The Positive Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi I have been in a 'funk'.... As the sun got higher, and the days a bit longer, I am feeling much better.
I have decided I need, what I am calling "Brain Stimulation".. I need to use my brain, instead of sitting on my butt, eating, etc...

They are beginning different activities in here--for brain stimulation.
I joined the: Book Club, The Food Committee, The brand new Newspaper--which is being created. I am also going to the monthly Art Appreciation Classes~ which have an actually art historian, come in, show paintings, and we discuss them...
And, Of Course; I am helping my friend, who is head of the Bocce League. I am kind of like his secretary... and then I will play Bocce and report on it for the newspaper....

I have been so busy last week and this week....It is good... and the days are longer, the sun is out more, the birds are hanging around.. things are picking up...

The thing is; Sitting inside, is not good.

Try some new things on line! You may be surprised by how much you like them.. These things can really change your outlook....

Good Luck.. (((hugs)))

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your senior living place sounds great, artiemom artiemom :) Wish my parents would move to one or at least go to the local senior center to participate in activities. They don't know how to use a computer so virtual activities are not an option.

I can use my dryer again :jive: I hadn't been able to use it since I had the dryer vent cleaned 3 weeks ago. Somehow during the cleaning the dryer hose completely fell off from both the back of the dryer and from the booster fan on the ceiling. My stacked full sized washer and dryer are inside of a teeny closet so there was no way I could reattach the hose myself. The maintenance person finally got the dryer hose reattached today with some help from me. Technically it's not his job to do odd jobs for residents (condo complex and unit owners are responsible for their own appliances and unit maintenance) but he's happy to help.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks LTS3 LTS3 Yes, the building is good to us.. not without issues, but.. nothing is perfect..

It is nice to be on the beach.. Right now I am typing and turning my head to see the waves crashing on the beach and Nahant.
One thing is: I never realized how much sand creaks in! All of us are constantly wiping the windowsills and any furniture in front of the windows! And the sounds of the rowdy beach during the summer, especially on Sundays. I turn the AC on.

Another issue is: the population of the building has aged so much. It was listed as an independent living facility; however, they cannot limit due to age, or physical handicaps. This means the building is really turning into a Nursing Home... and the new residents are not as nice, friendly as the older ones... A plus, minus situation.

I have been here long enough---3 years,----to know who to stay away from, who to talk to, etc......

It has taken 3 years, and during Covid to really get my place the way I want it. Yes, I still have overstocked on items, due to Covid and the fear of being fully quarantined again... That will not happen again. The city officials have admitted it was a horrible thing to do..
Still the fear lingers.....

Glad your dryer is hooked up!! What I would give for my own washer/dryer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby had her annual exam and thankfully her kidney values are stable.

I went to see my mother at the Assisted Living facility after almost a month due to her catching Covid and the visit went OK.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive for today is that you gave this thread another try and posted about your 14 different milks.
Well now you're gonna go and make me cry! Thanks for caring about me. It helps.

They are beginning different activities in here--for brain stimulation.
I joined the: Book Club, The Food Committee
I wish I could retire and live there with you. You would show me how to really live...and clean...and cook...

What I would give for my own washer/dryer!
We all know I feel the same about this!!! Someday...

My positive is I finally felt well enough to return my brother's email. It took me over a month. My nerves were so bad, I just didn't feel like human contact. Anyway, I told him about all my new milks, cappuccinos, cheeses, honey. He'll probably send me another care package, knowing him. Whenever I talk about food, he sends me something...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well now you're gonna go and make me cry! Thanks for caring about me. It helps.
We all care about you. :grouphug: You have our support and all you need to do is holler if you need advice or a hug.🤗 I'm glad you felt well enough to reply to your brother's e-mail. Another case of some of your favorite foods is always a positive!👍

My positive for today is that I spoke with my daughter who lives abroad. We text a lot and talk on the phone once a week. I love hearing about her adventures and studies there. Fingers crossed we will be able to visit her this summer. 🤞

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My great aunt really liked the assisted living place she lived in for a couple of years before moving to a nursing home. She didn't speak any English or understood much but she enjoyed going to the dining room for meals and participating in the various activities. My parents are still capable so independent senior living would be best for them but for whatever reason they don't want to sell the house, which in this market can net them quite a bit because of the location and it's a 2 family with a large backyard and 2 garages.

Having my own laundry was a "must have" when I was looking to buy. I would prefer an actual laundry room to a teeny closet but it works for the most part.

