The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness Carlton looks totally Fab!!, --although I'm not clear about how he himself feels about it all LOL :catface:. :kitty:
And, speaking of fabulous, i must say that strawberry rhubarb pie turned out marvelously, even using a store bought crust :yess:
I'm so glad that brought back a good memory tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ... fragrances and tastes, some of the best!!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted on this thread for a bit due to being preoccupied with family health problems. However, since Carleton had a "spa" day today I wanted to post a pawsitive pic of his neat and tidy coiffure.

View attachment 236438
Carleton looks amazing, as he always does!!! *Prayers* for your family members who have the health concerns. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
A while back I had mentioned the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill and was smacked down, that these were not parrots but conures. Well, beg your pardon. However, scientifically speaking they are indeed parrots, the conure name is mainly used by bird lovers and keepers. They could also be considered large parakeets. The ones I used to see flying over my garden in the city of Orange were large, at least the size of crows or larger and they made that loud racket while flying west every morning and east every evening. I could not tell their color as they looked black against the light sky and they had short tails, nothing like macaws which are big parrots with very long tails (my son-in-law has had a blue-and-gold one for over 40 years and has already made arrangements for the bird as he is unlikely to outlive the bird which he got from the breeder as a chick). I have a few of the bird's shed feathers which are a big prize for the children living in the bird's neighborhood. That's a big positive.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while back I had mentioned the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill and was smacked down, that these were not parrots but conures. Well, beg your pardon. However, scientifically speaking they are indeed parrots, the conure name is mainly used by bird lovers and keepers. They could also be considered large parakeets. The ones I used to see flying over my garden in the city of Orange were large, at least the size of crows or larger and they made that loud racket while flying west every morning and east every evening. I could not tell their color as they looked black against the light sky and they had short tails, nothing like macaws which are big parrots with very long tails (my son-in-law has had a blue-and-gold one for over 40 years and has already made arrangements for the bird as he is unlikely to outlive the bird which he got from the breeder as a chick). I have a few of the bird's shed feathers which are a big prize for the children living in the bird's neighborhood. That's a big positive.
*You can smack the smacker, if you're so inclined, segelkatt segelkatt , because you are right and they are wrong. They're larger than parakeets, quite a lot smaller than the larger parrots a lot of people think of when they think of "parrots" (of which there are many species, sizes and colors), and they are definitely parrots. Your Orange friends were definitely conures, from your description. And reading the book, I learned something else that you can save for anyone else who's rude: those green birds are actually YELLOW. It's an optical illusion that makes us see them as green. Your SIL is good to do that, because parrots can outlive their guardians, absolutely. Those big blues are quite rare now.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Troy got the bird named "Beauregard" but commonly known as "Beau" when he was quite young with the understanding that he would have him all his life. When Troy got married to my daughter the bird transferred its loyalty to my daughter although she had a job and was home no more than Troy, go figure. Beau will go to my daughter's son Corey when they both have passed and that will go alright also as Beau has known Corey since Corey was a very small child and is now visiting with HIS daughter. You are quite correct that these blue-and-gold macaws are rare in the wild, but Beau was bred and hatched in captivity where they are not that rare but now quite expensive. Beau likes to sit in a smallish but bushy tree in the backyard and also likes to harass the shorthaired dachshund that also lives with them there. When they lived in Salem, OR Beau learned that he could fly when he fell off my daughter's shoulder, started to flap his wings and went UP instead of landing on the ground as he expected and ended up first on a roof and then crashed into a large tree down the street where he again fell off and broke his leg but like a trooper tried to get back to my daughter who was petrified, limping all the way on his broken leg. He had to wear a cast for quite a while but eventually healed and hardly ever tries to fly now. Now they all live in Montana and Beau's trips outside are restricted because of the much colder weather. Nevertheless, the neighborhood kids are fascinated whenever he is allowed outside.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love catching up on all the beautiful sunsets, flowers, and (of course,) cats in this board!

