Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I wonder if it is an allergy (itchy) if she is grooming a bit more than usual. I know it is hard to tell if it is more. I am guessing it is probably more and she is making it go thinner. I am wondering if it might be the food given it might have started just around the change. Sometimes cats get issues from eating the same protein or an ingredient that is in one food vs another. It might not agree with her but be ok for the boys. You might want to think about switching foods and see if it is helpful.

That is good. Yes, sometimes cats just get a chip on their shoulders. Especially towards the newest cat. It is really good that Ember understands him and doesn't hold it against him.

Yes. It is really cute. Oh I know, it can be dangerous. I love when big cats act like kittens. It is really funny. Really cute.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. It really doesn't seem like more than usual, but she does groom fairly often. I don't think it started around the time we changed food as it's been a while and this has been more recent, but the company certainly could have changed the recipe. I have noticed American Journey is being sold in PetSmart now whereas before it was Chewy's brand and only Chewy sold it. That could be something. I could try giving her the Fancy Feast only. She's losing fur on the backs of her ears now.

Frost used to be really good with Ember. He's definitely changed a lot though. They all have. Ember is more comfortable and has actually done well with another small dog coming over. Frost is the crab who hisses and growls and slaps now. And Ash is becoming a lap cat!

It is really cute to watch. Ash's expression is always adorable though also a bit terrifying. He looks like he's possessed. He ran straight up the cat tree once and looked like he was going to keep going up to the shelf above it which none have yet to attempt to do so far.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it takes time with the food. It isn't the food exactly it is just how a certain cat reacts to that food. If that makes sense. Like there is a treat that one of my cats just does not accept, she throws it up. But the others are fine with them and love them. It is just how a certain protein or ingredient reacts with that cat's system. Not saying that is what it is but it seems like it is possible. I have one cat where I have to rotate foods away from chicken. It is hard to explain but sometimes certain things don't agree at some point. I think PetSmart owns Chewy so it makes sense that they sell it everywhere they can. So I am guessing they didn't change anything in the food. If the food wasn't good the others would be having issues. Sometimes it is just the cat's makeup that just doesn't work with an ingredient or a certain protein. I have two cats that are loosing fur on the backs of their ears as well. Next time I go to the vet I need to ask about that as well. I don't see them scratching etc but they do groom each other and mine are showing no difference in eating, using the litter box, or how they are acting.

They are cats. The do change a bit. I do think outside influences (ferals) can do that though other things can as well and of course nothing at all. :/

Oh I know that look. It is funny but also I little scary. I am guessing at some point they will go up there. :( Hopefully they on't get hurt. Cats awlays want to go wherever they aren't supposed to. I call that look "wild". Hahahahaha, I see it fairly often around here.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've found, it's been about a year since we changed foods, so it's been a while. Not to say it's totally impossible. Allergies can be developed over time and I still believe it's possible the ingredients were changed. Even if there was no change in who's making or selling it, it's possible they decided to change it. I don't have any old cans to compare to though. I don't know much about it, but after a quick search it looks like PetSmart bought Chewy somewhat recently. Perhaps they hadn't messed with the food right off the bat. I do know it wasn't sold at PetSmart until recently. I have seen Ember scratching at her ears a bit, but once again it doesn't seem obsessive or constant. I'm not sure if she's actually doing it at all more than normal or if I'm just noticing it more.

They've changed quite a lot. Except maybe Ember. Her changes have been more subtle, but still prominent. At least they are to me.

