Terrified Of Fireworks. Advice Appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 8:30 pm. Last Saturday I gave Gypsy 1/4 tablet. I don't know if it was the Alprazolam or the catnip toy I'd picked up earlier for her or both, but she got pretty loopy. She has never cared much for catnip but she went crazy over the high quality Cosmic Catnip. We hardly heard any fireworks. Sunday I went ahead and picked up some the NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin 2-in-1 Support tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 mentioned. Gypsy ate 1 with no problem then turned her nose up at the 2nd one, made her sleepy. It poured down rain and we didn't hear any fireworks at all. Tonite she turned her nose up again so I crumbled one up in her food with a few treats crumbled on top too and she ate most of it, sleepy girl again. Heard a very few pops very far off...
Update: 11:40 pm Just now we heard a medium BOOM and Gypsy just yawned. YaY for NaturVet Quiet Moments.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no solution other than to say that my cat runs for cover under one of our beds, just as she does for thunder.

I hate doing it, but I just let Feeby go under the bed and come out when she's ready. She's pretty stubborn (like most cats!!), so I figure I can do no better for her than what she has decided on her own as the best way to 'protect' herself. She's 14+ and this has gone on her entire life. We live in Florida, so you can imagine how often she under the bed in the summer!

Glad to hear yours in not affected by storms, so I understand why you think the fireworks are of a particular concern.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no solution other than to say that my cat runs for cover under one of our beds, just as she does for thunder.

I hate doing it, but I just let Feeby go under the bed and come out when she's ready. She's pretty stubborn (like most cats!!), so I figure I can do no better for her than what she has decided on her own as the best way to 'protect' herself. She's 14+ and this has gone on her entire life. We live in Florida, so you can imagine how often she under the bed in the summer!

Glad to hear yours in not affected by storms, so I understand why you think the fireworks are of a particular concern.
Good on ya for letting her choose when, where and how long to take refuge. Cats are denning animals and in the wild, they seek respite from heat, rain, noise and sources of danger. It's natural for them to want to protect themselves. My furmily are 10, 13, and 14, and they definitely know what's best for themselves in that department, too! :winkcat:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Not much scares our brave little girl but when something does and she hides we leave her be. However the falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in when she was a neighborhood stray is right across the alley from the idiots who have been shooting loud fireworks around and on the 4th of July for years. In addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. She was so terrified last year that she crouched under the love seat and shook in fear every night. So this year I took precautions. Tonite there have been quite a lot of noise in the middle distance. I'd gotten maybe one NaturVet down her earlier and she's doing pretty well, roaming around but not cowering in fear.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much scares our brave little girl but when something does and she hides we leave her be. However the falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in when she was a neighborhood stray is right across the alley from the idiots who have been shooting loud fireworks around and on the 4th of July for years. In addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. She was so terrified last year that she crouched under the love seat and shook in fear every night. So this year I took precautions. Tonite there have been quite a lot of noise in the middle distance. I'd gotten maybe one NaturVet down her earlier and she's doing pretty well, roaming around but not cowering in fear.
Poor Gypsy! It's an ordeal, even for us in a city where fireworks are illegal -- because we live so close to the border with L.A. proper, and they're not illegal there. I'm so glad that the chews seem to be helping her! and we'll all get through this, god willing!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
9pm. :sigh: D@mn. About 8:20ish I was loading the dishwasher with Miss Gypsy supervising when a string of fire crackers went off close by and she disappeared. I can't find her anywhere. I don't want to make her come out of where she is hidden I just want to know where she is. We have lots of loud ones going off in our neighborhood now around 3 sides of the apartment building.:fireblob: All blinds and drapes are closed with three tv's, 2 fans and 3 window A/C's going and they are still overwhelming and its not yet even dark yet. I just wish I knew where she is hiding. :(

