The 2019 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday After two days off due to snow storms I was able to get back to the gym. Did my 25 minutes in the elliptical and spent my resistance weight time focusing on stretching out all the muscles and joints that stiffen up and ache when I sit and do nothing all day. It felt wonderful. Another snow day today but roads should be cleared and I will be back at the gym tomorrow.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Run on Sunday
rest on Monday
Pilates & 5's Tuesday
Weights today...

I'm definitely running into trouble with my eating habits.
Went to a restaurant on Sunday for a friend's birthday... The Hush Puppy... it was not diet or nutritionally friendly. They did have a salad bar, but it was extremely limited (about a total of 6 options, no tomatoes, weird). Most of the food was battered and fried, or salted to death.

Tomorrow we have reservations for a restaurant called Flemings.... fancy steakhouse, rich food. Will require preemptive calorie burn.... but who knows, maybe there'll be a post calorie burn. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We got some snow today, so was out a few time shoveling. Currently at 11, 875 steps on my Fitbit. So I guess I exercised today. :catman:

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm mostly keeping up with my sugar detox. It's day 23 for that. What has got me through the nutrition side of things has been my consistent running/jogging/walking pace on the treadmill. The running really helps me with my cravings and general weird feeling that comes along with eliminating sugar. I go for about 30 to 45 minutes in the morning - when I was sick with a cold I did 20 minutes in the morning and 10 in the afternoon just to give myself some grace. Everything else, like yoga and the resistance bands, has been spotty but I'm not too upset with myself. In March, I start an actual weight lifting program at the gym.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 You're really dedicated, going out in all that snow. We still haven't had any snow here! This is the easiest winter I've ever had in Japan.

furmonster mom furmonster mom It does your body good to fill it with carbs every once in a while. Makes it appreciate how nice you are the rest of the time, when you only eat healthy food.

dalpaengi dalpaengi Wow, really! 23 days without sugar! Good for you. Have you noticed any benefits? I hear a no-sugar diet is great for your skin.

Wednesday I did 90 minutes of yoga, Thursday a 90 minute walk and one hour of yoga. Yesterday I had loads of chores and errands to run, but managed 30 minutes deep stretching.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday was a good day. We picked up our grocery order after church and as I was putting it away...my jeans kept falling down. :flail: Only once helped by DH. ;) :rolleyes: :p So after committing to not weigh myself regularly I went ahead and stepped on the scale. I'm officially down 25lb from what I weighed last summer! :woohoo: That's only 8lb from what I weighed before I had kids (and after until about 4/5 years ago). It's still more than I should weigh; but it's heading in the right direction!

I got my 3 miles in 5 days last week and lifted 2. I'm still not sure how many days I should aim to lift. It may just be determined week to week. Today I have things to do so I got the elliptical in early instead of in the afternoon. I may go out and do some lifting this evening.

I really like feeling stronger. I'm not ready to go buy new pants yet; but maybe I can find a nice belt. :p

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles OMGosh, that's wonderful! Congratulations!

Last week? I guess I took pretty much the whole week off. I don't know, I was tired and I was cranky. I walked on Sunday and Monday. Then it all hit the fan and I got really lazy. I'm walking again.

Monday - I was off work and ripping through the house
25,297 steps for the day = 13.15 miles
51 floors
169 active minutes

Tuesday -
20,069 steps for the day = 10.46 miles
30 floors
143 active minutes

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Wednesday - My sister called me last night and asked if I got all my steps in. I told her I did not because Rick brought me into work yesterday morning. She told me to go downstairs and hit the treadmill. She went upstairs and hit her treadmill. And while we walked, we chatted. It worked. We got a little out of breath sometimes, trying to walk and talk, but it was OK.

21,057 steps for the day = 10.97 miles
32 floors
123 active minutes

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a fun way to do it! I remember when I was a kid one of my moms good friends moved to Florida and since long distance phone calls were expensive back then they'd record conversations on a cassette tape they mailed back and forth. Ms Pat always recorded hers from her treadmill too.

Whatever keeps it fun! I can see a tv from my elliptical but reading is easier to focus on.

And thank you all for the encouragement! I'm not sharing my "journey" anywhere else because it just seems discouraging sometimes. I don't like being "watched." That bothered me about my pregnancies and before them too. I don't like that attention. But here I don't get that and here we encourage each other to do whats best for us! No "do what I do!" Only to be followed by someone else's opinion! :dizzy: This kind of encouragement helps me! :agree:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that week has gone by fast!

Tuesday I started with a 45 minute yoga flow, then walked for 90 minutes.
Wednesday was just 30 minutes of yoga.
Thursday was a 45 minute flow, one hour walk and then another 30 minutes of yoga in the evening.
Today I did about 90 minutes of yoga.

There's plenty to look at when I'm out on my walks, but having someone to chat to would be fun too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Usually I play music when I'm on the treadmill. We don't have a tv in the basement, so I plug my iPod into my treadmill and take it from there. I tried reading and can't do it.

Thursday -
17,939 steps for the day = 9.35 miles
30 floors
89 active minutes

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could never read on the treadmill we had. Too much motion from my steps I guess. With the kindle and the elliptical I can. It helps to be able to adjust the font on the kindle. Magazines are a little harder depending on the print and if I'm actually reading an article. Browsing something picture heavy wouldn't work as well. Maybe if we had a recumbent bike but the bike we have is very upright. (And uncomfortable. :p)

I got my 5 days in with the elliptical and 2 days of weight training. I'm starting to see the difference in my arms. I actually threw my jeans in the dryer this week when I washed them. Normally I air dry basically everything outside of undies and socks. For once a little shrinkage would be a GOOD thing! :thumbsup:

DH wanted to go for a walk today but it's looking cold out there so I don't think that's going to happen. Soon we should be able to get to a nature preserve and watch the migrating birds. I think we have 3 pairs of binoculars now to bring too! I saw a pair of robins in my backyard yesterday so it's time!:hyper:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yoga after work yesterday.

I'm supposed to be at work now, but my next student hasn't shown up for his scheduled lessons for over a month. Wondering if I should risk heading out for a walk now? Or stay here like a good teacher and do another hour of yoga after I finish work?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My student didn't show up yesterday, so I walked for an hour when I should have been working.

:yess:

One hour of yoga after that too. Today I cleaned the house, which is always pretty exhausting, then did 90 minutes yoga.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have not been able to walk since before Christmas. Hubby has been diagnosed with plantar fascilitis. We live in such a secluded area, it is not safe for me to walk alone. We have had so much rain, I can't walk a measured distance around our property without boots. Sigh. I want to exercise. I am thinking of putting my Fitbit on my shoe and using the stationary bike in the garage. I am lazy now though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis about a year ago. I did physical therapy for several months and that helped. But I was in pain nearly daily for about 8 months until I found the right support in my shoes.

My Merrell sandals are excellent. Now I have arch supports from Tread Labs. They come in different arch heights and their customer service was stellar. They even sent me a different arch height for one foot because one foot felt great and the other not as much. I consulted with them before purchasing any and then again later when I was unsure I was wearing the right one. I needed a medium for my left foot and a low for my right foot. They have an excellent return policy too. DH tried them and didn't like them as much so he got a refund even though he'd worn them for a bit. But they sure have my business!

They are different in that once you have your right support height you can just buy the cover part and change them out. So they were on the expensive side at first; but I shouldn't ever need to buy the whole thing again. I think the covers are about $15. DH wears SuperFeet insoles and we've bought dozens over the years!!

Merrell's customer service was also excellent helping me figure out what arch support my sandals have since I knew those were good for my feet. They are from a special line that was only sold at certain stores so I couldn't find them myself. Both companies get 5 stars from me for their customer support. I would like another pair of insoles for other shoes (they come in full length and partial lengths so you can wear them with different style shoes) but for now I'm just so happy to be walking and moving again. :banana1: Even when I'm not in the very supportive (heavy) New Balance sneakers that cost me way too much. ;) Most days I wear a lighter pair of Merrell running style shoe with the Tread Labs insoles. If I'm walking on uneven terrain I will switch the insoles to my New Balance sneakers since then the thicker sole does help. But they feel too heavy for most days. It's nice to be able to switch.:agree: New Balance is still a favorite brand in our house (DH is on his feet all day and that's almost all he wears; same for my Aunt who just retired from the hospital after nursing for 40 years in critical care). We've seen the difference good shoes can make. :agree: As I'm loosing weight I'm thinking the stress on my feet will lessen a lot more too. :agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.