It's a funny look. The shelf is pretty full since we have it for plants. I have my doubts that they'd jump up there since they typically only jump if they're confident in the landing, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them try. But that cat tree isn't supposed to be there. It's supposed to replace the one in my room, so it has somewhere else to go if they do try to get up there.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is hard to know because there are so many moving parts. It could be food, it could be flowers, plants, grass, etc. It is so hard to know what might be causing things. It is too bad animals can't talk and tell us, we have to observe and try to figure it out. I tried a high quality food and one of my cats just could not handle it. Had a serious reaction while the others didn't. And I have had it where a cat reacts down the road to the same food and when I called the company they didn't change anything and did not have other complaints. Sometimes things just change or go out of balance. I am guessing a lot of people on here feed American Journey so if it was something with the food it would be all over here. But maybe not, I don't know. I actually am not noticing mine scratching their ears but I may be missing it and you are right, sometimes we notice more at times than other times. So challenging. :/

They can change a lot. For so many reasons. :/

Yes, they do tend to size up the landing area before jumping. But they also tend to see a small opening and think they can land there and sometimes it doesn't go well. Let's hope they choose not to.............. I try to catify my house and they always seem to find a weakness and exploit it. They can be too curious...........

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would very helpful if they could talk and tell us what's wrong, especially in times like these where there aren't any other obvious symptoms. From what I remember when I did the research, American Journey had mixed reviews. At least it did as a dog food. Not anything especially bad, but some noticed an increase in gas and/or poop. That wasn't really a huge concern to me since Stella already had the worst gas and poops fairly often. Other people say their dog/cat won't touch other. Others have no issues whatsoever. Recently I read that it's comparative to Blue Buffalo in protein, fat, and fiber, but has fewer controversial ingredients, so it doesn't seem like a bad food. It doesn't agree with every animal though. You know, I said something about her scratching her ears and now I don't see her doing it. She does have a vet appointment though. Her and Stella are going next week on Thursday.

Ash got in the trash today. Right after I got back from the morning walk, I heard an odd cracking noise. Then Ember spitting. Went over and saw something on the floor between them, but didn't know what it was. I picked it up and discovered it was a piece of a chicken wing we had for dinner last night. Just a tiny piece of bone there and obviously broken. I threw it away, but couldn't figure out how he got it. We didn't leave anything out that I knew of, but it seemed hard to believe that even a cat managed to get in the trash without knocking it over. And it's one with the flap, so I wouldn't have thought they'd try since it looks closed and at an angle. Well, shortly after that I heard a noise and went in to find him half in the trash. I'm still not entirely sure how he did it without knocking it over. So now I'm worried because I'm pretty sure he ate part of the chicken bone and I don't know how much, but there wasn't much of it left and the end looked quite sharp. The trash bag has been taken out, replaced, and then the trash was put in the pantry.

Well, with how Ash is going he's likely going to be the one to jump up on that shelf. And probably knock every glass object off. Maybe I should move the cat tree before he decides to try it...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO true. AND cats have a higher tolerance for pain which makes things even more difficult. I can't imagine being a vet. :( Food is SO HARD to figure out. Everyone has an opinion and opinions are always mixed on everything. I know someone who fed regular Purina cat food and the cat lived healthy to 22 or something. Others the "best" food and less good results. It really is hard in my opinion. It depends on the cat. I know people that smoke, eat poorly and are healthy and people that exercise and watch what they eat and aren't. I think food is very important but so are their genes. My feeling is as long as they are doing well and eating well and are happy and it has protein and not a lot of junk then it is good. It isn't about how expensive the food is but what's in it. I read bad things about supposedly "excellent" food. Ughhhhhhh, it is such a challenge. Since the boys aren't having issues it isn't anything obvious with the food. That is great she is not itching her ears. It very well could be plants blooming etc. Or dust from construction outside etc. So hard to know. It will be interesting to see what the vet says. She seems normal in every other way which is great.

I remember reading an academic paper from I think Cornell School of Vet Med or someone and they said that mouse is the best food/diet for cats. The right balance of protein and hydration. But I am guessing that is raw and that is why no cat food is mouse based.............. My ferals do choose their food over mouse for the most part so I don't know.

