Stomach goes gargle

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She in fact has been vomiting less, every couple of days instead of every day. Though her poor gi system has been nosier then every, and she is now starting to lack energy and is drinking less water. I think even she is scarred of vomiting again, she is even slowing down on eating, but thankfully hasn't given up. The pedialyte did give her a small boost of energy but sadly it didn't last. And that stupid bottle has to be used within 48 hours of opening it... UGH I hate it when food/drink products have to be used like that.

Nope you haven't missed anything the food she was talking about was the baby food and sheba wet food.... and her tone of voice sounded like she didn't believe me that, that is all we were giving her...

Sorry for this being so long I didn't expect this journey to have so many ups/down and emotional upheavals
First off, please don't apologize! Cats' digestive issues are notoriously difficult to diagnose and solve. Sometimes they get solved even without being fully diagnosed. (That's what happened with Edwina... I'm glad she's doing well but I'd really love to know what to avoid in the future!) It's just awful when a cat barfs and you have no idea how to resolve it. Lots of us have gone through this and I'm sorry you're going through it, too.

Most important, I'm glad Meow Meow really is vomiting less. You said she's less energetic. Do you think you might be able to feed her a little more, with some extra water in the food? Or maybe she's already up to her full ration again? Are you still feeding her the treats (Bursts, I think they were?) that seemed to help calm her stomach when it gurgled?

The baby food and Sheba are fairly simple foods so I could definitely understand if Meow Meow's doing better eating just those. If she was eating food before that contained (just as examples) carrageenan or agar-agar or potato, that would mean she's stopped eating an ingredient that causes problems for some cats... As I said, we've had quick results from eliminating ingredients like those from our cats' diet. You never know. Sometimes luck plays a big role! I remember when I told our vet that Ireland stopped coughing for years (literally five years!) just because we switched kitty litter brands. Yes, she was still diagnosed with asthma but that kitty litter kept her doing well for a long, long time. And it was simple luck that made me switch the litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off, please don't apologize! Cats' digestive issues are notoriously difficult to diagnose and solve. Sometimes they get solved even without being fully diagnosed. (That's what happened with Edwina... I'm glad she's doing well but I'd really love to know what to avoid in the future!) It's just awful when a cat barfs and you have no idea how to resolve it. Lots of us have gone through this and I'm sorry you're going through it, too.

Most important, I'm glad Meow Meow really is vomiting less. You said she's less energetic. Do you think you might be able to feed her a little more, with some extra water in the food? Or maybe she's already up to her full ration again? Are you still feeding her the treats (Bursts, I think they were?) that seemed to help calm her stomach when it gurgled?

The baby food and Sheba are fairly simple foods so I could definitely understand if Meow Meow's doing better eating just those. If she was eating food before that contained (just as examples) carrageenan or agar-agar or potato, that would mean she's stopped eating an ingredient that causes problems for some cats... As I said, we've had quick results from eliminating ingredients like those from our cats' diet. You never know. Sometimes luck plays a big role! I remember when I told our vet that Ireland stopped coughing for years (literally five years!) just because we switched kitty litter brands. Yes, she was still diagnosed with asthma but that kitty litter kept her doing well for a long, long time. And it was simple luck that made me switch the litter.
I've been feeding her very small portions (1/3 Sheba with extra water) every time she asks, and then a small handful of the Bursts treats and after this mornings vomit/hairball she has been doing better. But evening/night time seems to always be the worst, fallowed by first thing in the morning. She hasn't wanted to cuddle to much today but I'm not hearing her tummy. Not to sure what the vet will make of it all, and honestly I have my hopes but can't help but to remember she did this a few days ago to, where she did really good then got bad again. Kind of a fingers crossed, pinch of salt, kind of situation... Which if ibd in cats is like it is in humans the ups and downs would be a normal thing. Tom also had asthma and when we started mixing the clay litter with grass his asthma also got so much better.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding her very small portions (1/3 Sheba with extra water) every time she asks, and then a small handful of the Bursts treats and after this mornings vomit/hairball she has been doing better. But evening/night time seems to always be the worst, fallowed by first thing in the morning. She hasn't wanted to cuddle to much today but I'm not hearing her tummy. Not to sure what the vet will make of it all, and honestly I have my hopes but can't help but to remember she did this a few days ago to, where she did really good then got bad again. Kind of a fingers crossed, pinch of salt, kind of situation... Which if ibd in cats is like it is in humans the ups and downs would be a normal thing. Tom also had asthma and when we started mixing the clay litter with grass his asthma also got so much better.
It seems like IBD often is exactly like that, meaning up and down... our previous cat most likely had it (she was old and very frail, with several other illnesses, and couldn't be diagnosed properly) and her symptoms came and went for years.

