The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, and whether you're an extrovert or an introvert, it is positive that there will be so many here at TCS that can understand the anguish of losing a beloved cat. The support is amazing.
:grouphug2:
It's so true and so powerfully PAWSitive, @PushPurrCatPaws! Those who truly care for and about cats tend to be very caring people all the way around, I've found. In today's compartmentalized, often very alienating society, that can be life-keeping! Or should I say, life-saving!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who truly care for and about cats tend to be very caring people all the way around, I've found.
...and the opposite holds true as well.

James Boswell in his famous Life Of Samuel Johnson, attributes the quotation, "a person may be simply judged by the manner in which they treat those who can do nothing for them," to him, in reference to one of the Johnson's beloved cats, Hodge.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and the opposite holds true as well.

James Boswell in his famous Life Of Samuel Johnson, attributes the quotation, "a person may be simply judged by the manner in which they treat those who can do nothing for them," to him, in reference to one of the Johnson's beloved cats, Hodge.

Yup! So true. *Though it's a moot point as to whether cats can do "nothing" for humans. I wouldn't call, improving mental, emotional and physical health, lowering blood pressure, giving unconditional loyalty and love, enriching our lives with their beauty, grace, style, friendliness, camaraderie, and just plain confounded silliness (think: Snowshoe) "nothing". :yess:

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom : we’re really not! :lol: It’s one of those handy click floors. Medusa has a whole lot to say about all of our (her) stuff being moved, but other than that, the cats doesn’t seem to care. Our cats are pretty good at not caring about noise. They will sleep like babies trough fireworks and when we got the roof fixed, I was suffering more than them. :lol:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 : yeah, sadly, you guys in the US know more about these horrible acts of terror and violence than we do. So do a lot of other European countries. I hope one day, all countries will be as clueless about this sort of thing as we were. And I do highly recommend the movie.

The pawsitive of today is my sweet little Nala. She is a feisty and intense little lady. :lol: She is the one who is always over the moon happy to see me, and will cry and claw if she doesn’t get love and attention when she wants it. Today I went upstairs for about an hour to clean up. To Nala that was like I had been gone for a year. :lol: She was running around, talking and crying, until I sat down. Then she jumped on my lap, and started purring, kneading and sucking on my t-shirt. She was doing that, happy as can be, for about 15 minutes. :cloud9: Cute little weirdo. (I got her at 12 weeks, so she was weaned before I got her.) I think out of of the cats I’ve had, she is the most intense and loving one. She is also the only one who tries to beat me up If i’m not doing the right thing. :lol: I’ve had my two little kittens for 6 weeks now, and they are just the most amazing little kitties. Nala is intense, loud and tough, and Sorry is mild, sweet and soft. It’s the perfect combo. And I’m so happy Sorry is a bit calmer than her sister, or I’d probably struggle. :lol: I’m going back to work, and to Prague, next week, so I’m a bit worried how Nala will handle that.

Anyways, here are my two little lovebugs tonight:

ACE5BF15-C4E7-455E-A2DB-2F8AE34DF5A0.jpeg

Oh, and I’m guessing that the facial expressions alone makes it easy to guess who’s who. :lol:

There really have been a lot lately, haven't there? A positive is that they can come here and talk to people that truly understand their loss when some in real life may not.
This site is really beautiful! Everyone here is so nice, positive and caring. :grouphug2: It’s like a breath of fresh air, because most of the Internet is not like this. Earlier today I even got into a «fight» with someone on a Facebook page about NF cats. :lol: I love that it’s not like that here.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom --Demi loves to swallow 2 grasshoppers whole at the same time and then puke them back up later. :confused:
Lari Lari --My positive for today is because of you. You posted a picture of a delicious looking Michigan Pasty, which I had never heard of. So my pal from this site and I bought all the ingredients and we are going to have an online cooking challenge and see whose Pasty turns out better. She's a much better cook than me, so she'll probably win, but I'll give it my best try. :):crossfingers:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alice catlady Alice catlady -- I will try to see this film when I'm feeling strong enough. The massacre really made me very upset, as do they all. Yes, we need to evolve beyond what my ex used to say was "the primordial ooze" and with no disrespect to reptiles, whom I generally like a lot, beyond the "lizard brain" stage.
Your little felines are so lovely -- what sweet (and mischievous) little faces and yes, I think I'm guessing correctly! My Suha, who is my icon right now, was found wandering under one of our big, ancient junipers in the Mojave (hence her nickname of "my little juniper berry" and was feral. She is still very feral in nature, very fierce. She bites, hard, sometimes. She is easily overstimulated, which I can generally know before she gets carried away because the base of her tail fluffs up. I love her nature and wouldn't change a thing about her. She is only bonded to me, very deeply.
And M maggiedemi -- TWO grasshopppers at a time! That must be quite an event, especially the aftermath :barfgreen:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Every time I come back to this thread after an absence, I am blown away all over again by the affection everyone has for each other and, of course, for each other's cats. I can practically feel all the PAWsitivity coming through my screen! (I did have "good vibes" instead of "PAWsitivity" but um, wow does that ever date me!) Anyway, there are always the most interesting little insights into people's lives, new things to learn and terrific photos. This thread has grown and deepened into something very special and very rare. :catman:

My PAWsitive news is that Paul has an opportunity to take part in a clinical study of an anti-diabetic drug. Just recently, he's begun drinking more water and peeing more often so I mentioned it to the vet while I was there with Chula, for an unrelated problem. He has to be tested but, hopefully the comprehensive free blood tests will show everything is fine, and that will be the end of that. But did I mention that the blood tests were FREE? :clap:And if, he does qualify (which hopefully he won't) all of his subsequent veterinary care will be free as well. The medication, whose name I am not allowed to know, is, according to my vet, a miracle drug but since I am an old cynic, I am taking that with a grain of salt. :think: I am not sure if I want to use my sweet boy as a test subject, though. But that initial free blood work-up? That is a nice saving. :yess:

Here he is, letting me know what he thinks about the the prospect.

DSC_5993.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I come back to this thread after an absence, I am blown away all over again by the affection everyone has for each other and, of course, for each other's cats. I can practically feel all the PAWsitivity coming through my screen! (I did have "good vibes" instead of "PAWsitivity" but um, wow does that ever date me!) Anyway, there are always the most interesting little insights into people's lives, new things to learn and terrific photos. This thread has grown and deepened into something very special and very rare. :catman:

My PAWsitive news is that Paul has an opportunity to take part in a clinical study of an anti-diabetic drug. Just recently, he's begun drinking more water and peeing more often so I mentioned it to the vet while I was there with Chula, for an unrelated problem. He has to be tested but, hopefully the comprehensive free blood tests will show everything is fine, and that will be the end of that. But did I mention that the blood tests were FREE? :clap:And if, he does qualify (which hopefully he won't) all of his subsequent veterinary care will be free as well. The medication, whose name I am not allowed to know, is, according to my vet, a miracle drug but since I am an old cynic, I am taking that with a grain of salt. :think: I am not sure if I want to use my sweet boy as a test subject, though. But that initial free blood work-up? That is a nice saving. :yess:

Here he is, letting me know what he thinks about the the prospect.

View attachment 246901
I agree, margd margd -- this IS a very special thread, on a very special site with very special members -- cats being, of course, the most special of all! and the root of most if not all of the PAWSitivity. :catlove:
Paul is so absolutely gorgeous -- his coat is so lustrous and he radiates wellbeing! *PRAYERS* for him to be fine, or, if there's a little something going on, for him to qualify to receive the best care to achieve maximum wellness. *And don't most of us know that every bit of good fortune we encounter is very much appreciated!* :clapcat:
*It topped out at 101F earlier, but with lower humidity than we've had, so not quite so uncomfortable. It's already down to 91F at 1652 hours, and we can look forward to a low of 74, which is a lot hotter than I like to try to sleep in, but hey, we'll take it!*