Ughhhhhh. Yep, they will do that. They are very clever in getting into things. Ash is smart. The good news is cats are REALLY knowledgeable about bones etc. I know cooked are different from raw. I am guessing that he didn't ingest anything bad. I would keep an eye on him but let's hope there is nothing wrong. I honestly don't even know what a vet would do to solve it. :(

He definitely feeling confident. Like a superhero cat. Yeah, that might be a good idea. I have cats like that too where I have to try to catify everything and then they find what I missed. They really are something. Never a dull moment, huh? :/

Last edited:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is really difficult with the food. My cats did fine on Purina for as long as I had them on it. At least until Frost stopped eating. I changed it because I didn't want it to cause problems down the road and because giving them bad food in unacceptable to me. But yes, everyone tolerates things differently. I fall more under the second category between those two myself though I could certainly be better about food and exercise. It could be an allergy to something else though. I've actually been doing better with my allergies this spring, but my mom has been struggling a bit. I'm not sure what it is. Usually I'm the one that's miserable during spring, so it's not one of my allergies. At least not one of the main ones.

I would say that that makes sense. They were basically designed to live off of small rodents. But no one survives off of just one thing, so there has to be other stuff they can eat and be fine with. It's just a matter of balancing it out. I would imagine some of the nutrients would be lost if one made mouse into a cat food though. If it was made into a dry food you'd end up with the same problem with moisture. Not to mention someone would have to have a mouse farm and raise a bunch of mice.

Well, I know cooked chicken bones are the worst kinds of bones to give them because they splinter so easily. However, he seems fine. More than fine, he's been quite pleased with himself. He's been in a very good mood. He wants attention at all the worst times and even yowled in the middle of the night the other night which he hasn't done in a while. And early this morning after being fed.

Pfft… "Superhero" isn't exactly the word I'd use, but yeah, definitely confident. I swear he's worse now than he ever was as a kitten or teenager. He's going backwards! Like Benjamin Button. That's a scary thought. They do like finding all the gaps and loopholes and things that were overlooked.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. It is just very hard to know. My sense is most of the foods (within reason) are good and it depends on the cat's genes. But that is not scientific at all. I think we all could be better about food and exercise. :( I know I sure could. :( That is interesting on allergies. I am glad you are doing well but not good your mom isn't. It will be interesting to see what the vet thinks. I think as long as she seems happy and eats well and eats normal and uses the litter box normal and she isn't itching all the time and raw there then it can't be too bad. It could be an immune response thing. It is just so hard to know. And we worry about things like that but have such little control. I am thinking it isn't anything too worrying.

Yes. I see my ferals eating grass sometimes which is a response to missing a nutrient. You are right. I think they try to figure out what is best and given house cats can live into the 20s they are doing something right with the food it seems. Yes, I wouldn't like raising mice just for food. :(

Yes, they do splint easily. You actually made me laugh with this post. "However, he seems fine. More than fine, he's been quite pleased with himself." I can just picture him. He thinks "wow, did I do good getting into there". Cats!!! Yep, mine was "calling" me this morning to say "get up, I need some love!!". Hahahahaha, they really are something.

Hahahaha, you just made me laugh out loud again. Twice in the same post. TOO FUNNY!! I know they get confident and get that burst of young energy, kitten energy. Yes, sadly they are VERY good at finding the openings and weak points. Never fails. :/

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most foods could be better. Some a lot better. Not all are necessarily bad though. I always find it a bit odd that there are so many vegetables in a food made for carnivores, but they're nearly impossible to avoid. I hope it's nothing serious though. I hope it's not the food, but I'd rather it be that than something serious. If it is an allergy then hopefully it's something that can be managed. She seems totally fine, but the fur loss is driving me crazy. It makes me a bit sad to see her missing fur, honestly. I'm working on getting her used to the crate. I'm hoping to get her to be able to go in willingly and her be okay with being lifted and moved, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get there in time for the vet visit.

Stella eats grass fairly often and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure she's done it for as long as I've had it. It seems focused around times of high activity outdoors where she's getting a bit hot, but I don't know what the connection is. Indeed, something must be right for them to be able to live as long as they do. There could probably be some improvements, but it seems cats do pretty well in our care. And I'm not raising mice as cat food!