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 All I can say, is you're not alone. Here's Big Boy, aka Mr. Hide, Dr. Mental, etc., hiding from the raging artillery yesterday night in Orange County California. All or almost all, were public fireworks from the dozens of cities that dot the coastal plain. Several hours of steady, staccato thunderous drumbeats. Fortunately, none were right nearby.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping everyone *eFURRYone* came through the night's noise okay. It wasn't even dark when we started hearing them, and people were still letting them off somewhere audible at 11 when we went to bed. Pretty much overkill, I'd say, but then, it's not my thing. I tried giving calming treats to my three -- they ALL refused them. And they acted like nothing was going on at all, except for Suha, who hid under the bed the entire time, but came up to join Tarifa and me at bedtime. Elvis was at large in the wilds of the house, catting as only he can. :winkcat:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two were okay despite it being the loudest Fourth I can remember here. That is, until later on when the yokels across the street started shooting off aerial fireworks. The cats were upstairs in bed with me and it was the flashes of light that spooked them. They ran off and I didn't see them until they came to give me my morning wake-up call.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody:hellocomputer: I never did locate her even though it quieted down around 11:paperbag:. Scott got home from work around 11:30 and she emerged for some loving strokes and chin rubs but fled again until 12:30 when more went off. New neighborhood idiots this year were firing low rising aerials off in the middle of the street! I was going to call police but was afraid of retaliation. They left a mess of beer cans and firework debris in the front yard of a business and in the street. Scott said we also had a small fire in the middle of the alley a block over.:doh: I would like to give her some calming treats the next few nights but she doesn't like the taste, I wish they weren't so crumbly so I could cut them up and give them to her like I do her pills, one hand on the top of her head to tip it back while placing the pill in her mouth with the other, so glad she doesn't bite since my fingers are in there pretty far. She gets a treat before and after so she is really good taking meds. She hates the taste of the 1/4th pill of the anxiety medicine, boy do I get a dirty look! So I'm going to try wrapping it in a piece of cheese, it's very small, the next time she gets one. Wish I knew what the idiots around the neighborhood are going to do since I need to dose her before anything starts. :bliss:
I'm afraid we will be having them thru the weekend.:sigh:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody:hellocomputer: I never did locate her even though it quieted down around 11:paperbag:. Scott got home from work around 11:30 and she emerged for some loving strokes and chin rubs but fled again until 12:30 when more went off. New neighborhood idiots this year were firing low rising aerials off in the middle of the street! I was going to call police but was afraid of retaliation. They left a mess of beer cans and firework debris in the front yard of a business and in the street. Scott said we also had a small fire in the middle of the alley a block over.:doh: I would like to give her some calming treats the next few nights but she doesn't like the taste, I wish they weren't so crumbly so I could cut them up and give them to her like I do her pills, one hand on the top of her head to tip it back while placing the pill in her mouth with the other, so glad she doesn't bite since my fingers are in there pretty far. She gets a treat before and after so she is really good taking meds. She hates the taste of the 1/4th pill of the anxiety medicine, boy do I get a dirty look! So I'm going to try wrapping it in a piece of cheese, it's very small, the next time she gets one. Wish I knew what the idiots around the neighborhood are going to do since I need to dose her before anything starts. :bliss:
I'm afraid we will be having them thru the weekend.:sigh:
I empathize so very much, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 as I have lived in neighborhoods where this happens for years and am SO relieved not to have to endure it any more because this is a good city to live in as far as cats are concerned (and also people, for the most part). I hope they stop soon and find something more constructive (and quiet) to do. :vibes::hangin::goodluck:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours have been rescheduled for tonight at 10 p.m. due to Mother Nature's sound and light show last night. So we will have to see what happens. At least I haven't heard a peep from the rock bands. They must have turned the sound down from past years.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours have been rescheduled for tonight at 10 p.m. due to Mother Nature's sound and light show last night. So we will have to see what happens. At least I haven't heard a peep from the rock bands. They must have turned the sound down from past years.
*From your keyboard...:vibes:* Hope the celebration is kept to a dull roar, too.