chose to react that way says much about them.  I personally send out cards at this season to friends of many faiths, so I choose one that shows a lovely winter scene, and says some "Seasons Greetings" bit of niceness.  I generally say "Happy Holidays, as well."  I don't get upset about what people say to me, although I am not Christian.  It is enough that they are wishing me well.  @Tarasgirl06, I've found that simply saying, "Thank you, and best wishes to you and yours" works very nicely.  Unless you actually wish them under a bus.  In that case, a simple "Thank you" would suffice.

I wasn't even sure I would get online today.  Yesterday, Animal Planet ran a Too Cute! marathon, and I recorded hours and  hours of it.  I've been sitting in my chair, overdosing on kitten tails all day long!  Now my battery is all charged up, and I feel capable of facing anything!  Nothing like kitten tails to renew your faith in the world.  People, maybe, not so much, but the world!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right; I usually just say, "Enjoy your holidays" or something like that.

Watched several of those "TOO CUTE"s with kittens last night, too.  After a very harsh day, it made me smile and chuckle quite a lot seeing those adorable kittens and their moms!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an atheist, and a Unitarian Universalist (no creed, and we don't think you have to believe in a god to be a spiritual person).  I have a couple of U.U. friends who were visiting parents on the east coast for Christmas one year.  The parents are Christians, so my friends went to church with them.  The topic of the sermon was "The attack on Christmas," and it was all about how Christians have to "reclaim" the holiday for Christ, by rejecting such things as people acknowledging other faiths by saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."  It ended with the minister telling everyone to turn to the person next to them and say "Merry Christmas."  So my friends turned to the people next to them and said "Happy Holidays."

Margret

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm an atheist, and a Unitarian Universalist (no creed, and we don't think you have to believe in a god to be a spiritual person).  I have a couple of U.U. friends who were visiting parents on the east coast for Christmas one year.  The parents are Christians, so my friends went to church with them.  The topic of the sermon was "The attack on Christmas," and it was all about how Christians have to "reclaim" the holiday for Christ, by rejecting such things as people acknowledging other faiths by saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."  It ended with the minister telling everyone to turn to the person next to them and say "Merry Christmas."  So my friends turned to the people next to them and said "Happy Holidays."

Margret
I always have a laugh about that sentiment since Christmas came from the Roman's Saturnalia.

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Margret
I am Christian + I would never try making someone to say Merry Christmas. The "minister" missed it. It was a time for sharing love + not trying to force anything. If I was in that church I would have left. To many judge others + do not get to know the person before they open their mouths.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm an atheist and I still say Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays.

Christmas for me has no religious meaning. I don't go to church or believe in a god or anything so I don't "crlebrate the birth of christ". To me, Christmas is more about being kind and giving/helping others. So that is what I "celebrate".

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ha ha ha!  Now that's being a serious ailurophile!
 I wouldn't go that far, although come to think of it, it would make a good excuse to go yarn shopping, a favorite activity.  Asia is beyond cute there.  Her adorable floofy tummy is just begging for a massage.  It's a nice photograph as well, with the bright yellow and bright green.  [emoji]128077[/emoji]
The tummy looks inviting, but reach for it without the comb (none of the cats like brushes so we groom them with combs), and you'll get claws.
It is wrong. People like that miss the most important aspect of Christmas time--it's a celebration!

I just say "Happy Holidays!"

I always have a laugh about that sentiment since Christmas came from the Roman's Saturnalia.
I had a customer get snooty with me and complain that Christmas isn't really when Christ was born. To which I responded, "I was born in August and sometimes can't celebrate until February. I still celebrate." And he had nothing to say to that! 

I am Christian + I would never try making someone to say Merry Christmas. The "minister" missed it. It was a time for sharing love + not trying to force anything. If I was in that church I would have left. To many judge others + do not get to know the person before they open their mouths.
I've always believed that Christmastime is supposed to be a time of joy and giving a crap about your fellow humans. Or, as AWM says, it's the biggest birthday party in the world!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Christian.  I don't care what people say.  However, when I'm working, I'm NEVER allowed to say Merry Christmas.  I can only say Happy Holidays.  Even if someone says Merry Christmas to me, I have to say Happy Holidays back.  Which has resulted in nasty things being said to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.