Our cats also get 1/3 Sheba (or Iams or Nutro) portions every morning, until each has had an entire portion. That usually keeps Edwina from vomiting. First thing in the morning is the worst here, too, and sometimes the afternoon is bad, if she thinks she should be fed sooner. It's very good that you're finding these patterns. The more you know, the more you can work with the patterns to help keep her from vomiting. It's also good that her stomach's not gurgling. It does sound like she's on a positive trend, though I know exactly what you mean about remembering what happened a few days ago...

And how interesting that Tom's asthma also improved with a change of litter. It seems like Ireland's main trigger is now dust but back then it was Tidy Cat, which was very scented. I'm glad to have it out of the house!

Here's wishing you a quiet night!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I thought I had it figured out and she was doing better and then went back to noises and vomiting.
Oh no! Is your usual vet in today? I hope so. I hope they give you Cerenia or something similar... that can be so helpful while they're trying to figure things out and make a real diagnosis.

(We had an acid barf this morning, too... I'm not sure who it was but think it was Ireland...)

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Is your usual vet in today? I hope so. I hope they give you Cerenia or something similar... that can be so helpful while they're trying to figure things out and make a real diagnosis.

(We had an acid barf this morning, too... I'm not sure who it was but think it was Ireland...)
Yea, my vet was suppose to be in today and give me a call but now its noon and not a word... Maybe they have to wait for the end of the day like doctors for phone calls...

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally got my phone call, they don't know if its acid related or the IBD but they are going to start her on some anti-nausea meds. Not sure what it is but I'll get to go pick it up tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Acid related treatments would be things like Pepcid (famotidine). Anti-nausea could be ondansetron (more for nausea) or Cerenia (works with nausea but more for vomiting). Hope it helps, whatever they prescribe!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got my phone call, they don't know if its acid related or the IBD but they are going to start her on some anti-nausea meds. Not sure what it is but I'll get to go pick it up tomorrow.
I'm so glad to hear this! And I also hope whatever you get will help. Fingers crossed again!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going to try to go early in the morning. And I hope it works because feeding her tiny meals every 1 or 2 hours is wearing me down fast. HAHA i don't know how you keep it up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to try to go early in the morning. And I hope it works because feeding her tiny meals every 1 or 2 hours is wearing me down fast. HAHA i don't know how you keep it up.
Yes, the small meals are very hard to keep up. We only feed six a day, so you're way ahead of us!

I so hope the medicine, whatever it is, will help Meow Meow get out of this pattern she's in. Sometimes the medicine can be almost like a reset for the cat... that's what the Cerenia is like for Edwina. Let us know how it goes! I don't blame you for going as early as possible, I would, too, and I'm not even a morning person!

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cerenia for 8 days.... expensive meds $24

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia for 8 days.... expensive meds $24
Yes, it's not cheap. But it really worked for Edwina so the serenity of Cerenia was more than worth the money, just for being able to sleep through the night. I hope it works as well for Meow Meow.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's not cheap. But it really worked for Edwina so the serenity of Cerenia was more than worth the money, just for being able to sleep through the night. I hope it works as well for Meow Meow.
I gave her the pill as soon as I got home with it and now she’s throwing a tantrum doesn’t want anything to do with me or all the nice food I put out for her.... ugh haha

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave her the pill as soon as I got home with it and now she’s throwing a tantrum doesn’t want anything to do with me or all the nice food I put out for her.... ugh haha
Oops!

I was very lucky that Edwina would eat her Cerenia in a little dab of food, as long as it was something she liked and was pretty much guaranteed to lap up. She also might have had a very low dose: I only had to give her 1/4 of a pill and each 1/4 was just a little chip so it didn't take much effort to hide it in the food.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How's Meow Meow doing? I hope the Cerenia is helping!
Well her system was still making alot of sound last night, and she almost vomited, but she swallowed it and I'm thankful she did since she was sleeping on me... Her appitie has gone way down, she isn't eaten much now at all.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well her system was still making alot of sound last night, and she almost vomited, but she swallowed it and I'm thankful she did since she was sleeping on me... Her appitie has gone way down, she isn't eaten much now at all.
I'm glad she swallowed instead of vomiting. But her lack of appetite, hm. I hope it picks up soon. Are you still giving her the same things? Maybe a slightly different flavor (like turkey Sheba instead of chicken?) would entice her?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she swallowed instead of vomiting. But her lack of appetite, hm. I hope it picks up soon. Are you still giving her the same things? Maybe a slightly different flavor (like turkey Sheba instead of chicken?) would entice her?
The vet said to get her stable before adding other flavors...