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The medication, whose name I am not allowed to know, is, according to my vet, a miracle drug but since I am an old cynic, I am taking that with a grain of salt. :think:
margd margd - Don't be too skeptical; just as the reverse genetic clinical trials done at U.C. Davis on Feline Infectious Peritonitis yielded two new actual Miracle drugs which treat the problem differently, and as the joint U. Fliorida / U. C. San Francisco studies have uncovered a successful method of attacking the FIV virus, new Diabetes studies have taken a different tack as well, and the "Miracle drugs" are glucagon-like peptides. The two upcoming studies will be examining two different synthetic GLP-1 analogues. A quick Google search for "exendin 4" would probably reveal which study your vet has selected for Paul.

Modern medical science is rapidly fulfilling Arthur C. Clarke's pronouncement that, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , on behalf of Paul, thank you for the compliments on his good looks!:thanks: He is busy at the moment. :blackcat2:
WORLD DOMINATION FOR CATS.jpg

Thank you, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine for telling me about exendin 4 and synthetic GLP-1 analogues. You may be right that the study involves exendin 4, although the vet wouldn't tell me anything, not even the class of drug involved. All I know is that it's an oral formulation. A quick scan brought up reports of exendin 4 being tested in cats as an injection, so perhaps the study is evaluating the efficacy of the oral form. According to the vet, there have been no adverse reactions so far - maybe you are right that I should put Paul to work supporting scientific research.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi - Took me a bit of time to find them at work.

Goodbye Corel Centre.
CorelCentreOff.jpg

Hello Scotiabank Place.
ScotiabankOn.JPG

I couldn't find the Scotiabank Place to Canadian Tire Centre:(
The crane was from another company, I work with the crazy guys on ropes. I don't work on the ropes just with them. That Scotiabank sign was back in 2006 I rarely leave the office now.

It has been a very busy week at work but easy work. A lot of paperwork and making documents look nice. The head of security clearance for a large construction company thanked me for how nice and organized my paperwork was. I had all the people that where no longer working for us deleted and twelve new people added the next day:) That's really good as it is typically takes a lot longer.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Medusa has a whole lot to say about all of our (her) stuff being moved
Go Medusa LOL! Gee whiz those two furbabies are CUTE!! :loveeyes:

M maggiedemi ugh! What IS it about those jumping hopping insects!! eewww.

Shane Kent Shane Kent The head of security clearance for a large construction company thanked me for how nice and organized my paperwork was.
Good for you, well done!!

the revolution will not be televised.
LOL, nah, we'll just take it underground :thumbsup:

I would like to give a shout-out/commendation/enormous praise and acknowledgement to the people, members/readers and lurkers, who lovingly and without a whole lot of fuss work with their cats including and most particularly when they become ill, need to be syringe fed, tube fed, wiped clean from incontinence, messy, smelly... I am consistently filled with awe at how so many of you just deal with it all with such grace.

On a slightly less intense note, which I don't know if this will qualify as a punch line or not as it is in the opposite direction from the burrowing owls LOL, here are some pictures from a day-trip today into the good ol' Rocky Mountains of Colorado :D

Attachments

Last edited:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG
margd margd I, too, am blown away every time I return to TCS to catch up in all the amazing posts. This is such a wonderful community, and I'm so happy to have found it (and shoved my way in! :happycat:)

So, that will be my PAWsitive for the evening: taking a long walk with the pup in the moody fog while reading up on the TCS news. It's pretty chilly here with the fog (55 F) which is a nice mini-break from Summer.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi - I hope you enjoy your pasties! I ended up buying a postcard with a recipe on it so I could make them here one of these days.

