Tera + 2 - 4

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Tera was a friendly stray then, not a feral?
It was impossible to tell the first few days but she had obviously been socialized at one point which means she was either dumped here or was one of my SILs outcasts. The ones she tosses outside when they aren't cute little kittens anymore. Probably on her way to church with her kids in the car watching.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's terrible if she was the one who threw her out.
She is one of those sad human beings that will bring home a whole litter of kittens to rescue but then toss them out when they start spraying and coming into heat never thinking to S/N. It seems their religion is against S/N. Unless a dog or cat comes to her fixed she won't do it. I keep bringing up in our county that an intact animal should be about 500 dollars per year to license. A breeder with high quality puppies or kittens would make that back on the first pet sold.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do cats have to be licensed where you live? I never heard of that here. Do they have to wear collars and tags?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmmm...Think I'll go to our next town meeting and bring that up. I am getting to know the animal control officer fairly well, who is heartbroken over having to trap and send ferals for euthanasia. She wants to see things change drastically in our town, so I think she would support that idea of high fines for intact animals! Must find out who on the council to approach. Thank you for a wonderful idea! That might actually lead to managed colonies and a TNR program here in Havelock!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Do cats have to be licensed where you live? I never heard of that here. Do they have to wear collars and tags?
My cats have to have a county license but they do not have to wear a collar or tag. Its 5 dollars per cat per year and it does go to the AC fund that helps provide services.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm...Think I'll go to our next town meeting and bring that up. I am getting to know the animal control officer fairly well, who is heartbroken over having to trap and send ferals for euthanasia. She wants to see things change drastically in our town, so I think she would support that idea of high fines for intact animals! Must find out who on the council to approach. Thank you for a wonderful idea! That might actually lead to managed colonies and a TNR program here in Havelock!
Intact pets are the biggest issue in animal overpopulation. It's not the real breeders who produce purebreds in a healthy clean home using high breeding standards. It's puppy/kitten mills that mass produce and your nice neighbor who forgot that cats can start breeding well before the one year mark or are just heartless and don't think of the consequences to their own pet or it's offspring. The first step is mandatory micro chipping with low cost options for all pet owners. Cats remain most at risk since they are often left out from a very young age to fend for themselves. You start where you start and eventually if you persist you end up where you want to be. Which would be someone getting a bill in the mail after their dog or cat got hit by a car and killed or caused damage to the vehicle or produced a litter of puppies or kittens which instead of the taxpayer being saddled with was now passed to the owner complete with properly liens like houses and cars. When I had saddlebreds it was the sellers responsibility to transfer the papers to the buyer not like most breeds where you sign the papers and hand them to the buyer for them to file chips could be manage the same way.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent ideas. I shall now begin to make notes. I'm also looking into the cost of good scanners. Our ACO doesn't even have one! If the City would buy a scanner, I'd even volunteer to contact owners.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent ideas. I shall now begin to make notes. I'm also looking into the cost of good scanners. Our ACO doesn't even have one! If the City would buy a scanner, I'd even volunteer to contact owners.
The first step to animal control is being able to ID who owns the pet. Next comes enforcing S/N of non breeding animals. I'm being realistic here. If you can't sell the offspring for at least 500 dollars why are you even playing at animal maker. The reality is there will always be excess kittens at shelters and rescues. Right now there's so many they have regular events to waive the adoption fees. I don't know the number but actual adoption rates are pretty dismal. Some rescues may do pretty good but it does nothing for the millions dumped in garbage bags every year.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see those stories all the time, and it never fails to make me weep. We must do better by our animals, ethically, medically and legally. And I know I'm preaching to the choir here...actually, preaching to the other pastor.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I see those stories all the time, and it never fails to make me weep. We must do better by our animals, ethically, medically and legally. And I know I'm preaching to the choir here...actually, preaching to the other pastor.
Both domestic and human populations need to come under control.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're so beautiful, and that b/w of Mook is STUNNING!

And agreed, ALL population, with the notable exception of our many endangered species, needs to be brought under control.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
They're so beautiful, and that b/w of Mook is STUNNING!

And agreed, ALL population, with the notable exception of our many endangered species, needs to be brought under control.
The eyes in that picture were just wonderful. Emerald green is beautiful but B/W caught her soul.