The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We had snow yesterday, so I shoveled for about an hour. And we had some more overnight, so I'll be doing a bit more shoveling this morning.

I've always wanted to do yoga. I've even looked for beginner DVDs but never found one that looked good. There's lots of yoga classes around, but I'd need a pre-beginners class, I think. ;)
There's lots of good stuff on YouTube. I really like this teacher.

A few others you could check out are Fightmaster Yoga (So much better than it sounds, I promise) or Yoga With Kassandra.

Fightmaster Yoga

Yoga with Kassandra

I took a day off today as I had so many chores that needed doing, but I'll be back tomorrow.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited at grocery store that is bit further away, I did ride slow, at least attempted to, but it was somehow quite hard work and HR was quite high.
upload_2018-1-31_16-58-50.png

I don't know why, but I encounter smokers constantly when I visit grocery store and 9/10 is young female person, it kinda makes me sad, as when those are older effects of smoking starts to cause all kind of issues.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're welcome rubysmama rubysmama :wave3:

jtbo jtbo are people allowed to smoke inside grocery stores in your country? All shops and restaurants are No Smoking over here. I think a lot of young girls smoke because it helps the stay skinny. Smells awful though.

I woke up to more snow this morning. I spent one hour clearing the deck and the front path, then had a hot bath to defrost myself. 90 minutes yoga after that. Very tired now, I think I might need an early night tonight.

Winchester Winchester foxxycat foxxycat AbbysMom AbbysMom How's it going with you?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm having motivation issues as well. My exercise of choice is walking and the weather hasn't been favorable for it. I hate my exercise bike. I have gone to the local shopping mall and done laps inside there a few times. My husband and I are seriously considering join the local YMCA. They have an indoor track. They are having an Open House tomorrow and we are going to go check it out.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We finally got out and walked yesterday. We dealt with 2 snows that lingered on the ground. I had to recover from some health issues, then hubby pulled a muscle trying not to fall on the ice. But it was nice yesterday. I took along some cat food for the barn cats we see. They came running and we could tell they had missed us.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
okay... so, math is hard! lol
I'm actually 2 lbs from my next "mini goal", and 7 lbs away from my first "real goal"...

Had a bit of setback... or at least a stall in forward progress...
I got sucked into a "post apocolyptic pseudo Arthurian alien space bats" book series (Emberverse series). It's 11 books (or more?), and I'm one of those people who sits down and reads a 700 page book in 2 days because I can't just stop at one chapter....

But I did get in some pilates this morning. Moved from video to cards, so I could get more reps in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know what you mean about lacking motivation. This time of the year it's so cold and dark and nasty, all I want to do is curl up on the sofa with a good book or a few DVDs. I try to do yoga every day, but at this year it's hard to get warm enough to make any progress. I'm not attempting any new poses, just doing my regular routine to prevent rigor mortis from setting in.

o_O

At least I get to shovel snow most mornings.

That's great about the weight loss furmonster mom furmonster mom

:clap2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I keep trying to motivate myself to go outside and walk, but the weather's been crazy. Was warm last weekend, then had snow Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday was 9C and raining. And overnight the temps dropped to -14C. :cold: Definitely not a good walking day. Tomorrow it will be above freezing again, but back to rain. :sigh:

So maybe it's time to consider yoga. I've had a yoga mat for years, but it's still rolled up! Hopefully it hasn't gone rotten! If I can get it unrolled, I will have to try one of those Youtube videos.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is foxxycat foxxycat ?

Winchester Winchester I guess this is a club of without motivation, but we should try not to be in that club, just foot front, walking like a zombie, if nothing else.

Norachan Norachan People are not allowed to smoke indoors anymore, but what they do is they smoke right at entrance of the grocery store, where is stickers at the door that no smoking is allowed. So it is always holding the breath for 20-30 meters out of 50 meters that I have for closest grocery store.

I really should visit one that is further away for exercise.

Today was very beautiful day with sunshine and everything, but I did stay indoors, now it is already that cursed and blessed darkness that has swallowed the world.

I try to visit grocery store today, one that is further away, despite the darkness and -15C coldness, but right now I'm baking pizza and breakfast buns.

It might be 10pm until I get to grocery store or then I visit there after I shape breakfast buns, while they rise in sauna. Yes, that is my proofing chamber (or whatever that is called where you put bread to rise), there is heated floor and awfully hot, something like 24C or maybe even more, while at living quarters I like to keep lower temperature, below 21C so that it is nice to sleep.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry guys just not motivated at ALL. all this snow and cold is honestly pi$$ing me off! I just want to ride my bike!

Today it was 28 and took the bike out anyways=sunny and cold windy. got 4 miles in. Lost my endurance. boo hisss. Tomorrow is more stupid SNOW. 8 to 12 inches. I had to ride today-because it may be another week before I can ride=everytime I ride it snows!!!

Been watching way too much tv lately. So I may be working late tomorrow if our 2nd shift guy doesn't come in-so not sure I will have time to shovel. At least we have the snow blower-he doesn't mind doing it-it's the deck and walkways that are a major pain in butt.

jtbo jtbo I can't be around any smokers otherwise I cough uncontrollably. I find it incredibly annoying in the summer when I am riding my bike and some car drives by and all I smell is stupid cigarettes.

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

There's nothing I hate more in the world.:mad2::nono::nono:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... I found out why I was craving chocolate and salty things all last week... and here I thought I was done with that messy business. Hard to feel motivated to exercise when I'm all bloated and crampy. bleh.
But I did get in a 3.5 mile walk/run yesterday, even shaved off about 7 mins. Will probably give it another go tonight. I'm thinking of focusing more on that to build up my lung capacity for hiking season.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing 60 minute power flow yoga routines this week. Lots of twists and balances and core work. It's been hard!

Yesterday I went for a long walk instead. They still haven't cleared snow on all the tracks. In places it is still knee deep and in other spots it has started to melt so you have to wade through mud and slush. It was nice to get outside into the fresh air though.

Today I did a 90 minute vinyassa flow. More snow forecast for the end of the week. Mr Husband has gone snow boarding, but I don't like winter sports so much. Only another month to get through and then it will start to thaw.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Monday - Rick brought me into work
11 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour

Tuesday -
3 miles on the treadmill
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
13,702 steps for the day

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It actually got above freezing here this afternoon. Maybe winter is almost over.

I've had two long walks this week, Tuesday and today. I've been doing about an hour of yoga every day, trying to alternate between core work, balances and twists. I think it's doing something. I'm very aware of my obliques and abs at the moment, which must mean they're being used.

I have the feeling this will all seem so much easier once spring is here.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite low on motivation, but I got groceries once with a bike, these uphills are really killing me, not that downhills would be much better, maybe there is other reason why it is so hard :p
upload_2018-2-11_20-29-0.png

Also for once I got almost round one made, they tend to end up weird shapes, but this came out bit better:
upload_2018-2-11_20-31-45.png

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Hike today
6.2 miles
73 floors
according to the app on my phone
took me 5 hours... The climb up was not bad, but down... lots of bouldering and wash walking

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
jtbo jtbo nice pizza! I'll take a slice!

I managed two miles on the treadmill yesterday morning while doing laundry. At this point? That's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.