My PAWsitive is that today marks on end year since Toulouse, my sweet Lucy, came into my life! It seems impossible that I've had her that long, but on June 12th of last year, I rescued her as a 4 week old baby from under our house. She's grown a lot since then, but still has such a kitten face. She's also got the sweetest disposition you could hope for in a friend, always snuggling by me or following me from room to room. With a kind, trilling meow or a pet of her gorgeous, silky fur, my day is instantly better. I can't imagine going to bed anymore without her sweetly "making biscuits" behind my knees until we both fall asleep. Her love has changed my life so much for the better, and I'm happy to reflect upon the first year of our friendship today!
We celebrated her "gotcha day" with salmon fillets for all, and some new spring toys (her favorite,) to bat around, as well as an extra-long, one-on-one laser pointer playtime where she didn't have to compete with the boys to let her inner huntress run free. Afterwards, she was sprawled out on the floor: happy and tired.
IMG_0014.JPG

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a great shot of a lovely, spooky old tree @Jcatbird It could be a still from that Interview With A Vampire movie.

My positive for the day is that the rain stopped for long enough for me to get out for a walk. Lots of things going on around here. Two very old houses in the village are being demolished (If I had known I'd have been down there early to "recycle" their flower pots.) and a new one is going up. It's always interesting to see what they make.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer and Lucy, Happy Gotcha Day!!! and as you'll see from Tarifa in my icon, I also think tortoiseshells are very special, beautiful girls. My Tar came to me at 11 months and is now 14, but seems more like 14 months as she is very kittenish and small. Her charm, dancing and prancing, and beauty make every moment with her a PAWSitive one!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I had known I'd have been down there early to "recycle" their flower pots.)
ah, that's too bad, but hopefully someone else thought of it so that they didn't just get taken away with all the rest of the destruction debris :lovecat4:

My positive for this post is having an appreciation for simple things like green growing things, a content cat :bigeyes: and discount sales LOL!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive for the day is that the rain stopped for long enough for me to get out for a walk. Lots of things going on around here. Two very old houses in the village are being demolished (If I had known I'd have been down there early to "recycle" their flower pots.) and a new one is going up. It's always interesting to see what they make.
Norachan Norachan - The big positive here is that it rained overnight, and thunderstorms are threatening even as I type this!

I finally got near the end of a long-term project yesterday - extending the high bank on the west end of the lawn for a semi-circular patio and garden I've planned for years, overlooking the river below. Got the last little bit (18 cubic yards) of topsoil laid down yesterday, and managed to spread about 140 pounds of perennial rye seed across the 70 by 90 foot area and rake it in before I lost the light.

westoverlook1.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know - it just looks like dirt - that's because it is just dirt - but the view over the high bank has been screaming for some place from which to watch the sunsets in comfort since the day I moved in:

westoverlook2.jpg

The rain overnight, today's thunderstorms, and yet another rain day on Friday should go a long way toward jump-starting the new lawn. I just Love it when Mother Nature coöperates!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just Love it when Mother Nature coöperates!
heh, betcha thought we'd miss that umlout o

Uh, I thought you had no energy??!
LOL

So, my positive for THIS post is that there were hundreds of ladybugs released into the back yard over the past couple evenings WOO-HOO.
Good eating to you, little red spotty bugs :thumbsup: :daisy:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine "Just" dirt, you say? I'm salivating looking at that rich dark soil! It's like the 72% cacao of soils! *And I'm a darkest chocolate freak. Nothing but the best. In fact, my favorite is unsweetened. It's an ancestral thing, I guess.*
Furballsmom Furballsmom Oh, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine would NEVER leave out an umlaut aifinkso. ;) How great about your ladybugs! I'm very happy whenever I see one around here. They seem to love the nectarine and the orange.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh, I thought you had no energy??!
Furballsmom Furballsmom - I don't; I was exhausted after fourteen hours. I remember a time when I wouldn't even notice.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine "Just" dirt, you say? I'm salivating looking at that rich dark soil! It's like the 72% cacao of soils! *And I'm a darkest chocolate freak. Nothing but the best. In fact, my favorite is unsweetened. It's an ancestral thing, I guess.*
Furballsmom Furballsmom Oh, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine would NEVER leave out an umlaut aifinkso. ;) How great about your ladybugs! I'm very happy whenever I see one around here. They seem to love the nectarine and the orange.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I was pretty happy with it too; the fellow who supplies it is local - in Appleton New York, right up the road. He has a thirty acre horse farm (Pura Raza Andalusians) right on the lake, with an indoor arena and riding stable, and stocks his manure by years. When it's eight years old, he moves it into a compost pile and two years later, shreds it into topsoil in a 3:1 mixture. Eighteen yards, delivered, was $540.00. The city boys with their half clay, half pebbles fill dirt which they call topsoil get more than that if you pick it up in your own truck.