Lol. I wish it was as funny to actually deal with. He's been a bit of a pain. Especially the yowling. He's been doing that at night again. He had stopped doing that. I think he's calming a bit, so hopefully he stops that soon. I am glad he seems okay though. It really scared me when I realized he had gotten a bone.

Well, laughing is always good. I can't say the idea of dealing with a 10lb kitten is very appealing though. That's kind of terrifying.

Have you ever heard of a cat growing a whisker in the middle of his cheek? Or a whisker that's harder that normal? Preferably both combined? I stabbed my finger on something sharp on his cheek when I was petting him. I was able to find it and it's white and somewhat whisker-like, but thick and pretty short. It's like a broken whisker, but I never saw it when it was grown. It freaked me out a bit because we both had the thought that it was like the little plastic things tags are attached to things with, but it's in his cheek.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you are probably right. I have seen cats do well on "basic" food and not do well on "great" food so I think it really depends. I am not an expert but I remember reading about why veggies are important. The Cornell University School of Vet Medicine is a good source for information if I remember correctly. Bu tI can't remember much about veggies. I do know that the ferals will eat grass when their stomachs are not feeling well or they lack a nutrient.

I hope it is not serious either. The food would be easy if it is that. But it may not be. The timing suggests it could be but there are so many things. The vet will be a great source of info. I know the hair loss is worrying and not fun BUT she seems to be doing well everywhere else. If she was lethargic or acting differently or not eating well or losing weight etc then it would be more worrisome. It could be a household cleaner or detergent etc. Just so hard to know as it could happen very soon or with a lag. Just so hard to know.

Use treats to get her used to the crate. Just let her know it is ok and reward her with treats etc. It is good she is food motivated.

Oh yes, dogs do and cats. Grass helps them when their tummies are upset or when they feel like they are lacking nutrients. I agree, we must be doing something right that they do live well and really healthy most of the time. But sometimes genetics can be bad because of overbreeding etc and I am not sure great food would do much with that. :( NO!!! I agree, I could not raise and animal to use them as food. I just can't do that. :(

Oh I know. I have one that lacks to yowl for the other cats. Usually it is for the other inside cats but it may also be for the outside cats since she knows my outside ferals as well. I hope he does not bother you all going forward. Yes, I am really glad he is doing well. Cats are smart so I am guessing he didn't ingest the bone. But is is VERY worrying.

Yes, agreed. Laughing is good for the soul. Oh I know. Mine can get really wild and it can be scary. My boy is 14lbs he is a BIG cat and he can be really wild. If he runs into a person he can knock them down.

Oh yes, I have seen that. My others are sleeping right now but I looked at my girl and she has them except hers are longer (but not real long). I'll check the other ones when they get active (they are lazy sleeping right now). But I have seen that and never thought anything of it. Maybe I am not understanding it but I think it would be a whisker. If it was a plastic thing he would be grooming it I would imagine to try to get it out. He would definitely be focusing on it and it would probably be swollen. Just keep an eye on it just in case it is something though. But I wouldn't worry too much.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem to depend. There are a lot of animals that do well on one food, but not so well on another. I'm not sure what reasoning there is behind having vegetables, but I'll probably see it as weird until it becomes an accepted fact that cats are omnivores. Before then... it's weird.

The food is relatively easy, except then I'd have to find a new one. American Journey was a good compromise because it was a decent quality, but a lot cheaper than most high quality food. I don't really want to go back to low quality food. I'd be back to researching food and that was complicated. If there were any other symptoms then she would have gone to the vet immediately. She is always cold even though it hasn't been that cold, but that's something I was only recently able to notice since it's been warming up outside.

I am. She's getting her meals in the crate and yesterday I lured her in there with treats and gave her them in the crate. I actually got to waving my hand into the crate with no treat and she'd go in on her own. She made more progress than I expected.

