Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Crabbiness does happen. :/

:( Well it can happen. I am surprised Frost had Ash's hair. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe Ash bothered him and boom. It happens especially if they are grumpy and don't wait to play. I wonder if ferals were outside. That would be the time that they would be around.

Hmmmm, it almost seems like Frost is feeling a little insecure. Again, maybe the ferals. Ember then redirected aggression. I would step up play with Frost in the area where this happened.

:( No, it is not good to see. :( It is good that the tabby was around. I have a bad feeling that none of them are neutered/spayed. Keep trying to get in touch with the TNR organization. I have a feeling this is a big reason why your cats are acting up. Typically this is what causes those issues. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash has been really sensitive about being touched lately. I mean, I barely touch the lower part of his side and he acts like he's going to bite me. Even hissed at me which isn't all that common. Frost laid down right in front of him, but not quite touching him and he growled at him and thought about attacking.

I don't know what's up with them sometimes. I am getting suspicious that Frost is causing issues and might've been causing issues for some time now. He always seems to be in the middle of things and I'm not sure if it's because he starts it or he's trying to break it up or he's just so dang curious he has to check it out. Today has been very stressful for all of us, including the cats. I heard them running, but thought it was just Ember trying to get Frost to play and I did hear him hiss. However, right after that hiss things got quite a bit louder. I got up to see Ember running through the kitchen into the dining room and both of the boys were in the storage room, so once again no clue what happened or who was involved. Ember was very tense. Ash was growling at her. Then he was wanting to come out while she was still tense and I tried getting her to back off, but she wouldn't. I tried getting Ash back in the storage room and he hissed at me. Ember went after him for that. I got a hold of her and carried her off. I think if there was going to be a time that she went after me when I grabbed her it would've been today. She didn't. I carried her into the other room and got the treats. Things were just starting to calm down when my mom called, so I had to go get my phone and another fight broke out. I had to shut Ash in the storage room for a few minutes. Ember went after him when he jumped up on the cat tree in the dining room, but didn't make contact. More treats. Everything was fine after that.

Well, that incident happened in the living room which is where I usually play with them, but is also probably where they sense the most ferals. It's a bit crowded right now as well as we're trying to get ready for a yard sale.

I did email the organization today. Now they're saying they could probably come out in June, but they said they need to know if the cats or owned or free-roaming. I was sort of hoping they could figure that out. I've no idea how to go about finding that out and I surely don't want to say the wrong thing, especially when it doesn't sound like the lady who lives there is very sociable. Ugh.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That isn't good. I hope there isn't anything wrong. Is his appetite normal? Everything else normal? Litter box use? Any fur matting? That could be what is causing the recent issues. :(

Hmmmmmm, there is something that is causing the issue. Those incidents do happen at times for any number of reasons. Any time a cat feels cornered they can get more aggressive and when the other cat doesn't back down a confrontation can occur. Just be careful with Ember. She would never hurt you knowingly but when they get in that mood they can do things from instinct not knowing what they are doing. Please be careful.

Ahhhhhh, crowded. Change. And of course that limits movements etc. So they can be more restless and that can cause issues (combined with sensing ferals).

That is good. Just say you have not made contact with the homeowner yet and that she doesn't seem very social but given the amount of cats and the fact they are intact that the vast majority appear to be free roaming. Let her know that mating is going on and you are seeing kittens. :/ Don't worry, they have to be careful but it will work out. Mention that you brother will allow trapping in his yard.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything else seems normal. I'll be brushing and cleaning litter boxes tonight, so I can make sure then. He seems better today though. Still sensitive around his tail and back legs, but that's not out of the norm. I don't know, he always seems to get bad arthritis after I go to my dad's, but my mom swears she gives him the glucosamine.

