The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys just not motivated at ALL. all this snow and cold is honestly pi$$ing me off! I just want to ride my bike!

Today it was 28 and took the bike out anyways=sunny and cold windy. got 4 miles in. Lost my endurance. boo hisss. Tomorrow is more stupid SNOW. 8 to 12 inches. I had to ride today-because it may be another week before I can ride=everytime I ride it snows!!!

Been watching way too much tv lately. So I may be working late tomorrow if our 2nd shift guy doesn't come in-so not sure I will have time to shovel. At least we have the snow blower-he doesn't mind doing it-it's the deck and walkways that are a major pain in butt.

jtbo jtbo I can't be around any smokers otherwise I cough uncontrollably. I find it incredibly annoying in the summer when I am riding my bike and some car drives by and all I smell is stupid cigarettes.

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

There's nothing I hate more in the world.:mad2::nono::nono:
everytime I ride it snows!!!
It always rains after I wash my car.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I managed to do at least an hour and sometimes 90 minutes of yoga on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Today I had a very scary 40 minute bike ride. There is thick ice every where and it's really windy. Watching your life flash before your eyes is good exercise, right?

I also did 45 minutes of gentle yoga once I got home, to recover from the bike ride.

Keep going everyone. Spring is nearly here.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Monday -
3 miles on the treadmill
11/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour (I would have had 12, but was sitting on my butt in a meeting from 4:00 to 5:30)
14,774 steps for the day

One thing I've noticed is that even a couple of days where I walk is enough to lower my resting heart rate (which is good). Last week when I didn't walk, my resting heart rate was 55-56 bpm. Yesterday, it had dropped to 54 and this morning, it's down to 53 bpm. I like it to be in the low-to-mid 50's.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As of yesterday, I've gone for 4 walks this month, so that works out to once every 3 days. And the longest was only 27 minutes. :( So not great, but I keep telling myself, it's better than nothing. :)
Today's temperature is back to below freezing, and windy, so I'll need motivation to head out today. :cold:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to do at least an hour and sometimes 90 minutes of yoga on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Today I had a very scary 40 minute bike ride. There is thick ice every where and it's really windy. Watching your life flash before your eyes is good exercise, right?

I also did 45 minutes of gentle yoga once I got home, to recover from the bike ride.

Keep going everyone. Spring is nearly here.
I did 40 minute ride too, temp did go to around 0 and people were slipping around, I had biggest grin in months and ride like a maniac, enjoying it like a kid. Somehow I think that only one of us is sane, which might not be me:
upload_2018-2-14_0-23-1.png

Oh there were several other cyclists out there, two were real enthusiasts riding quite fast, I did overtake everyone and when I had to make 90 degree turn, I did not slow much, I chose to slide around the corners, much more fun that way.

Burned 758 Calories there, that was 1137 Calories per hour pace, flat out. At the beginning and the end there was slower part as it is needed to warm up and cool down.

Also at middle I visited grocery store as I was just getting my groceries.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get myself a bicycle. Used to ride a lot in my college days, then my bike got stolen and I never did get around to replacing it. Part of my problem is deciding on the type and style I want now... there are so many to choose from. My SIL and BIL had a bike business for a while, and I went to a bike convention with them one year. It was a bit overwhelming... just a bit.

Anyway, today I did a 6.5 mile run/walk in 1hr 43min, shaving off 7 minutes of my previous time. So, :cheerleader:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mountain bike is nice as it can do anything, just replace tires and it is enough good road bike, put some knobbly tires and you can ride on trails, it also stays upright much better than other bike types.

Of course it is not quite as light as road bike or cyclocross, but everything is built bit stronger so they last longer.

I had hybrid bike and mountain bike in use at the same time, but there really was not much difference in speed, even hybrid was a lot lighter, mountain bike was more steady and more nimble at the same time than hybrid bike.

But if you need to carry bike to apartment and if for example cyclocross bike would do (gravel roads, but not trails), then that might be good choice.

Luckily I don't need to carry my bike many floors, that might become an exercise very soon! :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tuesday -

3.5 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
15,900 steps for the day - 7.53 miles

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Mountain bike is nice as it can do anything, just replace tires and it is enough good road bike, put some knobbly tires and you can ride on trails, it also stays upright much better than other bike types.

Of course it is not quite as light as road bike or cyclocross, but everything is built bit stronger so they last longer.

I had hybrid bike and mountain bike in use at the same time, but there really was not much difference in speed, even hybrid was a lot lighter, mountain bike was more steady and more nimble at the same time than hybrid bike.

But if you need to carry bike to apartment and if for example cyclocross bike would do (gravel roads, but not trails), then that might be good choice.

Luckily I don't need to carry my bike many floors, that might become an exercise very soon! :D

Yeah, I've never really been a trail rider, and I don't think I'm about to start at my age with creaky knees. lol And I'm not really worried about speed.

But even street riding around here can get weird, as there are many streets with uncompleted dirt/sand/gravel shoulders, several undeveloped sand/dirt lots, interspersed with actual sidewalks, and very few bike lanes. The hills are relatively low inclines, a few bridges here and there. So, yeah, a lightweight skinny tire speed/street bike won't handle the variety of terrain, but a mountain bike might be a little too heavy for my needs.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're braver than I an jtbo jtbo I ride along slowly, gripping the handlebars as hard as I can going "OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!"

