Terrified Of Fireworks. Advice Appreciated.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What catlover73 catlover73 and the other TCSers in Naperville haven't mentioned is that we also have Ribfest going on. This year it starts on Wednesday and lasts through the weekend. That means we will have rock bands playing at max volume from in the day until well into the night. They are very loud here, a good mile or more away, and the noise bothers me and the kitties more than the fireworks. It's a city event, so there is no way to complain about it. :(

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog growing up was absolutely terrified of fire works, he did much better after the vet prescribed him something to calm him. Have the TV and radios going, and keep them fairly loud, it’s better she annoyed than scared! Have a safe space with some feliway inside, treats in a puzzle feeder to work on help distract too. I’m sorry she’s scared, I know it’s awful watching them go through it. I would make calling the police the last resort, (that’s just me) I know in many neighborhoods people usually ask around to find out who called, and make relations difficult. However, if things get really bad the police are there to keep everyone in your home safe! Here’s wishing you a safe and confident kitty during the booms! :dancingblackcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful suggestions. Gypsy has numerous safe places and if the shaking of a treat bag won't lure her out we never try to make her emerge until she wants to. Thunder and lightening don't faze her, just the fireworks. I really think the fear is due to being in that old garage while they went off. We had all the blinds and drapes closed with the window A/C units and all three tv's running to no avail. She hadn't really been with us very long last 4th maybe she will allow us to comfort her this year. I'm sure the idiots have been complained about to the PD, we have lots of neighbors.Scott won't let me call, he is afraid of retaliation.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
My dog growing up was absolutely terrified of fire works, he did much better after the vet prescribed him something to calm him. Have the TV and radios going, and keep them fairly loud, it’s better she annoyed than scared! Have a safe space with some feliway inside, treats in a puzzle feeder to work on help distract too. I’m sorry she’s scared, I know it’s awful watching them go through it. I would make calling the police the last resort, (that’s just me) I know in many neighborhoods people usually ask around to find out who called, and make relations difficult. However, if things get really bad the police are there to keep everyone in your home safe! Here’s wishing you a safe and confident kitty during the booms! :dancingblackcat:
:touched:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
One of our littles came home as a tiny road-scooped thing that was sick as heck. When it stormed the first time, she fell asleep in my lap while kneading on me, purring, and staring out the window at the rain and storms and her persona said "I'm SO glad I'm here and warm and safe and dry and not out there anymore..."

And people wonder why we are the CRAPPIEST "temp foster" parents.... =D
:catlove: :petcat: :catrub:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What catlover73 catlover73 and the other TCSers in Naperville haven't mentioned is that we also have Ribfest going on. This year it starts on Wednesday and lasts through the weekend. That means we will have rock bands playing at max volume from in the day until well into the night. They are very loud here, a good mile or more away, and the noise bothers me and the kitties more than the fireworks. It's a city event, so there is no way to complain about it. :(
I forgot about that. I live far enough away that I can not hear the rock bands. I am about 5 miles from downtown. I can hear the fireworks but not the music.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, just imagine how loud it is even closer, poor critters!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, first off I'm not sure where to post this so feel free to relocate.
We live in town in a usually nice & quiet neighborhood. However there is 1 dumb@ss
basically next door who invites a horde for the 4th of July. They will probably start shooting off fireworks this weekend, continuing after the 4th. We are talking BIG ones, I can't belive they haven't caught one of the numerous huge old trees on fire, or a big old house! The falling down garage Gypsy use to hang out in is right across the alley from them and in addition to the noise she probably could see the fireworks in the sky through the holes in the roof. Poor little girl must have been Terrified since even now, safe inside , she won't let us comfort her but slinks under the love seat and shakes in fear.
I've got a call in to Dr Kate but was wondering what others with similar problems have tried (meds, Feliway etc...) I just wish I had thought to seek a solution sooner. Thanks, dustyd & Gypsy
"Experts" say -- and I agree -- that cats (as well as humans) are calmed and feel better listening to Classical music. If you don't have a station locally, you can stream kusc.org anywhere in the world on your computer or smartphone.
Feliway has been extremely effective in our furmily. I had to transport 12 cats 100 miles to the airport to be airlifted internationally. Spraying the foam in their carriers with Feliway was very effective -- not a peep out of them the entire way, they arrived safely at their destination, and I did not have to use drugs, which our excellent vet didn't want to use anyway.
I bought some calming treats at Petco -- they are NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin 2-in-1 Support: "Helps reduce stress and tension; Promotes rest and relaxation". Soft tasty chews. They contain Thiamine, L-Tryptophan, Ginger (for sensitive stomachs) and Melatonin and are for cats over 12 weeks. These might be helpful.
And yes, DEFINITELY find out what your local laws are and call the law if it applies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my Willow just does hysterics for several hours, running from hiding space to hiding space until things quiet down. There is no comforting or calming her, and I find that the best thing I can do is ignore her. Usually sometime during the night she settles down and comes to bed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my Willow just does hysterics for several hours, running from hiding space to hiding space until things quiet down. There is no comforting or calming her, and I find that the best thing I can do is ignore her. Usually sometime during the night she settles down and comes to bed.
Maybe a soft blanket or bed in a closet where she can feel "cocooned"?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I can't imagine that 'hysterics for several hours' and 'running from hiding space to hiding space' are healthy or safe for ANY animal including humans. Have you spoken to your vet or tried the Feliway or calming treats suggested by tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 or anything else to help your poor girl? Seems like a miracle she hasn't hurt herself yet, running around terrified like that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a soft blanket or bed in a closet where she can feel "cocooned"?
Yes. Willow has comfy “safe” hiding spaces complete with towels or blankets in several closets upstairs and downstairs, a enclosed house in the basement and of course a spot under the bed. Unfortunately when she get really scared she can’t decide which is the safest and runs between them all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live is about to start their fireworks (in about 3 hours) so we have the windows closed and tv's playing to drown out any firework sounds. The city will be setting the displays off about a half a mile from our house but the neighbors around us will be setting off theirs also. Wish us luck.
Oh, I do. Where we lived 3 houses ago, fireworks were legal and a lot of people would go home to visit and bring back the really nasty big rockets and stuff. It would be like West Beirut *the hot spot at that time* and you could see the smoke and smell the cordite in the air for miles and hours. My ex is a pilot and sometimes we'd go flying over it all. It was barely controlled mayhem. Fortunately, our cats all hid and took it in stride -- I mean, like they had a choice?!!