Terrified Of Fireworks. Advice Appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 , early on I did talk with her vet and we did try several calming products. Willow has been with me seven years now and continues to make slow but continuous progress towards being a less fearful and more social cat. In the last six month, for example, she has only has two big panic attacks which is just a huge step forward for her.

While not being your ordinary house cat, she is happy and playful and definitely not in danger of hurting herself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 , early on I did talk with her vet and we did try several calming products. Willow has been with me seven years now and continues to make slow but continuous progress towards being a less fearful and more social cat. In the last six month, for example, she has only has two big panic attacks which is just a huge step forward for her.

While not being your ordinary house cat, she is happy and playful and definitely not in danger of hurting herself.
:catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
"Experts" say -- and I agree -- that cats (as well as humans) are calmed and feel better listening to Classical music. If you don't have a station locally, you can stream kusc.org anywhere in the world on your computer or smartphone.
Feliway has been extremely effective in our furmily. I had to transport 12 cats 100 miles to the airport to be airlifted internationally. Spraying the foam in their carriers with Feliway was very effective -- not a peep out of them the entire way, they arrived safely at their destination, and I did not have to use drugs, which our excellent vet didn't want to use anyway.
I bought some calming treats at Petco -- they are NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin 2-in-1 Support: "Helps reduce stress and tension; Promotes rest and relaxation". Soft tasty chews. They contain Thiamine, L-Tryptophan, Ginger (for sensitive stomachs) and Melatonin and are for cats over 12 weeks. These might be helpful.
And yes, DEFINITELY find out what your local laws are and call the law if it applies.
Dr. Kate prescribed 0.5 mg pills. 1/4 of a tablet (0.125 mg) twice daily as long as needed. I sorta wish I had tried OTC but Gypsy was so terrified last year that Dr. Kate thought the Alprazolam was a better way to go and I trust her to do the best for our girl. Local laws state that individuals can shoot off fireworks with a permit.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

I just worried she might run into or fall off something and get hurt.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Kate prescribed 0.5 mg pills. 1/4 of a tablet (0.125 mg) twice daily as long as needed. I sorta wish I had tried OTC but Gypsy was so terrified last year that Dr. Kate thought the Alprazolam was a better way to go and I trust her to do the best for our girl. Local laws state that individuals can shoot off fireworks with a permit.
Well, that sux, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 about the fireworks, but hopefully Gypsy will get through it okay with the help.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live is about to start their fireworks (in about 3 hours) so we have the windows closed and tv's playing to drown out any firework sounds. The city will be setting the displays off about a half a mile from our house but the neighbors around us will be setting off theirs also. Wish us luck.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck: :crossfingers: :clover: :angrycat:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Samai gets scared she tries to climb in my shirt.
Fortunately, the closest fireworks are 20 miles away. All my neighbors have been here through major fires and no one is about to set any off. Especially since we're in stage 3 fire restrictions.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fireworks are going off in the neighborhood right now. Cats aren't bothered by them, but I don't make any acknowledgement of what's going on. They seem to pick up on the smallest things.

Sure, my cats are quite self-assured and not fearful of much, but I try not to add anything to the mix.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned is to run a nice, big, loud fan. They make quite a bit of white noise to mask outdoor noises. The vent fan over the kitchen stove is good for this, too.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An update on my kits with the fireworks happening right now. The noise did not bother them as they treated it like thunderstorms that recently came through the area. They looked out the windows to see the flashing lights but the booming noises did not bother them. The big dog (75lbs of him) on the other hand crawled into my wife's lap when the first boom took him by surprise but I walked him outside to see what was going on and he was fine with it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's booming here now, too. First thunderstorms, now distant fireworks. It's really flat here, so you can hear the fireworks from other towns all over. I guess it's going to be like this all week. My cats are cool about it; I guess the storms introduced them to loud noises.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Samai gets scared she tries to climb in my shirt.
Fortunately, the closest fireworks are 20 miles away. All my neighbors have been here through major fires and no one is about to set any off. Especially since we're in stage 3 fire restrictions.
When we moved to the Mojave, I had to call on the people across the road who were letting off fireworks. In the DESERT. Fire hazard much?!! Turns out the guy who was doing this was a bailiff!!! I guess he thought the law didn't apply to them?!! :fuming:

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something else: make a blanket fort for both of you! Okay, we can be honest with each other since we are obviously all willing to do anything for our cats lol! I made a fort on the living room floor with a fan, tv and lots of snacks. A big blanket to hide under, it was a big hit during the fireworks! He loved that I was in a safe space WITH him, it was so much better than him hiding alone. Turkey or chicken baby food, a couple teaspoons of half and half as a special treat, and just laugh and have fun! They can feel our stress, so it also helped him see I wasn’t afraid for him, and that also helped to relax him. :)
Go all kid and have fun! :dancingblackcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something else: make a blanket fort for both of you! Okay, we can be honest with each other since we are obviously all willing to do anything for our cats lol! I made a fort on the living room floor with a fan, tv and lots of snacks. A big blanket to hide under, it was a big hit during the fireworks! He loved that I was in a safe space WITH him, it was so much better than him hiding alone. Turkey or chicken baby food, a couple teaspoons of half and half as a special treat, and just laugh and have fun! They can feel our stress, so it also helped him see I wasn’t afraid for him, and that also helped to relax him. :)
This sounds wonderful! Wow! *And bring your phone so you can both play "Cat Fishing"!* :yess:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap2: :bunnydance::jump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! I think I’m going to need stronger line from all the treats, haha!
What a great way to ride out the noise storm, though! It brings back all kinds of wonderful childhood memories of building forts out in the back yard with blankets, a picnic table, and rocks (ouch) anchoring the blankets. Doing this indoors, without rocks and with cats, sound even better! :D:cutecat::kneading: