Terrified Of Fireworks. Advice Appreciated.

Phig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I have the same problem with my neighbors! They shoot off those fireworks for the entire month of July and it terrifies Demi & Maggie. I wish I had a solution. Maggie lets me comfort her, but Demi runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, refusing to be comforted. They shoot them off past 10pm too, when we are trying to sleep.
This is the best thing to do with your pets, regardless whether it's fireworks or Thunder-storms. Playing with them will occupy their minds. Make sure you don't react to these obnoxious entities neither will your pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the best thing to do with your pets, regardless whether it's fireworks or Thunder-storms. Playing with them will occupy their minds. Make sure you don't react to these obnoxious entities neither will your pets.
Doesn't work for our girl. The fire works terrify her despite our lack of response. She won't play or even accept treats, just runs and hides. The falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in is right across the alley from where a neighbor use to fire BIG ones off and in addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. It's been cleaned out since then but this is what it looked like when she hung out in it before moving in with us.
Garage.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't work for our girl. The fire works terrify her despite our lack of response. She won't play or even accept treats, just runs and hides. The falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in is right across the alley from where a neighbor use to fire BIG ones off and in addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. It's been cleaned out since then but this is what it looked like when she hung out in it before moving in with us.
View attachment 242164
How was the fire caused, do you know? Looks like maybe the idiot bit off more than (s)he could chew?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
How was the fire caused, do you know? Looks like maybe the idiot bit off more than (s)he could chew?
I'm not sure. It's been like since we moved into our apartment. It belongs to the house at the end of the alley...

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took this just now on our meandering stroll. The holes on the far side of the roof were there when Gypsy was still a stray back in 2016.
View attachment 242288
Looks like it just needs a new roof and window(s). Our city used to come down heavy on any code violations, which this would technically be, but with the economic/societal downturn, I see stuff not too far from this around. :sigh:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like it just needs a new roof and window(s). Our city used to come down heavy on any code violations, which this would technically be, but with the economic/societal downturn, I see stuff not too far from this around. :sigh:
The left front wall is leaning a bit outward but the rest looks very sound, the house is built of the same material. There are a lot of solidly built wood or brick homes in the over hundred-year-old neighborhood. I'm surprised the neighborhood association let it stay the way it was for so long or that it hasn't made them take off the roof.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The left front wall is leaning a bit outward but the rest looks very sound, the house is built of the same material. There are a lot of solidly built wood or brick homes in the over hundred-year-old neighborhood. I'm surprised the neighborhood association let it stay the way it was for so long or that it hasn't made them take off the roof.
I guess the same factors are at work there as here. This is a very wealthy city -- a lot of homes go for millions -- but it's quite a mix now. They used to make people keep up their property. Not any more.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the same factors are at work there as here. This is a very wealthy city -- a lot of homes go for millions -- but it's quite a mix now. They used to make people keep up their property. Not any more.
They make sure the property's facing the streets are kept nice but I guess they don't care as much about the alleyways.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make sure the property's facing the streets are kept nice but I guess they don't care as much about the alleyways.
You're lucky. Here, you would see a lot of houses -- some on streets with mansions -- where there hasn't been any gardening or painting for ???. I've been one of those, sort of, because of $$$ and because one of my gardeners disappeared. But I do try really hard to keep the place nice, and it's looking good now with paint and with good gardeners. Yeah, the alleys aren't really top priority. But it all should be, because code violations can be dangerous, like that one, and because if people start letting things slide, it can be a bad thing all the way around. Again, not judging, because I've been there and I'm on an edge myself. Things are really tough for so many these days.