The 2019 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the thread for anyone who plays sport, likes to exercise or just wants to be a bit more active. Share stories and pictures of what you've done and encourage others to be more active too.
Here's to a healthy, prosperous and active 2019. :walk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This shows how focused I/we are on felines, when I read "litter" my first thought was they're looking for a "litter of kittens?". Next thought was litter for a litter box? Then, finally, I realized you were talking about litter, as in garbage. :(

Hope you don't find much litter, but that your foot is up to walking. :crossfingers:
Oh, a litter of kittens would be wonderful! I'm always on the look out for more strays to bring home.

Sadly, I was talking about the garbage kind of litter. We did find a lot. You'd be surprised at the number of people who come to this lovely mountain resort in the middle of a national park to look at the world heritage volcano and merrily throw trash around as they do so. We always get tons of plastic bottles and drinks cans, as well as food wrappers and cigarette butts. We've found cell phones, cameras, old PCs, TVs, kitchen appliances and pretty much everything else you can imagine too. Right next to the lake where the rare fish species live and the endangered wild birds nest every spring.

:rolleyes3:

But, I walked around for over an hour and my foot wasn't too bad at all.

I'm back to doing Vinyassa yoga now, and hour yesterday and this morning. Not trying anything too ambitious with my toe, but happy to be on my feet again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, I walked around for over an hour and my foot wasn't too bad at all.
That's great! Sorry all the walking was to pick up litter. So depressing that such a beautiful spot is littered with garbage. :(

I started the year off good with my exercise. I was packing away and taking all the Christmas decorations down to the basement, and I ended up walking just over 10,000 steps, and 30 flights of stairs! So a good start to the new year.

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh, an exercise thread.....I need to suck it up and get back out walking. I use Zombies, Run!, and I really enjoy it, but I'm such a wuss when it comes to winter weather. I'm asthmatic, and sometimes exercise is just Not Going To Happen, but when I'm going through a streak of good days, I like the feeling I get from a nice moderate workout.

I did two 10ks and a 5k in October, though my times were....um....yeaaaaaaaah...., mostly because I'd had to give up conditioning most of the summer due to the California wildfires dropping air quality to dangerous levels. But I still completed my runs, even if they were at a walk! I have another 10k and 5k planned for the spring, so I really should start training again so I can ease in nice and slow...

I did go to the flea market yesterday, got a bit of walking in there, so there is that. Too bad cats don't really do the active walking thing. Even cats that LOVE running don't do it like we do, and can't really be trained to 'go for a run' like a dog. Shame, because I'd love to have a furry running buddy!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to the thread LittleShadow LittleShadow

I was going to go for a walk today, but it was minus 5C even around midday, so I stayed home and did a 45 minute Vinyassa flow instead.

We're lucky we're not snowed in yet. Usually my January exercise is shoveling.

:cool2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LittleShadow LittleShadow : Welcome to our exercise thread. Hopefully we can all inspire each other to keep active.

Winter time is bad for me. Right now we have super icy sidewalks, so no walking outside till it warms up a bit.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Welcome to our thread LittleShadow LittleShadow !

A bit a day is progress in my mind!

Last week I bought a slimcycle fold up cycling machine. It came in yesterday. Last night took an hour to put it together and tried it out for 30 minutes. I was surprised at how well built it is and easy to move around. I need to have the guys weld me a new seat handle since this one is made for thin people and cuts into my thighs but it's quiet and easy to use. It comes with a computer and pulse sensors. I got Jon to sit on it for 5 minutes. It has these pulley handle things to do tension exercises with your arms while you are pedaling. Hopefully tonight I put in another 30 minutes after running errands after work. They need to make self driving cars with exercise machines in them so we can spin our way home while the vehicle is driving us home...they have those treadmills made for working at computer. Now we just need one for the car...or van.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They need to make self driving cars with exercise machines in them so we can spin our way home while the vehicle is driving us home...they have those treadmills made for working at computer. Now we just need one for the car...or van.
That's a really good idea. I remember going to some New Age/music festivals in the UK in the 90's where the generators for the sound systems were pedal powered.

I did a 45 minute yoga flow yesterday. Going to do another one after I finish work this afternoon. It will be dark by the time I finish, so no walk today. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow.

