Stray/semi-feral And Two Indoor Cats - Is This Worth It Anymore??

littlekitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I'm having a problem that is just breaking my heart, and I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue anymore. (I'm new here - so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or doing something wrong or posting in the incorrect space. Please forgive me if I am. I'm happy to post elsewhere. I just really need advice).

My husband and I have two three year old boy cats that I adopted together when they were kittens, Roger and Rafa. They've been sweet boys and are very spoiled (I work from home, so am always around to care for them). They are the loves of my life and until now, I've had zero issues with them whatsoever.

However, a few months ago my backyard patio (adjacent to a city alleyway) became a haven of sorts for a small colony of stray and feral cats. Maybe 5-7. Two of them in particular started showing up a lot more, so we started feeding them and caring for them when they came around. We noticed the smaller one may be pregnant, so last March we got her spayed and ear tipped. She's a sweetheart and she let us pet her, came whenever she was called, waited for her food, rubbed against our legs, etc. We called her Ghost - she's a teeny white cat. The other one was a bit more independent, but still came all the time. He was a lot friendlier; he'd jump into my lap, demand attention and head pets, and was overall the friendliest cat I've ever seen. He's a grey tabby, and we named him Greywind. Ghost is probably just under a year old, and Greywind is somewhere between 1-2 years.

Because it's a back alleyway, we have neighbors with properties connected to ours. One in particular is a mean, abusive alcoholic who started making threats against the feral cats out back. We managed to trap one more pregnant cat a few weeks ago (definitely feral), eartipped her, and returned her back there. But I knew it would kill me if anything were to happen to Ghost and Greywind, and Greywind in particular really seemed like he wanted a home (he snuck into my house uninvited once when the door was open!).

So, I recently found a friend to adopt Greywind. We took him and Ghost inside at the same time (last Thursday), into a small "safe" room in the house, and they were really good together. Ghost in particular was much more social with him in there than she was when we took her in for her spay surgery. We got Greywind neutered and vaccinated on Friday, and on Saturday, he went off to live in his new home (where he's adjusting fairly well, all things considered!). But my friend definitely couldn't take two cats - his apartment is too small and his roommate only allowed one.

We decided to keep Ghost. We had been thinking about it for a while, and now that things with my neighbor have escalated, we decided it had to be done. And this is the problem. She's really sweet, curious, and is great about exploring. We let her tentatively come out after two days of being in her safe room, and she hardly ever goes back in there (we still have some rooms closed off to her, and try to keep her in there at nights). She's still skittish and doesn't like being picked up, but she likes being close by me for most part, and she rubs against my legs and purrs when she's pet. I think she'd like to connect to Roger and Rafa since she's (presumably) always lived around other cats - she's seems curious about them, but doesn't invade their space ever. But, Roger and Rafa are not having it.

I've tried so many things. I scent swapped (inconsistently) while she was still an outdoor cat, anticipating we may take her in someday. I'm still keeping up scent swapping. I've tried exchanging rooms, playing with toys with all of them, calming treats, shared feeding times and rooms, clicker training. She's been really, really great about it. But my cats are another story. Rafa in particular wants absolutely nothing to do with her. If I approach him with something that smells like her, he hisses and backs away. They've both taken a few swats at her if she invades their space, and she calmly backs away a few feet and lets them have their space. Rafa is now "stalking" her, and can't seem to stay focused on anything like food or toys if he suspects he's around. Roger is more tolerant, and has licked her head and touched noses with her on a couple occasions, but then will later hiss to mark his territory if she approaches him.

Today my heart just broke when I opened the back door to the alley (where Ghost and Greywind used to live). She immediately started meowing and tried to jump through the screen. She kept this up for over 10-15 minutes. I had a little bit of a break down after that. I feel like I've been trying so hard to make them all feel happy and safe and loved. It's truly all I think about. I love this sweet new girl, but I also love Roger and Rafa so much and never wanted them to feel anxious or stressed about this. I also feel a constant sense of guilt for separating her and Greywind, and also sadness at missing Greywind, who I really feel like I bonded with in the past few months. And today, seeing how much she wants to be in her old home, and how much my cats want her also to be in her own home, it's just too much.