My taxes are done :) I switched jobs late last year so that kind of affected my return a bit. I do get a federal refund but have to pay state tax in almost the same amount :ohwell:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kids and I got to watch a live-streamed rocket launch from NASA earlier. DS was full of questions and busy grabbing a space book he has to try to figure out which "sphere" they had reached. He loved the view of the different NASA facilities and wanted to know how many people it took to launch a rocket. (Apparently I'm supposed to know...) He was pretty bummed to hear they have to be good at math. :lol: But NASA had animated illustrations of what the rocket was doing once it was beyond camera view being able to see it happen and we liked that. It's kind of cool that THAT is someone's job at NASA. It might be part of designing these rockets and things; but still it's very cool someone animates it and we get to see it. ;)
Another issue is: the population of the building has aged so much. It was listed as an independent living facility; however, they cannot limit due to age, or physical handicaps. This means the building is really turning into a Nursing Home... and the new residents are not as nice, friendly as the older ones... A plus, minus situation.
This seems to be common with senior facilities. I guess it's understandable. That was one big reason we wanted my Grandpa to be able to stay at his AL apartment vs having to stay at the nursing home. DH's grandma was at an assisted living with a nursing home attached. She was one of those people that's probably too intelligent. When she and DH's grandpa had moved in there they turned the little community library into a proper library; and maintained it. She wanted to discuss deep, intelligent things; not the weather. His grandpa passed a few months after we started dating; before I could meet him. But his Grandma stayed sharp until the end and talked a lot about not having anyone to really talk to. Many of her neighbors didn't have the same abilities she did or if they had; they were declining as they lived there. (She even exercised daily into her late 90s.) It was a beautiful facility and we enjoyed the food the time we ate there with her. It felt like a fancy restaurant more than a dining hall. But FIL was the only one who talked on her level.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi It is at least a 2.5 year wait for a one bedroom apartment.. Less for a studio...
You also have to be 62 years old, in order to apply...

Today:
Such a lovely day!! I really enjoyed today. I do not say that very often. It was so nice. My cousin's wife, and her almost 16 year old grandson came over to help me with a few issues on my new laptop. His grandmother, drove him over here. And he also helped 2 of my fiends with their computers... I just love this kid.. I really do.. so kind, personable, understanding.. I love him!

They spent all afternoon here... I had munchies for them... and visiting a couple of my fiends to help them with their computer. He is a sophomore in high school, and is a computer whiz--almost genius...Did I say I love him???

Anyway, we all kind of had a party! it was a visit, meet new people, and enjoy each others company, while R was fixing computers... He loved it also...

After R finished, we went out for Pizza!! just a few doors down.. a real beach pizza, while it was snow showering... Such a good ay..
We all paid R some money... He is feels embarrassed for taking it... but he deserved it... I paid for dinner, also...

It was really a Great day.. I needed this.... I am so thankful for this portion of the family... late to know, but makes me feel so so so much like family...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You also have to be 62 years old, in order to apply
I know. I was just thinking about the what ifs...Wish I could retire someplace like that, but I only worked like 5 years...

My positive is even though my Cinnamon Honey Sugar Powder came leaking all over, I can still use it. Amazon needs to stop shipping food in envelopes though! This always happens. I keep ordering though, cause they have the best selection of sugars and honeys, so that's a positive.

1645364109713.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know. I was just thinking about the what ifs...Wish I could retire someplace like that, but I only worked like 5 years...

My positive is even though my Cinnamon Honey Sugar Powder came leaking all over, I can still use it. Amazon needs to stop shipping food in envelopes though! This always happens. I keep ordering though, cause they have the best selection of sugars and honeys, so that's a positive.

View attachment 411477

Bummer :frown: I believe if you go into your order page on Amazon there is an option to rate how well the item came packaged or something like that. You can also reach out directly to Customer Service and complain about the item not being packed properly. Pictures of the leaking bottle and the envelope it came it would be helpful.

If you like honey, try these companies:

A table I ordered has been shipped so I should get that this week sometime. I guess next weekend will be spent putting the table together.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive is I got a great deal from Thrive Market, so I bought that Pistachio Milk I've been wanting to try. I signed up for a one month membership. I also got Avocado Honey, Maple Coffee Peanut Butter, Butternut Squash Tortilla Chips, Barley Milk, Barista Barley Milk, Barista Hemp Milk, Vanilla Flaxmilk, Pea/Oat/Flax Milk, White Chocolate Peppermint Macadamia Milk, Macadamia Veggnog. Fun! I do have a lot of little pleasures, even if I have none of the big ones, like my own home or washing machine, so that's positive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do have a lot of little pleasures, even if I have none of the big ones, like my own home or washing machine, so that's positive.
Sometimes the little pleasures are what makes our day positive. :hugs:

We had a whopper of a lightning and rain storm with small hail early this morning so I ended up with a dreadful, and I mean dreadful, migraine. But my positive is not having to go anywhere today so I can stay home and rest while drinking my beloved coffee which helps a migraine for me. ☕

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the little pleasures are what makes our day positive. :hugs:

We had a whopper of a lightning and rain storm with small hail early this morning so I ended up with a dreadful, and I mean dreadful, migraine. But my positive is not having to go anywhere today so I can stay home and rest while drinking my beloved coffee which helps a migraine for me. ☕
The hail was super loud and woke up J.

My positive is that I had a good workout at stroller barre this morning and J got to play with bubbles.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive is-- my Target order will be here today. I got some more flavors of Goldfish Crackers to try. Cheddar Jalapeno, Sharp Cheddar, and Flavor Blasted Cheddar & Sour Cream. The Flavor Blasted ones seem to be the best, but Target didn't have many flavors.
1645627704004.png
1645627712743.png

1645627729436.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's going to be in the mid 60s today :jive:☀

I did a few errands earlier. I ran into someone who used to frequent the same bus as me before she retired just as the pandemic hit. I hadn't seen her around much since then so it was nice to see her and talk with her for a bit.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to a thread here I’ve been able to figure out the manufacturer and pattern of my Grandma’s good dishes we used on holidays growing up. :redheartpump: They went to another family member so I’ve always wanted something from that to put in my own china cabinet. My MIL and I used to wander antique stores but I didn’t know any information to look online.

Now Ebay…HERE I COME!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.