Suddenly Mounting Other Cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I was talking about the fun for the cats, not for you. Contrary little beasties. I was sernaded by Cat Operal all night last night. I'm a bit cross-eyed today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. Ember slept pretty much right in the middle of my bed on top of my blanket. So of course I had to fold myself around her and use what little blanket I could get.

But no fights lately!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No fights is always good.

LOL, I know about the Bed Wars. Right now, I (we) have a king-sized bed. I get 26 inches on the far left hand side, and the rest is Hekitty's. And she enforces that with pushes, and shoves, and claws. All. Night. Long. I'm actually pretty well-trained now, and no longer even roll over. I kinda...flip in place.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always go to bed to read or whatever before sleeping and I lay with my knees drawn up. Ember likes to lay on my feet, so she's right in the middle of the bed and I have to pull my feet out from under her when I want to lay down. And rolling over usually requires pulling my feet up over her, fitting my in a gap probably less than two feet long between her and my pillows, and folding my legs around her again. All of which often brings me right to the edge of the bed.

Fortunately, Ember will get up and leave rather than use force. However, I do move a lot less than I used to. Sometimes I actually fall asleep with her at night and wake up with her in the morning. She's usually gone by 5:30 though. Too close to feeding time to be sleeping.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That crepuscular nature at work. Unfortunately, in my house, that backfires on me. I've always worked second or third shifts, and even now that I don't work, I'm up until 3-4 in the morning, and sleep until 11-12. That means that I'm JUST getting to sleep good when Hekitty decides it's time to visit the waterhole and see if there are any stray gazelles not paying attention.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only Ash gives us any problems at night. He likes to yowl for no reason and run through the house like a madman. That can happen at any point at time. The other two pretty much just sleep. They both sleep with me in the winter and the only issue they give me is grooming.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat Opera. There's nothing quite like it, is there? And they do that mournful "Maoooowooowowowowowowow" thing...

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. He can sound quite pathetic. Not as pathetic as Ember, but still. And if you talk to him he looks at you with big, wide eyes and gives a little questioning meow like, "What? You said you'd pet me?"

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty talks to me sometimes. For several minutes at a time. She meows, I answer, she responds...I've no idea what she's saying (most of the time), but I do enjoy the whole thing. LOL, I tell people that I'm trying to learn Cattish. She says my vocabulary is almost adequate, but my accent sucks dishwater.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Ash would say the same. For some reason I usually meow back at him, but talk normally with Ember. Frost doesn't converse with me, but the other two don't seem to care how I respond.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neutered male bengal does this to my spayed female all the time. For him it's a pure dominance "I'm bigger than you" move. My female doesn't seem to mind, so I ignore it mostly unless she starts to complain.

No idea why a cat would suddenly start this after 6 years (stress as a possible trigger? He's controlling anxiety by reasserting his dominance?)