:crossfingers:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent work, guys! Welcome, LittleShadow LittleShadow !

Well, I got to my 18 millions steps last Monday.....and haven't done a step since. Not a great start to my 2019. This cold/flu/thing really kicked my butt. Sunday is the start to my FitBit week, so I'm going to try to see what I can step, starting tomorrow and try to get back into this. I'm feeling better, so we'll see.

Keep it up! foxxycat foxxycat Kudos on the slimcycle! You go!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, no. Glad you're feeling better, Winchester Winchester . Your poor Fitbit must be wondering what happened to you. ;)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I had taken my Fitbit off last week because I knew I was feeling so bad I'd never walk much. It was just ugly. I spent a lot of time in bed or on the couch. I had the Fitbit on my dish in the bathroom; one morning Rick came out of the bathroom and said, "OK, I know you're sick. When I see your Fitbit, but I don't see you, there's something wrong!" :) And not walking doesn't do much for my resting heart rate; when I put my Fitbit on Sunday morning, I had a resting heart rate of 61! That's unheard of for me. It's usually down in the mid-50's. I knew I had to get back on track.

Monday -
20,279 steps for the day = 10.57 miles
31 floors
116 active minutes

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you're back on your feet Winchester Winchester I've had a couple of good walks this week.

Sunday. One hour walk and one 45 minute yoga session.
Monday. One hour walk and one hour of yoga.
Tuesday. One hour 15 minutes of walking (Up a very steep hill!) and one hour of yoga.

How's the foot foxxycat foxxycat ?
rubysmama rubysmama did you get all your painting finished now?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You're doing great Norachan Norachan ; glad that toe is healing OK and you're able to walk.

Tuesday -
20,685 steps for the day = 10.78 miles
30 floors
145 active minutes

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama did you get all your painting finished now?
No. I put everything away before Christmas, so the place would look neat and tidy, and now I need to re-motivate myself to get started again.

For exercise, I went for a short walk outside yesterday, but it was cold. :cold:

It snowed a bit overnight, and now it's raining, so had the joyful job of shoveling slush this morning. :( Spring'll soon be here, right. :daisy:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama It's downright frigid around here, too. The wind is howling around the house. We're getting lake-effect flurries. But Spring will be here before we know it! Honest! What will probably happen, though, is we'll fall right into summer without having much in the way of a spring.

I'm to the point where I don't care how I get my steps in anymore. Whether it's on the treadmill, walking around the house and up and down the stairs, or walking outside, steps are steps. I keep checking my FitBit and I'm doing well as far as Cardio and even getting some good Peak minutes in every day.

Wednesday -
20,738 steps for the day = 10.81 miles
33 floors
117 active minutes

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thursday -
21,301 steps for the day = 11.10 miles
30 floors
133 active minutes

Friday -
19,005 steps for the day = 9.88 miles
25 floors
108 active minutes

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're doing really well Winchester.

I haven't had any walks since Tuesday, but I've done at least an hour of yoga every day.

It's really cold here now, maybe we're finally going to get some snow.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I got a fitbit for Christmas and most of the days it hasn't been happy with me. :lol: I haven't gone for a walk in about a week if I had to guess. We had windows and doors put in the house this week and having to move everything around left us too sore to move. I did well with flights of stairs, but not actual steps. It's 16 degrees and windy out there today so I don't think an actual walk is going to happen. We still have A LOT to move and put back and clean around the house. We are going to Dick's today to hopefully order a treadmill. It's the last day of the sale.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're having flip floppy weather from warm to cold, and snow to rain. Today is freezing again. :cold:

Congrats on the new Fitbit AbbysMom AbbysMom . Hopefully it will be happier with you soon. Don't let it talk to Winchester Winchester 's Fitbit though, or it will be super jealous. ;)

Mine's been in more of a couch potato mode, and we're lucky to get 6000 steps a day. :sigh: It still annoys me that pushing a cart around the grocery store doesn't record steps. :mad:

Norachan Norachan : about yoga - yeah still planning to start "soon". Any tips on how to follow a DVD when you're laying on a yoga mat and can't quite see the tv without stopping what you're trying to do. :rolleyes2:

Status
Not open for further replies.