The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've walked 3 days in a row! Only 25-ish minutes each day, but better than nothing.

I can't imagine biking on snow. I don't even go for walks when the sidewalks are snowy!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite little, just groceries from the shop.
upload_2018-2-23_1-19-1.png

There is first part of the ride for your entertainment, two of the fastest gears are not working now, so I kinda lack of speed, also it was so cold that my forehead was freezing really bad despite two layers of beanies, so I just did ride slow.

Rear tire is actually made in France, it is not very grippy, on wet pavement it slips, but when it is cold like now, anything grips quite well. Tomorrow I try to ride without spike tire at front, those French tires are named Hutchinson Cobra, thin sidewall and foldable, they are not good on gravel, or on pavement, or on trails, but when it is colder than -12C they work fine on snow.

Race king with Black Chili rubber would be my choice normally, but I would need to buy new ones and I'm pretty broke at the moment, so I'm running with broken gears and what tire I happen to have.

I think that record for that first section is around 3 minutes with more gears and Conti tires on pavement.

With spike tire at front it is about same as summer time, only real tight corners at insane speed are which might be bit exciting, but stopping is as quick as during the summer, front brake power is not enough for me even at winter it seems.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another ride done, somehow it felt kinda hard.
upload_2018-2-23_15-32-57.png

I did have those French slippery tires on today, but grip was just fine, no spikes needed as there was not much ice. I should ride more below green zone, but it is kinda hard to do, I would be so slow.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another ride, this was bit longer, I left out warmup and cool down.
upload_2018-2-24_21-44-0.png

It was kind cold as we are having a cold snap, but nothing too bad as I had enough clothing on. Somehow it was very difficult and I just didn't feel like pushing very hard, still it was harder ride than what I should be doing.

Stupid traffic lights, there is no cars passing as they wait in red lights, I have to wait in red lights and when I have green, then some cars have green so that only thing traffic lights do is cause higher risk road crossing. I had to wait in too many of them today, kids were too nearby.

Going to have a rest day tomorrow.

Oh, random question, how many of you know that olive oil works a lot better than anything else for dry skin during the winter? It also helps with acne I hear.
You just put few drops on paper towel and then wipe your face and hands that dry up with it, very thin amount is enough, I swear it took 10 years off my skin in 2 days.
I use it for a night, need to wash pillow cover daily, but it is worth it I think.
Probably everyone else knows about it already, but in case someone is as uncivilized as I am, you might try that.

Also use blend that is low odor/taste, else you might end up smelling olives, not sure if that would be bad though :D

I found out afterwards of doing human experimenting on myself, that some people have known it for a long time:
Benefits of Olive Oil for Skin

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of using coconut oil on skin and hair. I tried it once on my hair... just seemed to make my hair oily... but my hands were super soft afterwards, lol. I've also heard of folks using avocado oil for skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've done avocado face masks before, they worked pretty well. I'll try the olive oil trick. Takes 10 years off, eh?

:yess:

I spent three hours cleaning the house on Friday, which was a great work out. I did 30 minutes of yoga too.

Working yesterday and today but I did 40 minutes power flow in my lunch-break yesterday. Just finished another 40-minute lunch break flow today, think I'll do some arm balance and inversion practice after work this evening.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I've never been much for a lot of physical activity but I did recently buy a recumbent exercise bike. I'm sure it will be a great way to get some exercise.... Once I actually get on it! :crackup:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've done avocado face masks before, they worked pretty well. I'll try the olive oil trick. Takes 10 years off, eh?:yess:
So if I do the face mask twice, I'll lose 20 years? Done! :)

3 miles on the treadmill this morning

I realized something that is interesting (to me). The week before last, I was eating properly, hitting the treadmill every morning, doing the 12/12 active hours, drinking lots of water, and going to sleep at a decent time. My resting heart was 52. Last week? I did everything wrong: no treadmill, no active hours, lots of Girl Scout cookies, soda with caffeine and no water, staying up later. I ended the week with an active heart rate of 59. Not good at all, the lower the resting heart rate, the better.

So yesterday I hit the treadmill for 3.5 miles and tried to watch what I ate. This morning I hit the treadmill for 3 miles. My resting heart rate this morning already went down to 57.

This is a lesson.....if I only pay attention!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I've been buried in some books, and haven't exercised quite as much as I should over the last couple weeks.
I did manage to get in a couple hikes, and still went to my weight training.

So yesterday I decided to get back on track and go for a run/walk. I changed up my pattern a bit and actually shaved off 5 minutes from the 3.5 mile route, doing it in 55 min.
Today, I figured I'd try the shorter 2.5 mi route. I actually added a little more to it, making it 2.9 miles and finished in 47 min. But boy howdy, are my quads screaming at me!

I think I'll make tomorrow an easy yoga day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still doing my short, but daily, walks. :walk:
What do you guys use to track your mileage, times, etc.?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just use google maps-when I walk/ride I go look up the distance online=I don't have a fitbit etc-if you have a smart phone there's a dozen apps you can use-I don't like to use too many apps=burns battery power but the newer phones you can tell apps that run in the background to go to sleep.

I usually just say I did x for z amount of minutes...

getting ready for my 30 min bike ride-meeting afterwards about layoffs-I don't think I have to worry but there are several dozen folks who will be let go next month. So I need to exercise to keep the happy hormones up...

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still doing my short, but daily, walks. :walk:
What do you guys use to track your mileage, times, etc.?
Polar M400 with a chest strap. Perhaps most motivating thing I have found, but then again I'm kind of data nerd.

