Suddenly Mounting Other Cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad that it is tapering off, although I've thoroughly enjoyed our conversation about all of this! Cat people...we find amusement and pleasure in the oddest things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it is too. I'm glad it didn't cause any problems. I have quite enjoyed our conversation as well, even if it did start because of such an odd situation among my cats. And that is a true statement about cats people. But I continue to learn new things about cats and that can never be a bad thing. I could talk about cats all day if I was allowed to. They really are fascinating creatures.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, this is certainly the place to talk about cats all day! I'll keep this thread active, although the issue is resolved. Keep telling me about the crazy things your cats do!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm very glad I found this site. I don't know where I'd be without it, really.

Well, my cats are all fairly calm. Ash pretty much only comes out when treats are involved or he wants attention, which isn't all that often. He likes to pretend he's neglected though. Goes through the house yowling very loudly with wide eyes, ears flattened, and often tips his head upwards towards the ceiling. He likes scratching the carpet in the living room as well as my ottoman. He looks right at me while he does it too. Those are the only issues we have with scratching inappropriate things though and he has yet to damage anything.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry it took a bit to get back here. I had vertigo, and was NOT doing much of anything at all, except trying not to fall into space!

Huh...Ash. I don't suppose you might have critters in the ceiling? He'd hear them even if you don't. Or even a ghost or two? I've heard that cats are very sensitive to things like that. LOL, of the two of those, I'm hard-put to say which I'd "druther" have! Maybe the ghosts...less expensive than an exterminator!

I've finally managed to get Hekitty to leave my loveseat alone, and only scratch my recliner, which has a very nubby fabric and doesn't show the damage at all!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, don't worry about it. It's fine.

Critters? I don't know. I don't think so. At least I'm not sure how they got in. There was a time my mom though there was a bat up there, but it either went away or wasn't up there to begin with. I sure haven't heard anything. We haven't even had a single mouse in this house. And he's always gone a bit crazy, even in the trailer. And we usually knew when there were critters living in that house. We could hear the mice scratching at the walls.

Ghosts are possible. I'm not entirely sure I believe in them myself, but I've been joking that I have a ghost haunting me for years now because things have a tendency to disappear and then reappear in the location they were supposed to be at even after I checked three times. I can quite literally look for something numerous times and my mom will find it first try right where I had already looked. And my friend has a friend who claims she can sense ghosts and said one was following me.

We've been fortunate that nothing has been torn up. It's still a bit frustrating considering they have three cat trees, two horizontal corrugated cardboard scratchers, and a small vertical scratcher. But he still insists on scratching the carpet(right by one of the horizontal scratchers) and my ottoman(small vertical scratcher right next to it, other horizontal on top, and a cat tree probably no more than a foot or so away).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may be a rather dumb question, but are the scratchers covered in carpet? Hek, thankfully, generally goes after her cardboard scratchers, but occasionally she likes fabric.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vertical scratcher and one cat stand are carpet, the other two cat stands have the rope on them. I've seen him use every scratcher/cat stand in house. He still likes the carpet and my ottoman.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To quote a very wise man (my father, actually), "Who knows from cats?" LOL, Dad was a sort of fur whisperer. If it walked on four legs and had fur, it loved my dad. But cats adored him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very true statement too. They are odd creatures, but wonderful nonetheless.

Ash is still mounting Ember, by the way. Still not as often as he was before, but it's happened a few times this past week.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Persistent little dickens, isn't he? And Ember is a patient soul. Or in love. One of the two.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That he is. With stealing Frost's food too. I still think it's funny because if I call her, she comes running no matter what he's doing. She did answer his call the other day though. That was the first time I saw it started with him meowing and her running to him. They had a bit of a conversation as she went down the hall to him. When I looked, she was laying on her side and he had on paw on her side. They were both looking at me like two teens caught by mom.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH OH OH! That's just too, too funny!

I've been meaning to ask, is Ember your avatar? I'm just a wee bit partial to torties.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was both very weird and very amusing.

Yes, she is. I've become rather partial to them myself as well. I always find it so interesting to see her in different lighting, because in the dark she appears to have very little orange in her fur, but then she walks through a patch of sunlight and it's like she lights up.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know...and you think you know what your cat looks like, then she changes position and is an entirely new cat! That just amazes me every time.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is amazing. I absolutely love watching it. Ember has a lot of really subtle coloring too. Most of the prominent orange/red coloring is on her face. On her flanks and back, it just sort of blends into the black, so she looks like a mostly black cat. Until you put her in the sunlight. It's amazing how much color she's hiding in all that black.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Hekitty was younger, she was mostly black. Some of the smaller flecks of black were so intense that it looked like bottomless pits in her fur. As she ages, she's getting more orange in there, going a kind of mahogany.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. Do you know about what age that happened? Ember is four years old now. I think she has more orange now than when she was a kitten, but I haven't noticed an increase as an adult. She has a lot of that deep red color that's hardly even noticeable though. But she definitely looks a lot less black when she's in the light. We keep the house pretty dark.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was around six or seven when I actually thought, "You know, that cat is changing color!"

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess we'll see if Ember does the same. I kind of like her coloring though. But I take enough pictures of them that I should definitely be able to notice any changes.