Terrified Of Fireworks. Advice Appreciated.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, first off I'm not sure where to post this so feel free to relocate.
We live in town in a usually nice & quiet neighborhood. However there is 1 dumb@ss
basically next door who invites a horde for the 4th of July. They will probably start shooting off fireworks this weekend, continuing after the 4th. We are talking BIG ones, I can't belive they haven't caught one of the numerous huge old trees on fire, or a big old house! The falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in is right across the alley from them and in addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. Poor little girl must have been Terrified since even now, safe inside , she won't let us comfort her but slinks under the love seat and shakes in fear.
I've got a call in to Dr Kate but was wondering what others with similar problems have tried (meds, Feliway etc...) I just wish I had thought to seek a solution sooner. Thanks, dustyd & Gypsy

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check your local laws regarding noise ordinances and fireworks. Don't be afraid to call the police if the neighbor is violating either.

As to damage control in your house.

First, make sure all windows and doors are closed. Close any curtains or blinds to additionally cut down on noise. If you don't have a cat hiding place already, a pop tent type toy or tunnel can make a great temporary hiding place to make your cat feel more comfortable. Leave a TV going or a radio in the room to help cover the noise of fireworks.

I had mild success with calming treats when I went on vacation with my cat. She seemed to handle my absence slightly better getting a treat a day, so a mild calming treat may help. Chamomile is another calming method, mix no more than 1/2 teaspoon of brewed Chamomile tea in her water dish and if she will drink it that should help some. If she won't drink it, you can also try valerian toys or a catnip toys which help by calming her once the initial high wears off. If you have access to silver vine that also works.

Another idea is putting a very small amount of human meat based baby food (no onion or garlic) on the top of her front paw to trigger a grooming session. Grooming can calm a scared cat down but if she is extremely scared it may not work.

Most cats will calm down with just their humans being home. I know the fireworks have already started up around my house and if the cats are touching me while they sleep there usually isn't much of a problem. If I am not touching them, then they come running to my bed. Although, Link is really the only one who doesn't like firework noise.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have the same problem with my neighbors! They shoot off those fireworks for the entire month of July and it terrifies Demi & Maggie. I wish I had a solution. Maggie lets me comfort her, but Demi runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, refusing to be comforted. They shoot them off past 10pm too, when we are trying to sleep.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The first thing you need to do is find out what the local laws are regarding fireworks. Your profile says you are in Illinois. As far as I know most fireworks are illegal in Illinois for private individuals unless they have a permit. Call your local law enforcement (police, sheriff, etc.) to let them know the history with the neighbors. They may be able to stop the fireworks before they get started.

Does your kitty have a safe place in your house other than under the love seat? Do you have a room in the middle of the house with no outside walls or windows (maybe a bathroom)? Failing that, what about a room on the opposite side of the house where the noise from the neighbors isn't so loud?

Set up a safe room for kitty with a carrier or box with a familiar bed in it. Have food, water, and litter box available for her. Take a comfortable chair or cushion for yourself so you can stay with her, (food and drink for yourself, too). Be sure you get her into the room before the noise starts or you may not be able to get her out from under the love seat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys hate it too. Fire works, and thunder for one of them. I have not figured out any way to stop them from being afraid. I try to keep calm, and be with them, but they normally prefer to hide in their favorite hiding spots. Mine have several different spots they retreat to when they are afraid. Im ok with that as i think it makes them feel safe, so i try to never bother them when they are in their spots. I may go in the same room and sit and read, or talk some, so they know im there, but i dont try to pull them out or pet them. Their safe spots are their safe spots. sometimes they come out to be with me, sometimes they stay hidden until the storm, fire works, or stranger danger passes. usually no more than a few hours i dont worry much.

If your little girl has a super bad time with it then an anti anxiety medication from the vet might not be a bad idea for that night?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are totally rural and fireworks start on June 1st and last til September but are completely off in the distance, but I know your pain.
Our dogs don't respond during the evening until the lights go out, then it's annoying "wuuf"'s til they stop...about 1:00AM...
Box fans, TV's, white noise machines....anything to mask the sound.
If they run under the bed or couch to hide, leave them. Don't drag them out to comfort them. Speak to them kindly and leave them hide.
I agree with the noise ordinance stuff. Check into it.
I agree with duckpond duckpond suggestion on meds if it gets terrible, but IMO the vet bill ought to be sent to the person causing the obnoxious disturbance :eviltongue:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised at first when I had Kitty and Rusty at the cottage and a big thunder storm hit and they seemed OK as they knew they weren't outside anymore. Then again I had them at work where it was loud, loud, loud so I should not have been surprised.