I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories or advice, or if maybe you think it's time I let Ghost go.

Thank you for reading. I sincerely appreciate any and all thoughts and words on this.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello littlekitkats littlekitkats , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see.

Bless your heart for taking care of Ghost and Greywind. It's good to hear that Greywind has been adopted and adapting well.

As for Ghost, my heart is with you. It's a tough decision, on one hand you want her inside and on the other, she wants out. It could be the integration of cats that has not gone well. Can you try reintroducing them again? It's definitely worth it.

Here are some readings to that :-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Is she out back to the alley? If she's fixed and she'll still come back for feeds, maybe take her as an outdoor cat. Just that hope she is safe from danger. Make a small hideout outside your back door and hope she uses it as her base.

There are some who have similar situation or have experiences as you may come along to help out. Hang in in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlekitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had her in the house?
She was in the house for a few days in March for her spay, and now has been in the house for five days this time. I know it's still early and I need to give it time. But what if the time is making everyone so miserable? Shouldn't I see more progress with Rafa by now, if he's ever going to fully come around?

littlekitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello littlekitkats littlekitkats , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see.

Bless your heart for taking care of Ghost and Greywind. It's good to hear that Greywind has been adopted and adapting well.

As for Ghost, my heart is with you. It's a tough decision, on one hand you want her inside and on the other, she wants out. It could be the integration of cats that has not gone well. Can you try reintroducing them again? It's definitely worth it.

Here are some readings to that :-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Is she out back to the alley? If she's fixed and she'll still come back for feeds, maybe take her as an outdoor cat. Just that hope she is safe from danger. Make a small hideout outside your back door and hope she uses it as her base.

There are some who have similar situation or have experiences as you may come along to help out. Hang in in there.
Thank you for your kind post! Ghost is still inside. I can try re-introducing them. My only concern is keeping Ghost locked up even more than she is now, when she seems so happy to roam and explore and be around things. Won't that make her even more unhappy?

I've thought about setting her up with an outside home. I would just worry about her so much back there. I've seen her dart around in the streets before, and there are some bully cats out there too. And there are definitely some aspects she likes about being inside. I don't think she'd ever seen a soft blanket before, and she's obsessed with them! I also hate the idea of putting her back outside without her buddy Greywind. So many emotions. Gah.

Thank you again!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued and socialized two feral cats at work. For the first month and a half after trapping them they wanted outside desperately. Over time their desire to get back outside has diminished. I felt a little guilty forcing them to stay inside at first but stuck with it because they are far better off inside than outside. I had them at work on the outskirts of a city with a lot of wild animals around, not safe for them. As you pointed out you are worried about a neighbor doing something so it really is in the cat's best interest that she stays inside.

I had them at work for close to a year before taking them home to merge with my other two cats. I have had them at home for over a month and a half. For the first 3-4 weeks I kept them in the room and then slowly started letting them out to roam the house. At first for short periods of time where they were just in the hallway near their safe room. Then longer and further away from their room. Now it's been over a month and a half they roam the house with the door to their safe room open day and night. My two original house cats were and still are not overly happy about it but things are slowly progressing. The occasional hiss but a lot less than a couple of weeks ago.

The whole process of rescuing the cats and then later integrating them with my other cats has been time consuming and has required a lot of patience. It has been well worth it because I sleep well at night knowing the cats are inside and safe. I really hope you can stick with it, from what you have described it is what is best for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a months-long process, and can be uncomfortable for everyone in the beginning.

I do not think you should let her back out. I think you have done the right thing with both cats by re-homing and bringing them inside.

Buy a couple of plug-in Feliway diffusers in put them in the main rooms where the cats hang out. They are cheaper online, along with refills, and can go a long way towards calming all the cats.