I will be careful. I wouldn't do the same with just any cat. Actually, if I plan on grabbing Ash then I get his scruff first. He might not want to hurt me, but I know he'll use claws and teeth for a fact and he likes to press his luck a bit. He always seems to know just how far he can go without drawing blood... Ember has definitely proven to have quite a bit of self control even in that state of mind though. It's quite impressive if you think about it. Yesterday was just very stressful in general though. I'm sure they picked up on my stress/almost fear. The dog was riled up and in an excited state of mind as well.

Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't help. They seem to be enjoying all the boxes and stuff in them though. Ash likes to pull things out of them. It's been very hard keeping everything cat safe.

Well, they're saying they have to know what the situation is first and now the owner has to be involved which isn't what was said before. They just said it would be easier.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good everything else is normal and it is good that he is better now. Was the weather colder or damper? Maybe he is less active when you are gone and he gets stiffer? At least it doesn't sound like something new.

That is good you are aware. They usually are very good at knowing the limit but mistakes can happen. Ember is VERY impressive that she is so good. In that state is can be very difficult but her control is amazing really. I agree, very impressive.

Ahhhh, stress. Yes, cats will pick up on that and it can lead to issues. And having a dog more restless also adds to it. Being aware of that is very helpful in dealing with the animal behavior. Just try not to worry too much and take a step back and a deep breath and try to figure a way to handle what is causing the stress. If it is something out of our control we just have to accept it and if it is somewhat in our control then try to figure a way out to deal with the situation. I know it is hard (I am really stressed and anxious right now as well) but I am trying to take my own advice. I am trying to do things that make me happy and try to ignore the things I can't control and just accept them and try to do some things to deal with the issues causing my stress. Hopefully if you break things down to simpler tasks then you can conquer on issue at a time and then reduce the stress. Hang in there, you will get through it.

Yep. Cats LOVE to get into that stuff and especially if we don't want them to do it. Cats are something..................... At least it will be over soon.

Well, it is easier to get buy in from them (the owners). I am not good at going up to people either. Would your brother be willing to go with you? I want you to be safe. Maybe knock on their door and say that you would like to help the situation and wanted to understand how they feel and mention all the benefits and that you care about these cats etc. That you have an organization that will help and there is no cost. I am guessing they are nicer and better than what we fear. Given they are feeding they seem to care about the cats and that is a big help. Just let them know that you are not asking anything of them other than to understand the situation and get their ok. You may want to ask the organization exactly what you need to find out, what questions they want you to ask etc. I have dealt with some really bad people and this situation doesn't seem to be like that. I know it is really hard to do but the anticipation is much worse than the actual action. Things usually are much better and easier than we think they might be. I have a feeling they really don't know much, just feed them and that they will be fine with whatever the organization decides on doing. That is my best guess.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so. Maybe damper? I didn't really pay attention, but it's getting warm, so definitely not cold. I don't think it's really damp. He let me brush his legs without a problem, but still seems a bit crabby.

Ember really is a good cat. She's quite obedient as far as cats go. She's so good at being careful with her teeth and claws, and she never even had to be taught. Even Stella isn't so aware of her teeth and claws.

It's hard because it's not something I can control, but it's not something I can ignore either. It's an ongoing issue and could be for quite some time. It's better now, but I don't know what to do. At this point, my mom is uncomfortable with me going out on my own, but I can't not walk the dog indefinitely until this issue is solved. I don't think I can handle this dog if she doesn't get walked. I'm not totally stressed now, but I'm still confused and lost.

I almost had a cat fight on my lap today! Ash and Frost were on the couch. Frost was wanting to play. Ash was growling. I'm not used to them really growling much during play, but he wasn't trying to get away and seemed to open to it, so I just left them be. Frost pounced, Ash hissed, Ember attacked. I'm not sure what happened, but all of a sudden Ember was on me and the dog was right there as well. Ember didn't seem to know what happened either. Then Ash took off and Ember followed. She walked away for a moment, but then went charging back at him. Fortunately I was able to talk her out of that. I got treats out and Ember was fine with that, but Ash lost his nerve and fled up the cat tree, setting her off again. More treats fixed the issue, but later on Ash jumped up on a chair and apparently startled Ember. She went after him then and since then basically any time he jumps up on something she'll go after him. They're totally fine in any other situation, especially with food involved, but she doesn't like him jumping up.