I did 90 minutes of advanced Vinyassa yesterday. This morning I did a one hour power flow with lots of arm balances and inversions. It was hard! I think I'd pretty much turned to jelly by the end of it.

:lol:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
weight training today

We started out with a cardio test... go full on, all out, as fast/hard as possible, on the elliptical for .25 mi. Started at 160 strides per min, but ended with 140 from fatigue. Forgot to note my total time, but my heart rate was 175 by the end... literally pounding in my throat. Oy! It was the most intense burst I've ever done because it was all out; usually I set a pace to go for longer distance/time.

So then we did a variety of combos, lower and upper body. I've never really had strong arms, so upper body weights are a bit of a challenge. Then, after fatiguing my arms, he had me do a plank... I didn't really think that was very fair, lol. I'm not very good at plank anyway, but slowly adding a few more seconds each time. So. okay. I keep going.

Oh, and Norachan Norachan , thank you for posting those yoga links, I finally got around to checking a few out the other day... I've been kinda stuck with beginning poses for a long time now, time to up my game there.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're braver than I an jtbo jtbo I ride along slowly, gripping the handlebars as hard as I can going "OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!"

I did 90 minutes of advanced Vinyassa yesterday. This morning I did a one hour power flow with lots of arm balances and inversions. It was hard! I think I'd pretty much turned to jelly by the end of it.

:lol:
Secret is not to ride the bike, let the bike ride you!

Loose firm grip :D

Hip bones and core muscles are which does a lot of staying upright and whole that balancing stuff, for me with MTB I don't really need to use much of hands at all.

Over 280 sharp metal spikes at front tire do help a bit too, makes smooth ice to thing look forward to as it just means can ride faster :D :D :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thursday -
3.5 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
14,820 steps for the day - 7.02 miles

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's pretty good going Winchester Winchester .

jtbo jtbo I think having a shopping basket full of groceries probably affects how stable the bike is. Spikes in the tires sound like a great idea.

I just did a 30 minute power flow yesterday, as it was my day off and I thought I deserved a break. One hour vinyassa flow today.

furmonster mom furmonster mom glad the links were useful.

:thumbsup:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan foxxycat foxxycat

This is how you ride at winter, at 6:30 I overtake one bicycle rider, you can get the idea of speed difference from there.

She doesn't sing evil things, just things that are like straight from my soul or something, first song for example:
I just was going to bring a gift in haste I feel a thrill with joy What a curious brilliant world.

Wheels go around at high speed You express heartbreaking I've done it, I've done it I'll show you in front of your nose Before your eyes... Before your eyes You forget, you forget, you forget me I was just a sewer rat But I wanna, I wanna, I wanna dance with you The drains are constriction.
The strangersare condemnation I forgot, I forgot, I forgot being Finally I was trod down by dreadful savage people.
Even if I become like a paper It's sure to maintain myself.
My corpse can't be returned to dust.
Everybody has gone their courses Exploded, unacted I've done them now I was just a clown So I wanna, I wanna, I wanna hide at once .
No one will hear my shout No one will see my hurt I asked, I asked, I asked being I was just a sewer rat.
But I wanna, I wanna, I wanna dance with you.
The drains are constriction The strangers are condemnation I forgot, I forgot, I forgot being I was just a sewer rat But I wanna, I wanna, I wanna dance with you.
The drains are constriction The strangers are condemnation I forgot, I forgot, I forgot being No one will hear my shout No one will see my hurt But I wanna, I wanna, I wanna dance with you Before your eyes Before I die Before your eyes You forget, you forget me.

Oh yes, backpack filled with 5kg of groceries at that point, you just have pedal little harder with groceries, not much other difference :)
Temperature was -12C I didn't check before I went out and thought it would be -6C or something like that, didn't really notice difference from some reason...

I had to ride beginning all over again after riding whole loop, because camera failed to co-operate, it was bit harder, but it seems I still got same average speed as first time, but that is why it is showing 44minutes and so on.

I just don't understand people, they stand at middle of road not doing anything or moving or anything really, they are just standing there, without slightest thought occurring to them that there might be one more person in world that might use bike path. It is then hard to know which side one could pass as gap is nearly equally small on both sides.
They might jump one or other direction all of sudden without looking, despite first standing there like a tree for very long time.

Ok, 2 seconds is very very long time for me when I'm riding, everything is like a super slow motion around me, even I'm not moving that fast.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks like a lot of fun jtbo jtbo

I did and hour of yoga on Saturday and Sunday. Today I actually got out for a walk. 90 minutes walking, some of it up hill, then 40 minutes yoga after that.

Peak pose today was Titibasana. I can't get my legs quite as high as that, but I can hold for about 5 seconds.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
jtbo jtbo you are going WAY too fast for me on snow! my bike sucks on snow-but you do have the correct tires-so I probably would go just as fast..................................:anticipation::runningcat:
It does look fun, doesn't it? I'd just have trouble stopping, that's all.

:dizzycat:

90 minutes of Vinyassa flows on Tuesday and Wednesday, lots of arm balances and a few inversions.

1 hour of yoga this morning, focusing on core and twists.

Keep going everyone.

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Status
Not open for further replies.