I did know that animals eat grass when their stomach is bothering them which worried me at first, but Stella eats it
all the time
. Maybe for moisture? She's been on a few different foods, so it seems like she would have stopped at some point. Particularly when she got a mix of dry and wet, and so was eating two different foods. I don't like it when she eats it because then she spits it up, but it's hard to get her to stop. Genetics do seem to affect a lot. More than I even realized, honestly. When you start looking into breeding dogs (not because I want to breed dogs, but because I was looking into dog breeds) you start seeing how much it affects.

I don't even know why he yowls. It's funny if you respond to him. He knows if you're talking to him. I'm not sure how, but he does. He gives you this wide-eyed look and gives a softer, pathetic mew back. Eventually, if you keep talking to him, he comes over to get attention. I don't know where the bone would've gone if he hadn't eaten it. There was only a small piece left. Either way, as long as he's fine I'm happy.

Oh my. I'm glad Ash doesn't run into people. He probably couldn't knock them down, but he might leave a bruise. I have had him trample my feet while I'm taking a step. He'd probably tear all the curtains down if he was much crazier though. He already damaged the wall and broke the holder thing for the last curtain rod in the dining room.

I will keep an eye on it. It didn't make sense for it to be something stuck because it didn't seem red or sore and he wasn't bothered by it, but it seemed off. It's not where the other whiskers are. It's off on it's own and it's thick, stiff, and hard. Like if you cut a tag off of a shirt and poke the end of where you cut it. It feels exactly like that. It's short too. Shorter than the fur on his cheek. Ash doesn't have it and I've never noticed it before. I couldn't think of anything it could be other than a whisker, but I'm paranoid.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you. I thought I read something about veggies but I couldn't find it. I did find these though that might be interesting.

Feeding Your Cat

What pet food should I feed?

How Often Should You Feed Your Cat?

Cats tend to be cold but maybe just mention it to the vet. Any information you can bring up to a vet can be helpful.

WOW!!! THAT is AWESOME!! Really great work. She came along a lot faster than most. You have built a lot of trust with her.

Hmmmmm, for cats and dogs it they often eat grass to either get nutrients they are missing (I think) or so they can throw up. If Stella is eating it and not always throwing up after then maybe it is the first one? I thought I knew why they do it but maybe I don't or I forgot. I haven't thought about it in a while. Yes, genetics are REALLY important and of course the environment like air quality, cleaning solutions, pesticides, etc.

I think usually they are calling someone (cat or human). My cat will meow or yowl to get my attention or to get me to sit down so she could go on my lap etc. Just get attention or love. Hmmm, I wonder where they put the bone. You may find it in 6 months somewhere. :/

Yes, that is good. Yeah, my ferals will run into me as well. Some cats like to rub hard as well and almost knock a person over.

I checked mine and they have that whisker there. I am guessing his broke off as it is easy to when they put their head on the side etc. I see broken whiskers once in a while. It is good you are aware and worry but I am guessing if it was something bad he would be trying to get rid of it. But I never want to turn someone away from focusing on something just in case it is something because I can't see it and feel it. But usually a cat will be taking their paw and trying to get it out etc if it was something foreign. I wouldn't worry but stay observant.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to look through those.

I will. She very well could be losing more heat due to the lack of fur. It got chilly again all of sudden and she's been absolutely desperate for warmth. I don't think she got that bad in the middle of winter. Though we had heat on in winter.

She's really doing well. I can get her in the kennel before giving her her food now and I'm slowly reducing the gesture when giving her the command to get in. I really need to work with her individually more. She's so smart and so food motivated, I could probably get her to do anything, but working with all three of them I'm too rushed. I can't take the time to focus on really teaching any of them anything.

I don't know. What are the chances of her missing a nutrient in all of her food? She started off on Beneful dry and wet. Then it was Beneful dry and Racheal Ray wet. Then American Journey dry. It seems like she would've been getting the nutrients at some point. She usually spits up a little after eating grass if she runs or gets excited, but doesn't seem to be feeling ill. I've definitely read about them eating grass because of an upset stomach and the lack of nutrients sounds familiar, so I think they are reasons. I'm just not sure if there's any others.