Indeed they do. And unfortunately we just keep finding things to get rid of! Though I did get two dog toys and a cat toy out of all of this. Now I can Ash playing again at least for a little while.

I'm not sure if my brother would. He'd probably say yes, but actually setting a time and doing it is an entirely different issue. I'm almost positive his girlfriend would and would be more likely to follow through though. She's a good person and seems to be as invested in these cats as I am. She just wasn't as well informed. I'm not sure if it would be better to aim for a time where the woman is there, though, or go while she's away. It doesn't sound like she's a very sociable or friendly person, but the man is still an unknown.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm. It is good that he let you brush his legs. Maybe he is less bothered but whatever it is now? Or maybe it wasn't his legs. :/ Crabbiness could be coming from the ferals hanging around. Is he walking differently? Or jumping differently? Did he use his litter box like normal?

She really is. She is actually is more "dog like" it seems. Very cool.

It can be very hard. I understand. But you are highly intelligent and very capable and I think you can handle more than you think. We can't control everything (even things in our control like emotions etc) but we can mitigate the affects to some degree. I agree, ignoring something doesn't really work. It really is a fine line, a balance. Not knowing what to do is very common and of course causes unease, stress, etc. I have been there. It is a horrible feeling. BUT I know you can figure it out. Maybe not now, or tomorrow but at some point. You are wise so I am confident you will figure it out. Your mom has your best interests in her heart so I would trust her advice. It is ok if Stella doesn't get out. She will handle it. And I know you can handle her. Your abilities with animals are excellent so I know you can handle it. Sure, it is not ideal but it will not be a disaster either. If you do your best you can handle it. That is good your stress level has come down. So you must be handling things pretty good to have reduced stress. I know the feeling about being confused and lost. Everyone goes through that at some point or points in their life. But I get a sense with your maturity and your intelligence you will figure out a path that helps you get through it. I honestly think you are able to achieve so much. I know you have the skills, I know you have the abilities and I know you have the desire. You will figure out a way, you are too good not to. Everyone faces adversity and roadblocks and failures. Someone told me once, it is not what one achieves but what one overcomes. I know you can overcome this. You are a great thinker and you understand options and paths. You can take complex situations and work through them. Those skills will help you get through this and anything in the future. I am highly confident of that. I think I know you pretty well by know so I can say that honestly as that is what I believe.

Yes, this can happen. It happened to me recently. It was like "whoa, where did that come from". It sounds like Ember was protecting you. Playing mom. Ash's behavior will cause that so it makes sense. I have a feeling the ferals outside are causing this unease. What time of day was this?

Yes, they do. Well, that is actually good to get rid of things. Hopefully you can make some money as well. That is great you got a couple of toys. Let's hope Ash like it!!

Well that is good. Yes, finding a time is difficult I am sure. I just worry that we don't know who really lives there. If it is an older couple then I think his girlfriend would be a good option. But if it is a younger male living there or around at times then I want you to be more careful. I think it would be best if the lady was home as she is probably the most knowledgeable about the situation but they both may be. But you could always talk to the husband and mention you interest in speaking with the wife and setting up a time. But I want you to think about your safety first. I will say, some people can seem very unfriendly but in reality they are just more on guard or cautious. Of course they could be unfriendly but if that family is feeding the cats they must care and have a good heart. So I wouldn't assume they are going to be unfriendly (though the man may be, we just don't know his role in the cats or maybe the man loves the cats and the woman doesn't). It is just impossible to know but in my experience anyone that cares about ferals tend to be pretty good people. And if they know that you are trying to help them and the cats I think they will be responsive to your help.

You could always write a note (since you are a great writer) and mention how you see the cats, care about them, see that they care about the cats because they are feeding them and wanted to offer your help in TNRing the cats and maybe printing out the TNR guide from the US Humane Society so that they can understand all the benefits of TNR and mention that there is an organization that is willing to help and that there would be no cost as they will do all the TNRing. And then mention that you will be back to talk more about this or that you walk by at such and such of time and are happy to discuss this further with them. Do you know if the woman works on the weekends?

Hang in there. You will get through this more challenging time. I know you can handle anything. The only time we lose is if we give up. But if we never give up then we are successful. We may not be millionaires or solve the world's problems but if we make any improvement in the world then we are a success. Making a difference in someone's life. You already have done that with 3 cats and a dog. And I know you are going to have many, many successes in the future. You will succeed. I know it. Just remember how much your cats and dog love you and how much you love them and all you do for them. You make them happy and are giving them great lives. That is fantastic. Just please keep focusing on all the positives in your life and how precious your cats and dog are.

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. He still seems a bit crabby, but much better than he was. His legs don't seem to be bothering him any more than usual. He's walking, jumping, and playing as per usual. Him and Frost are snuggling currently. It's hard to tell if he's using the litterbox normally since there's three cats and I very rarely catch him in it. He's kind of sneaky about it. But it didn't seem like there was less than usual.

Yes, she is a bit dog-like. If I had started training her as a kitten she'd probably be more trainable too.

Honestly, it's hard figuring out what to do. There's a guy claiming to be with the sheriff's department who's come knocking on the door. He's wearing their uniform, not driving their car. The police department don't know anything about it. He doesn't come often which means it could take a while to catch him. There's so many issues with Stella not getting a walk though. We're usually out for close to an hour, sometimes more, each day. We go to the park, do training, etc. It's physical and mental exercise. She's quite noise sensitive even with an hour or more of exercise and 20 minutes or so mental stimulation. Her noise sensitivity just about drives me crazy sometimes. Not to mention I just got her down to a good weight and it's even more important for her to maintain her weight because of her bad knees. She doesn't play much to make up for the lack of walks either. I can hardly get her to play for more than ten minutes at a time. So the walks are very important. I can manage for a day or two, maybe three, but this could last for a week or more.

Hmm.... It was around four-ish, I think. They've continued to have problems. For the most part everything if fine, but if Ash moves too quickly she'll go after him. I wish I could help her, but I don't know what to do. There's just a lot going on at once.

Ash does quite like this toy. It wasn't really made for cats, but it might as well have been. It's just not quite sturdy enough to handle them. I don't think it'll last long.

Well, from what I know it's just an older couple there. I do think my brother's girlfriend would be the better option. She's a bit more friendly and she actually does care about the cats. My brother is... less emotive. I am certainly hoping these people are just guarded and not unfriendly, but I admit I have a habit of fearing and planning for the worse.

A note might be a good idea. Definitely something to consider at least.
I'm not sure if the woman works over the weekends or not.
The one problem with all of this is I'm not longer going for daily walks, so I don't know when I could go whether I knock on the door or leave a note. And I would love to be able to write in a note that I walk by at certain times, so that way it wouldn't require a whole lot of extra effort on their part, but I can't say that I do. Ugh. I don't know why everything happens all at one time.

I will get through this one way or another. I'll be happy when it's over though. It's just too much at one time and I feel terrible that the cats are stressed, but I don't know what to do about it. I can't do anything about the ferals right this moment, I can't do anything about the possible cop knocking on the door, and it's too late to cancel the yard sale considering all the stuff we've gone through already. I love them all very much and I want the best for them. I want the best for all animals, but especially so for my own. They really do mean a lot to me and I make every decision with them in mind.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crabbiness could come from outside ferals and/or uncomfortableness. Do you sense he has any internal driven discomfort? You mentioned his side before. It is good that it seems like the litter box use is normal. And it is great he is walking, jumping and playing like normal. So that suggests it is more likely an outside influence like ferals outside or stress in the household etc. And I LOVE to hear they are snuggling together. Now they can go from loving each other to fighting pretty easily which could cause crabbiness as well. But it sounds like noting too worrying.