I don't think I've mentioned, but Lelia is completely trained on her microchip feeder. It's a stress relief for me to know that she can leave some of her food and come back to get it later and won't starve. It's less positive for S who can't get her normal "leftovers from Lelia's bowl" though, I guess! :devilcat2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! You skip a day here and you miss so much! Lots of wonderful posts! I am reading of strong emotions and people who care if you are stressed by an event. I am sharing the feelings of us all for kitty lovers and their kitties as well as sending our love to those who need it most right now. I know we all wish for better times for all. I am also thinking of pastry contests, great new cookbooks, care packages, ( yes we care to hear the cool contents!) photos of Nala and Sorry and sweet Paul, as well as beautiful moody fog landscapes. I love crazy catwalks and Shane Kent Shane Kent , the eyes on that kitty figurine make me think of my kitty, Cloud. They seem to look right into you. That makes it one of my favorites. I know some folks are getting sun, some are getting rain and best of all, some are getting rainbows! No matter how many rainbows I see, I always smile at every one.Sky paintings! The care and feeding info provided by Poppy was enlightening. Thank you Poppy. I laughed. It interesting to find that grasshoppers can still jump, even after being eaten by cats. Do the kitties find it tickles when the grasshopper jumps from their tummies? Is that the attraction? Lol 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine The cats have already won the revolution and you are right, it would never be televised. They are smarter than humans and would never tell us how they did it. Lol ( for those who don’t know, I am just joking in reference to how much our cats seem to run the lives of those who love them) This site is truly filled with great cat loving people who are willing to reach out to others. tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 you May have lost your beautiful camellias but look at it this way, you now have a spot to plant something new and wonderful that will tolerate future scorching sun issues. Some varieties of camellia are more tolerant than others so even that is an exciting new possibility. I also have enjoyed sharing conversation with someone who has posted things I admire! Very nice!
My own personal positives? I located some kitties I have been looking for in the swamp waters after a storm and they are okay so I won’t be wading in water tonight. I am so happy to have found them. They are back on dry land now and had a good supper with a side dish of warm chicken as a treat. Another plus is that Banjo and Whistle are doing well after their big adventure. One more smile for today! I got two updates on kittens I had rescued and raised. Their adoptive families love them. Chessie and Churchill have grown up into beautiful and happy cats!
Once again Banjo has managed to reach out to us all by taking a selfie with my phone. Always keeping me laughing! What an amazing little kitty! I hope you laugh too!
28F28F05-9033-4E1F-85BC-34D0583437C9.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Once again I've fallen behind on this thread and my pawsitive posts. :doh:
When my daughter was in for a visit we bought a very comfortable air mattress which we can deflate. However, Carleton thinks it's his new cat bed and we don't have the heart to do it. :heartshape:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent --Do you ever buy cat figurines online? Where is the best place to buy them?
I don't buy them online, typically they want the full value of them or close to it. Being online you don't get to look them over for chips, cracks and scratches. I looked up the Tonala Mexican cat online and it was 90 dollars US, or more, for ones that are similar to mine. I paid 15 dollars Canadian for it at a thrift store. The best prices are at the thrift stores. Most of what I find at thrift stores are damaged where the flea markets don't typically sell damaged stuff. I like the small town flea markets more than the city flea markets. Most of the vendors at the city flea markets have closer to antique store prices which is like the online sites.

As far as flea markets and thrift stores those are my favorite places to shop.
Karen has been going to thrift stores for years. She looks for old picture frames and clothes her sister can use as costumes. Karen is a professional photographer the frames are for her to use. Her sister owns a dance studio and does theatrical summer camps. At the thrift stores, I started out buying small stuffed toys for the cats to play with.

One of the small town flea markets I go to a lot because it is beside the spot where we get drinking water for the cottage. I went in there last weekend the woman that operates it had two items set aside for me. She sold me the following, complete with little padded box. She gave me a six foot by four foot cat blanket. The cat blanket has 6 panels with a different cat in each panel and is in perfect condition.

ChristmasOrnamentAug2018.JPG

Have a Fantastic Friday everyone.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I broke down and bought a new camera. I'm going on vacation soon and it's been a pain to lug my other camera with all the lenses on a plane. I went with a small point and shoot. I have two weeks to figure it out. :lol:

You can see the space saving I will have while travelling -

IMG_8491.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.