Ash yowls at the walls and ceiling. He makes me feel like there's a ghost or something. He'll go in another room and yowl like he's lost even if he just left the room we were in. He's weird. I do think he ate the bone though. I heard a crunching noise which was what made me go over and check it out.

I'm just a very paranoid person. I couldn't think of any logical reason it would be something other than a whisker. It didn't make sense. But it worried me because it seemed so hard. I actually hurt myself on it and I still sometimes do. Hopefully it'll fall out or something. Scratching his cheeks isn't fun when I get stabbed on a broken whisker.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't all that great and helpful and detailed but I think they are pretty good. Maybe it can help a little.

Yes, that could be. Oh poor Ember. I hope everything is ok. When you say desperate what exactly does she do? DO you know how cool the house was at the time? Sometimes if you have the windows open and the heat off and it gets later in the day it can dip to low 60s which can feel really cold. Cats especially are more sensitive to the cold.

She is doing amazingly. I am really impressed. She sounds like she is really intelligent. I know it is hard, I have trouble giving all my cats the attention they want and need.

It doesn't sound too likely she is missing a nutrient. But one never knows. Maybe she doesn't absorb well? So hard to know. I would ask the vet as they would know.

Yes, they do do that. It could be they sense something else. My guess is he is calling Frost or Ember or you or your mom or a cat outside though. My one cat is doing that a lot lately. I think she is calling another cat or animal. Hmmmm, wow. I am surprised he would have eaten the bone. But I guess it is possible he did. I am glad he didn't have any ill effect.

Oh, I think it is caring and because you love them. That is why we worry and panic. Yes, they can be REALLY hard and dangerous really. I have been poked many times. Especially when they break off. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything helps though even what's helpful can be confusing when it comes to food.

It's nothing major, but she was always wanting some sort of warmth and still does to an extent. She was always on us if one of us was sitting down and even trying to get under a blanket on her own if she couldn't get under one with us. She doesn't usually get under blankets without one of us under them. Sometimes she crawls up under a sheet, but it's usually more playful. I know the house got down to sixty degrees which is a bit cold even for us. It's usually sixty five or so in the winter.

She is doing well. She's comfortable with the door being pretty much shut. Well, at least as long as I'm feeding her. She puts herself in it for meals and sometimes during the training session.

I don't know. She's going to vet as well, so I can definitely ask.

I think it's a bit odd that both Ash and Ember will go around meowing like I need to get up and go to them when at other times they have no problem with coming over to me to get attention. When Ember starts meowing, she pretty much refuses to come to me. I have to go to her. Cats can be odd creatures.

I do love them. It would be nice if they didn't all have problems and do dangerous things at the same time. I never knew whiskers could be dangerous though!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, agreed.

That doesn't sound too bad. Now it does depend on their prior behavior. But it sounds pretty normal for a cat especially if it got a bit cooler as you mention. Just keep an eye on her and mention to the vet the next time. I wouldn't worry too much though, it doesn't sound bad.

That really is FANTASTIC!! Great job!! That is one of the hardest things in my opinion since cats like multiple exits.

I would ask. But I wouldn't worry too much, she sounds happy and healthy.

Hahahahaha, yep. I think they like to see us be controlled by them sometimes. And oftentimes they are calling another cat. Cats..............