Won for ate! ö Won fitty-tree! Ö I remember a time when everyone online knew the basic ASCII codes; now everyone has SmartPhones. I wonder why they call them that?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's been well over a month since I posted here and I am PAWsitively impressed (and a bit overwhelmed) by the pages and pages of gorgeous photographs and PAWSitive posts added to this thread since then! It's going to take me awhile to get caught up. :hellocomputer::thud::rock:

Here is my contribution of the day - the ripening blackberries I discovered at the edge of the woods next door. Mmmmm. Yummy.

DSC_4716.jpg

Oh, what the heck. I can never stop at one and I've been admiring all the beautiful photos of birds. Our little pond had a visiting Mallard duck a couple of days ago. I watched him for a good 20 minutes, just drinking in his gorgeous coloration and the graceful way he drifted/swam on the water.

Here he is slowly approaching to look right back at me.

DSC_4249.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - I don't; I was exhausted after fourteen hours. I remember a time when I wouldn't even notice.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I was pretty happy with it too; the fellow who supplies it is local - in Appleton New York, right up the road. He has a thirty acre horse farm (Pura Raza Andalusians) right on the lake, with an indoor arena and riding stable, and stocks his manure by years. When it's eight years old, he moves it into a compost pile and two years later, shreds it into topsoil in a 3:1 mixture. Eighteen yards, delivered, was $540.00. The city boys with their half clay, half pebbles fill dirt which they call topsoil get more than that if you pick it up in your own truck.

Won for ate! ö Won fitty-tree! Ö I remember a time when everyone online knew the basic ASCII codes; now everyone has SmartPhones. I wonder why they call them that?
*The PHONES are smart. They're not talking about the users :insertevillaugh:*
Wow, what a deal, eh? And those are some of the most beautiful horses on the planet.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*The PHONES are smart. They're not talking about the users :insertevillaugh:*
Wow, what a deal, eh? And those are some of the most beautiful horses on the planet.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - They seem incredibly gentle and well-mannered as well; kinda like tall cats.

Yanno, most people don't get all that excited about dirt.

;)

margd margd - Excellent photos, and wow - are your berries ever ahead of mine. The red raspberries here are just forming, and the blackberries and black raspberries are probably a week behind them, with the blueberries probably ten days to two weeks out. I envy your early bowls of cereal season.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - They seem incredibly gentle and well-mannered as well; kinda like tall cats.

Yanno, most people don't get all that excited about dirt.

;)

margd margd - Excellent photos, and wow - are your berries ever ahead of mine. The red raspberries here are just forming, and the blackberries and black raspberries are probably a week behind them, with the blueberries probably ten days to two weeks out. I envy your early bowls of cereal season.
Yeah, well, I never said I was normal. Compared to the played-out hardpan around here, that looks like amazing soil. And the proof is in the plants.
Those horses are very, very special horses.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Y'all aren't a farmer if you don't get excited 'bout dirt. I can say that, I'm a ranchers daughter :D
My positive is that I figured out that double point letter o thingie (lordy, so NOT smart, idiot auto correct :hmmm: ) and I voted in the MLB Allstars for my team go Blake Street Bombers :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.