She sounds like it. She is pretty good on training already it sounds. She is a really good cat.

OH MY, that is SCARY!!! Hopefully someone gets a description of the car, a license plate number, a description, and the police saturate the area. It is best to be safe for now even though it is not good for Stella. Yes, I can understand where your stress is coming from. And I know how it is with the animals getting restless which makes the humans more stressed which makes the animals more stressed etc. That really is an uncontrollable situation sadly. :( I wish I had a good answer. I just hope the guy gets caught. I wish people were honest in this world. :( Please be safe. Can you move your camera that you just got to show who comes up to your front door?

Hmmmm, I didn't expect it to be 4ish. Yes, if a cat moves too quickly it can set them off. That is why when you see cats outside if they are unknown to each other the one moves very slowly. As to not act like prey or cause unease. Her behavior is actually very normal cat behavior. As to what to do for something like that it is hard to avoid. Building confidence and trying to get them a bit separated and making sure there aren't any "choke points" where there are multiple escape routes. It also could be Ash wanting to play with her. I just had a wild moment. My one girl is running around and my boy (the brother) got startled, got upset, tail got big and he chased her. Sometimes it just happens. Other than trying to keep them from bumping into each other most of the stuff is longer term solutions. BUT at least they didn't really fight which is good (mine didn't either). But it can be stressful to see it out of the blue (I know I was think what was that).

That is great he loves it. Too bad it may not last. :( I know mine go through toys like crazy. :/

That is good and I think we know they seem to care about the cats which is great. As long as you feel like you both will be safe. Just be very careful. Make sure your mom and/or brother know where you are etc. I am guessing they are probably more guarded. It is understandable especially around younger people. And if they don't want to draw attention to themselves for feeding the cats etc. I too tend to think the worst so I know how that goes. But usually things are better than we fear.

Yes, it may be a good option especially how you are thinking about it. Yes, not being able to walk is an issue but you need to think about your safety first. So at some point you can move forward when hopefully this guy gets caught. I know, it always seems to happen like this, everything hits at once and makes it so difficult. I can't tell you how many times a lot of things happen at once for me. That is why there is an old saying "when it rains it pours". :(

You will get through it. Unfortunately it is out of your control. You just have to accept it and just do your best. So just take some time to give them love. Get them to purr. Try to play with them. Give them some treats. Cuddle with them if you can. It actually helps us as much as the cats. That love is really powerful. Yes, you are a great parent taking great care of them. So there is no doubt about your love for them and all you do for them. That is what ultimately will prevail. You all will get through this.

Cops don't like people impersonating them so I am sure they will get this guy, it is a high priority. Hopefully soon.

I hope the yard sale goes well!! Good luck!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was his arthritis at first, but I'm not sure if that faded after the first day or wasn't truly an issue to begin with. It doesn't seem like it's pain driven at this point. Probably just stress driven. He seems to be getting better though. We've had fewer issues.

She's definitely better at coming when called and listening to "no" than the other two.

Honestly, we're not sure what's going on. At this point he may or may not be a cop. My mom said he might be working independently or hired to deliver a note because we have gotten a note that something needed to be signed for, but it wasn't for us. We get this lady's mail all the time. And the mailman actually yelled through the door yesterday saying he had a certified notice or something like that that needed to be signed for. We just don't know if it's coincidence or related. We do have videos of each of his visits and they've been sent to the police. Not sure why they can't find out if he works for them or not.

It's definitely stressful times. We had a yard sale today and I'm taking care of someone's dog, so it's been tough juggling everything. And now our neighbors are throwing a party. I know dealing with the changes is hard for them. I wish I could make it easier. I should probably try fitting in another lay session with all of them though I didn't have much luck doing that with Ember.

I will definitely be careful. I pretty much always am anyway. I do hope the situation is better than I fear. I don't want this to be a case of hoarders and I'm hoping it's just a lack of knowledge that prevents them from doing TNR.