Yes, they are so easy to love. Yes, they can be a bit too mischievous. Yes, they can be when broken off. They can be very stiff and sharp. :(

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was just a little bit out of the norm for her. She doesn't typically get under covers without a person being under them. But it did get a bit chilly rather quickly and she is missing a fair amount of fur. However, vet trip was today. Ember did better than I expected. She didn't make a sound the entire time. Very quiet. Stella made enough noise for them both though. Ember definitely seemed overwhelmed, but she wasn't completely shell shocked. She was looking around and curious. She did not appreciate being handled by the vet and vet tech, but was quiet and did well with her shots. The vet isn't sure what it is either. The skin seems healthy, so she said it seems likely to be behavioral. We're supposed to make some changes in the environment to help with potential stress and ordered a refill for Feliway. If it doesn't help, we call back and she's to be treated for allergies. If not that, then bloodwork. Ember was pretty much back to normal the second I opened the kennel door once we got home. She was a little tense and looked around, but started talking to me immediately and had her tail up. She is to go back for a dental in a couple of months because she has some tartar build up.

Stella ended up being the problem. She whined most of the way there. She got a heartworm test, her nails trimmed, and was updated on her shots. We got home and she ended up having a mild reaction to the shot. My mom touched her and she yelped. Then she was panting and trembling terribly and wouldn't leave me. We called the vet and were told to bring her back in case of a severe reaction. They gave her a steroid shot as a precaution and she's supposed to take Benadryl for a few days.

Yeah, I think she could get used to being in it and going places. I'd really like it if she could and plan on continuing to work on it.

I did ask about the grass eating. She said dogs are omnivores, so it's actually quite normal for them to eat grass.

It does seem like that at times.

Haha, yes. I saw Ash go for the shelf above the cat tree the other day and moved the cat tree shortly after that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, given it was colder than normal it is not too surprising she wanted to be warm. But sometimes things can cloud the issue. It is so hard to know what is really going on. She did really well with the vet. I am really impressed. It is common for a cat to be more stoic during a vet visit. They tend to "freeze" a bit. But she sounds like she did really well which is great. It is really good that her skin is healthy. That is good. What do you think? Do you think it is stress? She doesn't seem stressed from what i hear and she doesn't seem to be excessively grooming BUT I am not there. It sounds like the vet thinks it could be allergies. Do you know if you made any changes on cleaning products, detergents, plants in the house etc? It doesn't sound like the vet was too worried, is that right? It is fantastic that she bounced right back when she got home. That is a great sign the vets handled her really well which is great.

Poor Stella. That can happen sadly. Ughhhhhh. It is so scary. I hope Stella s ok. I don't know if some of the doses are bad or what but I have heard more of those reactions lately than I ever have. :(

It is great since vet visits are so important and of course the benefit of other reasons.

Great, that is good news.

YES, VERY often.

Yep. :( They just can't resist.......................... I am glad you moved the tree. It is so hard to cat proof everything but you solved one potential risk. Good job.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did do well. Ash meows the whole way there and most of the way back when we taken him. Ember was eerily quiet and she wouldn't take treats, she was responsive and alert. She spent most of the time huddled up in the corner in the back of the crate. I don't really know what to think. She doesn't seem stressed and I don't see her pulling her fur out, but the vet still seems to think that's what it is and wants to go that route first. From what I got, allergies aren't really likely because her skin is so healthy, but it's possible. It's hard to keep up on what changed when. We change detergent pretty regularly, so I've no idea what we were using at the time. It seems unlikely it's the same as what we're using now as my mom gets something different often. No other changes that I can think of though. The vet didn't seem concerned, but perhaps a little lost. She was also different. We've only seen one vet, but she wasn't there, so we had a different one. I liked her. I'm not sure why, but I did. She did tell me what grade Stella's luxating patella is at which is more than the other vet.

It was pretty scary. Her eyes looked like they were going to bug out of her head. In the car, she got to the point where pretty much all of her weight was in my hands. She wouldn't let me lay her down, but she wasn't holding herself up either. She was a bit nervous for a while after that and didn't want her back end being touched. She was also very tired. She took me to bed at 7:30 before she had even eaten. The vet said there have been a lot of dogs reacting to shots lately. She thought they might've changed what's in it, but wasn't sure.

It figured too. They had gone so long without ever trying to get up on the shelf. I say something about it and Ash tries to get up there.