Suddenly Mounting Other Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, well...I'm a bit lost at this point, although it does seem as if Ember is asking for attention, and Ash is saying, "Well, OK, I don't mind a bit!" DEAR LORD, I want to be able to talk to cats!
It would make things a lot easier if we could talk to them, that's for sure. I'm not sure I want to take Ember to the vet for it either. She's a timid cat and stresses easily. She doesn't like Ash going to the vet.

She does seem to be getting a bit tired of it though. Nothing huge, but she didn't let him get away with it the last time I saw him try. But she definitely wants attention of some sort. She's always happy with getting petted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she didn't let him get away with it, I'd say that Ember has Ash well in hand...erm...paw.

I used to worry because my Hekitty wasn't much for attention, but then I noticed that no matter where in the house I am, she is very near by, usually sleeping, but near. Attention, but on her terms, not mine. Petting is MOSTLY for bedtime, when she turns into a snugglebunny.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she didn't let him get away with it, I'd say that Ember has Ash well in hand...erm...paw.

I used to worry because my Hekitty wasn't much for attention, but then I noticed that no matter where in the house I am, she is very near by, usually sleeping, but near. Attention, but on her terms, not mine. Petting is MOSTLY for bedtime, when she turns into a snugglebunny.

Yeah, nothing too concerning yet. I just don't want her to get stressed.

Ember is usually both nearby and wanting attention. She isn't clingy (unlike the dog) and is fine being in another room(usually my room), but she absolutely hates having a door between us. I stopped closing the bathroom door all the way because she would cry and scratch at the door. Now she just sits outside and waits for me to come out. But she would never turn down being petted no matter what time of day it is.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing better than I am, at that. There are NO closed doors in this house, other than the front and back, which are deadbolted because Ms. H. Renee (Hekitty prefers H. Renee for career purposes. Don't ask me why, and she isn't telling) can open every door in my house. Cleaning fluids are kept in Rubbermaid totes, firmly closed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing better than I am, at that. There are NO closed doors in this house, other than the front and back, which are deadbolted because Ms. H. Renee (Hekitty prefers H. Renee for career purposes. Don't ask me why, and she isn't telling) can open every door in my house. Cleaning fluids are kept in Rubbermaid totes, firmly closed.
I bet that makes everything more difficult! None of my cats have figured out how to open completely shut does, but Frost used to like getting in the cabinets. Of course, it would take him several tries so we'd hear the cabinet door slamming shut repeatedly. Fortunately, at that time it was pretty much all canned stuff he'd just crawl over. He hasn't done that in a while though. He'd probably make himself an indoor/outdoor cat if he could open the doors going outside.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang around my apartment way late at night, and 3 night out of seven you will hear a sleepy, grumpy voice calling out, "Hekitty, you got yourself IN there, you can get yourself back out!" I can't begin to count the times she's panicked after locking herself in a closet that she opened in the first place! As my dad used to say (fairly frequently), "Who knows from cats?"

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang around my apartment way late at night, and 3 night out of seven you will hear a sleepy, grumpy voice calling out, "Hekitty, you got yourself IN there, you can get yourself back out!" I can't begin to count the times she's panicked after locking herself in a closet that she opened in the first place! As my dad used to say (fairly frequently), "Who knows from cats?"
Haha. I'm glad we don't have that problem, but I can't say I've never had to get up to let a cat out of a room they got themselves stuck in. Ash has gotten himself locked into the bathroom before. We have to keep the door shut at night because Ember will slam it open early in the morning. He somehow managed to slip in between the time I turned the light off and I shut the door. And they've all wound up locked in my closet on more than one occasion. And the pantry. Cats are funny creatures.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which is why we love them so, despite the things they do (or maybe partially BECAUSE of the things that they do!). Every single time I think, "Oh, she can't possibly get into that!", she does. Twice. In 15 minutes. She does not, however, bother the Christmas tree much, other than the plastic ornaments I hang at the very bottom, just for that purpose.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are amazing. We gave up on having a tree for Christmas. They never climbed it, but the ornaments were too much of a temptation and Frost in particular has a habit of eating what he isn't supposed to. In fact, last year the presents had to be kept locked up because he kept trying to eat the ribbons.

My cats are still relatively well behaved though. I've never gone through the "teen phase." I didn't even know it was a thing before getting on this site.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh...I wish I had been that lucky, not having the teen phase! And Hekitty was taken from her mama far, far too young. I got her when she was barely 5 weeks old, so she's a bit of a "bottle baby." Her teenaged months were something else. There was not one thing that she didn't get into, onto, or under in the entire house.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats act up on occasion. Ash likes to climb the curtains so they all have little holes in them. And the blinds in my room were brand new when we moved in a couple years ago. Didn't take long for them to start falling apart. There's a large gap in them now. Frost used to get in the recycling and get a hold of plastic(still will if anything is left out) and likes to eat plants. But really nothing major. They don't destroy the house and I cannot recall a time where they were any worse than they are now. I do consider myself lucky. I didn't until I got on this site and read about all the people who have it worse than I do, but I realize they're pretty well behaved as far as cats go.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Every blind in my house, except for the one on my bedroom window, stays totally raised at all times. I have sheers under my drapes for added privacy. My apartment complex charges $25 a window to install new blinds that they buy from Walmart for $8. Better not to take chances that a nosey feline will tear one up in an effort to keep up with neighborhood doings!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to risk that either. That's kind of ridiculous that they charge so much. We use light blocking curtains, so the blinds probably aren't even necessary, but we're weird and like it dark. Ash has managed to pull down the curtains in the dining room though. The entire rod will come down and it goes over three windows. The blinds are useful then until we can get a taller person to put them back up.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's when I hear things like that, that I'm almost glad that Hekitty is a furry little soccer ball. She does jump (quite nicely, giver her rotundity), but she does not climb.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually not sure if he climbs either. The only time I've caught him on the curtains, he had jumped from the ground straight up almost to the top and hung for a second before letting go. :sigh::doh:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I guess then that the only answer I can come up with is, buy cheap curtains. It hurts less to have to replace them. That's one reason I just buy furniture I like the size and shape of, never mind the upholstery. I'm going to be buying SureFit covers in six months, anyway!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would probably be the smart thing to do, but instead we get expensive light blocking curtains. Fortunately, he hasn't done much more than leave little holes in them. They've held up well enough. In fact, we don't have any destroyed furniture. There's only a couple of things the cats scratch and you can't even tell. We got lucky with that. Ash keeps scratching my ottoman even though there's a scratcher right next to it, one on top of it, and a cat stand maybe a foot away. I'm surprised it doesn't look torn up. And Ember sometimes goes crazy on the computer chair. She'll even end up falling off of it and she's so cute I can't be mad at her.

By the way, as far as the mounting goes, it's still going on, but not as often. I think it's happened three or four times in a bit over a week. The last time it happened, I made Ember's calling noise and she ran out from under him and over to me. So to me it seems like she's wanting my attention, but is willing to accept his if I don't give it to her.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it is a very different sort of attention, but she seems willing. And do get hormones checked. I don't think I'd make a special appointment unless things get really out of hand, but the next time they go in, mention it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was not fully neutered completely.
Well, the vet insist they don't leave anything behind. She didn't seem willing to consider the possibility and I'm not to the point that I want to push it or take any of them to the vet unnecessarily.

Well, it is a very different sort of attention, but she seems willing. And do get hormones checked. I don't think I'd make a special appointment unless things get really out of hand, but the next time they go in, mention it.
Yeah, I'm not going to be making an appointment for this, especially since it seems to be fading. They're all getting along well, so I'm not worried.