Zoe is aggravated by loud noises but Taz is terrified. Make her a tent under a stiff cardboard box on it's side. Thick blankets on top of the box and the more the merrier. Put some toys, blankets, etc. in there. Safe zone :) Hopefully it helps.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Another app you can try is myNoise. The free version has eight choices, a couple of which make me twitchy. :) But there are three that are nature sounds: Rain, Waves, and Spring Walk. The sounds are random so they are extremely natural. I use one of these when the neighbors behind me are whoopin’ it up in their back yard, scaring my indoor-only cats and keeping me from sleeping. I’m sure I’ll be using it next week. It’s also great for travel!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised at first when I had Kitty and Rusty at the cottage and a big thunder storm hit and they seemed OK as they knew they weren't outside anymore. Then again I had them at work where it was loud, loud, loud so I should not have been surprised.

Zoe is aggravated by loud noises but Taz is terrified. Make her a tent under a stiff cardboard box on it's side. Thick blankets "on top of the" box and the more the merrier. Put some toys, blankets, etc. in there. Safe zone :) Hopefully it helps.
One of our littles came home as a tiny road-scooped thing that was sick as heck. When it stormed the first time, she fell asleep in my lap while kneading on me, purring, and staring out the window at the rain and storms and her persona said "I'm SO glad I'm here and warm and safe and dry and not out there anymore..."

And people wonder why we are the CRAPPIEST "temp foster" parents.... =D

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, my kitties just twitch their ears and prowl around the house trying to figure out what the sound is. But the fireworks are loud here, too, as the city fireworks are detonated a mile or so away.

Personal fireworks ARE illegal in Illinois, but they are widely tolerated. Don't hesitate to call the police if your cats are climbing the drapes. At least the police will check to see if your neighbors have a permit. If they do, you're SOL, and left with all the good suggestions given by everyone here.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, my kitties just twitch their ears and prowl around the house trying to figure out what the sound is. But the fireworks are loud here, too, as the city fireworks are detonated a mile or so away.

Personal fireworks ARE illegal in Illinois, but they are widely tolerated. Don't hesitate to call the police if your cats are climbing the drapes. At least the police will check to see if your neighbors have a permit. If they do, you're SOL, and left with all the good suggestions given by everyone here.
They might...but IME chances are they don't!
What gets me is how many people wish to celebrate the independence of this nation by spending a lot of money to blow things up.
I blow things up in my workshop daily, for free, and no one pays me a damn dime, LOL

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad. LOL

According to my Dad, they aren't celebrating the independence of this country, but my birthday. He sent out general orders to that effect when he was in the Army and I was born. Everyone has been shooting them off ever since, so it must have worked.

I don't like it either. It comes around every year.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad. LOL

According to my Dad, they aren't celebrating the independence of this country, but my birthday. He sent out general orders to that effect when he was in the Army and I was born. Everyone has been shooting them off ever since, so it must have worked.

I don't like it either. It comes around every year.
We have not one, but two cats, that were assumed (by their foundling age) to be born around this time so we assumed them as "little 4th Sparklers!!"
What's crazy is both these cats took it seriously and are most ornery....and therefore most fun....of the bunch.
One will be 12, one will be 4, and in my mind, "12 months and 4 months" because they aren't allowed to age. =D
Happiest of (EARLY!) birthdays to you DreamerRose DreamerRose , and many more (and many more hanging out on TCS!!!!...hint hint!!) =D

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This will be our furkids first fourth so I'm watching this thread. Our dogs have gone through it and while they don't like to go outside when the fireworks go off, they will if there is a pause and do their business then back inside where it is not so noisy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
They might...but IME chances are they don't!
What gets me is how many people wish to celebrate the independence of this nation by spending a lot of money to blow things up.
I blow things up in my workshop daily, for free, and no one pays me a damn dime, LOL
No dime to be found but here's a couple of cents :2cents:
:crackup:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too live in Illinois and even though it is illegal for people who are not licensed to have fireworks it does not stop people from shooting them off. You can try calling your local police department non-emergency number and ask them what the policy is for fireworks. That should give you an idea if they enforce the rules. I had to call the police department out here one night because there were kids shooting off fireworks in the woods of the wetland at the end of our street. My cats were not scared but I was seeing a lot of smoke and I was scared something was going to catch on fire. The police sent a car out to check the area along with a fire engine. The kids and fireworks were gone when they got here. I saw the police and fireman go into the woods with flash lights and then they left.