Suddenly Mounting Other Cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tell her that she is rusting. And promptly get the "tortie stink-eye," you know, THIS one:

Teh Stink Eye.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. I don't think anyone would want to be told they're rusting. Ember would probably give me the same look and wouldn't sleep in my bed for two nights. It always kind of concerns me when she doesn't get in bed with me for at least a little while.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, those bedtime routines! They can drive us crazy, until our cats have something else to do at bedtime, and suddenly we can't sleep because of it! I'm not sure I could live here alone, with no cat. For me, a cat is the sweet, purring heart of my home. Nothing else comes close.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I used to struggle to sleep with them on my bed, but now its harder to sleep without them. Last night Ember laid across my legs.

I couldn't live without a a cat either. I'm allergic to them and there are days I take three different medicines for it, but I couldn't give them up.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are one of the few things I'm NOT allergic to! I'm so very thankful for that!

Sorry about taking so long to get back with you. Last week was the week from hell, when I had a good bit scheduled, and EVERY SINGLE THING took 5 times longer than it should have taken! I got here ONCE, all week long, and that's a "never happens" thing for me.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're one of my worst allergies, sadly. I pretty much grew up with them though and I can't not have cats. It's normal for me anyway. I'm getting shots now to hopefully help.

Oh, that's fine. I haven't been on quite as much lately either. Things never do seem to go the way they're planned.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gotcha. But...as a team member, I should be here more often than not! And usually am. Last well...~shudders delicately~ Let's not do that again, please!

Hope those shots work for you! They seem to either do the trick, or do nothing at all. :crossfingers:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on here a lot too. I don't always reply since I check my phone and I don't like typing on that, but I do usually at least get on and read any replies every day.

I hope so too. Though I was told that living with cats is working against me and, due to that, I'm probably never going to get over them completely. Which kind of sucks since it would have been nice to not deal with them especially when I intend on living and working with cats, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. I'm not about to give up my cats in order to get over my allergies so I can have cats. I didn't expect them to completely get rid of my allergies anyway. I'm mainly hoping for an improvement so they're easier to manage.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I guess we'll find out if it works. I've been getting the shots for about a year and it can take up to five years.

I will say it doesn't seem like I'm reacting so badly to Ember anymore. I don't know why, but she's the only one of my three cats that causes me to break out in itchy red bumps, but it hasn't happened in a few months.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, we have progress! I'm told that it is the dander that causes allergies, occasionally saliva, but that's fairly rare. And since dander is like human dandruff, and everyone produces different amounts, that kinda stands to reason that a cat who produces the most dander would cause the most issues. I'm tickled that it is better now! And I know that you are beyond happy about it!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That could make sense, but I thought I read the opposite. That it was a chemical in the saliva that most people are allergic. It works out similar though. They groom themselves and their fur carries the saliva.

I am happy to know that its getting better, but it's hard to notice. It's like watching someone grow. You don't notice until you look back at pictures.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is true of everything. Which is why I didn't notice the weight creeping up until I couldn't fasten my favorite pair of jeans!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. Yep, that's pretty much how it is.

So I'm starting to think Ember and Ash might have the weirdest relationship ever. I don't know how anyone can go back and forth from being good friends to enemies like they do.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, have you ever observed two siblings over a long period of time? Now, granted, it is rare for one to actually try to MOUNT the other, but the whole "frenemies" "domination game" is almost a given.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I have. But these two are ridiculous. Ember attacks Ash multiple times a day, but you can still find them cuddling together at the top of the cat tree. It's like you never know if they're friends or enemies. It changes in minutes, literally. Frost has been starting to lash out at Ember too. Weird cats.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Weird cats" is a redundancy, from the Department of Redundancy Department. They're ALL somewhere on the weird spectrum. Yours, however, are taking it to an art form!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is true. Though it doesn't make them any less weird. I'd rather they portray their oddness in other, less violent ways though. Ways that don't wake me up in the middle of the night and send me running through the dark.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But...but...what would be the fun in THAT? Hekitty's worst thing that she does is to yack a hairball in a hidden spot, wait until it dries JUST enough that it feels like a dead mouse in the dark, and plant it where I'm sure to step on it while headed to the potty in the middle of the night. I think she may be possessed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fun of not being stressed and of being able to play and snuggle without concern?

Fortunately, only one of my three has hairballs. Unfortunately, he often has them three, four, maybe five times a week. He seems to have slowed down a bit though. But he normally has them on the carpet so I have to scrub rather than having them on the hardwood or tile where I can just wipe it up. I don't know how I haven't stepped into at least a dozen hairballs, but it's only happened a few times. And it's usually quite wet. He seems to like having them while I'm in the middle of eating or getting ready to eat, so I get to listen to him hack it up which takes two or three tries to get it all up.