The best thing to do is to have patience and give it time. You will slowly see the cats begin to accept each other.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for your kind post! Ghost is still inside. I can try re-introducing them. My only concern is keeping Ghost locked up even more than she is now, when she seems so happy to roam and explore and be around things. Won't that make her even more unhappy?

I've thought about setting her up with an outside home. I would just worry about her so much back there. I've seen her dart around in the streets before, and there are some bully cats out there too. And there are definitely some aspects she likes about being inside. I don't think she'd ever seen a soft blanket before, and she's obsessed with them! I also hate the idea of putting her back outside without her buddy Greywind. So many emotions. Gah.

Thank you again!
Please keep her indoors. Life is better for her indoors.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats absorb stress from the owners. I get the feeling this is really stressing you out, which in turn will affect your cats. There's this stuff you can buy at Whole Foods stores called Rescue Remedy which a cat lady I know swears by. It can be used by both people and cats. Another thing to try is to buy some Obsession for Men cologne. Cats love it. And as suggested the Feliway. Deal with your own stress first, and then keep trying different things, maybe one cat at a time. Treat it as a science experiment. Like the Jane Goodall of cats. I have a feeling if you do this and give it some time it will work out. Remember that cats are like children. If you have a sick child you have to keep inside, they will get upset. But you have to do what is best for the child.

littlekitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. I really, really appreciate your encouragement and optimism. Deep down I guess I know I can't let her back outside, and yes, it is really stressing me out. I need to refocus and reprioritize and be sure I'm doing this right. Thank you for all these suggestions. The Obsession for Men thing is hilarious - I definitely want to try that! I'm glad to hear it's worked out for you before, and I hope in a few months I can give someone some words of wisdom as well on this matter!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , this can be a months-long process. Patience is key. Calming treats work for some cats. Having said that, only two of my four would eat them :sigh: so they didn't really work for us, but it might be worth a try for yours. Is an outdoor enclosure a possibility for you so that Ghost could still enjoy the outdoors, but be safe? It doesn't have to be big, it could even be a window box. Search 'catio' or 'cat enclosure' on this site and you'll see some ideas.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience, patience and more patience. As has been stated, this can take months. If you meditate, I highly recommend it to keep YOU sane and in a calm state of mind while all this goes on. You making a good start, but don't expect things to happen in days, or even a few weeks. On the other hand, we've seen cases that looked hopeless for 4-5 weeks, then turned around on a dime. Bless you for taking this little orphan in and giving her the best chance at a good life!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
How does Roger feel about things? Is Rafa the alpha between the two of them?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Welcome to TCS, LittleKKs! Bless you for accepting the challenge of rescuing ferals - soon you will be sharing wisdom gained from experience. You have been given great advice here already but I'd like to add an additional approach using cats' curiosity. If Ghost can become a source of amusement, the others might accept her more. You could try attaching a wand toy to an old fishing rod and try engaging all 3 - cats typically form a circle and take turns. The pole allows them to all participate yet still allow plenty of personal space between cats. If they do like hunting the teaser, occasionally allow Ghost to catch the toy and then let go, allowing her to drag the toy along and hopefully your older boys will chase the toy with her dragging it. Then resume control (you dont want Ghost becoming "prey"). It might help 2 add a shelf or table nearby, for a cat to use as an observation deck - sometimes they prefer to watch, jump down and join in momentarily, then jump back up. And please keep up the good work - your neighbor sounds like a genuine threat to the safety of outdoor cats...prayers and vibes that he's only spewing impotent threats :vibes::vibes::vibes:

littlekitkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! It's been a while since I posted and I'm not sure you'll see this but I wanted to give an update - things are going much better. There's NO hissing between them, and Rafa (who yes, is the dominant one) and Roger will allow Ghost to sleep near them. Occasionally there will be some tentative face licks, and yes there's still occasional swatting as well. But a lot of patience, playtime, treats, and time seemed to resolve most of these issues. We love having her now that things are calmer and our house would feel empty without her. Thank you all SO much for helping me during this low point! I can't tell you how much your kindness and wisdom helped. You're all the best!