Writing a note is definitely a viable option. I'm not sure what I'd do if they didn't respond though. I guess I have time to think things through since I'm not doing my regular walks. I will be walking again since I have this other dog to care for. He should deter anyone will malintent... But I don't know how he'd react to cats and he isn't great on a leash.

Will do. Today was a long and tiring day, but I'll be able to focus on them more now. It's a bit difficult taking care of animals in two different places, but I have the time.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, arthritis would have made sense. It is really good that you don't think it is pain driven (though cats have a high tolerance for pain). It is good that he is getting better. It very well could be stress driven. So hard to know.

Yes. She is really good. She seems to want to please you like a dog would want.

Hmmmm. Was it your usual mailman? I am so glad you gave the video to the police. Let's hope they figure out what is going on.

Yes, cats like routines, stability. So changes like that can cause unease. Then the human stress impact. The good news is it will ease. I am highly confident it will pass but the feral issue is going to be ongoing until they realize they are not a threat.

Yes. More often than not it is just not knowing what to do and having the resources. Hoarding etc is more rare. I think things will end up fine but I am glad you will be careful.

If they don't respond then you can knock on the door and nicely say that you gave a note and wanted to follow up. Just be careful. Dogs are great protectors but there is still risk and of course the dog can knock a person over, pull them down etc. But you are aware of all that.

Great. Yes, it sounds like a long day on top of a stressful week. :/ It is fun to take care of another dog though so I hope you enjoy that.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is sure doesn't stop him from getting into mischief. He still gets on the counter though he seems to have slowed down. He's been a bit snuggly too.

Yes, to an extent. I wouldn't say her drive is anywhere near the same as Stella's. Though if it means possibly getting food, Ember will ignore every word you say! She's a very food motivated cat which can be both good and bad.

I'm not sure. I didn't look and can't see well even if I did. We seem to get different people every so often though. We had a woman for a while. Back to a man now.

I understand how they feel. It's been a lot of changes and it's been a busy last couple of days. They seem to be doing better now though. Not so much tension.

Well, I guess I have some options to consider as to whether or not I should start with a note. I have some time though. I'm not going to go up there as long as I have an extra dog to take care of and I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with him since I feel terrible leaving him alone.

Sounds like a plan. Loki is actually a terrible protector. I'm pretty sure he has lab (and something giant) in him. He loves everyone and doesn't hardly make a sound even when I go in the house. A burglar wouldn't know there's a dog in the house until he was face-to-face with him. But Loki is a great dog. Doesn't have any manners, but he's sweet and means well and he doesn't seem to put his full strength into anything. He pulls, yes, but he's manageable and mostly just isn't used to taking direction from someone.

It is nice though a bit stressful. I worry about him in the house alone and feel bad when I have to leave him. Not to mention it's difficult having to take care of two dogs who are in two different places. Fortunately Stella is okay with him and I can walk them together.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, nothing stops them from mischief!!! It is so hard to know with cats. It doesn't sound like it is too worrisome which is good.

Yes, but much more than a typical cat. Yes, food motivated can be good and bad but I do think it is more positive than negative. When they aren't food motivated it takes a tool away.

Yes, I get different people as well. But usually there is one that is more often. Try to keep an eye out especially now just to make sure it is legit.

That is really good. Cats REALLY don't like change so it can set off a lot of behavioral issues. I am guessing that was a factor but how much I don't know.

Yes, that makes sense. You will make the best decision and succeed in this.

:( Well, at least he seems like a good dog for the most part. Manners can be improved. Too bad he isn't more of a protector though.

Yes, it always is. I don't like when they are home alone either. But it is really good that Stella can walk with him. That makes it better.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, no major issues.