Web service is at least 50% of that product, they call it Polar Flow, which is super useful, it even tells if you are working out enough or too little, or even if you work out too much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just use google maps-when I walk/ride I go look up the distance online=I don't have a fitbit etc-if you have a smart phone there's a dozen apps you can use-I don't like to use too many apps=burns battery power but the newer phones you can tell apps that run in the background to go to sleep.

I usually just say I did x for z amount of minutes...

getting ready for my 30 min bike ride-meeting afterwards about layoffs-I don't think I have to worry but there are several dozen folks who will be let go next month. So I need to exercise to keep the happy hormones up...
I hope everything went ok for you with the layoff meeting.

I currently track my mileage/mph with Google maps too, but am thinking I'd like something that can track my heart-rate, etc.

Polar M400 with a chest strap. Perhaps most motivating thing I have found, but then again I'm kind of data nerd.

Web service is at least 50% of that product, they call it Polar Flow, which is super useful, it even tells if you are working out enough or too little, or even if you work out too much.
So the M400 is similar to a Fitbit, right?

I just use the pedometer app on my iPhone, and I, errmm, look at the clock before I head out. :crazy:
Like foxxycat foxxycat I can't have too many apps on my phone, as my phone's battery also runs down quickly.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything went ok for you with the layoff meeting.

I currently track my mileage/mph with Google maps too, but am thinking I'd like something that can track my heart-rate, etc.

So the M400 is similar to a Fitbit, right?

Like foxxycat foxxycat I can't have too many apps on my phone, as my phone's battery also runs down quickly.
Kinda, but it has GPS logging and chest strap for HR monitoring, there are newer models without Chest strap that measure pulse from wrist (which is not as accurate and afaik you have to keep wrist band quite tight).

They are somewhat different though, bit different kind of statistics etc.
It is possible to sync everything to Strava, which has few different features, that is automatic syncing and there is map in Polar flow, you can choose if your exercise will appear on map or not etc.

My pathetic 2 years with M400, I really should avoid these winters, somehow :fear:
upload_2018-2-28_7-49-33.png
upload_2018-2-28_7-50-48.png

Last year was a disaster for me, this winter is not good, but has been bit better than previous one. Issue is that low intensity cycling is not happening, I would need to go really really slow for that and simply can't, but that is what I should be doing.

My activity level for this month is really poor, need to start doing something for this, lot of inactivity stamps too:
upload_2018-2-28_8-0-13.png

I'm also having issue where my throat gets really sore when sleeping, so can't sleep well because of that, even eyes are fully red at mornings, so it is horrible at best.

Oh and it was -17F this morning, not really inspiring huge amounts of motivation to go out there. :coldcat:

My recovery status however says that today I would need to go out there, hopefully it will get bit warmer after noon. Must try to go slow again, greatest challenge really is to go slow with these feet, or head, not sure which :runaround:
upload_2018-2-28_8-5-27.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a good lesson about your heart rate Winchester Winchester Exercise really does help, right? You just need to have a few days of indulgence now and then, so your body knows how good it's getting it on the days you do eat well and exercise.

;)

furmonster mom furmonster mom I envy you your runs. It's still too icy and muddy here, but I'm hoping I can get some short runs in again next month.

I woke up with a really stiff neck on Monday morning. I spent a lot of time back-packing when I was in my 20's and my neck still hasn't forgiven me for all those nights sleeping sitting up on a bus or train.

I did 30 minutes of gentle neck and shoulder opening yoga, then walked for an hour.

Still stiff on Tuesday. I did 90 minutes of yoga working on opening the hips and back. Today I did 90 minutes of advanced deep stretch poses. Almost back to normal with me neck, but I guess I'll have to avoid doing any headstands for a while.

jtbo jtbo still so cold, huh? We haven't had such a bad winter here. It's still below freezing at night but it's been around 2 or 3 degrees C every day recently.

rubysmama rubysmama I don't have any gadgets, I just time how long I keep going. I can usually fit in 90 minutes of exercise most days. I juts measure it by how exhausted I feel when I'm done.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Overall, I like my Fitbit Blaze. I loved the Fitbit Flex, but it didn't track heart rate and, because of issues with blood pressure, I've started to keep track of heart rate while walking as well as my resting heart rate. Is it accurate? I don't know, but most of the time, I think it's in the ball park. The Blaze tracks my steps, mileage, active hours (I have my active hours set between 5 am and 5 pm and I get in at least 250 steps each hour for it to count as active. I need 250, but most of the time, I'll walk 500 steps.)

The Fitbit keeps a record of everything. I got it back in December 2016 and I can go back to that time and compare my resting heart rate to what it is now; it's actually lower now than it was then and that's good. I can also sync the Fitbit into My Fitness Pal to keep track of what I'm eating and drinking. The Blaze gives me a lot of information, but again, I don't really know how accurate it is. It goes through funky spells where I'll be on the treadmill and, according to the Blaze, my heartbeat will shoot up to 146; I know that's not accurate. I've even done the "15-second test" where you measure your pulse for 15 seconds, multiply by 4. When the Blaze goes sky-high, I'll check my pulse and it's always lower. I've even asked on the Fitbit community and there are others with the same problem. Yet, I still think that knowing something is better than knowing nothing, if that makes any sense.

I didn't walk on Tuesday or today, largely because of other stuff going on. I am keeping track of those 12 active hours, if nothing else, and I hope to hit the treadmill on Thursday morning.

Sometimes I think I would sell my soul to be able to run. Just go outside and run, without thinking of knees or hips or ankles. Just.....go. I walk fairly fast, but it's not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.