You should see her when we're eating though. Especially with my mom. With me she tends to be a little more straight forward and pushy. Where my mom sits the couch has a fairly wide arm. Ember gets up there and is just adorable. She taps my mom's arm and hand and headbutts her. She puts her head on my mom's shoulder and has even put the top of her head on my mom's shoulder. I've never seen an animal so aware of how to use it's looks to get what it wants.

I will. At least the mailman respected the no knocking sign. He just yelled. The might-be-a-cop banged on the door like he was ready to break it in.

Yes, now we just have to hope I didn't jinx myself. Hopefully it stays this way. There was some tension today because Ash was in the little cave-type bed and Frost, for whatever reason, stepped on top of it and it caved in on Ash. Ash growled at him. Frost got off and the top of the bed popped back up. Bu then he decided to step on it again. I've no idea why. Being growled at once isn't enough I suppose. And he stayed there while Ash growled at him. Ember got tense and huddled up nearby, but handled it pretty well considering how she normally is.

Oh, yes, manners can certainly be improved. They could have existed when he was a puppy and should have. But people have to want to work on it. I'm not taking care of him long enough to be able to do so. I think his size alone will make anyone think twice before testing him though.

I hate leaving him there. I always want to go over and spend time with him, but I have so many other things to do and my own animals to care for. And, as my mom points out, he'd be left most of the day while they work anyway. He's surprisingly respectful of Stella though. I've taken her over and hung out with them both.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very good.

WOW. She loves your mom as well. That is awesome. Sure she knows how to try to get what she wants but those are really positive actions. I bet that is really cute.

Wow, that is scary that he was like that. It is good the mailman had some respect. I wonder if the "cop" is a bailbondsman or a repo person or something. If someone is up to no good you wouldn't think they would want to attract attention. That is really scary. I would think about calling the cops if he comes back. There is no reason someone acts like that.

Yes, mine have done that as well. They are like "I want to be on top of this, what's the matter?". Cats really don't understand sometimes. :/ It is good that Ember did so well given that. And it is good the boys didn't get into it. Mine will usually growl, hiss then take it a step further if the point wasn't made. Brats sometimes. :/

SO true. Yes, most people will see the size and say "no way".

Yes, it is too bad but that is how it is. It is good he behaves around Stella. He sounds like a good dog really. At least you are making him enjoy life more even if it is for a short time. A little is better than nothing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, well I think part of it is because I don't have anywhere for her to go to be by my shoulder and, since we've cut her down on food, my mom has become the easier target. Though Ember has been laying on my mom's lap more lately. It is really adorable though and it's not that much of a good thing. We usually end up giving in to her!

I don't know. It doesn't seem likely he's up to anything bad because we're pretty sure he knows he's on camera and he's certainly not discreet, but we can't be for sure. We are thinking it has to do with whatever this letter is for this other person, but don't know what to do about it. Why she doesn't change her address, I don't know.

No kidding. They don't seem to understand what growling means sometimes. Frost was just standing there like, "What's that noise? Where's it coming from?" I was expecting Ash to slap at him, but he just kept growling. Ash started getting crabby with Ember while I was brushing him with the Shed Monster today. He was growling at her and she just looked at him. He even slapped her once. I don't know why he got so crabby. He was like that with me too. He usually loves that.

Yep. His family comes back tomorrow though. I have mixed feelings about it.

I was surprised at how well he did with Stella. He's very dog obsessed when we go on walks, but he acts like she isn't there. Which is perfect for her. I wish I could do more for him though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, she is smart. And anyone that gives food tends to get love from a cat. Which is really good because the more your mom falls in love with her the more she will tolerate. But it sounds like Ember is definitely loving her as well which is great. A lot of times a cat has their one fav but if they can expand that love to others I think that is a really big deal and a big positive and a sign that the cat is really feeling secure.

That is logical. He could be a process server for a subpoena. I am guessing the person doesn't change their address because they don't want to be found. :( I am hoping the person isn't bad and is just in a business that requires forcefulness. Do you know if this person is going to other homes? If he is up to bad things he is pretty stupid to not be more discreet. But bad people can be very stupid. Just please be careful.

Well, I think they have so much trust in the other cat that they don't take the growling as it should be taken or how they would take it with an unknown cat. My oldest girl will growl at times and the other cats will not take it like they should either. Because they know she wont really hurt them. If that makes sense. Ash was probably saying "this is my time and not yours Ember". That does happen.

:(

Interesting. It must be the halo of you accepting Stella and so therefore he accepts her. :( I know. I have been there and wished but they must be doing something right because he does seem happy.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ember definitely loves anyone that'll give her food. I suppose it is good that she's bonding with my mom, but if I'm being honest, I prefer one-person animals. She's the first cat I had such a bond with and it's always meant a lot to me, so I guess it's a bit of an adjustment that I'm not the one and only person she'll lay on anymore. I do see the good in it though.

It's really annoying getting her mail and now this. And she apparently stil lives in town. I'm sure this guy is irritated that he hasn't had an answer yet, but I don't know what the heck he expects. It's not like there's a car sitting outside the house. He always tries during the day when people are working. I'm usually pretty discreet myself, so not sure how he'd know I'm there. I don't think he's going anywhere else. He pulls up in front of our house and leaves afterwards. I'll certainly be careful. I do have mace and a whistle on me when I go for walks.

That does make sense. When you think about it, they're all hypocrites really. They growl at each other and expect the others to listen, but they don't listen themselves! And Ash has been pretty quick to growl lately. Sometimes Ember gets to staring at him, but he'll be the one to make the first noise. That's the only thing leftover from his recent bout of crabbiness.

I don't know. It is interesting. Honestly, it's interesting how a dog changes when going from inside to outside. That could've been a huge part of it. Just simply the fact that he met Stella inside. Like Stella did totally fine with my rats, but for a while would want to chase squirrels and rabbits. And she's totally fine with the cats inside, but gets excited and whiny when she sees cats outside. There are dogs that can live with cats just fine, but will still chase them outside. Even the same cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand that. But I really view it as a positive that you built that trust in her that she is strong enough to love another person. So I think you should view it as a major success of how well you have helped her in opening her heart. It doesn't mean she loves you any less it means she can add love to her heart. That is really, really cool. You have done an amazing job with her in a very short time. FANTASTIC!!!

I think there is something you can do with the post office. "No Longer At THIS ADDRESS", things like that. You may want to put a note on the door for this person. How many times has he come now? And how recently? It seems like he is targeting this person so it makes me wonder if she owes money etc. BUT I don't understand why HE/THEY can't google her name or go through proper channels to see the new address for this person. See if you can get a license plate number and description of the car (if at all possible while being safe).

Hahahahaha. You seriously just made me laugh. I know exactly what you mean. They are something. Well, that is good that Ash is better.

Yes, the "halo" effect. The fact they see you accept them tells them they are ok and they know they are not a threat but outside it is a different world. It is pretty amazing how smart and delineating they can be.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try. :) It's an adjustment though. She'd get on my nerves with being so obsessive over wanting on my lap, but it doesn't seem like she's doing that much anymore. I noticed that even before I noticed her going to my mom more. I thought maybe it was because it was getting warmer, but apparently not. I miss her aggravating self always getting in the way.

I don't know. My mom contacted them when we got the note and they just said don't sign for it. That would be it. I think he's been here four times. Twice in one day. I think this past time was April 1st. We've gotten something for her that was possibly about a loan or something like that, so my mom was thinking she might owe money as well. There are definitely a lot of holes though. Things just don't seem to add up.

They are something indeed. Ash's crabbiness does seem to have mostly faded, but he peed on my rug in my room today. I'm rather upset about that and I don't know what to think. At this point it's hard to tell if it's a UTI or just him being him. He's never peed on anything other than a towel before outside of a UTI, but I just don't know at this point.

They are definitely smart. It was still quite astonishing to see. Most dogs are rather rude because they aren't taught any manners. He wasn't taught any manners, but somehow found some with Stella.